Author Topic: Which is best for body longevity ?  (Read 3018 times)

FrenchSkater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
Which is best for body longevity ?
« on: October 25, 2022, 10:39:02 AM »
I've been skating for 15 years now, I turned 30 this year, and I got motivated to maintain my body ..

I had already started about 1 and a half years ago to stretch every morning, and to watch what I eat. It did me a lot of good, and I thought that putting myself in muscle building alongside skateboarding would help me too ! So I started this summer with a sports application, 3 times a week, to do sheathing, pump, squat, and a little cardio.

I would like to point out that I walk a lot, as soon as I can, I will walk in the forest for an hour.

But, for a month, I have a little discomfort in my knee, and I think it's the cardio exercises that are maybe a little too violent for my knees..

that's why I hesitate to stop cardio, I have the impression that it's too violent, especially for everything that is cardio ! And yet, it did me good, I found pop, liveliness and tricks that I hadn't used for a long time!
I have the impression that all this is a lot compared to skateboarding, which is already violent in terms of shock to the body ! (I hesitate to continue only the sheathing and push-ups.)

I wanted to ask you, skateboarder over 30, is it enough to just eat well, don't drink alcohol, stretch every morning, and walk a lot ? I tell myself, after all, I can continue to do only this, but .. would it really allow me to keep the liveliness, the strength and to have prevention against injuries ?

Or.. maybe I'm asking myself too many questions? I wonder if all the pros maintain the body ..

Thank you for your valuable advice !

Lester Bullocks

• Rep: 18
Re: Which is best for body longevity ?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 11:37:47 AM »
Definitely stick with the stretching, for the cardio try switching to riding a bike (either a regular one or stationary) which will be easier on your knees as well as help to strengthen them.

Jebediah

• Rep: 113
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 11:49:34 AM »
I read somewhere recently jogging is actually good for your knees as it builds them up to resist impact. Listen to your body of course, if something hurts don't keep pushing it. I've found for myself I feel best when I keep moving and skating, if I take a week off and be lazy I stiffen up.

lilyung

• Rep: -8
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 12:09:10 PM »
I'm a yoyo fitnesser so idk too much but I'm the same age and highly recommend checking out SkateboardStrength and Old Friends Fitness.

They're skaters who became PTs, and post exercises.

It's mostly just simple recovery, strengthening, and preventative maintenance but it's specific and geared towards skateboarding. I've been following a long for a few yrs now and it really helps.

Both are on IG. They have paywalled content too but have't checked that out yet.

m path

• Rep: -51
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 12:12:44 PM »
 I think knees over toes guy.  Maybe avoid drinking. Avoid stress. edit and sugar.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 12:28:21 PM by m path »
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 12:27:36 PM »
Don’t know what you’re doing for cardio, but for running you have to start really slow and slowly build up to doing more. You may have the aerobic capacity to get out and run for half an hour, but it takes your joints, muscles and tendons a long time to get into shape. Start with short runs. It may not even feel like a workout. If you get sore, take a week off or however long it takes. You may be running once a week for a while. They say it takes about 100 miles of running before your tendons are actually in shape to do it and to start increasing the amount of running you do.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 12:29:09 PM »
I would recommend doing some weight training. Not to end up looking like Biebel or anything, but just to be stronger and more fit overall. I do upper body 3 times a week and legs twice a week. Sometimes I'll throw in a skate sesh instead of doing legs. I'm also a big advocate for jump roping. Start out with just a speed rope and then move on to a weighted jump rope after a few months. I now only use a 1lb rope for normal sets and then use the 3lb rope to burnout. I used to get gassed after skating for about an hour, but now I can easily skate nonstop for around 2.5 hours.

Lester Bullocks

• Rep: 18
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 12:33:37 PM »
Swimming is also good for cardio while having low to no impact on your knees.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2022, 12:53:52 PM »
Maybe avoid drinking. Avoid stress. and sugar.

Well fuck.

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 45
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2022, 12:58:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well fuck.

Plenty of pros in their 40’s that drink booze and consume sugar.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2022, 01:04:41 PM »
Don't do cocaine. 

m path

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2022, 01:04:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Well fuck.
[close]

Plenty of pros in their 40’s that drink booze and consume sugar.
  Oh yah and lots of water.  If you don't want to consider your intake of shit, then its just making it more difficult.  Fuck what pros do, Slap is pro-obsessed to be fair.

m path

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2022, 01:05:51 PM »
Don't do cocaine.
  On the weekends ur fine.  Doesn't affect you physically I don't think.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2022, 01:14:43 PM »
you could try swimming

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2022, 01:20:11 PM »
I turn 33 next month, and for the last 4 years, and especially maybe last 2, Ive been going to the gym a lot. I stopped eating meat 2 years ago.

In the gym, I do a lot of cardio and low weight training, so I just maintain and build a little muscle, since Im a big body type of guy (Chris Cole, James Hardy kind of build), so I really dont want to be heavier.

Last year, I started going to ice cold freezing water for 10 minutes a session, 3 times a week. That has probably been the best regeneration thing for my body I ever did.

As of right now, I feel like Im at my best with skating, ever.

TLDR: stretch, eat healthy, work out but not with super heavy shit, dont do drugs and you are good.

FrenchSkater

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2022, 01:22:10 PM »
Don’t know what you’re doing for cardio, but for running you have to start really slow and slowly build up to doing more. You may have the aerobic capacity to get out and run for half an hour, but it takes your joints, muscles and tendons a long time to get into shape. Start with short runs. It may not even feel like a workout. If you get sore, take a week off or however long it takes. You may be running once a week for a while. They say it takes about 100 miles of running before your tendons are actually in shape to do it and to start increasing the amount of running you do.

For cardio, I did lots of exercises on site. (Jumping jacks, squats/squats and jumps, sprawls, static sprints, etc.)

FrenchSkater

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2022, 01:26:14 PM »
I turn 33 next month, and for the last 4 years, and especially maybe last 2, Ive been going to the gym a lot. I stopped eating meat 2 years ago.

In the gym, I do a lot of cardio and low weight training, so I just maintain and build a little muscle, since Im a big body type of guy (Chris Cole, James Hardy kind of build), so I really dont want to be heavier.

Last year, I started going to ice cold freezing water for 10 minutes a session, 3 times a week. That has probably been the best regeneration thing for my body I ever did.

As of right now, I feel like Im at my best with skating, ever.

TLDR: stretch, eat healthy, work out but not with super heavy shit, dont do drugs and you are good.

It's funny that you say this, I slowed down the meat! I eat it twice a week, this too has brought me a lot of good!

Yes I was also thinking about going to the gym and cycling or rowing machine, I think these are gentle exercises for the knee and strengthening..

For the cold, as soon as possible, with each little pain that appears after a session in one place, I apply an ice compress on it or I take an icy shower (For the shower it's more in summer, in winter, it's it's difficult haha)

Otherwise, yes, I don't drink, I eat properly and I don't smoke!

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2022, 01:55:03 PM »
Avoid loud noises.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2022, 02:20:46 PM »
I have a little bike pedal contraption that fits under my desk at work, it's definitely not the workout that riding a real bike would be but you can do it for like 4 hours a day. I guess maybe it's working well enough, I'm 41 and can still pop my board and do tricks that flip.

Royce Lopez

• Rep: 8
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2022, 02:22:40 PM »
Genetics helps  ;D

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2022, 02:34:42 PM »
Now 30 but started stretching when I was 20. Don't have any discomfort anywhere except a 90% good ankle which I've sprained a bunch of times. I do 40 minutes of stretching on Saturday and Sunday while watching Match of the Day. I also don't jump off things.

My routine is groin/hips, quads, pigeon pose I think it's called, hamstrings, lower back, calves, shoulders/arms, squat, ankles, wrists and it usually takes around 40 mins to get through all that while watching TV.

Thank you Prod for getting me int stretching when I was an impressionable young man.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2022, 02:47:49 PM »
Don’t just skate, you’ll develop weird muscles and/or tendons that are out of place, you gotta balance it out. Do squats, your knees will thank you. I don’t bother with cardio but do daily strength and stretching stuff.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2022, 02:48:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Don't do cocaine.
[close]

Very bad for the heart. Even for moderate users. When I was still doing c I was scared to go skating in between binges because I could feel my heart racing. Glad for sure I quit doing it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 03:04:09 PM by TheDraught »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2022, 02:52:54 PM »
Just say no to vulcs.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2022, 03:13:22 PM »
I read somewhere recently jogging is actually good for your knees as it builds them up to resist impact. Listen to your body of course, if something hurts don't keep pushing it. I've found for myself I feel best when I keep moving and skating, if I take a week off and be lazy I stiffen up.
I'd be surprised if this is true, everything I've read in the last 20 years basically says we shouldn't jog at all our bodies were designed to either run or walk. I guess if you make sure you do proper running technique the speed doesn't matter but many do a wired walking technique when jogging and it really fucks them up.
Also been reading too much cardio is bad for your heart which sounds wrong but in my experience could be correct. I was cardio king but then started having weird heart shit going on a couple years back. Prob just some confirmation bias type thing tho lol.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2022, 03:15:48 PM »
Just say no to vulcs.

Don't think it matters as long as your shoes aren't too small. If anything try keep your feet kinda natural having a bunch of foam under your heel isn't that great either

pleasent street

• Rep: -91
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2022, 04:48:05 PM »
i think it would be beneficial for every skater to actually develop some significant strength in their hips and lower back by doing squats and trying to get to the point where you can squat 225lbs easily. that's not as heavy as you think and can easily be achieved in like 3 months if you follow a good routine and eat well.

m path

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2022, 04:51:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don't do cocaine.
[close]
[close]

Very bad for the heart. Even for moderate users. When I was still doing c I was scared to go skating in between binges because I could feel my heart racing. Glad for sure I quit doing it.
   I get this but I just don't 'binge' -you know, I mean never say never, knock on wood ect.  I just go thru a gram (once a week or so) and call it a day.  Not that I haven't had addiction to other hard drugs many years ago cause I did and that went badly for sure. edit also when you felts these effects were you drinking booze while doing the 'C'?  cause thats usually the bigger problem with coke use, the booze. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 04:59:00 PM by m path »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1194
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2022, 05:13:31 PM »
Skating, like boxing, is a young man’s game.  You will get to bear witness to the slow, gradual, but ultimately inescapable erosion of your ability on your skateboard. 

Your pop will fade into a forlorn ghost of its prior self.  Tricks will suddenly not work, and some will be lost forever. Forget popping up like Gumby after a slam like you used to; if you fall, you’re staying down for while, so I suggest bringing a book.

Hope this helps.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2022, 05:15:28 PM »
Pizza and beer
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?