Author Topic: Why are my trucks constantly getting locked to one side ?  (Read 978 times)

lazer69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -95
Why are my trucks constantly getting locked to one side ?
« on: October 29, 2022, 07:10:31 AM »
I have some thunders with hollow kingpin, and have put medium thunder replacement bushings. I’m regular and it’s constantly wants to go to the right.
My confidence is already low bc I was much better skater 2 years and 20lbs ago, but this destroys it even more.

I’m about to put back in my ventures that are near grounded down to axle.

https://imgur.com/a/WER5tYc

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Re: Why are my trucks constantly getting locked to one side ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 09:35:43 AM »
Check pivot cups, they might be damaged and pivot get stuck in them with an angle
or turn your bushings 180° and see what happens

are your hangers bent ?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 09:43:01 AM »
This happened to me the other day after putting in replacement indy bushings. Didn't realize the bottom ones were conical and not the barrel/cylindrical shape. It's pretty annoying. I'm going to go change the bottom bushings back, or at least try the advice above.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2022, 11:09:48 AM »
It's likely your bushing binding up or getting stuck in the pivot seat. Take your lubrucant of choice and apply to areas that the bushing makes contact with the hanger or washer, make sure everything can move freely, then put em back together and see if it still happens. Alternatively, you can try swapping a different set of bushings in there and seeing if that fixes it, at least you'll know what the issue is then.

Every time it's happened to me it's been with thunder style conical bottoms and has been fixed by lubing except for Film bushings. They'll just straight lock in place when it's cold.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 01:00:24 PM »
Maybe also check if your baseplates are mounted in line and are not slighthly offset.

switchfakie

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 08:08:35 PM »
pivot cups are blown probably

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 07:32:53 AM »
I think Mark Suciu mentions how this happens to him too:

https://youtu.be/VBzvTe7UHLA

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 10:00:04 AM »
i thought this happens to everyone? I am pretty sure it is a result of tightening the trucks beyond what comes stock, and wearing out the bushings. I noticed the more I rode looser trucks, the less this happened / less noticeable. but it definitely does still happen because you will still be wearing down 1 side slightly more than the other.

this is why nyjah is constantly kicking his trucks down like that before he sets up for a trick. because he rides such tight trucks, its way more likely to happen, especially with the impacts he puts on them. chris joslin does it too.

1 amazing way to combat this is just turn your board around and do a shit load of fs slappy's. they will be back to center in no time, but you will really work the bushings in on the one side (imo which is what you want so it will feel looser on both sides now). if you cant do the slappy just do a bunch of fs powerslides, as much heel as possible.

i think this is also why people recommend starting the trucks off looser and then slowly tightening them over time. because you will get a bit more life out of the bushings this way. it will feel like they start to get looser over time, so you have to keep tightening thme slightly to kinda keep up with it. so you dont wanna crank em down too hard in the beginning, or you will have less to crank down.
ONTARIO CANADA

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -61
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 10:08:07 AM »

this is why nyjah is constantly kicking his trucks down like that before he sets up for a trick. because he rides such tight trucks, its way more likely to happen, especially with the impacts he puts on them. chris joslin does it too.

So THAT's what that is! Always wondered.
Is it exclusively a tight truck problem?
I've never had this problem, but I skate pretty loose trucks.
I tighten the back about 1/4 turn tighter than the front but still pretty loose.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2022, 01:28:47 AM »
tight trucks might play a role
but i would say it has more to do with them riding new trucks all the time and not giving enough time for their pivot cups/bushings to break in
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 06:56:44 AM by BALARGUE »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2022, 10:19:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I tighten the back about 1/4 turn tighter than the front but still pretty loose.

Pretty sure Nyjah started doing that after his truck flew off mid trick because his kingpin was broken. That's what the kick-check is for

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -61
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2022, 10:37:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Pretty sure Nyjah started doing that after his truck flew off mid trick because his kingpin was broken. That's what the kick-check is for

Did that happen to him too?
I recall the fateful Malto truck malfunction that happened the only time Street League ever came to Kansas City.
We were all so stoked to see him take home a trophy in front of the hometown crowd...didn't go down like that.