Author Topic: SOBRIETY  (Read 46757 times)

Huell Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
Re: SOBRIETY
« Reply #930 on: March 19, 2024, 09:09:08 AM »
Coming up on 3 years without drinking next week. life is still hard(that ain’t changin) but 1000x more manageable. way less reactionary to bullshit and quicker to fix problems.

I have forgotten until day of the last two years to try and do something to “celebrate” the time passing so it’s been lackluster, but this year I’m going to do it up. Maybe go eat a nice/fancy dinner…

anyone else do anything when they hit milestones?

hmmoookay

• Rep: 58
  • content nausea
« Reply #931 on: March 19, 2024, 09:10:06 AM »
props to all sharing updates! always feels good reading these updates.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Traveled this weekend for the first time since quitting booze and man, travel is definitely a trigger for me. Or at least, all my habits while traveling have been centered around drinking. Didn’t drink but definitely dealt with a really wide range of emotions. I think my brain was trying to figure out what the fuck to do in a new place and free time and none of my routines from at home. Normally traveling meant drink on the way there, bar hop the whole time being there, suffer or hair of the dog the whole way back.
[close]

Man, totally relate to this and have been thinking about it a lot lately. I was always a really big traveler going all over the world. But I am now worried about getting out of my current routine comfort zone and getting back on the sauce to cope with those disruptions. When ever I traveled I was drinking before, during and on the way back everyday. Hopefully I can figure out a way to do it, probably need to start small and not jump into some big international trip or anything.
[close]

only time i thought about drinking recently was traveling. i was stuck in an airport, tired and had a long day of traveling ahead of me.

"this is the kind of situation that drinking is made for..."

but it was a fleeting thought. i'm more or less in a new mental space where my nights are about resting up so i can have a killer day and not about unwinding from a shitty day.

I was literally thinking about this as my morning was kind of going to shit today, just thankful to at least not be dealing with a hangover and being dehydrated on top of already being frustrated with the mornings sequence of events and an already upset stomach. Could be worse, it has been worse, but at least I'm doing my best to not make it worse today.

hmmoookay

• content nausea
« Reply #932 on: March 19, 2024, 09:14:32 AM »
Coming up on 3 years without drinking next week. life is still hard(that ain’t changin) but 1000x more manageable. way less reactionary to bullshit and quicker to fix problems.

I have forgotten until day of the last two years to try and do something to “celebrate” the time passing so it’s been lackluster, but this year I’m going to do it up. Maybe go eat a nice/fancy dinner…

anyone else do anything when they hit milestones?

I did order in some excellent pizza when I hit two years recently, but otherwise the day was pretty normal with the added pat on the back I gave myself when I woke up. It's funny, I'm not much of a going out person but I did kind of want to go get dinner somewhere with family but it just didn't work out that weekend. If I'm lucky, I'll have more milestones to do that another time. Congrats on the incoming 3 years, huge accomplishment!

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
« Reply #933 on: March 19, 2024, 09:18:16 AM »
last beer was on boxing day (dec 26th) not sure where i am going from here.... but really not missing it...

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #934 on: March 19, 2024, 11:01:55 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Traveled this weekend for the first time since quitting booze and man, travel is definitely a trigger for me. Or at least, all my habits while traveling have been centered around drinking. Didn’t drink but definitely dealt with a really wide range of emotions. I think my brain was trying to figure out what the fuck to do in a new place and free time and none of my routines from at home. Normally traveling meant drink on the way there, bar hop the whole time being there, suffer or hair of the dog the whole way back.
[close]

Man, totally relate to this and have been thinking about it a lot lately. I was always a really big traveler going all over the world. But I am now worried about getting out of my current routine comfort zone and getting back on the sauce to cope with those disruptions. When ever I traveled I was drinking before, during and on the way back everyday. Hopefully I can figure out a way to do it, probably need to start small and not jump into some big international trip or anything.
[close]

only time i thought about drinking recently was traveling. i was stuck in an airport, tired and had a long day of traveling ahead of me.

but it was a fleeting thought. i'm more or less in a new mental space where my nights are about resting up so i can have a killer day and not about unwinding from a shitty day.

