Author Topic: Best meth-era pros  (Read 7624 times)

Kanteen Russell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -72
Best meth-era pros
« on: November 01, 2022, 02:06:26 PM »
I have written several skate articles on the topic of drugs and skateboarding culture. Meth, in Hebrew, means "death." This is a post about meth and skating.

In a recent post there was reference to "meth-era Christian hosoi" as being one of the greatest skaters of all time.

This leads me to wonder, have there ever been other skaters on meth? Particularly pros, with parts?

Can meth make a skater better at least some of the time? Must it causally destroy their lives? Or is there a way to do meth, film a part, and then get off it (the only problem is potentially being worse on the board when sober)?

Also if Hosoi is the pinnacle of meth-era skating, I wonder who is runnerup. AGAIN, I am legitimately curious and not making light of the topic.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
Re: Best meth-era pros
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 02:58:34 PM »
Watch some Epicly Laterd episodes.   

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 03:22:15 PM »
Meth in English means Methamphetamine.
I have never figured out why it isn’t just called amp.

Jason Jesse is a good start.
I’m sure it played a part in Gators bullshit too.

Obscura

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 03:36:39 PM »
I recall an old interview with Ethan Fowler talking about being on meth in his early/shaved head years. He said it made skating super easy.

half staff

• Rep: -11
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 03:44:39 PM »
yeah Ethan had a period, i do believe Sir Sean Sheffey might have as well.
some young kid who pulled a carjacking (Greg Myers maybe?) and allegedly but never confirmed, 10/10.
if i were to guess based off excessive sweating and poetry, Gershon Mosely might be into that sort of thing.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 03:46:59 PM »
j cassanova

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2022, 04:05:48 PM »
Wasn’t meth a big part of Guys wilderness years?

m path

• Rep: -51
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2022, 04:11:36 PM »
    So yah Christian Hosoi would be the king.  Many big wave surfers and pro surfers, The whole Mavs lineup at one point apparently.  Olympic boycotter Terje Hakonsen. Hawaii.  God damn Tom Carrol in his 50s.  Ryan Nix(?) -hes so under rated btw.
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2022, 04:17:02 PM »
grosso got an alien workshop tattoo because “the meth was good in the 90s”. i would assume a lot of the vert skaters from that era were on it. one look at duane peters & it’s east to assume so.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

pleasent street

• Rep: -91
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2022, 04:25:12 PM »
meth is probably the worst drug ever imo. not only is it incredibly addictive but it also just fucks your brain in a way that other super-addictive drugs don't. heroin might be fucked up too but at least it doesn't seem to cause psychosis in the way that meth does. definitely one of the biggest issues in the world right now and only getting worse.

anyway, andy roy.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2022, 04:44:41 PM »
Didn’t Jay Adams get busted with a shit ton of meth at some airport?

Lester Bullocks

• Rep: 18
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2022, 04:48:39 PM »
Didn’t Jay Adams get busted with a shit ton of meth at some airport?
That was Hosoi in Hawaii.

m path

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2022, 05:46:31 PM »
meth is probably the worst drug ever imo. not only is it incredibly addictive but it also just fucks your brain in a way that other super-addictive drugs don't. heroin might be fucked up too but at least it doesn't seem to cause psychosis in the way that meth does. definitely one of the biggest issues in the world right now and only getting worse.

anyway, andy roy.
  Meth is not one of the biggest issues in the world right now.  Not that it isn't an issue.  The world is fucked right now with much bigger problems.  Meth is the most popular in Asia I think. It's mainstream from what I could gather when I lived there.  I haven't done it but its def been in some E pills I've ate. 

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2022, 05:47:21 PM »
some young kid who pulled a carjacking (Greg Myers maybe?) and allegedly but never confirmed, 10/10.
if i were to guess based off excessive sweating and poetry, Gershon Mosely might be into that sort of thing.
Pretty sure Laetitia confirmed 1010 was spun out and that's why he fucked up the Consolidated warehouse back when all the shit about him came out
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2022, 06:07:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Pretty sure Laetitia confirmed 1010 was spun out and that's why he fucked up the Consolidated warehouse back when all the shit about him came out

Gershon never did meth.. I’ve shot up goofballs quite a few times (meth and heroin in the same shot) not proud of it, but it is what it is…
//////////

WPG

• Rep: -2
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2022, 06:46:20 PM »
    So yah Christian Hosoi would be the king.  Many big wave surfers and pro surfers, The whole Mavs lineup at one point apparently.  Olympic boycotter Terje Hakonsen. Hawaii.  God damn Tom Carrol in his 50s.  Ryan Nix(?) -hes so under rated btw.

I thought Terje boycotted Becuase of the international Ski federation running snowboarding? I cannot find any links to any drug use by him. Please elaborate
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -607
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2022, 07:22:51 PM »
Correct answer is probably Freddy, no?
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

Kanteen Russell

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2022, 08:00:59 PM »
Damn I had no clue Ryan Nix was on meth.

That little nigga greg Myers shit I forgot all about him hard to imagine him ganking cars on meth.

Does Ryan Nix post here? He should get a comeback board on Baker for that dope part he has in the Bootleg video. Hopefully Brian Michaud didn't get on meth too... I thought his machine guns and nollie shuvs were dope.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2022, 10:22:15 PM »
Was Carrol productive in his meth days?

cookiecuttersuburb

• Rep: -20
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2022, 05:13:27 AM »
MENACE team had to have some serious tweekers.  Muska maybe early on in his skating when he was still out in Vegas / Arizona. He’d mentioned the older Vegas dudes telling him to stick to weed and beer when he has sought it out.

Nails

• Rep: 3
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2022, 05:33:17 AM »
Has there been as much meth era as there was crack *lookin at you EMB*
Anyone betting, bet on me. The only way I lose is if I fucking die.

Tabletop

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2022, 06:04:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought Terje boycotted Becuase of the international Ski federation running snowboarding? I cannot find any links to any drug use by him. Please elaborate

Terje on Meth? Please elaborate.
He got kicked off Button for being homophobic but I’ve never heard anything about Meth and would highly doubt it from his clean lifestyle.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1193
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2022, 06:35:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Gershon never did meth.. I’ve shot up goofballs quite a few times (meth and heroin in the same shot) not proud of it, but it is what it is…

“Goofball” seems like kind of a overly-playful name for what it is. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2022, 07:23:47 AM »
yeah, i feel like i remember hearing more stories about crack than meth. nothing quite propelled the sport to new tech heights like hits from the crack bong pre-sesh.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2022, 07:28:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yeah, i feel like i remember hearing more stories about crack than meth. nothing quite propelled the sport to new tech heights like hits from the crack bong pre-sesh.

Oh you mean Hubba?   The slang for crack that is now synonymous with any descending ledge

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
  • registered SLAP offender

m path

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2022, 07:51:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yah he was holed up in Whis  in a  chalet going hard for a year or 2.  That was 20 years ago, tho.   I knew a buddy of his.  This buddy of his made a massive dirt jump set in his driveway.  7 feet high steep to steep with a gap and I did it it on a 94 Haro 20 in the rain.  Proud moment.  !st/last time on big d jumps.
   Edit I just looked up the so called homophobic tweet..  A Skier came out and Terje tweeted, "whats the big deal, every skier is gay".  He later said that he was stoked for the said skier but his feelings at the time is that being gay shouldn't be newsworthy.  Whatever.   Kinda harsh 'joke'.  Burton have a really bad history for being super cut throat with their riders tho.  For decades I've heard bad stories about them.  You can't beat Terje and Johan imo.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 08:06:24 AM by m path »

Minigolf Fanatic

• Rep: 6
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2022, 08:24:42 AM »
Terje was a beast when he came on the scene.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2022, 08:34:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Hey Jayme, I really appreciate your openness about this stuff. I guess my question to you would be how does someone end up injecting stuff? It seems like human nature to me to be really scared of something like that.

Did you see a lot of people using stuff like this in the area you grew up in (Im assuming Portland or close to there) i have never once in my life seen people use needles in my small canadian town, but when I went to Montreal and Prague I saw it very openly and it really shocked me, espeically how young some of the kids were that used these drugs. It always makes me wonder how does someone jump from doing some pills or whatever to injecting stuff. i did lots of stupid pills when i was a teenager, that kind of thing was much more available where im at. i even thought doing coke was pretty scary , to put stuff up your nose seemed really degenerate. that seems like such an extreme level to go to, i would imagine you have to be at a pretty low point to inject and maybe its the only thing available? sorry if this brings up too mcuh bad memories, you dont have to respond obviously.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2022, 08:43:47 AM »
I recall an old interview with Ethan Fowler talking about being on meth in his early/shaved head years. He said it made skating super easy.
Did Meth a few times back in 2011 to 2013, and it did make skating super easy because you’re turned up to 11 and not worried about breaking yourself off but the come down and the cravings aren’t worth it.

I did frontnoseslide a handrail while on it tho so that was cool