Author Topic: Tyshawn Jones SOTY  (Read 66151 times)

TheDraught

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Tyshawn Jones SOTY
« Reply #210 on: October 25, 2022, 02:51:38 PM »
Expand Quote
hey gang some french guys did the subway gap 4 years ago https://youtu.be/b5GCJ1czz38?t=628
[close]

Yeah, well, we don’t give a f*ck about them.

I would like to add that this was an ollie, not a kickflip.

Sanka Coffie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
« Reply #211 on: October 25, 2022, 03:01:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
hey gang some french guys did the subway gap 4 years ago https://youtu.be/b5GCJ1czz38?t=628
[close]

[close]

I would like to add that this was an ollie, not a kickflip.

Also no blind bumps. And he's not French, that's Cuz

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #212 on: October 26, 2022, 05:39:39 PM »
Expand Quote
RIP 360 frip

You seem like a nice guy, TheDraught.

I fucks with Tyshawn heavy.
[close]

Thanks @EdLawndale. I just lost my temper once about a decade ago and still feel the consequences :) In fact one of the mods messaged me once and said he could set my rep back to zero but I declined. 

I am pretty mellow in general indeed. Especially here.  On Reddit for instance I can be quite mean and harsh in my  comments, but SLAP feels like a family after all those years, just like skaters in general.

@MFS cheers mate! Team -65k should get together some day. Do you have Tracers number?

@TheDraught it was BrooklynBrawler who honored me with the option of leaning fully to the dark side. Tracer just makes me miss ChildoftheGhetto honestly.

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #213 on: October 26, 2022, 05:50:45 PM »
Would be shocked if Tiago hasn't switch back tailed up some sort of hand rail at this point.

I could see nollie black tail, nollie back lip, switch back tail, or kf back tail from TJ. Backside nosegrind revert off the top would be the holy grail of up rail tricks.

Frontside half cab nose slide to fakie/switch out seems like the most feasible one to me, that trick is easy to lob up onto high shit and you can lean on it hard to slide up an escalator ledge without sliding out. That seems far more likely imo.
//////////

JRF

« Reply #214 on: October 26, 2022, 06:09:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Anybody hating on this is a buster, plain and simple. Hating for the sake of it.
[close]
I’m not hating on it (ok I am hating on that switch nose where he tapped his back wheel- I can’t believe they put that in). It was a good part. But the “OMG he’s SOTY no one can deny it after this part” takes are silly. That part wasn’t an instant SOTY part, and I don’t even think it was meant to be. The last two SOTYs came out with parts late in the year that everyone has forgotten but signaled they were going for SOTY. This part says it’s just the beginning. Right now he’s still way behind TFunk in my eyes.

He switch nose grinded that rail going over the back at the top! So what if he barely tapped his nose on the way out! That shit was bonkers just like everything in that part. I don’t understand how people don’t like his style, I think it’s awesome that he skates different than most of the people who skate the same shit he skates.plus if you go back and look at his parts over the past few years, starting with “away days” he’s done some groundbreaking, memorable shit that will be remembered for a very long time. Switch backside 180 back 5-0 down that rail in New York, varial flip the love fountain wearing white overalls, the trash can lines in that “killer” video part and so on. Dude is on another level.. one of only a few guys that I pay close attention too and make sure that I watch everything he puts out. That’s just my take on it. He’s worth paying attention to.
//////////

JRF

« Reply #215 on: October 26, 2022, 06:13:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
RIP 360 frip

You seem like a nice guy, TheDraught.

I fucks with Tyshawn heavy.
[close]

Thanks @EdLawndale. I just lost my temper once about a decade ago and still feel the consequences :) In fact one of the mods messaged me once and said he could set my rep back to zero but I declined. 

I am pretty mellow in general indeed. Especially here.  On Reddit for instance I can be quite mean and harsh in my  comments, but SLAP feels like a family after all those years, just like skaters in general.

@MFS cheers mate! Team -65k should get together some day. Do you have Tracers number?
[close]

@TheDraught it was BrooklynBrawler who honored me with the option of leaning fully to the dark side. Tracer just makes me miss ChildoftheGhetto honestly.

What ever happened to Brooklyn brawler? That dude was my favorite. I think I heard someone saying that he sort of went of on some of the posters on here when he was a moderator, I wasn’t on here or lurking during that time, so I don’t know the whole story of what went down.
//////////

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 404
« Reply #216 on: October 26, 2022, 06:23:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody hating on this is a buster, plain and simple. Hating for the sake of it.
[close]
I’m not hating on it (ok I am hating on that switch nose where he tapped his back wheel- I can’t believe they put that in). It was a good part. But the “OMG he’s SOTY no one can deny it after this part” takes are silly. That part wasn’t an instant SOTY part, and I don’t even think it was meant to be. The last two SOTYs came out with parts late in the year that everyone has forgotten but signaled they were going for SOTY. This part says it’s just the beginning. Right now he’s still way behind TFunk in my eyes.
[close]

He switch nose grinded that rail going over the back at the top! So what if he barely tapped his nose on the way out! That shit was bonkers just like everything in that part. I don’t understand how people don’t like his style, I think it’s awesome that he skates different than most of the people who skate the same shit he skates.plus if you go back and look at his parts over the past few years, starting with “away days” he’s done some groundbreaking, memorable shit that will be remembered for a very long time. Switch backside 180 back 5-0 down that rail in New York, varial flip the love fountain wearing white overalls, the trash can lines in that “killer” video part and so on. Dude is on another level.. one of only a few guys that I pay close attention too and make sure that I watch everything he puts out. That’s just my take on it. He’s worth paying attention to.

