Author Topic: Winter gear thread….  (Read 2437 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Winter gear thread….
« on: November 06, 2022, 08:52:46 AM »
It’s kicking in pretty good and I’m doing a checklist of all the stuff I run for the season: (low key flex)

Footwear: skate shoes: I have a pair of blazers…not skating them, cup only.  Water proof: some sort of hiker, I’ll carry my skate shoes in my bag.  Socks: potentially two pairs in case my feet get wet or my wear around socks ie. wool are different than my skate socks. 

Pants: jeans or a lighter pant with long u/w when the time comes.  It’s sick everything has sized up because it’s easier to run long u/w

Tops: layers and I do the first layer thing, they work well.  The Phelps vest is a handy piece.  It’s good to get a shell if you’re in a rainy place.

Board: bushings, I don’t do anything different but some people do.  Boards last longer because I hate skating a new board and getting it all wet and dirty. 

pack: garbage bags work fine but I got a 50lb pack cover that covers my board on my skate pack.  It looks pro.

Tools: I have a three piece broom handle that’s easier to carry on the bus, you can screw on a squeegee or brush.  I found a sick alternative to this is the painters extension pole, the smallest one is 21” which doubles in length.  Same deal, you can screw anything on them.  Come to think of it, I have a shovel from my snowboard days.  Just having a full sized snow shovel is a good thing to have to.  I picked up a piece of rebar to move curbs around in parking garages. 

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

Re: Winter gear thread….
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 09:49:23 AM »
-97a F4s instead of 99, for slippery indoor spots.
-Ben Davis instead of Dickies for similar reasons to J Soy.
-a nice VA Dickies vest.
-mid or high tops, looks like it could be Half Cab 92s this year.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 10:25:30 AM »
some rough work gloves that can handle the griptape.

honestly a blowtorch and some propane isnt too expensive

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YSN500K-Propane-Striker/dp/B09887JK7B?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9957
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 10:31:51 AM »
Thicker pants and thermals for when it gets down to 32.

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 125
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 10:51:42 AM »
Out here it doesnt get that cold. Worse is like 45 degrees maybe 30 at midnight or so.
So just a sweater and a beanie.

I get jealous when i see footage with dudes wearing puffy jackets and shit but then i realize how hard it is to skate like that and how it changes your board so much. You truly gotta love it when it is really cold.

graibe

• Rep: -53
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 11:21:57 AM »
It’s kicking in pretty good and I’m doing a checklist of all the stuff I run for the season: (low key flex)

Footwear: skate shoes: I have a pair of blazers…not skating them, cup only.  Water proof: some sort of hiker, I’ll carry my skate shoes in my bag.  Socks: potentially two pairs in case my feet get wet or my wear around socks ie. wool are different than my skate socks. 

Pants: jeans or a lighter pant with long u/w when the time comes.  It’s sick everything has sized up because it’s easier to run long u/w

Tops: layers and I do the first layer thing, they work well.  The Phelps vest is a handy piece.  It’s good to get a shell if you’re in a rainy place.

Board: bushings, I don’t do anything different but some people do.  Boards last longer because I hate skating a new board and getting it all wet and dirty. 

pack: garbage bags work fine but I got a 50lb pack cover that covers my board on my skate pack.  It looks pro.

Tools: I have a three piece broom handle that’s easier to carry on the bus, you can screw on a squeegee or brush.  I found a sick alternative to this is the painters extension pole, the smallest one is 21” which doubles in length.  Same deal, you can screw anything on them.  Come to think of it, I have a shovel from my snowboard days.  Just having a full sized snow shovel is a good thing to have to.  I picked up a piece of rebar to move curbs around in parking garages.

I find that a beanie and a jacket are great at the beginning of the skate sesh when its really chilly but as you skate and get sweaty, it's better to take all that shit off and feel the breeze.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 11:33:32 AM »
I’ve mentioned it before, so I’ll be brief. Wool base layers. Tops, bottoms and socks
fuck you bama

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 12:27:55 PM »
I’ve realized I’m not too precious for an umbrella……

The weather app is pretty sick and helps me plan my week. The days are so short I have to find more stuff around my place. 

