Author Topic: Tyshawn Jones SOTY  (Read 66167 times)

versacekid420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1223
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Tyshawn Jones SOTY
« Reply #180 on: October 21, 2022, 09:53:09 PM »
So a former fa pro in the running for SOTY with a current fa pro.
The plot thickens.
the plot stays the same. two great skaters in contention for soty. same as it was 4 years ago

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #181 on: October 21, 2022, 10:09:19 PM »
part was good but not soty worthy.

Dirty Douggie

• Rep: 11
« Reply #182 on: October 21, 2022, 10:55:32 PM »
My man still looking like Roger Mancha with godlike abilities...

I watched his Blessed part the other days (which i prefered to this one) and i realized he had a clip rocking the infamous black and red Gareth Hill pants. I just thought it was funny.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #183 on: October 21, 2022, 11:16:22 PM »
people are reaching a bit in here. i did notice him going to the side on the end of the switch ollie upon my first watch & even rewound multiple times to verify. it could’ve been done better but, who else could do that in the world? it’s not like he popped over to the side initially, he went straight on and just shifted a bit at the end. you have to think about the fact that he’s coming in mach 10 rolling switch at an angle. i don’t think he purposefully shifted over, i just think that naturally at that speed with that angle your body would drift a bit sideways. after going back twice, already having shot the cover (assumably), & eating shit like he did rolling up, would you want to redo it? it still counts completely in my opinion and shouldn’t be disregarded, he didn’t drift over to the side completely, he still carried it to the end and just edged off a bit. & who cares if he barely clipped on the switch ollie straight over a handrail to nosegrind… i literally didn’t notice that at all until it was said & then had to replay twice to notice. cmon.

part was insane. i get what people say about his style that they don’t like but to me it just makes him more raw. like a kareem type style somewhat, long semi stiff legs with insane pop. if kareem wore the same shit tyshawn does back in the day i guarantee you it would look very similar. that 3 flip over the rail at china banks was very kareem esque to me, maybe that’s just me. he lands crouched after he nollie bs flips over a fucking bump to bar… well yeah i would imagine so. i honestly dig his style a lot and think it’s shaped up more & more to be completely one of a kind a long with his skating. fakie hardflip the street gap he fakie flips in supreme video & makes it look like nothing. the bs heel over the bump to bar in la is literally ridiculous, spot has been there forever and always just saw ollies until he takes it all the way with a bs heelflip in the middle of his first part. sw big heel over rail & nollie hardflip blubba looked like a walk in the park, same with bs flip up dylan gap. dude is just on a compete other level & it’s wild to watch him grow better & better while running a restaurant, doing all his big modeling gigs, having already gotten the trophy & probably going to get it once again, & about to start his own board brand (or already has just hasn’t launched). he’s an entrepreneur who is on top of the world right now & it’s fucking awesome to see.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #184 on: October 21, 2022, 11:50:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ya'll in denial if you think TJ WONT be SOTY this year.

It's his. Remember this post.
[close]

Agreed. Lightyears ahead of the game.

[close]

Not an aside at all, but do you currently hold the highest negative rep count on Slap?

No:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?action=profile;u=23999

It's not a "real" rep. One or a few mods set our reps to -65K a long time ago. I don't know why they set back 360frips rep. He was a nice British guy living in Hongkong. Sadly, he drowned in February 2016 after skating and hanging out a the seafront, accidently falling into the sea:

https://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/20160221/mobile/bkn-20160221111302729-0221_00822_001.html

Kind of sad/weird that his profile is still here (although  he didn't care too about the fake rep)

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #185 on: October 22, 2022, 12:14:46 AM »
RIP 360 frip

You seem like a nice guy, TheDraught.

I fucks with Tyshawn heavy.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
« Reply #186 on: October 22, 2022, 12:18:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ya'll in denial if you think TJ WONT be SOTY this year.

It's his. Remember this post.
[close]

Agreed. Lightyears ahead of the game.

[close]

Not an aside at all, but do you currently hold the highest negative rep count on Slap?
[close]

No:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?action=profile;u=23999

It's not a "real" rep. One or a few mods set our reps to -65K a long time ago. I don't know why they set back 360frips rep. He was a nice British guy living in Hongkong. Sadly, he drowned in February 2016 after skating and hanging out a the seafront, accidently falling into the sea:

https://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/20160221/mobile/bkn-20160221111302729-0221_00822_001.html

Kind of sad/weird that his profile is still here (although  he didn't care too about the fake rep)

im the original negative 65k lol

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #187 on: October 22, 2022, 07:44:37 AM »
Back noseblunt was tight. Still dont care for him but that was some busenitz meets cromer speed meets finesse
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #188 on: October 22, 2022, 08:45:43 AM »
Tyshawn could probably Ollie the Chinatown bench on flat

If not he could definitely Ollie next to it. Let’s be real he Ollie’s next to a lot of shit. He still good but it is what it is.

Part was good got me stoked. Dmx song was tight. Will watch again. I’m sure he’s got something up his sleeve still cause the subway footage wasn’t in this. So I kinda think this was throw away with a few bangers while that subway clip will be in a heavier part. Really good video part. But not SOTY worthy with this part. But that to be continued at the end I bet will have some heat. But some of y’all are really reaching in this thread.

It was nice being able to see tyshawn skate and not a super zoom in of his feet and ankles and not see the depth of the trick. Seeing non fat bill tyshawn footy reminds me of how good he actually is and how much fat bills filming takes away from tyshawns skating.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 08:52:57 AM by Murge »

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #189 on: October 22, 2022, 01:14:23 PM »
people are reaching a bit in here. i did notice him going to the side on the end of the switch ollie upon my first watch & even rewound multiple times to verify. it could’ve been done better but, who else could do that in the world? it’s not like he popped over to the side initially, he went straight on and just shifted a bit at the end. you have to think about the fact that he’s coming in mach 10 rolling switch at an angle. i don’t think he purposefully shifted over, i just think that naturally at that speed with that angle your body would drift a bit sideways. after going back twice, already having shot the cover (assumably), & eating shit like he did rolling up, would you want to redo it? it still counts completely in my opinion and shouldn’t be disregarded, he didn’t drift over to the side completely, he still carried it to the end and just edged off a bit. & who cares if he barely clipped on the switch ollie straight over a handrail to nosegrind… i literally didn’t notice that at all until it was said & then had to replay twice to notice. cmon.

part was insane. i get what people say about his style that they don’t like but to me it just makes him more raw. like a kareem type style somewhat, long semi stiff legs with insane pop. if kareem wore the same shit tyshawn does back in the day i guarantee you it would look very similar. that 3 flip over the rail at china banks was very kareem esque to me, maybe that’s just me. he lands crouched after he nollie bs flips over a fucking bump to bar… well yeah i would imagine so. i honestly dig his style a lot and think it’s shaped up more & more to be completely one of a kind a long with his skating. fakie hardflip the street gap he fakie flips in supreme video & makes it look like nothing. the bs heel over the bump to bar in la is literally ridiculous, spot has been there forever and always just saw ollies until he takes it all the way with a bs heelflip in the middle of his first part. sw big heel over rail & nollie hardflip blubba looked like a walk in the park, same with bs flip up dylan gap. dude is just on a compete other level & it’s wild to watch him grow better & better while running a restaurant, doing all his big modeling gigs, having already gotten the trophy & probably going to get it once again, & about to start his own board brand (or already has just hasn’t launched). he’s an entrepreneur who is on top of the world right now & it’s fucking awesome to see.
This post was very cheetahsheets-esque. 😘

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -437
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #190 on: October 22, 2022, 03:47:43 PM »
him pushing up to the switch ollie looked raw as fuck

When he did it he looked exactly like a wakeboarder catching air, not that interesting of a point but that’s immediately what I thought of

Best east coast skater of all time, if you described his skating to pops-obsessed preteen me i would have done a number 3 in my brown cords

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #191 on: October 22, 2022, 07:19:10 PM »
tyshawn's got my vote

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #192 on: October 22, 2022, 07:23:37 PM »
him pushing up to the switch ollie looked raw as fuck

I’m still rooting for Louie but this was pretty fucking sick.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
« Reply #193 on: October 23, 2022, 12:33:30 AM »
RIP 360 frip

You seem like a nice guy, TheDraught.

