Author Topic: Was SLS Vegas 22 so shit that...  (Read 6015 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
Re: Was SLS Vegas 22 so shit that...
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2022, 09:12:46 PM »
One thing I like about this year is the bigger emphasis on run scores.  And this type of course prevented the best trick from just being a jam on the biggest rail.
I think they had it right a few years back where it was three runs then 7 tricks but keep 1 run and 4 trick scores. They've trimmed so much fat off the comp now obvs for better tv viewing but that only works if everything goes right. Now people basically are outright fucked if they don't get a great run because there's not enough single tricks to make up for it. It's happened in both men's and women's but seems more an issue in the women's but people have made podium with one run and only one or two singles

CurbyPuckit

• Rep: -39
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2022, 09:35:02 PM »
I don’t really watch street league, but how TF they give Gustavo such high scores for fuckin crooked grind nollie flip and crook nollie heel shuv.  I feel like local skatepark heros could crook nollie flip that thing.

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -277
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2022, 09:36:25 PM »
Jagger’s switch skills are under appreciated
Switch feeble back 1 was pretty nuts.

Yuto’s interview was pretty rough , awkward silence while his AI was computing was too funny

bohemian

• Rep: -318
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2022, 10:57:41 PM »
so fed up watching the same old faces doing the same tricks over and over. even new guy hoban is a rapidly becoming a snoozefest. mixed up with easily the worst sls course ever and the main contenders hurt, this was a shitshow. still watched it like a dumb fuck.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 432
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2022, 03:37:18 AM »
I always watch the prelims hoping that some of the actual skaters will make the final instead of the Cariuma kooks. Only one of them on the podium plus Joslin and Hoban is about as good a result as you could hope for if Yuto isn’t competing, Sora fucks up his run and Shane falls apart. At least it wasn’t Koston Eaton’s brother.

Is still enjoy watching SLS though, in a sports sort of way.

Winning on a crooked grind whatever out should be banned from now on. Fine if you do that in the middle of your run but not as a single trick.

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2022, 04:05:07 AM »
sls has the option to not be shit?? what world are you guys living in

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2022, 04:18:07 AM »
there was lots to take in here but i still enjoyed watching. course was about the size of shane oniells back yard (possible smaller). nobody skated well aside from jolson and the tre flip guy. tbh it seems crazy to hold an event like that in vegas and not sell tickets. and why are they drinking out of the tiny complimentary water bottles i get at the honda dealership?
Lmao. This should be his official nickname moving forward
ableSkateMag.com

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 115
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2022, 05:57:12 AM »
They really should do these at actual plazas/spots or something to mix it up. This course was so damn small, and constantly being in these indoor high school gym looking places makes it even more...sterile and anti-septic. I mean, I get that it is a contest so there's always going to be an element of structure and order, but you might as well spice it up as much as possible and have them at actual outdoor spots to give it some life.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2022, 06:19:25 AM »
Just seen some replay on instagram. The course looks way shittier than precedent years.
Also what happened to the spectators? It looks so empty. Also funny to see more Cariuma skaters than Nike

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2022, 06:47:20 AM »
The courses have progressively gotten worse. There needs to be some mixup. Not sure exactly what but a staple 12 stair along with some form of mano v mano at the end. Maybe even crowd scoring or live internet score?  They need to juice this up

Ghost Face

• Rep: 108
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2022, 06:58:59 AM »
SLS was hoping to continue being THE olympic qualifying events but that faded away. Now they are just holding events to stay relevant and get some marketing funding from non-skate brands while they can.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

ek27

• Rep: 6
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2022, 07:02:10 AM »
This was always the venue they had planned for, but they moved the dates to accommodate a World Skate contest that ended up getting cancelled anyway.

This stop was originally supposed to be in an arena in Sydney, Australia but was moved to Vegas before announcing the 2022 schedule.  I assume Covid restrictions and the cost of putting on an international event were big factors.