I’m gonna snowboard too which might help take the edge off, last years winter sucked here…

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 12:29:06 PM »
Black vans sk8 his with gum sole to minimize showing winter grime.

Thermals and just general layering.

Board that’s been on ice and getting passed over because I lost interest in it.

Get hungry on it!

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2022, 12:40:26 PM »
Two layers of fleece, never needed more even below freezing. Also handy that you can take a layer of if you feel like one suffices. Beanie and some ice skating gloves with padded palms. Tracksuit under the pants but only in extreme temperature or for snowskating. I also have DVS boots made for snowskating but I only use them in skiresorts as the boardfeeling sucks. Thermos full of hot herbal tea but I do that all year round.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2022, 12:57:46 PM »
Polar Cord Surf Pants. Longsleeve. Hoodie. Gloves.
Fresh dry shirt for after...

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2022, 01:18:12 PM »
Please tell me about gloves that can handle griptape.
Preferably the cheapest ones

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2022, 03:40:50 PM »
what bushings are more cold resistant than your stock indy/venture/thunder bushings?

I've heard bones are pretty weather resistant, and ace and royal. anything aftermarket I can stuff in any of those three?

I got some af1s to try for winter but I dont like them as much as the big 3, but I always hate how they freeze up in the cold.

for me as long as it's dry I'll skate, I might keep it more mellow when it's really cold. hoodie and jacket, cheap suede hardware store gloves if needed. I'm in the same boat where I hate setting up a new deck during winter so I'll just stretch what I got as long as possible.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 125
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2022, 04:07:36 PM »
Af1 mids are my go to if jordan iiis are too expensive.
Jordan iii's have more boardfeel and are warmer than af1 mids.

2s are even warmer. But most people hate jordan 2s. Which is good. Usually find them below retail. They actually remind me of snow skate boots/shoes.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2022, 04:28:42 PM »
what bushings are more cold resistant than your stock indy/venture/thunder bushings?

Ace stock stay pretty loose. I have some Ace hards in right now and they were nice all summer but its now 40F and they feel horribly hard... I now wish I had the stocks in this particular pair of trucks.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2022, 05:26:22 PM »

I just stock up on Jersey gloves since they are cheap and disposable when they get shredded from grip and falling.  When it gets really cold I sometimes double up.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2022, 06:14:35 PM »
I always heat up my shoes before I go out, could be with my cars heat or some of those hand warmers. I also loosen my trucks and get some softer wheels.

thehogsniper

• Rep: 50
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2022, 06:47:50 PM »
It's not really skate related, but this is what I typically lean on during the Michigan winter:
  • LL Bean Boots: Can't stress it enough how much I use these boots for shoveling and awful wet/slush conditions. Sure, they're not everyone's cup of tea visually, but the more I wear them the more I love them. Don't ruin your nice shoes. Have something solid, waterproof, and warm to fall back on.
  • Simple low top lightweight shoes: I just bought a pair of Puig's so I'm relying on that. Essentially I just have something light to throw in my bag to take to work and change into.
  • Good set of 3-4 jackets: Especially right now, weather tends to fluctuate. I keep a good waterproof lined jacket, a thicker down jacket, and a fleece pullover.
  • Gloves: Always have a great pair of gloves. ALWAYS.

Joe Davola

• Rep: 59
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2022, 06:58:36 PM »
I have never owned a pair of gloves that actually keep my hands warm. This includes a pair of $100 gloves from REI purchased with a gift card.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2022, 07:24:27 PM »
Paper under the insole. Runners do it. It keeps you skating a little bit longer before your toes freeze.

Also if you have room, glue some shreds of flannel to the top of a thin insole. This also keeps your feet warm.

Also it’s that time of year where I try to get my work noticed despite minor a few minor falling outs after the video dropped. Sorry to y’all who have seen this before.

For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

thehogsniper

• Rep: 50
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2022, 07:51:23 PM »
I have never owned a pair of gloves that actually keep my hands warm. This includes a pair of $100 gloves from REI purchased with a gift card.
I had good luck with leather/shearling gloves. Also, they have those handwarmers which are really, really nice.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2022, 07:53:10 PM »

I wear these snowboarding is 25 F weather. They are terrific gloves with a lot of flex.

https://www.seirus.com/shield-st-xtreme-all-weather-glove

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2022, 09:59:18 PM »

for me winter in Oregon is the same as every season but summer, so sweatshirt and I picked up the board bag from the dc bronze56k drop, it’s water proof and can fit my skate shoes in it. The hard thing here is lack of indoor skateparks, so just finding a dry spot for flat ground is more the struggle than any temperature,  It’s mostly around 45f all the time so you get used to it. Did grab a couple new Matix jackets from rosses so that will help the walk from the car in the pouring down rain lol.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2022, 10:07:02 PM »
For me it’s parking garages and waiting for parks or spots to dry up…similar climate here, maybe snows once a year.  On gloves, I just buy a bunch of cheap wool ones at the dollar store and keep them everywhere because I always forget them or think I don’t need them. 

FuzzGNU

• The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2022, 04:53:19 AM »
Out here it doesnt get that cold. Worse is like 45 degrees maybe 30 at midnight or so.

I get jealous when i see footage with dudes wearing puffy jackets and shit but then i realize how hard it is to skate like that and how it changes your board so much. You truly gotta love it when it is really cold.

You don't know the half of it. Your muscles don't work the same in the cold. Feels like your muscles are half frozen... Requires warm up/stretching, takes longer to warm up than usual, and even then it's just not the same. And that's aside from all the clothing getting in your way.

The true worst thing is that everything hurts more. A run of the mill slam is that much worse. Feels like every bone in your body gets jarred and hurts from a winter slam. It's a chilling pain.

Your board is probably going to get wet, muddy, and salty no matter how careful you are too. Would not recommend using good bearings during the winter.

Like you said, you REALLY have to love skateboarding to winter skate. And I do :)

Still sucks though.

I'll just use those really cheap thin black knit ones. Or my standard big winter gloves when it's colder. Never had an issue personally. I just sort of conciously avoid making friction.

People have made some great points in this thread about how modern pants being baggy should go great with long u/w, definitely going to try that.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 05:05:54 AM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2022, 05:07:14 AM »
ableSkateMag.com

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2022, 05:18:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You don't know the half of it. Your muscles don't work the same in the cold. Feels like your muscles are half frozen... Requires warm up/stretching, takes longer to warm up than usual, and even then it's just not the same. And that's aside from all the clothing getting in your way.

The true worst thing is that everything hurts more. A run of the mill slam is that much worse. Feels like every bone in your body gets jarred and hurts from a winter slam. It's a chilling pain.

Your board is probably going to get wet, muddy, and salty no matter how careful you are too. Would not recommend using good bearings during the winter.

Like you said, you REALLY have to love skateboarding to winter skate. And I do :)

Still sucks though.

Expand Quote
[close]

I'll just use those really cheap thin black knit ones. Or my standard big winter gloves when it's colder. Never had an issue personally. I just sort of conciously avoid making friction.

People have made some great points in this thread about how modern pants being baggy should go great with long u/w, definitely going to try that.

And don't forget your drink freezing that is sitting there on the curb.  I'll pretty much go no matter how cold it is, but when that wind gets moving and it is in the teens or below, it stops being fun.  Wind in the winter is brutal.

FuzzGNU

• The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2022, 05:51:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Still sucks though.

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

And don't forget your drink freezing that is sitting there on the curb.  I'll pretty much go no matter how cold it is, but when that wind gets moving and it is in the teens or below, it stops being fun.  Wind in the winter is brutal.

That's a good point. High wind sucks for skating, but at least if it's warm out the wind can be refreshing. Winter wind is fucked and a complete session killer.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2022, 06:53:22 AM »
Would gripping your deck with very thin lines of griptape lead to more grip in wet conditions? Like imagine the pattern on shoe soles as grip stripes. Maybe even bigger gaps between stripes? I really don't know

Should have posted this here. Important question because I'm about regrip an old deck for a rain/snow/whatever board

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2022, 09:20:37 AM »
Af1 mids are my go to if jordan iiis are too expensive.
Jordan iii's have more boardfeel and are warmer than af1 mids.

2s are even warmer. But most people hate jordan 2s. Which is good. Usually find them below retail. They actually remind me of snow skate boots/shoes.
below retail is anything under $200 for retros
where are you finding pairs cheap enough to skate in?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo