Author Topic: Underused lines  (Read 3087 times)

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
Re: Underused lines
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2022, 07:28:02 AM »
This might be off course and I apologize but do any of you skate out of fakie, to fakie or to switch? Like Puleo / Oyola syndrome? for example, I was saw Nyjah on TV and was completely bummed dude lands fakie and just pivots out to regular right after. . . We kind of grew up in lines if you land fakie you have to trick out to regular. it does look cleaner and more solid. even a switch 180, etc. I realize he skates that weird condensed money thing but, lines are to build skill hence you have to EARN back to regular, thoughts?

Guy Mariano in Mouse did a pretty sick fakie revert but otherwise I am with you. I mean, if even I can change my untalented ass back to regular stance with a 180 trick, every pro should be able to do so too.
Sometimes I like to do like a sw fs shuv and do that quick body varial push thing to get back to regular stance.
IG: @flowterspace

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2022, 07:44:34 AM »
Expand Quote
This might be off course and I apologize but do any of you skate out of fakie, to fakie or to switch? Like Puleo / Oyola syndrome? for example, I was saw Nyjah on TV and was completely bummed dude lands fakie and just pivots out to regular right after. . . We kind of grew up in lines if you land fakie you have to trick out to regular. it does look cleaner and more solid. even a switch 180, etc. I realize he skates that weird condensed money thing but, lines are to build skill hence you have to EARN back to regular, thoughts?
[close]

Guy Mariano in Mouse did a pretty sick fakie revert but otherwise I am with you. I mean, if even I can change my untalented ass back to regular stance with a 180 trick, every pro should be able to do so too.
Sometimes I like to do like a sw fs shuv and do that quick body varial push thing to get back to regular stance.

according to fred gall that's just as bad as reverting

i wouldn't film a revert, but i do them when i'm not filming
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2022, 09:04:37 AM »

this should be the standard with few exceptions.  I could see Grant Taylor just turning around but he can also half cab with the best of them. It's not like they don't have options. 

But I agree, something should be done unless its something in which too much speed plays a role.  Thinking Milton Martinez type stuff.   
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2022, 09:16:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I give the old heads a pass. Mariano's in Mouse is legendary. Dill made it work in Mosaic a number of times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9ompYRgg44

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2022, 09:19:57 AM »
Jeremy Wray's opening line inspired my friends to make our filmer follow us around for an ungodly amount of time while we did basic tricks leading up to a big finale (in which we could rarely seal the deal… it was always a hail mary). That poor guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_R2Y836C0Y

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2022, 10:29:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Damn. What about two 180 tricks back to back then instead? Like nollie bs 180 and then bs halfcab.

I have a spot in sight for a line. It starts with a ollie over a wall and ends with a front board. And a lot of flatground space between these two tricks.
IG: @flowterspace

IpathCats

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2022, 11:29:00 AM »
I think the goal should be to avoid that uncomfortable switching of your stance where you just take a goofy looking step/push/switch.

If you can change your stance in any way that is smooth/looks good/is an actual trick, it should be fine.

However, if you come up with one smooth little step switch thing, dont take that as a free pass to just do that shit all the time. Use it sparingly and responsibly.

Like a nice boy.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2022, 11:58:15 AM »
Brian Peacock rules at this, but he does it in a different way you’re referring to.

https://youtu.be/n4-MZyusBN4

« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 12:59:04 PM by Dark Knight »

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2022, 12:08:39 PM »
Expand Quote

Unless you’re planning on doing a lot of flatground tricks, or going from the sidewalk into the street to get towed by a car, that could end up being a pretty boring line in between getting from one spot to the next. They’re somewhat close to each other but not close enough to make for an exciting line in between spots.

Plus, adding china banks into said line would make for a lot of fast forwarding to make that line interesting to watch more than once. Might as well jump on the bus and finish up the line with a trick down Wallenberg, that would make for a pretty interesting, yet uninteresting 30 minute line.
[close]

Has anyone ever incorporated public transit in a line?

I haven’t seen it before, but it could be pretty decent if it was a short bide ride from spot to spot.
//////////

JRF

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2022, 12:10:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
In DC, start at Welfare and take it all the way to Pulaski (down Pennsylvania). This will never happen but the possibility of hitting all the spots on the way (Native American, small three, courthouse, archives, navy memorial, etc) is pretty cool
[close]

paging Bobby Worrest..

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I heard those tall SF Blocks (Tyshawn back noseblunt, Carlos sw kf back tail, Tiago etc..) are just down the street from Pier 7

Not sure how close they are in real life but someone could do a long line and make it sick. Someone like Busenitz or Suciu/Knox or Ishod

Always love Boosentitz SF footage
[close]

You’re not thinking big enough! Pier 7 is about a 5 min walk from EMB so you could get a line from those blocks to pier 7 then EMB. You’d have to time the lights perfectly to be able to cross the street tho (I don’t recall if there’s even a good place to cross around there).
[close]

Now you're thinking! Then keep it going to China Banks..
[close]

Unless you’re planning on doing a lot of flatground tricks, or going from the sidewalk into the street to get towed by a car, that could end up being a pretty boring line in between getting from one spot to the next. They’re somewhat close to each other but not close enough to make for an exciting line in between spots.

Plus, adding china banks into said line would make for a lot of fast forwarding to make that line interesting to watch more than once. Might as well jump on the bus and finish up the line with a trick down Wallenberg, that would make for a pretty interesting, yet uninteresting 30 minute line.
[close]

that would be cool unedited like that true detective show, like he eats lunch and checks email, etc. i would watch it. like it takes 4 years and literally its 12 games of skate with yourself.

Haha! I’d watch that!
//////////

gnidraobetaks

• Rep: 20
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2022, 12:15:57 PM »
Winkowski and co skated from Canada to Mexico. Beat that Ricky Oyola.

JRF

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2022, 12:46:31 PM »
I think the goal should be to avoid that uncomfortable switching of your stance where you just take a goofy looking step/push/switch.

If you can change your stance in any way that is smooth/looks good/is an actual trick, it should be fine.

However, if you come up with one smooth little step switch thing, dont take that as a free pass to just do that shit all the time. Use it sparingly and responsibly.

Like a nice boy.

If you’re riding switch/fakie there’s nothing wrong with doing a backside half cab kick turn/turn around to regs..
I mean it’s probably not gonna look as steely as guy Mariano’s in mouse, but it’s an acceptable way to turn around from fakie to regular…
//////////

JRF

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2022, 12:49:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I give the old heads a pass. Mariano's in Mouse is legendary. Dill made it work in Mosaic a number of times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9ompYRgg44

I did a fakie to turn around in the first lines of one of my video parts, I didn’t think it was a bad thing. It made more sense to do so between the two tricks in the line I was doing. No one can make it look as good as guy’s in mouse obviously
//////////

billyerlife

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2022, 01:58:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn. What about two 180 tricks back to back then instead? Like nollie bs 180 and then bs halfcab.

I have a spot in sight for a line. It starts with a ollie over a wall and ends with a front board. And a lot of flatground space between these two tricks.

I like doing two bigspins in a row between tricks, fakie to nollie or whatever, but I hadn't thought about it as a deliberate means of getting back to the original stance. There's a lot there that seems like it would be cool, backside flip to half cab flip, there must be tons of examples of this, Kerry Getz doing a frontside flip to fakie frontside flip comes to mind, can't place where though.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2022, 09:15:47 PM »
a cool one that comes to mind would be hitting the gap to rail or through the kink at uci (heath does gap back lip/gap noseblunt, leabres front blunted through the whole thing) then continue on up to the hubba (heath front blunt, ba back rail, braden hoban kf bs noseblunt). that could be a really cool way to open a part before the music starts. they’re always doing construction there now though so i’m not sure if it’s still possible.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2022, 01:22:30 AM »
I've always liked this KB clip from blessed, Feel like I have never seen a pro body varial to change stance outside of a gimmick trick.
Obviously only works thanks to how fluidly it was done.

(0:31)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuA9mdrJqm8

IpathCats

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2022, 07:30:55 AM »
I've always liked this KB clip from blessed, Feel like I have never seen a pro body varial to change stance outside of a gimmick trick.
Obviously only works thanks to how fluidly it was done.

(0:31)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuA9mdrJqm8

Agree, this is totally acceptable to me. execution is everything, he looked comfortable and fluid.

CAPTAIN NOBODY

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2022, 01:46:23 PM »
From one skatepark to the next nearest skatepark.
city of Maricopa parks I want to see it

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2022, 03:42:58 PM »
I heard those tall SF Blocks (Tyshawn back noseblunt, Carlos sw kf back tail, Tiago etc..) are just down the street from Pier 7

Not sure how close they are in real life but someone could do a long line and make it sick. Someone like Busenitz or Suciu/Knox or Ishod

Always love Boosentitz SF footage

That would be pretty dope and it’s very doable: https://i.imgur.com/Os3McFZ.jpg

At first for some reason I thought you were talking about going from the 3 block/triple set next to the ferry building that a bunch of people have been skating recently to Pier 7, which would be a pain in the ass to do but I suppose is doable if someone wanted to: https://i.imgur.com/Pzbcsgc.jpg

What I think would be cool is doing something down the 3 block, skating through The Island and hitting one of the ledges there, then finishing off at Embarcadero Plaza down the 6 or into the fountain or something like that

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?