I know it gets brought up occasionally but the fact that he did a switch back 270 lip and a nollie front 270 lip on different rails as “filler” footage in a ridiculous 7+ minute part doesn’t get talked about enough.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #217 on: October 26, 2022, 07:56:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I mean- bonking on a nosegrind is bonking on a nosegrind. To me it’s like tail scraping a manual. It can be really crazy hard but it’s not exactly a make. My point is just that it’s not his best footy and on its own not a SOTY part, like, say, when Milton dropped Demolicion. Right now I think TFunks part is more of an insta-SOTY part.

Style is subjective and for whatever reason he’s not my thing. He’s got skills that no one else has for sure and I’m excited for the big part we know is coming. If he drops something really insane I’ll be cool with him winning. Mason, Foy and Suciu weren’t really my thing either but I thought they deserved it.

EmilioBestevez

• Rep: 71
« Reply #218 on: October 26, 2022, 08:24:20 PM »

I think it should be pointed out that the reason that bonk even happened is because he didn’t overcrook the nosegrind.  He almost nosegrinded perfectly straight which is so fucked.  If he was in overcrook position (like 99.9% of nosegrinds on rails) nothing would have clipped.  If you think about the physics of jumping over that rail and coming down it at that angle, it’s almost impossible not to catch unless you nosedive the landing.  That’s why nobody nosegrinds rails that way…that’s why that trick was so insane.  He took the harder approach.  If he changed his technique it would have been cleaner, but cleaner isn’t everything. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 08:35:23 PM by EmilioBestevez »

JRF

« Reply #219 on: October 26, 2022, 09:36:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I know it gets brought up occasionally but the fact that he did a switch back 270 lip and a nollie front 270 lip on different rails as “filler” footage in a ridiculous 7+ minute part doesn’t get talked about enough.

Damn! I didn’t know he did switch back 270 to lip on a rail! That’s amazingly fucked up! Got a link to that? I’d love to see that shit!
//////////

JRF

« Reply #220 on: October 26, 2022, 09:43:51 PM »

I think it should be pointed out that the reason that bonk even happened is because he didn’t overcrook the nosegrind.  He almost nosegrinded perfectly straight which is so fucked.  If he was in overcrook position (like 99.9% of nosegrinds on rails) nothing would have clipped.  If you think about the physics of jumping over that rail and coming down it at that angle, it’s almost impossible not to catch unless you nosedive the landing.  That’s why nobody nosegrinds rails that way…that’s why that trick was so insane.  He took the harder approach.  If he changed his technique it would have been cleaner, but cleaner isn’t everything.

This..  what you said right here.. if he didn’t start to level his board out at the end (in a straight up non-crooked nosegrind) he would’ve landed either in a switch nose manual or just straight landed with the nose (or tail being that it’s switch) straight into the ground and been thrown forward off of his board, he pretty much really didn’t have any other option but to level out his board so he wouldn’t dive bomb tail/nose first into the ground. Plus, look at the other tricks he’s done over the back of that rail, switch back lip, backside noseblunt slide. The switch nosegrind was obviously just a progression to the fucked up shit he’s already done over the back/top of that rail.
//////////

JRF

« Reply #221 on: October 26, 2022, 09:52:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I mean- bonking on a nosegrind is bonking on a nosegrind. To me it’s like tail scraping a manual. It can be really crazy hard but it’s not exactly a make. My point is just that it’s not his best footy and on its own not a SOTY part, like, say, when Milton dropped Demolicion. Right now I think TFunks part is more of an insta-SOTY part.

Style is subjective and for whatever reason he’s not my thing. He’s got skills that no one else has for sure and I’m excited for the big part we know is coming. If he drops something really insane I’ll be cool with him winning. Mason, Foy and Suciu weren’t really my thing either but I thought they deserved it.

I totally get that “style” is subjective and even a persons trick selection is subjective too. I mean, it’s obviously a “subjective” opinion that personally I would rather watch a video of paint drying than watch a Greg lutzka video part. So I get that it’s a matter of personal taste. I wouldn’t say that it’s lame that someone might not enjoy watching tyshawn skate because it’s obviously just a personal opinion. There are dudes that I can’t stand to watch clips of that the majority of people probably love to watch clips of (Sean paballo or however you spell his name is an example of someone that’s obviously good and people love to watch footage of but I just can’t get into that guy’s style, spot and trick selection, I just don’t find any of it interesting, but I can understand why other people are into his skateboarding) different strokes for different folks
//////////

