Author Topic: tapeless setup for gl1/gl2?  (Read 451 times)

Stuhfy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 4
    • YouTube avatar image
tapeless setup for gl1/gl2?
« on: October 25, 2022, 05:35:14 PM »
anyone know of a good way (that doesn't cost $500) that I can try to setup on my camera to not run tapes. unfortunately my camera will not be utilizing tapes anytime soon due to some damage.. any insight would be sick thanks!

cosmicgypsies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
Re: tapeless setup for gl1/gl2?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 01:39:09 AM »
anyone know of a good way (that doesn't cost $500) that I can try to setup on my camera to not run tapes. unfortunately my camera will not be utilizing tapes anytime soon due to some damage.. any insight would be sick thanks!

if you wanna run it cheap, you're making some compromises. most expensive tapeless solutions are 100% the same quality as tapes as they run through firewire, cheaper solutions will be through AV/RCA. the most common cheaper solution is the immersionrc powerplay, shit was originally meant to be for VR drones but it takes AV cable input. that means there's a bit of a quality drop compared to firewire, and also some other things; some darker colours tend to take on a red tinge/almost checkerboard pattern, and you might get a weird jitter when shooting fisheye.

here's 10 clips total, first 5 are through firewire, remaining 5 via the powerplay. canon gl1, opteka 0.3x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKOmpRFRmZY

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 09:11:53 AM »
I got a clear click 2.0 while looking for better options. Super easy to use and the quality loss isn't significant enough for me to not use it.

Just make sure you turn the sound of the device low because I was catching feedback ringing from speakers.

I think new runs about 150$ you should also get a cellphone coldshhoe mount

Gawd69

• Rep: -1
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 02:36:31 PM »
Save yourself the regret of buying one of the cheaper option, go for the mrc1 or similar options. I tried the other cheaper options and really hated the quality loss of video and audio, if you save a little bit more you’ll be happy you waited!

borntoexpire

• Rep: 6
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 09:38:56 AM »
I already posted pics of my GL2 setup in the VX thread, but I'm running a ClearClick (with the Opteka lens) and I can't say enough good things about it.