Author Topic: Tyshawn Jones SOTY  (Read 66168 times)

mooraga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
Re: Tyshawn Jones SOTY
« Reply #630 on: December 02, 2022, 07:08:08 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA YEAH YEAH SOTY!!! AHAHAHA

part from a few weeks ago was the best one, compared to the supreme one and this shitshow that was just released.
they should have mix everything and made a whole part instead

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #631 on: December 02, 2022, 07:14:37 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA YEAH YEAH SOTY!!! AHAHAHA

part from a few weeks ago was the best one, compared to the supreme one and this shitshow that was just released.
they should have mix everything and made a whole part instead
He literally made fun of Mark Suciu for doing exactly what Tyshawn just did. He didn’t say his name but in the thrasher interview he said he hates how dudes wait til the end of the year to drop parts to win soty. Only skater I know who has done that is Suciu. Mason Silva won it the year before with parts early in the year. Tyshawn then does the exact formula Suciu did.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #632 on: December 02, 2022, 07:45:42 AM »
i know it's quality over quantity, but in that 'kingdom come' part you can count the tricks on your fingers.

should've just thrown the clips into 'the general' and made that one hit a bit harder, imo.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #633 on: December 02, 2022, 07:52:11 AM »
i know it's quality over quantity, but in that 'kingdom come' part you can count the tricks on your fingers.

should've just thrown the clips into 'the general' and made that one hit a bit harder, imo.
100%. Plus for your last part to not really have an ender ender like the table switch ollie, not a great look. High rewatchability though, and hoping this is the start of him putting out parts more frequently (hopefully without fat bill ruining everything)

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #634 on: December 02, 2022, 10:35:46 AM »
100% SOTY

Bakers Bark

• Rep: 5
« Reply #635 on: December 02, 2022, 11:54:26 AM »
There was a nice dichotomy of skating to Cam and Jay in the supreme and then breaking out Ether for his King part. 

payme223

• Rep: -3
« Reply #636 on: December 02, 2022, 12:18:18 PM »
Not soty.

PisstickleTypeExperience

• Rep: -1
« Reply #637 on: December 02, 2022, 12:31:21 PM »
Tyshawns bitch ass already robbed Evan Smith in 2018 (The real SOTY that year)

He still hasn't released anything that's given me near as big a chub as Carlisle, T funk, Deedz, Spank, Nyjah, or Nick Garcia.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1223
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #638 on: December 02, 2022, 12:57:45 PM »

He still hasn't released anything that's given me near as big a chub as Carlisle, T funk, Deedz, Spank, Nyjah, or Nick Garcia.
that shit eating hippie wasn’t robbed. Tyshawn dropped the best part that year get over it

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #639 on: December 02, 2022, 01:44:05 PM »
Is the tre flip at the start of the Kingdom video he posted today in the Supreme video? I watched the Supreme vid last night but don't remember that clip..

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #640 on: December 02, 2022, 02:04:24 PM »
TJ tha trash can man
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #641 on: December 02, 2022, 02:48:05 PM »
Is the tre flip at the start of the Kingdom video he posted today in the Supreme video? I watched the Supreme vid last night but don't remember that clip..

2nd last trick, but it's filmed in a way where you can't really see the spot which is maybe why you missed it.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1223
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #642 on: December 02, 2022, 02:48:10 PM »
it is. Second to last clip

+35

• Rep: -16
« Reply #643 on: December 02, 2022, 03:15:31 PM »
giving some one the trophy for a few trash can tricks would be hmmmm stupid

blue

• Rep: -22
« Reply #644 on: December 02, 2022, 03:43:24 PM »
its crazy that soty is between two dudes in short shorts with awfully designed skateboard companies.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #645 on: December 02, 2022, 03:48:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
100%. Plus for your last part to not really have an ender ender like the table switch ollie, not a great look. High rewatchability though, and hoping this is the start of him putting out parts more frequently (hopefully without fat bill ruining everything)
Suciu took it to the next level, but Foy dropped his big part with that Ty video in his SOTY year, Kyle Walker's part was near the end of the year, etc. Ishod's Chronicles part dropped in like late November/early December. It's been like this for almost a decade. And, if you are seriously in the running and have stacked footage, I'm sure most sponsors/Thrasher would push for you to drop it even if you could save it 6 months longer and make an even more memorable part. Last people who's heavy parts I can remember dropping in the first half of the year and winning are Ave and Wes.

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -103
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
« Reply #646 on: December 02, 2022, 04:07:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Suciu took it to the next level, but Foy dropped his big part with that Ty video in his SOTY year, Kyle Walker's part was near the end of the year, etc. Ishod's Chronicles part dropped in like late November/early December. It's been like this for almost a decade. And, if you are seriously in the running and have stacked footage, I'm sure most sponsors/Thrasher would push for you to drop it even if you could save it 6 months longer and make an even more memorable part. Last people who's heavy parts I can remember dropping in the first half of the year and winning are Ave and Wes.

