Author Topic: skateboarding is a martial art  (Read 2488 times)

Fartknocker415

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -45
Re: skateboarding is a martial art
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2022, 04:08:57 PM »
i was skating at the park the other day and realized if my board wasnt there id basically be running around doing karate kicks for a few hours.

Perforated Opinions

• Rep: -198
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2022, 05:37:54 PM »

needs work.

greenbeans

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2022, 05:41:08 PM »
Skateboarding is an art

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2022, 06:07:55 PM »
I yell out hei-yah everytime I do a trick
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

Tight Pants Big Wheels

• Rep: -8
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2022, 06:12:05 PM »
It could mean different things to different people, and I respect answers like it being an art form, which is probably why it can be enjoyable to watch like other art. It can be done competitively, which qualifies it as a sport for those that do. For me personally, I just skate because it's fun to skate and I get fulfillment from challenging myself, so I guess that makes it a hobby of mine.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1153
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2022, 06:17:54 PM »
It’s got way way more in common with gymnastics with any of that other shit.  Figure skating too.  Juggling.  Yo-yo-ing.  Ultimate frisbee.  Anything frisbee-related.  Cool pet tricks.

All of those are way closer to skating than a fucking martial art.  Cmon man
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -68
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2022, 07:02:25 PM »
Skateboarding is an art

Are rollerblades, scooters, BMX, motorcross, surfing, snowboarding, wakeboarding, waterskiing, ice skating, juggling, yoyo'ing and parkour also art?

Alls I'm saying is, if I met someone and they said "I'm an artist" and I said "oh neat, what's your medium" and they said "the skateboard" I would say "oh fuck off".

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2022, 07:03:21 PM »
I'd equate it more closely with certain disciplines of dance.

Agreed, much closer to dance. What you do matters as much as how you do it, as long as the end result looks cool and was fun.

Martial arts is too focused on pragmatic outcomes, either competition or the ability to fuck someone up. Any semblance of individuality in most martial arts makes you an automatic kook, way more than in skating or some traditional sport.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2022, 09:18:32 PM »
Peak dorkiness is somebody teaching themself karate I think somebody teaching themself to skate isn't quite at that level

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2022, 09:31:35 PM »
Skateboarding is. It’s like a lot of things, but nothing is like it. It’s why we are all still here and talking and obsessing over it as we know the unique joy of riding and manipulating this intricate toy.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2022, 09:47:33 PM »
Skateboarding is. It’s like a lot of things, but nothing is like it. It’s why we are all still here and talking and obsessing over it as we know the unique joy of riding and manipulating this intricate toy.

cwilks88

• Rep: -1
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2022, 10:43:25 PM »
I fear not the skater who has practiced 10,000 flip tricks once, but I fear the skater who has practiced one flip trick 10,000 times.

- Animal Chin

It's a lot of things just like a lot of things can be seen as a lot of things. My favorite "sport" for instance boxing. Boxing is a sport, it's also a martial art, it's also a way to get exercise, it's also a game of sorts like chess if you're fighting or sparing, some people call it "the sweet science", which I'm surprised more people don't speak on the scientific and more calculated aspects of skateboarding and how inches truly count, or the physics behind the way a skater is built compared to what they can realistically achieve on a skateboard, Tyshawn for instance...the reason he can pop the way he does has a lot to do with the way he is built as a person. skateboarding is like that, it's all sorts of things that culminate into riding a piece of wood around with wheels connected to a turning mechanism where you can do tricks on different obstacles or go fast down a hill. Shit a skateboard itself can be looked at a as a toy or a serious vehicle...or something like a paintbrush, a tool used to express yourself..etc etc. To me it's just skateboarding...and to me when I do it, it feels more a like a game or a puzzle that I'm constantly trying to figure out, that can also break me off...so like that box on Hellraiser I guess. But I can see the "martial arts" aspects you're talking about, less (zero) of the combatives and more of the creativity through physical motion that one can experience when practicing a combative martial art... and skateboarding, and a lot of other shit.

itspizzapie

• Rep: -13
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2022, 02:33:24 AM »

Natas Fauxas

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2022, 04:14:17 AM »
I would agree except martial arts are defined as a form of combat. And don't give me some lame shit about how "you're in combat with your board, or the obstacle" or some shit like that

Fighting gravity.

Since I practice different MA in my live - comparison fits to me well. But same for dancing!

tight community with own culture/ lifestyle it’s more about doing / practices then result or winning.

It’s not just about making the movement, higher, faster, longer  - it’s about the feel and look and the expression.
A 5.0 Grind is similar to a low kick - kind of easy but perfectly executed- deadly - well feeling and a thing of beauty. You can recognize just through someone pushing through the park - or standing in front of a sandbank  if he got it and lives and breath his art.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2022, 04:59:35 AM »
Skating is skating.   It doesn’t need to be a metaphor or anything else.   That’s just coping mechanisms who feel they need to justify the presence of something deemed “unserious” in their adult lives

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1485
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2022, 08:46:50 AM »
Skateboarding is the sex. Everyone has their own kinks. Some people lie about doing it. There are people super enthusiastic about it even if they suck at it.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3340
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2022, 10:38:47 AM »
I, Skateboard

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2022, 10:41:07 AM »

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2022, 10:48:11 AM »
I'm more interested in the eternal question
Is it a Crime?

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -68
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2022, 10:54:01 AM »
Is it a Crime?

This answer is, was, and always has been...

Sometimes.

Streebo

• Rep: -31
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2022, 10:56:19 AM »
How much weed did you smoke before posting this?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2022, 11:04:29 AM »
Is it a Crime?

Usually just a misdemeanor