Author Topic: Body size and setup (Madness..)  (Read 1432 times)

FrenchSkater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
Body size and setup (Madness..)
« on: November 20, 2022, 08:44:42 AM »
Let me explain,

I'm 5.7 Ft, I have short legs, and 8 for foot size

For some time, I've been trying to find the perfect setup, and every time I think I've found it, there's this fucking madness that comes back:

Deck : I wonder if I shouldn't go down to 7.9, because I've been skating 8.0 for about 6 years, and sometimes some flip tricks are difficult to throw, when I see Luan Oliveira or cody mcentire, I see that they are small and skate small boards.. but however, it seems to me that some pros who are small also ride 8.25 or more (If anyone can testify having met a pro for real, surprised at the size of board and its size)

Is the body size important to have a quality skateboard ? I skate a lot a lot flatground !

Trucks : I've been skating for 15 years, and in my early years, I was kickflip perfectly, and I had low trucks (Venture lows).

However, I lost the kickflip for 10 years now, and I noticed while watching my videos, that since I have high trucks, I very rarely successfully kickflip. (However, no harm with the flip switch..)

But I feel like I sometimes make a superhuman effort to jump for certain tricks!

I also wonder if stockings aren't better for someone short.. but as I said above, I think short skaters ride standard 55mm independents and do all their tricks very, very well. I think it's all in technique and timing.. unless height is really important? (I skate venture high standards)

Damn, what madness, it's funny to think that in our first years of skateboarding, we didn't think of all that!

What do you think ? In relation to what I told you, but also to have a general opinion and also in relation to your skating, I would like to know !

Thank you for your valuable response !

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Body size and setup (Madness..)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 12:28:23 PM »
"Deck : I wonder if I shouldn't go down to 7.9, because I've been skating 8.0 for about 6 years, and sometimes some flip tricks are difficult to throw,"

Are you for fucking real?

0.1 will make you throw your flip tricks better?

That's like 2-3 primo landings and you're good my dude...but if it makes your OCD better, yes, by all means drop to a 7.9" - better yet, why not go for a 7.8975"?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 12:46:45 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 05:11:06 PM »
Given there’s. 400 pages on trucks alone….I’d recommend you lengthen your legs…

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 07:10:48 PM »
Everyone else that has posted has already nailed it. I’m just rambling.

I’m the same height, short legs, size 10. I’ve realized this: we are the perfect height for skating. Our short legs also make it easier for us, we have a lower center of gravity. We shoulda coulda went pro.

As to the setup, imo, just sticking with the same thing, is the best for results. It can be fun/frustrating to switch stuff up, and you might get some short term results but consistency helps with consistency.

Xen is correct: 7.9 is an 8. 8.1, also an 8. It’s like the same size. Width isn’t the most important measurement, but if that’s all you are using, just stick with that!
I ride 8s (sometimes 7.9s, sometimes boards that are sold as 8, are 7.9, sometimes 8.1, doesn’t matter. I skate venture lo’s the most. Low trucks are a commitment to smooth ground, and wheels 52 or less. Might not be worth the trade off.
None of this stuff matters.
More time skating and all of these concerns will go away.

Or find another area of obsession.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 07:45:57 PM »
Short skater here at 5'5". I'm a heavy, broad dude as my username suggests and found that length and wheelbase matter a lot more than width. Ex: For me, anything from 7.8 to 8.25 works as long as the effective wheelbase (by that I mean measuring axel to axel) is 17"-17.25" and deck length is around 31.5". These are like my "jack of all trades" specs where things just work.

Then again though, I spent a ton of time on the 8.38 DLX shape (8.38x32.25x14.5) and that felt amazing as well so I have no clue what really "works" and what doesn't.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 10:02:58 PM »
well I’m about 5’6” like 125lbs. I’ve been riding an 8.0” deck, with a 31.5”-32” length and 14” wheelbase for the last 15ish years. it feels right. always 8”high trucks, and 52-53 wheels too.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 462
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 04:00:33 AM »
7.9/ 7.88 was what I would ride during my more flat ground days. A lower truck might give you the feel you’re going for. Venture lo since you’re riding Venture already.

IpathCats

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 06:41:59 AM »
adjusting your wheelbase to better suit your leg length will have a more dramatic impact than adjusting width by .1"

DillsDarts

• Rep: -22
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 07:06:03 AM »
Then again though, I spent a ton of time on the 8.38 DLX shape (8.38x32.25x14.5) and that felt amazing as well so I have no clue what really "works" and what doesn't.
[/quote]

Fella short fella here, 5’6 lean & size 7-8 feet (depends on Brands) & can confirm the 8.38 eagle is magical… I skate more transition but have skated other brands & smaller boards that still felt more cumbersome in the streets… maybe us short dudes have more in the leg department requiring longer wheelbase?
'Offensive career gets one do over, last attitude gets two tries. Cariuma riders have a bigger margin for error but will ultimately be decided by the referee'.
[/quote]

IpathCats

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 07:07:24 AM »

Fella short fella here, 5’6 lean & size 7-8 feet (depends on Brands) & can confirm the 8.38 eagle is magical… I skate more transition but have skated other brands & smaller boards that still felt more cumbersome in the streets… maybe us short dudes have more in the leg department requiring longer wheelbase?
[/quote]

idk, im 6' 4" and ride that shape or the 8.3 14.4 twin tail, i wouldn't mind a longer (14.6-75) wb though.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 07:11:29 AM »
NOT adjusting your wheelbase to better suit your leg length will have a more dramatic impact than adjusting width by .1"

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2022, 11:16:39 PM »
I share same specs as OP, I ride wb only 14-14.25” anything over that feels too slow to flip. When I skated more tranny I loved those AH 8.38” boards tho.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.