I fucks with Tyshawn heavy.

Thanks @EdLawndale. I just lost my temper once about a decade ago and still feel the consequences :) In fact one of the mods messaged me once and said he could set my rep back to zero but I declined. 

I am pretty mellow in general indeed. Especially here.  On Reddit for instance I can be quite mean and harsh in my  comments, but SLAP feels like a family after all those years, just like skaters in general.

@MFS cheers mate! Team -65k should get together some day. Do you have Tracers number?

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #194 on: October 23, 2022, 03:19:19 PM »

It’s gonna get more wild

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #195 on: October 23, 2022, 03:21:28 PM »

It’s gonna get more wild

lol BUT HE CLIPPED THAT RAIL!!!111
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #196 on: October 23, 2022, 04:51:06 PM »

It’s gonna get more wild

Fakie heel is probably the coolest trick to be done here

Lester Bullocks

• Rep: 18
« Reply #197 on: October 23, 2022, 09:34:20 PM »
Read his Thrasher interview and mad respect (already respected him but yeah), he's a smart, focused, self aware skate rat.

i halfcab board ledges

• Rep: 12
« Reply #198 on: October 24, 2022, 11:54:41 AM »

TLDR but from the beginning of ur argument i think it was just filmed at a shit angle and thats whats causing all the hating on it, no shit the trick is still fucked but he should have either done it right or gotten it filmed from a better angle
The year is 2364. Frog will be the only skateboard company.

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 463
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #199 on: October 24, 2022, 12:53:14 PM »
4Ply just published a quick statistical analysis of The General:
http://4plymag.com/thegeneral/

It digs deep into important things like percentage of tricks done in SF vs NYC, clips filmed while wearing a durag, and tricks landed on Hardies brand graphic griptape.

Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

chihuahuadad2000

• Rep: 26
« Reply #200 on: October 24, 2022, 01:36:27 PM »
Word on the street is T funk is filming a Baker part right now to be out by the end of the year.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #201 on: October 24, 2022, 02:53:31 PM »
Thats cute you think some one other than louie deserves it.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #202 on: October 24, 2022, 02:54:51 PM »
Thats cute you think some one other than louie deserves it.

That's cute you think anyone 'deserves' soty. It just is what it is.

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #203 on: October 24, 2022, 05:12:23 PM »
hey gang some french guys did the subway gap 4 years ago https://youtu.be/b5GCJ1czz38?t=628

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #204 on: October 24, 2022, 05:19:45 PM »
hey gang some french guys did the subway gap 4 years ago https://youtu.be/b5GCJ1czz38?t=628

What’s the time stamp for the kickflip? All I saw was someone ollie it, which has been done multiple times and discussed here before.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Blind Fisherman

« Reply #205 on: October 24, 2022, 05:20:15 PM »
Yeah, and someone did it prior to them. What’s your point?

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #206 on: October 24, 2022, 07:51:00 PM »
Think he took the same run up line for the kf? That video put into perspective how short of a time you have.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 984
« Reply #207 on: October 24, 2022, 08:54:16 PM »
he's gonna clip some of the blind bumps and everyone is gonna lose their shit

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #208 on: October 24, 2022, 10:57:31 PM »
he's gonna clip some of the blind bumps and everyone is gonna lose their shit

Or clean the subway gap at an angle. Wouldn‘t be a make in my book.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #209 on: October 25, 2022, 01:58:34 PM »

Yeah, well, we don’t give a f*ck about them.