They get the same sponsorship fee from brands whether it's a big arena stop or at a public skatepark, and in some cases the cities' tourism boards pay them to be there as well.  That is why they keep going to Jacksonville lol.  Given the recent acquisition of SLS by a group including UFC president Dana White, I assume they got the venue for free, pocket the sponsorship money and on to the next...

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2022, 07:10:32 AM »

This had to be like some weird deal or something with the UFC to use that venue. There's no other reason to have a tiny course on a venue that small. With no crowd. There was no flow in it the lines without a middle section. Joslin almost landed that first bigflip on the bank on the opposite side. My only other thought is that SLS was testing the idea of scaling down the event so they could host them in like a school gym, mall, or arby's parking lot.

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2022, 09:41:41 AM »
Just seen some replay on instagram. The course looks way shittier than precedent years.
Also what happened to the spectators? It looks so empty. Also funny to see more Cariuma skaters than Nike

the courses this year (aside from this atrocity) have been the best they've ever had.  Seattle's was really interesting. 

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2022, 09:57:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Jagger’s switch skills are under appreciated
[close]
Switch feeble back 1 was pretty nuts.

Yuto’s interview was pretty rough , awkward silence while his AI was computing was too funny

Jagger does have some switch skills but its overshadowed by the fits and the contrived (in my opinion) Luan style arm cross he does.

Yuto gets a pass since English isn't his first language. I got mad respect for him actually putting in the effort to try and speak English on the spot like that instead of using an interpreter. Learning a second language is not easy.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2022, 09:57:32 AM »

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2022, 10:00:30 AM »
Expand Quote
just checked out the youtube stream, what happened to my boy felix ?!?!
[close]
You've been gone some time they don't even get Chris Cole and Rowley anymore. Wonder how much they pay Alex white
I vividly remember Felix saying, "To all the non-skaters watching at home: Switchstance is like when a right-handed baseball player can swing with both his right and left hands…" or something like that.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2022, 10:10:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
You've been gone some time they don't even get Chris Cole and Rowley anymore. Wonder how much they pay Alex white
[close]
I vividly remember Felix saying, "To all the non-skaters watching at home: Switchstance is like when a right-handed baseball player can swing with both his right and left hands…" or something like that.

They also kept referring to the the new people as “roookies”

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

Mitch Brenner

• Rep: -14
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2022, 10:39:34 AM »
anyone got any idea why it was held in that venue? Tiny venue, tiny course, seems insane.

Hoban is insane, dudes gonna do great things, can’t wait for 28 year old millionaire Braden.

UFC Apex in Las Vegas. Essentially a "studio" built to host their small fight cards so they can do things in house and save on production instead of hitting the road.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2022, 11:06:06 AM »
It'd be cool if they did an actual STREET event - i get that it wouldn't appeal to a lot of people. but i don't know, same event format just at like macba or some other multi-obstacle/optional streetscape.

i wasn't that offended by the small course.

i think they should ban a few trixx - bigspin boardslide and bigger flips {on their own or into anything}.

either way don't really care. i always get baked and watch them regardless of how shit they are.

I feel about it the same way. I watch it to turn off my brain for awhile so usually before sleep or hung over on the weekend. I always hope somebody new will make the finals and that the usual top guys will do some new tricks. It rarely happens. Braden Hoban getting second place this time was really cool! I was rooting for him to win.
Usually the prelims are more interesting than the finals, because there is much more variety there. Sucio, Foy, Hoban and Yuto when he does new tricks are my favorites in street league right now. Also, I always root for Manny just because we are the same age.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2022, 01:25:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

That might be because the term rookie, by definition, means first year doing something. It's hobans first year in sls.

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2022, 02:17:54 PM »
This was always the venue they had planned for, but they moved the dates to accommodate a World Skate contest that ended up getting cancelled anyway.

This stop was originally supposed to be in an arena in Sydney, Australia but was moved to Vegas before announcing the 2022 schedule.  I assume Covid restrictions and the cost of putting on an international event were big factors.

They get the same sponsorship fee from brands whether it's a big arena stop or at a public skatepark, and in some cases the cities' tourism boards pay them to be there as well.  That is why they keep going to Jacksonville lol.  Given the recent acquisition of SLS by a group including UFC president Dana White, I assume they got the venue for free, pocket the sponsorship money and on to the next...

