Author Topic: HSS/ Flash Photography issues  (Read 364 times)

ReAktwo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
HSS/ Flash Photography issues
« on: October 16, 2022, 11:55:25 AM »
Hello

I was hoping for help from people who are into shooting photos

I am using a Canon7d
2x Canon Speedlight 430ex II
YN622c-TX Controller
2 x YN622c Receiver

As I want to shoot more during daylight but still light up the skater I have to shoot in HSS and Manual Mode

Honestly the power is very low of the flashes and I am wondering if I am making a mistake in the setup.

Thanks a lot for helping.

Tabletop

• Rep: -74
Re: HSS/ Flash Photography issues
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 05:57:32 PM »
Hello

I was hoping for help from people who are into shooting photos

I am using a Canon7d
2x Canon Speedlight 430ex II
YN622c-TX Controller
2 x YN622c Receiver

As I want to shoot more during daylight but still light up the skater I have to shoot in HSS and Manual Mode

Honestly the power is very low of the flashes and I am wondering if I am making a mistake in the setup.

Thanks a lot for helping.

Send some pics.
Hard to understand from that explanation.
Include what shutter speed your shooting at.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 06:27:01 PM »
Shooting HSS with speedlites will diminish the power. This is where you need something more powerful like a strobe. Even when you shoot HSS with strobes, the power will drop but since the strobes are more powerful, it can still produce enough light in the daytime. Also if you are using speedlites during the daytime, it can help if you place the lights closer to the skater. So perhaps shooting fisheye can help since you are pretty close to the skater anyways. You can also just buy another flash and buy a bracket that holds them together to emit one powerful flash.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 06:36:15 AM »
Hey @ReAktwo , I've more or less got the same setup as you and had a similar issue recently.

I would suggested watching this video:

http://youtu.be/9MWPa6i19yc

It's a bit long and at times unnecessarily complex but it ultimately helped me get a better understanding of ways to work around this issue.

In short, set your flashes on manual, let your shutter speed  control the power output of your flash. Keep an eye on the distance specified on the back of your flash and set it at a corresponding distance to your subject.

Since I started using the distance meter thing on the back of the flash, flash photography has become much easier to understand.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps