Author Topic: Late 80s early 90s miniramp skating  (Read 1168 times)

Prostate Exam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Late 80s early 90s miniramp skating
« on: October 25, 2022, 07:00:41 AM »
Hey guys,

I am a big fan of late 80s-90s miniramp (also vert and bowls) skating.
Like Tom Knox, Blaize, Schroeder etc skating miniramps. If you guys have any videos that you want to share in here, feel free.
My picks as for now:

Eric Dressen and Tom Knox 1991 - YouTube

Acme Skateboards Mini Ramp Early 90's - YouTube

1990 - Sk8 TV - Ben Schroeder - YouTube

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
Re: Late 80s early 90s miniramp skating
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 09:17:59 AM »

m path

• Rep: -51
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 01:09:23 PM »
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 07:35:35 PM »

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal

pleasent street

• Rep: -91
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 10:02:30 PM »
i love that awkward ben schroeder video

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 12:32:59 AM »
@JRF

Any info on Aaron Deeter???

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g9J0qKMilgQ

Wow this was awesome. Looks some contemporary somehow! So much style and such a good array of tricks!
Any info on this guy, was he english? I found some other videos of him on youtube and he has such an amazing style. But somehow you can't find mcuh else about him on the web.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2022, 02:25:40 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqwwrmurCFw

someone posted this Deeter part elsewhere and I ate that shit up. It's only the 2nd half of the part on some tiny garage mini but it's pretty sick regardless.

It's great how he uses every last inch of the skinny little ramp. I was at a ramp jam for a fallen soldier in August and this local I never knew about since I'd be out the scene for years was just destroying the fucking thing with long-ass 5050's and frontside grinds just teetering on the edge.  A few times his board even shot out into the forest. It was fucking rad. There were a couple of dudes who had more tricks or whatever but this guy just killed it in terms of pure speed and style.

Also, this has got to be the place to ask but what do you call the trick where you rock fakie but kinda 'willy' tap your front truck?

I love how transition skating has an entirely different nomenclature and feels like few people know the names of some of the more bizarre tricks. That's not even touching on handplants and all that.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 03:21:34 AM by Steely Daniel »

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 07:11:47 AM »
Southsea Shut Up And Skate Pool Contest Prelims 1991 - YouTube

Fuck man, I can't stop watching shit like this and then in the evening I am all hyped up to go skate our new ramp and try to travel back in time.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2022, 08:35:36 PM »
Rad thread. Love the BPSW era mini ramp footie

1989. Cab at his best. So damn fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTXWa0QOza0

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2022, 05:56:25 AM »
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 06:09:27 AM by Prostate Exam »

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2022, 09:35:45 AM »
@JRF

Haven’t heard that name in a long time! That dude was/is so fucking good! Danny minnick, Chad Vogt and and Aaron brought a whole new approach to skating vert and mini ramps, all transition actually (Aaron being the first).. One could justifiably argue that Aaron invented/did the first Ollie blunt fakie (or just blunt fakie as it’s called nowadays) before Danny way did a Ollie blunt fakie. Aaron use to enter all of the oasa contests back in the late 80’s to early 90’s. Arron skated with so much speed and intensity and it was intimidating and he looked like a fucking bad ass that could rip your face off if you got in his way but he was actually one of the nicest guys, really polite, smart and respectful. My parents, Matt beach’s parents and mike goetz’s parents were the the coordinators, organizers and pretty much the managers for the Oregon amateur skateboarding association (OASA) and Aaron would always helped put the ramps together before the contests and then help take them down and clean up after the contest, (it’s kind of strange to look back at all the gnarly transition skaters like “mank” “red” “pig pen” and all those burnside guys and how polite and nice they were to all of us even though they looked so gnarly and intimidating when they skated….
Pretty sure that Aaron, was most likely the first person to do a pivot fakie in the deep end of a real backyard pool (can’t be completely sure about that, but he definitely did it a year or two before Eric juden did it in the planet earth “now and later” video) I don’t know what Aaron is up to though. It’s been maybe 10 years since I last saw him, actually probably longer than that, maybe closer to 18-20 years. But yeah, that guy was ahead of the game with lip tricks, specially when it came to vert ramps and backyard pools, he could do lip trick lines in the sketchiest, tightest, hard to skate pools and it look so easy for him, like he was skating a mini ramp. Dude is a bonafide NW legend and I don’t use the term legend carelessly. One of the very best to come out of the NW.

That mini ramp line in that video is pretty crazy because that line of tricks in that run are all first try tricks for him that he rarely ever missed, that run is pretty much a first try, warm up run for him. He had sal flip lean to tail and sal flip frontside disasters on lock, every try. He could do both those tricks like nothing and he could do them on big ass gnarly transition too like nothing. He use to do the best looking sal flip to backside pivot fakie. he didn’t do them the way chad Vogt did where the back truck just barley hits the coping and then sort of shuffles slides the pivot to fakie, Aaron would do them high above the coping and slam the sal flip down into a fully locked pivot to fakie. He did the sickest backside body jars to tail to backside revert on vert too. He had a really crazy and original  bag of tricks and he did everything hauling ass with so much power…Beach and I use to fully try and fail copy his style and tricks on mini ramp and we failed miserably at it!. He did crazy backside crawl taps to fakie on vert. He had so many original lip tricks that you didn’t see anyone else doing.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 11:41:18 AM by JRF »
//////////

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2022, 02:00:22 PM »
Expand Quote
@JRF

[close]

Haven’t heard that name in a long time! That dude was/is so fucking good! Danny minnick, Chad Vogt and and Aaron brought a whole new approach to skating vert and mini ramps, all transition actually (Aaron being the first).. One could justifiably argue that Aaron invented/did the first Ollie blunt fakie (or just blunt fakie as it’s called nowadays) before Danny way did a Ollie blunt fakie. Aaron use to enter all of the oasa contests back in the late 80’s to early 90’s. Arron skated with so much speed and intensity and it was intimidating and he looked like a fucking bad ass that could rip your face off if you got in his way but he was actually one of the nicest guys, really polite, smart and respectful. My parents, Matt beach’s parents and mike goetz’s parents were the the coordinators, organizers and pretty much the managers for the Oregon amateur skateboarding association (OASA) and Aaron would always helped put the ramps together before the contests and then help take them down and clean up after the contest, (it’s kind of strange to look back at all the gnarly transition skaters like “mank” “red” “pig pen” and all those burnside guys and how polite and nice they were to all of us even though they looked so gnarly and intimidating when they skated….
Pretty sure that Aaron, was most likely the first person to do a pivot fakie in the deep end of a real backyard pool (can’t be completely sure about that, but he definitely did it a year or two before Eric juden did it in the planet earth “now and later” video) I don’t know what Aaron is up to though. It’s been maybe 10 years since I last saw him, actually probably longer than that, maybe closer to 18-20 years. But yeah, that guy was ahead of the game with lip tricks, specially when it came to vert ramps and backyard pools, he could do lip trick lines in the sketchiest, tightest, hard to skate pools and it look so easy for him, like he was skating a mini ramp. Dude is a bonafide NW legend and I don’t use the term legend carelessly. One of the very best to come out of the NW.

That mini ramp line in that video is pretty crazy because that line of tricks in that run are all first try tricks for him that he rarely ever missed, that run is pretty much a first try, warm up run for him. He had sal flip lean to tail and sal flip frontside disasters on lock, every try. He could do both those tricks like nothing and he could do them on big ass gnarly transition too like nothing. He use to do the best looking sal flip to backside pivot fakie. he didn’t do them the way chad Vogt did where the back truck just barley hits the coping and then sort of shuffles slides the pivot to fakie, Aaron would do them high above the coping and slam the sal flip down into a fully locked pivot to fakie. He did the sickest backside body jars to tail to backside revert on vert too. He had a really crazy and original  bag of tricks and he did everything hauling ass with so much power…Beach and I use to fully try and fail copy his style and tricks on mini ramp and we failed miserably at it!. He did crazy backside crawl taps to fakie on vert. He had so many original lip tricks that you didn’t see anyone else doing.

Thanks for all that detail. My friends and I loved his mini ramp stuff in the Deadbolt Video but he was really the only stand out. Had no idea where he was from until 3 years ago when I decided he was up there with Ocean Howell and learned he was from Seattle. His mini ramp section was one of those that showed us how to keep speed on a ramp. I wish he had more footage but knowing that you were from Oregon I figured you knew about him and admired him. Shame he didn’t film more but I guess he had to get a job because being a top pro in 1992 was basically like living in poverty. He would have been great in Next Generation…

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2022, 01:22:25 AM »
Expand Quote
@JRF

[close]

Many thanks for the info!

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2022, 07:45:06 AM »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2022, 05:06:09 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pk6L1jLNvo&t=2s&ab_channel=MRobo

This was at the park that I went to '90-'92.  Ratz in Biddeford Maine.   A few months after this was shot the owner cut the bowl down to about 5' tall and had it spined to the 6' mini. That was my favorite setup.   They also had a massive and perfect vert ramp that I think was around 11' tall that almost nobody skated because it was scary for us street and mini kids.

The owner was Tom Noble.  He ended up going on to design a lot of other parks.  https://www.mainebiz.biz/article/pulling-a-180-kennebunkport-skate-park-designer-tom-noble-quit-the-biz-a-few-years-ago-now

Unfortunately, he died a few years ago of cancer.  His daughter raced cyclocross for a few years professionally and won a couple national championships in the Under 23 class.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 05:13:18 PM by backinaction »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2022, 05:07:25 PM »