Thanks for that.

One interesting thing is how young the female skaters (teens, preteen even) are and how the men’s division has plenty of guys now in their thirties. It might be time for some new blood, and not the occasional Hoban.

Also, like the idea of taking over plazas, parks and erecting stands around them for the fans, that could be fun.

“Gnarly, there is a massive pro contest coming to our local park, I wonder what (so and so) can do on that (obstacle).!”

The commentators need to stop constantly referring to the scores and shouting out numbers, we all can follow the rankings on the screen, but some of us just want to watch some live skateboarding. Talk about what you just shat out for breakfast if you have to, but not: “Ah, 2.6…could improve to a 5…needs 7.8 for third to last place…yes, a 6.0 is just about right…”

There is more numerology involved in Street League than a baseball game these days and that is hard to do.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 02:29:24 PM by sluggers »

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2022, 02:24:04 PM »
There is only so much interest you can generate watching the same skaters going for the same tricks they're comfortable with. The judging is also very idiotic.

I also think a dime/CPHO style event would generate more interest from the general public at this point. It would kinda be like how WWF is to wrestling entertainment as opposed to actual wrestling, which is kinda boring as fuck to watch unless you know the ins and outs of the sport.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2022, 02:35:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

That might be because the term rookie, by definition, means first year doing something. It's hobans first year in sls.

Yes I know it’s his first year, there was also several other people new to it overall. Just saying makes it sound like a sport. I know they are probably trying to relate it to people who don’t skate, but I just feel like there should be separation between skateboarding and sports. But maybe that’s because jocks and skaters used to beef all the time. I mean there are def skatejocks nowadays though, like Nyjah,Zion,       Jagger with his big league chew, etc. so I get it.

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2022, 02:44:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes I know it’s his first year, there was also several other people new to it overall. Just saying makes it sound like a sport. I know they are probably trying to relate it to people who don’t skate, but I just feel like there should be separation between skateboarding and sports. But maybe that’s because jocks and skaters used to beef all the time. I mean there are def skatejocks nowadays though, like Nyjah,Zion,       Jagger with his big league chew, etc. so I get it.

P.Rod’s entire energy drink sponsor commercial during the prelims was all about how cool it was that he and skateboarding were embracing the jock mentality and inherent athleticism in skating including clips of him lifting weights, testing out the new energy drink concoction in the lab, and boasting about hanging out with the CEO. It was pretty cringe.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2022, 03:01:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

P.Rod’s entire energy drink sponsor commercial during the prelims was all about how cool it was that he and skateboarding were embracing the jock mentality and inherent athleticism in skating including clips of him lifting weights, testing out the new energy drink concoction in the lab, and boasting about hanging out with the CEO. It was pretty cringe.

Def sounds cringe. I always fast forward through the breaks, glad I missed that one.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2022, 03:03:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Was that a skatepark for ants?
[close]
;D

yo when I saw that course I thought ...recession finally hit SLS

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2022, 03:10:02 PM »
the masseuse had wild long fake nails. she couldn't be giving the nicest massages...

also, not sure why - but i just have subtitles on youtube all the time. i guess i'm always doing a few things at once so it helps to be able to read as well as listen...whatever. the auto subtitles are pretty funny sometimes. during the women's final it said something along the lines of if not exactly this;

"it's lovely to watch gay porn and a bigspin boardslide"

i believe the actual audio was "Momiji is lovely to watch on her skateboard. And there's a bigspin boardslide..."
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Dick Dastardly

• Rep: 9
  • Muttley!!!
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2022, 05:39:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thats the woman doing the on course interviews right? Fuck me they could of at least hired someone who can speak with confidence and coherency. All the interviews are cringey as fuck
Muttley!!!!

Southernmost

• Rep: 117
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2022, 09:45:12 PM »
Andrew Cannon commenting on Braden’s gap to 5050 was interesting. “Look at the way he just sucks that up right there.”