Author Topic: Slappy Front Crook  (Read 1177 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Slappy Front Crook
« on: October 10, 2022, 02:19:28 PM »
Anyone have some words of wisdom on these?  I think they look really cool but I’m clueless when it comes to actually doing one.

What’s going on with my weight to get up there?

Are they easier to learn than popping into one?(which I also can’t do haha)  I have bs crooks and fs noseslides halfway decently, but I have a suspicion that neither would be particularly useful.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
Re: Slappy Front Crook
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 05:45:31 PM »
My very unhelpful advice, aka how I did it:

1. Learn fs crooks on a small ledge.
2. Do some bs slappy crooks
3. Do the exact same thing but opposite (heel to toe movement)

Everything after step 1 is easy, but that first step took me forever

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 03:12:42 AM »
dont be scared
go fast
turn like your doing fs noseslide and push up but stay light on the toes
get on top of the curb and lean

idk its a slappy man you can figure it out in like a half hour

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 05:55:28 AM »
Posted this in the other slappy thread on the UWT forum so repost….

Here’s my tips FWIW…

Wax helps but too much wax means you slip out easy.

I don’t consciously weight my heel at all,

Front foot is at 45 degrees maybe toes very slightly hanging off, back foot on the bolts or just behind.

Approach at a bit less than 45 degrees and carve in on your toes ever so slightly on final approach ( so you hit at about 45 )

Just before your wheels hit, (& this is the key bit!) push the board slightly in front of you and unweight the front foot so the front wheels are weightless as they actually hit the curb and can ride up.

Immediately weight the ball/ toes of your front foot and stand up on it but still pushing forward if that makes sense!

Hopefully you can see the above in this clip, I’ve kinda scrubbed back and forth to show what I’m describing,

https://i.imgur.com/Sc1wNLP.mp4

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 05:46:10 PM »
Posted this in the other slappy thread on the UWT forum so repost….

Here’s my tips FWIW…

Wax helps but too much wax means you slip out easy.

I don’t consciously weight my heel at all,

Front foot is at 45 degrees maybe toes very slightly hanging off, back foot on the bolts or just behind.

Approach at a bit less than 45 degrees and carve in on your toes ever so slightly on final approach ( so you hit at about 45 )

Just before your wheels hit, (& this is the key bit!) push the board slightly in front of you and unweight the front foot so the front wheels are weightless as they actually hit the curb and can ride up.

Immediately weight the ball/ toes of your front foot and stand up on it but still pushing forward if that makes sense!

Hopefully you can see the above in this clip, I’ve kinda scrubbed back and forth to show what I’m describing,

https://i.imgur.com/Sc1wNLP.mp4

Thank you so much, that’s the kind of detail my untalented ass needs.  Looking forward to trying them next session.  Please accept a well-earned gnar.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 07:49:18 PM »
I was watching a clip of me doing them to try and figure out what makes them work (I feel like I learn and lose these constantly).  When I do them best I come in at a 45 degree angle and at the last second carve into the curb so I’m slightly more parallel.  I think this carve forces a little bit of a heelside lean that helps the wheel suck up onto the curb and lock in and makes me slide in almost a sweeping motion.  For me these end up feeling much more like a front nose than a nosegrind (I say this because I’m not good at slappy backside crooks and they often dont have that same tweaked noseslide feel like when I pinch the frontside ones well).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 07:56:06 PM by big_kev_215 »

Suangi

• Rep: 9
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 12:22:04 PM »
I recently learned them so can give my advice...

I have always been good at the backside ones but could never get the fs right. So I thought back to how I learned the bs ones back in the day and remembered that I used to 100s of nose stalls and then crooked stalls on our local curb. That in turn led to riding into them faster and grinding.

So what I did was a load of front crook stalls on a curb until I was comfy standing on it. Riding straight at the curb or at a slight angle. Then just rode into it more and more until it worked.

Now I have a nice groove on both sides

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 12:13:35 PM »
to those who have this, did you have fs crooks on ledges? those are impossible for me and I wonder if its a good idea to skip it and go straight for the slappy.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 12:50:28 PM »
to those who have this, did you have fs crooks on ledges? those are impossible for me and I wonder if its a good idea to skip it and go straight for the slappy.

Not saying I have them but I could do them on a parking block and sometimes get a shitty one to fakie in a curb but there‘s absolutely no way I would even dream of trying one on a ledge. So by all means, skip it.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 12:58:22 PM »

I can slappy front crook but its not great. Much better at the switch one. I can nollie/fakie front crook on ledges without too much trouble but for the life of me cannot regular/sw front crook.

So I think if you can stand in pinch and imagine yourself grinding and nudging out I'd say being able to ollie into them on ledges is definitely not a prerequisite.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 05:25:32 PM »
I would end someone’s life to learn this trick.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2023, 03:29:27 PM »
Nope. Just learned them on curbs. Now that I can do them on curbs it doesn’t sound hard to do them on ledges but I haven’t tried yet