Wes was the last skater to win it who wasn’t backed by the financial clout of a global mega corporation.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #647 on: December 02, 2022, 04:14:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

Wes was the last skater to win it who wasn’t backed by the financial clout of a global mega corporation.
DC was owned by a pretty large publicly traded company. Although, I think he's the last skater to win it who didn't have a single DLX sponsor.  DC was spending like crazy around then. I think the last person to win without being on a big shoe company was Foy (but Redbull was pushing him) and prior to that Leo.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #648 on: December 02, 2022, 04:30:25 PM »
Big bench for the win. Should be no contest. Unless someone kickfliped it since.

Thrasher China Banks SF. It's done deal in my opinion.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Southernmost

• Rep: 116
« Reply #649 on: December 02, 2022, 08:08:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Also what's up up with the cheerleaders after every clip. It was like a reverse DC Dyrdek commercial.

[close]

lol I noticed that as well. I'm generally fine with people cheering after certain tricks when watching a part, but it was literally after every single clip.

I should have probably put this in the nine club thread, but I found it hilarious that Dyrdek had to put a square cap on that rail in order to grind it.
[close]

From memory.... I'm pretty sure for the filming permit they weren't allowed to scratch the rail and had to cover it or that was the story anyway.
[close]

Dyrdek BS - he coud skate it like everyone else without
permit and a big movie Szene.
It’s clear he was not able to skate the real rail- and he have done the typical DC/ Berra / Alien Workshop /Dyrdek move - and build a perfect skatepark set up in the street for creating commercial content.
It’s ok - it was one of the heavier moves from Dyrdek - and 20 stairs are 20 stairs - even if the bought permission to skate it -and stairs & rail are perfect.

But don’t hide behind your bought permission, that you need to cover the rail. Covering was in Dyrdeks interest.
[close]

Okay.. but he still did it regardless

He talks about the DC commercial on his Nine Club. Kelly brought up the same rumor and asked if he had to cover the rail due to permits or not scratching the rail. Rob laughed and said thanks for making him feel good but truth was the biggest rail he had done before that was like a 8-10 stair. Took 3 tries, said the kickflip too way longer. He’s pretty honest about his skating in the podcast. 

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #650 on: December 02, 2022, 08:31:14 PM »

I don't think Robbed is the right word, but he definitely had a career year. A really really great year... apparently he was out half of the year with a foot injury too. Makes it even more crazy.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1431
« Reply #651 on: December 02, 2022, 08:46:43 PM »
Not gonna lie, the tricks are gnarly as fuck, but fat bill fumbled on the one yard line with the subway kickflip and despite how hard as hell it is to skate to ether, I think the Hardies part and the new king part being cut up is diluting the end result. Especially after tj complained about suciu doing the same thing. Doesn't have the same punch that a more tightly edited combo first half Hardies, second half king part could have hit.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #652 on: December 02, 2022, 08:51:19 PM »
Not gonna lie, the tricks are gnarly as fuck, but fat bill fumbled on the one yard line with the subway kickflip and despite how hard as hell it is to skate to ether, I think the Hardies part and the new king part being cut up is diluting the end result. Especially after tj complained about suciu doing the same thing. Doesn't have the same punch that a more tightly edited combo first half Hardies, second half king part could have hit.

This is how I feel about it.

I personally want TFunk to win but am sort of expecting Nyjah to take it

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1431
« Reply #653 on: December 02, 2022, 08:56:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tfunk has a strong path with the China banks nbd and the fact that this new part is absolutely balls to the walls while still being incredibly creative

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #654 on: December 02, 2022, 09:20:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Tfunk has a strong path with the China banks nbd and the fact that this new part is absolutely balls to the walls while still being incredibly creative

Hope you’re right, couldn’t agree more

R$S_ONE

• Rep: 0
« Reply #655 on: December 02, 2022, 11:43:49 PM »
I guess that’s kinda it for Louie. Doesn’t seem like he’s gonna come out with anything

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #656 on: December 03, 2022, 09:25:37 AM »
I guess that’s kinda it for Louie. Doesn’t seem like he’s gonna come out with anything
Monday

Been held up by music rights

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 404
« Reply #657 on: December 03, 2022, 10:44:20 AM »

I’ll throw my two cents in and say LL never stood and still never stands a chance bc he’s “predictable” and safe in the eyes of SOTY. Skating is impeccable and the fits are modern greatness, but, he’s never pushing the boundary of previous SOTY awards. He doesn’t fit the award on multiple spectrums and I don’t intend this post to take away from what he’s contributed to skateboarding or the SOTY debate but its just not “thrasher” enough.

Scholesey

• Rep: 24
« Reply #658 on: December 03, 2022, 10:46:37 AM »

Maybe a hint about Tyshawn being SOTY again?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #659 on: December 03, 2022, 01:17:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Hope you’re right, couldn’t agree more
I think Nyjah will still get it but in five years the only videos from this year that will still be inspiring are TFunks two vids. Some other rail champ will one up Nyjah and Tyshawns vids are filmed so weirdly that they’ll age poorly. TFunks are classic- good songs, good filming, great, creative tricks at iconic spots  I hope TFunk gets it.