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1223
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #222 on: October 26, 2022, 10:07:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I totally get that “style” is subjective and even a persons trick selection is subjective too. I mean, it’s obviously a “subjective” opinion that personally I would rather watch a video of paint drying than watch a Greg lutzka video part. So I get that it’s a matter of personal taste. I wouldn’t say that it’s lame that someone might not enjoy watching tyshawn skate because it’s obviously just a personal opinion. There are dudes that I can’t stand to watch clips of that the majority of people probably love to watch clips of (Sean paballo or however you spell his name is an example of someone that’s obviously good and people love to watch footage of but I just can’t get into that guy’s style, spot and trick selection, I just don’t find any of it interesting, but I can understand why other people are into his skateboarding) different strokes for different folks
how do you misspell a 5 letter, super common name

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #223 on: October 26, 2022, 10:09:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn! I didn’t know he did switch back 270 to lip on a rail! That’s amazingly fucked up! Got a link to that? I’d love to see that shit!

It’s in his Blessed part - insane too as it’s a blink and you miss it, one angle clip.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

JRF

« Reply #224 on: October 27, 2022, 01:25:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Do you think that when the horseshoe was invented there was any wonderment if a horse sock would be the next logical progression in horse hoof accessories?

Is pablo the super common name you’re referring to? Then I guess the most logical answer to how I misspelled a super common 5 letter name would be that I misspelled a super common 5 letter name because, well, I misspelled a super common 5 letter name.

That’s how it happened. If it was a super common 4 letter name? There’s a possibility that I could’ve spelled a super common 4 letter name wrong too, anything less than a super common 4 letter name spelled wrong would definitely be very concerning and borderline stupid on a grand scale of stupid, instead of just normal super common 5 letter name, illiterate stupid.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 01:45:22 AM by JRF »
//////////

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #225 on: October 27, 2022, 02:13:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Do you think that when the horseshoe was invented there was any wonderment if a horse sock would be the next logical progression in horse hoof accessories?

Is pablo the super common name you’re referring to? Then I guess the most logical answer to how I misspelled a super common 5 letter name would be that I misspelled a super common 5 letter name because, well, I misspelled a super common 5 letter name.

That’s how it happened. If it was a super common 4 letter name? There’s a possibility that I could’ve spelled a super common 4 letter name wrong too, anything less than a super common 4 letter name spelled wrong would definitely be very concerning and borderline stupid on a grand scale of stupid, instead of just normal super common 5 letter name, illiterate stupid.
Early socks were already made of animal skins/fur so they probably figured the horses didn't need them. I'm guessing after horseshoes they probably thought of some kind of horse dentures but never really succeeded

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #226 on: October 27, 2022, 06:17:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

average ohio resident

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #227 on: October 27, 2022, 03:22:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fucked up no one has pointed out how good this reference is

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #228 on: October 27, 2022, 04:52:20 PM »
I saw the switch Ollie. I don't think anyone can beat that
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #229 on: October 27, 2022, 06:21:13 PM »

Really good interview

New board company + video to go along with it next month and new supreme video confirmed.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #230 on: October 27, 2022, 07:28:52 PM »

Really good interview

New board company + video to go along with it next month and new supreme video confirmed.
tighten up !

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #231 on: October 28, 2022, 05:38:08 AM »
Well I’ve given in. I think he’s going to get it again now.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #232 on: October 28, 2022, 05:45:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Fucked up no one has pointed out how good this reference is
Super underrated, was about to quote it myself.

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #233 on: October 28, 2022, 06:18:33 AM »
Louie, Tyler Bledsoe, and all them better Tighten Up this SOTY season

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #234 on: October 28, 2022, 02:10:38 PM »
If you still think tfunk is gonna win SOTY this year, you need to stop lying to yourself and just accept that he won't.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

JRF

« Reply #235 on: October 28, 2022, 03:23:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
average ohio resident

I can live with that, haha!
//////////

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #236 on: October 28, 2022, 04:11:56 PM »
Wait this fool just used the word wonderment in his defense of misspelling Sean Pablo “Sean paballo” ?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #237 on: October 28, 2022, 05:29:43 PM »
Love that in his thrasher video he claims he doesn’t watch skate videos then later bashes people for releasing a bunch of parts with filler tricks just to release a lot of footage.   Besides it being contradictory, not exactly sure who he’s talking shit on.   Silva and Suciu definitely put in work in their parts no matter how much was released.   

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 722
  • Free Max B
« Reply #238 on: October 28, 2022, 05:42:33 PM »
Expand Quote
he's gonna clip some of the blind bumps and everyone is gonna lose their shit
[close]

Or clean the subway gap at an angle. Wouldn‘t be a make in my book.
Wut. You’re saying if he went at an angle, ultimately making the gap bigger and more plausible to ride away from, rather than quickly jumping off, makes that not a make? How

Free max b
FREE MAX B

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #239 on: October 28, 2022, 09:45:11 PM »
Love that in his thrasher video he claims he doesn’t watch skate videos then later bashes people for releasing a bunch of parts with filler tricks just to release a lot of footage.   Besides it being contradictory, not exactly sure who he’s talking shit on.   Silva and Suciu definitely put in work in their parts no matter how much was released.
thought it was funny when he said “i don’t care if you put out 30 minutes of footage. 27 of it sucked”