Author Topic: Powersliding tips anyone?  (Read 1239 times)

graibe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -53
Powersliding tips anyone?
« on: October 24, 2022, 04:24:34 PM »
I can powerslide on flat ground easily, but when I'm hill bombing or have a lot of speed it makes things a lot harder. How do you guys keep from wheel bite? Also, what's the secret to those really steezy b/s powerslides?? When a skater can f/s and b/s powerslide down a steep hill it just looks so awesome, almost like they are s-turning snowboarding. I'm trying to perfect that steez myself...

graibe

Re: Powersliding tips anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 04:28:16 PM »
Also something I forgot to ask, what wheels do you guys recommend for power sliding? I skate the Spitfire conical full's 52mm 101 duro.

ssbsminotti

• Rep: -8
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 03:47:06 PM »
For backside powerslides its all in the shoulders, keep em where they’re at, like a fs boardslide, try to just do the powerslide with your lower body.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 09:32:36 AM »
Backside, I put my feet closer together, and I extend my legs pushing downhill, actually push out.   Sometimes I push too hard and slip out but at least then I know…..also like a slappy or snowboard I’ll throw a frontside/heelside carve first then push on my toes to initiate the backside poweslide. 

For the most part though I suck at them too….I do them in parking garages…in the wild I’m always shook…

half staff

• Rep: -11
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 05:28:03 PM »
speed, hard wheels and commitment. go to fakie at first til you're comfortable and can hold them like an invisible boardslide.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 07:22:23 PM »
Advice I remember really helped me understand the backside ones back in the day was 'start carving frontside a little then counter that with all your might' (really I think the person meant hips and shoulders). That might help you unlocking the basic logic for them and then eventually you no longer need the frontside carve start, they begin feeling like frontside boardslides on flatground complete with the head turn and then you can put more weight on them, push on the back leg and lean back more to get longer ones. The frontside one is very reminiscent of frontside lipslide in terms of feeling to me except you never ollie into it.

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 07:25:02 PM »
it really helps to set up carve. if you want to do a front side slide carve backside a little first, then turn into the slide.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 121
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2022, 01:49:20 AM »
it really helps to set up carve. if you want to do a front side slide carve backside a little first, then turn into the slide.

Carving is the trick to it. For bs it also helped me to let the toes hang off to the side of the tail and push sideways from there.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 06:27:19 AM »
Also something I forgot to ask, what wheels do you guys recommend for power sliding? I skate the Spitfire conical full's 52mm 101 duro.

It depends...I used to think my F4s 99d were the absolute best, they sure powerslide most of the time without any effort, especially if you are going downhill. Nowadays I would rather ride something grippier, faster and softer. So far, I~ve only tried the ricta clouds 86a and they have been very reliable going downhill at high speeds, carving around and powersliding without shooting out the board or losing control. They don't powerslide as much as a hard wheel or make a cool barking sound, but I feel safer going faster downhill with them and doing high speed powerslides. There is a reason downhill skaters are not rocking hard wheels at races...

graibe

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 02:17:37 PM »
this was very insightful actually ... i will try softer wheels and see how it is.

Suangi

• Rep: 9
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2022, 01:30:49 PM »

This is the closest thing that I have ever known to a cheat code in skating. Ridiculous.

I could do them frontside but they kind of sucked and were hit and miss.

Went out today with the little carve in mind and can pretty much do them as and when I want and both directions.

I guess the carve lets you yank the back out more easily and get the board sideways. Whereas without it you are just trying to push it round. Hard to describe but thank you to all the people that said this. Pretty stoked right now

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2022, 06:18:52 AM »
this was very insightful actually ... i will try softer wheels and see how it is.

i sugggest you take a look at the new powell dragon wheels, I have no tried them myself but been reading good good things about them

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2023, 10:22:16 PM »
First off, your wheels will work perfectly for powersliding. Wide, hard wheels are easiest to control, although it might be a bit intense if the ground is rough.

Now, you asked about how to avoid wheelbite. I'm a serial wheelbite offender, but it shouldn't really be an issue for powerslides. Rather than turning hard, you want to engage the slide by getting weightless for a second by bending your knees and doing a subtle hop-motion while pushing the board in front of you and into position (especially with your back foot). At the same time, throw your shoulders frontside/backside. For hillbombing, you're obviously going fast, so return to a riding position before your weight comes back on, as you risk sticking and getting pitched (this is arguably radder though).

If you've ever snowboarded, it feels similar to how you carve and brake. For backside, you're on your toes, and for frontside you dig your heels in to avoid the board digging into the snow and yeeting your ass.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2023, 08:53:55 AM »
Be really careful backside power sliding on softer wheels. It s good way to smack the back of your noggin'.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2023, 04:11:39 AM »
To do the ones where I'm trying to avoid something or pulling up to stop quickly I sometimes hang my toes off the rail and kinda gorilla grab or wrap my toes over as much as I can and then just jump backwards and turn my shoulders 90 degrees while pulling the board back underneath me. It's nowhere near as smooth or controllable as a proper one so I never attempt it at anything above old man speeds (and even then it's a great way to flatspot harder wheels) but it almost feels like doing a hockey stop on ice skates. I do a lot of flat ground in the elevator landing of a parking garage and it's kept me from flipping over the bollards multiple times.