Really encouraging to hear I’m not alone in these particular feelings. I have therapy today and it’ll be great to dissect this a bit there as well.

Definitely enjoying my days more without alcohol - I was totally rushing through work/chores/whatever before to get to the point in the day where I could justify starting drinking.

Congrats to those of yall hitting milestones now/soon!

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #935 on: March 19, 2024, 12:52:46 PM »
it gets easier the longer you go. i'm somewhere around 9 years off the fermented sauce. I once asked this older cat who mentored me why they quit drinking and he said "i never would have gotten anything done other than drinking if I kept drinking." sometimes it helps to take inventory of what i've gotten done and am doing that most likely wouldn't have happened were i still getting fucked up

-i'm alive and pretty well when most of the old ones passed on
-working mostly for myself since around the time i stopped
-traveled all over creation
-earned a master's degree
-got a home with no help
-been with the same partner in a good, strong relationship
-im skating on the regular
-building relationships with important and skilled members of my chosen field
-avoided unintended kids or diseases
-learned to fix/repair engines and cars in general
-learned to train a dog to a higher than basic pet level
-no record
-no dui

i'm not posting this to gloat or boast, but just taking stock on a particularly shitty feeling day to remind myself that life is alright and it's a long journey. before i got kicked outta boot camp the thing that stuck was "the days are long, but the months fly by." life is like that sometimes, ya know?
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #936 on: March 20, 2024, 09:41:06 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Really encouraging to hear I’m not alone in these particular feelings. I have therapy today and it’ll be great to dissect this a bit there as well.

Definitely enjoying my days more without alcohol - I was totally rushing through work/chores/whatever before to get to the point in the day where I could justify starting drinking.

Congrats to those of yall hitting milestones now/soon!

my wife and i talk a lot about being freed from the mental baggage of drinking and the race to happy hour everyday was a big part of it. it's just there on your mind all day. then other parts being annoyed when you eat out because it takes so long to get your drink. having to plan your workouts and fitness around having enough calories to dedicate to alcohol. i'm bored more than i used to be but also free from that mental baggage.

Natas_Fauxas

• Rep: 70
« Reply #937 on: March 20, 2024, 03:38:31 PM »
Still here still sober. I have a craving for some whiskey every once in a while. I just do something else to try to forget. Do the cravings ever go away? Or am i gonna have that forever?

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #938 on: March 21, 2024, 10:24:12 AM »
I thought travelling would be rough without booze as well, but then I went on a solo road trip and it was amazing.  So much more time and energy to actually see and do things.  No planning around drinking or not drinking, just pure freedom.  A brewery is a brewery, a glass of wine is a glass of wine.  The things you’ll see and experience away from home are worth so much more than a slightly different drink.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #939 on: March 22, 2024, 11:16:44 AM »
I thought travelling would be rough without booze as well, but then I went on a solo road trip and it was amazing.  So much more time and energy to actually see and do things.  No planning around drinking or not drinking, just pure freedom.  A brewery is a brewery, a glass of wine is a glass of wine.  The things you’ll see and experience away from home are worth so much more than a slightly different drink.

Wait. Wait. Wait. Whaaaaat!?! You planned around drinking? Damn, G. Sorry to hear that 😂

Only thing i planned was to never run out. I drank all the time. On the road. On the rails. In the air. Walking in the park. Riding a bike… GROSS!!!

Glad you’re alive, dood. Glad you’re well and enjoying the fruits of life
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

phony sock

• Rep: 1
« Reply #940 on: March 22, 2024, 10:33:48 PM »
i put the bottle down in 2023. i was just about dead. a breathing corpse.

im slowly getting better. now im just hoping i can stick with the program and stay sober.

