Author Topic: Any Computer Techs here? Question  (Read 799 times)

Rippey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
  • damn the price, damn the odds
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Any Computer Techs here? Question
« on: May 03, 2007, 01:32:14 PM »
I've been having some trouble with my video card in my computer. I recently took my computer apart to clean some dust out. After putting everything back in order, my monitor remains in sleep mode (orange light stays lit, instead of yellow)and it will not change. Also my mouse and keyboard will not turn on either.

Last year the same thing happened with the monitor staying in sleep mode, and I changed the video card and everything began working again. So I figured it was just a faulty video card.

But this time when it happened again, I took the original video card out and tried it in another computer and it works fine in that other computer. Which leads me to believe that its not faulty. So I then took a different newer video card and tried it in my computer and still nothing will work.
I've tried changing monitors and still the newer monitor will not come out of sleep mode and my mouse and keyboard will not light up.

Here is some more strange info.
-As soon as I plug the monitor into the video card slot, the monitor goes into sleep. As soon as I unplug it, the monitor runs normally, but it is now not connected to the computer.

-Whenever I flick the on/off switch on the back of the computer to turn it on, the keyboard flashes once. But the mouse does nothing.

-The rest of the computer runs fine. All fans are working and the cd-rom ejects etc.

-There is also a tiny fan on the video card device. When the computer is turned on that fan is not running. Thus, I'm lead to believe that perhaps the video card is not seated right? I've tried removing it and seating it again many times, but nothing changes.

Has anyone ever experienced a similar problem? I'd like to try and fix this problem myself, before taking it to someone else.

Any suggestions?
You're so cool...Yea, God made me cool.

brooklyn brawler

Re: Any Computer Techs here? Question
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 01:38:35 PM »
It may be defaulting to the onboard video card. Maybe plug your monitor into that to see if goes on. If it does, then you'll have to switch the Graphics card settings in the BIOS.

Rippey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
  • damn the price, damn the odds
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Any Computer Techs here? Question
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 02:21:51 PM »
I'm almost certain that this PC doesn't have an Onboard video connection.  It is an AGP video card.  I will try a minimum configuration setting and see if any of my PCI card slots are causing it.
You're so cool...Yea, God made me cool.