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #941 on: March 24, 2024, 09:18:02 PM »
I'll be thee months no booze in a few weeks. I've been craving sweets like a mother fucker though...chocolate bars and candy, even Pepsi and pop. I don't normally have a sweet tooth, and I never would drink pop. One of the dollar stores in my city has these weird Turkish chocolate bars, amd ones called 4fun and it's absolutely delicious and is only 60¢. I'm not proud , but I've been crushing those.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 09:24:44 PM by Ankle_Lift »

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #942 on: March 24, 2024, 09:49:13 PM »
Just reading through this thread and wanna give all you guys who have kicked, trying or thinking about kicking booze a shoutout for making sick life changing moves.  It's fucked how hard it is to quit as it's so available, encouraged and easy to self medicate with it.  Inspiring shit, love it.

hmmoookay

• content nausea
« Reply #943 on: March 25, 2024, 05:02:25 AM »
I'll be thee months no booze in a few weeks. I've been craving sweets like a mother fucker though...chocolate bars and candy, even Pepsi and pop. I don't normally have a sweet tooth, and I never would drink pop. One of the dollar stores in my city has these weird Turkish chocolate bars, amd ones called 4fun and it's absolutely delicious and is only 60¢. I'm not proud , but I've been crushing those.

I was never a big sweets guy until I quit drinking, you'll eventually phase out of it, enjoy it for now though haha. If you're lucky, you'll strike a nice balance. I did for a bit but now I can hardly get through a whole soda without just kinda being over it, which I guess is a healthy balance I suppose, but sometimes I find it hard to enjoy sweets now. I'm sure my body is happier for it though! Congrats on three months!  :)

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #944 on: March 25, 2024, 05:49:18 AM »
Still here still sober. I have a craving for some whiskey every once in a while. I just do something else to try to forget. Do the cravings ever go away? Or am i gonna have that forever?

i'm in the 8-9 month range and cravings stopped for me probably 2-3 months in, maybe more. i then had more situational cravings, in restaurants, etc. but those went away for me around 6 month mark. these days when i see other people drinking it just reinforces me because it looks unhealthy to me now like smoking cigarettes or something like that.

Expand Quote
[close]

I was never a big sweets guy until I quit drinking, you'll eventually phase out of it, enjoy it for now though haha. If you're lucky, you'll strike a nice balance. I did for a bit but now I can hardly get through a whole soda without just kinda being over it, which I guess is a healthy balance I suppose, but sometimes I find it hard to enjoy sweets now. I'm sure my body is happier for it though! Congrats on three months!  :)

i eat way more sweets but there was definitely a spike and then flattening of the curve. we are on our first night of spring break and i hung out playing video games and listening to music with my 13 and 16 year old and then we did a late night mission to get their first malt shakes at whataburger and candy at the corner store. blasted music the whole way. it was pretty much today's version of partying for me. up at 6:30 and feel great this morning.

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #945 on: March 25, 2024, 08:25:59 AM »
Good news that the sugar craving will subside. I've never been a big sugar guy, it's terrible for you. Plus my kid will eat candy at any possible chance so if I have candy I have to share it with her.

A guy at work had the whole work crew of dudes, about 10, over to his place two weeks ago after work on a Friday to hang out in his shop and he fed us and had snacks and stuff, big drinking session as well.

I stuck to the NA Coronas and left at 930, felt great when i woke at six to go to the ski hill and take the kid to ski lessons and ride while she was in her lessons.
When I heard about their hang overs on monday, It brought back that hangover anxiety feeling, on their part.
I don't miss that feeling, at all. You know the feeling, "hangxiety"? you wake up, and you don't know what happened, what you did, who you pissed of, or what you ended up breaking?

Pile that on with the daily anxiety and no wonder I was a mess.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #946 on: March 25, 2024, 01:48:42 PM »
Shout out to everyone who has updated in the thread recently. I have a really good support group of friends/family but I find that the anonymous group setting here is really nice too because there’s no pressure or anything personal really, we’re just internet strangers with similar goals.

I also noticed the sweets craving/food cravings in general. I didn’t give them much thought because my main focus is kicking booze and whatever I gotta do to get there (within reason) I’m ok with. I’ve been eating more and eating more treats and I’m still down 12 lbs since January.

I’m getting absolutely crushed at work right now - I’m in tech and pretty sure my company is gearing up for more layoffs. The good news is even though my anxiety is through the roof, I’m not sleeping, etc - drinking hasn’t been an appealing thought. I think I’m slowly getting better at dealing with emotions and life’s ups and downs instead of trying to push them away or temporarily blunt them with 12 old fashioneds

Hope everybody has a great week ahead of them

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs