Author Topic: Skating when it's rainy?  (Read 3295 times)

Kanteen Russell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -72
Re: Skating when it's rainy?
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2022, 03:00:32 PM »
I did it once super hyped on Pat Duffy's shredding in the rain. But I nutted myself immediately and also got a swellbow the size of a baseball trying to boarslide my local three stair (this was like 25 years ago).

I later went back and immediately nutted myself again despite it being perfectly sunny outside which pissed me off

Still I'm really scared of thunder and lightning so that's my excuse not to but sometimes I also think of the three stair rail and that also reminds me not to skate in the rain.

Lostdog

• Rep: -30
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2022, 04:20:27 PM »
Skating in parking garages in the rainy season makes me wanna kms

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2022, 04:33:06 PM »
This is giving me ideas. Does the Element  flatbar fit in a small car? Is it solid or flimsy?
They're solid, i've fit two of those in my two door before pretty easily with the back seats down.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2022, 07:01:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Getting caught slipping by the rain on the main rides the worst.

I invested in some shit today. Hopefully it leads to something. I really need to stop being a tool bag to myself.

I need to eat more and skate less
[close]

Do you not eat enough?

Nah. Idk what's wrong with me. I have food go bad and shit. I try and eat fruits and veggies twice a day and drink mad coffee.

I barely meat. It makes me feel guilty. I like Spanish food. I sometimes do that when I meat. Suede shoes and leather jackets make me feel bad too.

I used to black beans rice and broccoli everyday

I'm going on 4 years of pretty much nothing but a cup of Blueberries and 2 cups of oatmeal every morning.

I usually forget to eat till dinner and do whatever
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

switchfakie

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2022, 08:18:48 PM »
This is giving me ideas. Does the Element  flatbar fit in a small car? Is it solid or flimsy?

it does if your back seats can fold down into your trunk space

my honda accord fits it

use a measuring tape to check if your car can fit it (its 6ft). the legs are detachable so you dont gotta worry for that clearance

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2022, 09:44:25 PM »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2022, 11:28:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

my honda accord fits it

use a measuring tape to check if your car can fit it (its 6ft). the legs are detachable so you dont gotta worry for that clearance

Negative. Are there alternatives?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2022, 06:09:54 AM »
Love that switch fakie had to explain how to see if something fits in a car lol
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Kanteen Russell

• Rep: -72
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2022, 06:34:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

my honda accord fits it

[close]

If you Google search "bungee chords near me" youll find what you looking for.

justpassingthrough

• Rep: 15
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2022, 07:58:07 AM »
I scrounged around for old parts and had enough to make a rain complete that I skate.  Once the deck dries the wood is not as bad as I thought it would be.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2022, 10:49:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

my honda accord fits it

[close]

💀💀💀

nothing's been the since same

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2022, 11:25:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

my honda accord fits it

[close]

You're in CH, right? Decathlon sells a 1.5m flatbar for pretty cheap. Mine should arrive tomorrow, I'll report back if it's any good.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2022, 11:50:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

my honda accord fits it

[close]

[close]

You're in CH, right? Decathlon sells a 1.5m flatbar for pretty cheap. Mine should arrive tomorrow, I'll report back if it's any good.

I saw the Decathlon bar, please do report on it. Thanks in advance!
why come?

signtime

• Rep: 1
  • Big Mountain Snowskating!
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2022, 03:20:32 PM »
When it downpours, I like to cruise the long flat bike trails by the river. Makes me feel alive. Have to wear safety glasses to keep water out of my eyes... Be very careful if it starts flash flooding.

rickdizzo

• Rep: 15
  • I'M THE WHITE LIAM NEESON
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2022, 03:26:14 PM »
i have a part time gig teaching little kids how to skate, we have a little indoor spot with some features (mini ramp, flatbar) but the only problem is that it’s a elementary school gym so the floor is rubber.

signtime

• Rep: 1
  • Big Mountain Snowskating!
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2022, 04:27:00 PM »
i have a part time gig teaching little kids how to skate, we have a little indoor spot with some features (mini ramp, flatbar) but the only problem is that it’s a elementary school gym so the floor is rubber.

Awww!!! Somehow I just picture the little kids just bouncing back up onto their feet when they fall 🥰🥰🥰 cute!!

Cord Winer

• Rep: -1
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2022, 05:53:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Getting caught slipping by the rain on the main rides the worst.

I invested in some shit today. Hopefully it leads to something. I really need to stop being a tool bag to myself.

I need to eat more and skate less
[close]

Do you not eat enough?
[close]

Nah. Idk what's wrong with me. I have food go bad and shit. I try and eat fruits and veggies twice a day and drink mad coffee.

I barely meat. It makes me feel guilty. I like Spanish food. I sometimes do that when I meat. Suede shoes and leather jackets make me feel bad too.

I used to black beans rice and broccoli everyday

I'm going on 4 years of pretty much nothing but a cup of Blueberries and 2 cups of oatmeal every morning.

I usually forget to eat till dinner and do whatever
Damn. I feel you. Hope you're doing alright under the circumstances. Eating is really important. It's like medicine for your body. Good luck man and keep ripping.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2022, 09:11:12 AM »
Here in the UK, rain = rest days, for me at least.

We've had a pretty dry autumn sofar, it's only really the last few days that have been a no-go consistently.

I skated with my brother at his local park when i was visiting family a few weeks ago, we went out to fly a drone and go for a walk but dug his crappy element complete out of the car to skate the absolutely soaked park for the lols.

Nearly died several times, and gained a new appreciation for dry griptape when trying to do flip tricks. Powerslides are fun though.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2022, 08:01:37 PM »
Vancouver does this thing where it mists/spits rain and you think you can go out in it and skate - but 20 mins later your board is soaked and you can't pop your tricks. Somehow your clothes are dry and you don't think it's raining because you don't feel droplets, but it is..

Still trying to figure out this PNW rainforest weather shit

Maybe I need a rain board!

That's what it's been like here in my town on Vancouver Island the past week. The roads are wet at night and in the morning even though it hasn't rained in a week. Just really foggy and like 90+% humidity.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2022, 03:10:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

my honda accord fits it

[close]

[close]

Any news ?
why come?

scab

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2022, 08:57:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

my honda accord fits it

[close]

[close]

[close]

Finally got around to trying out the flatbar:
https://youtu.be/im1BZcz7vdc

It's surprisingly sturdy. Nothing rattles, everything keeps in place. Doesn't bend too much, doesn't feel unstable. I intentionally did the lipslide on the lowest rung to really apply some force to it, but it seems to have taken the impact in stride. I'm not particularly light either (200lb/91kg), so I'd say it's definitely not just for kids or lightweights.

It's a little short for my taste, but that makes it fit into my very small car (Mitsubishi Space Star).

I don't have a lot of tricks on flatbars back yet, but I'm pretty sure I can relearn a couple of old tricks on this one. I can definitely recommend it.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2022, 09:11:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

my honda accord fits it

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's surprisingly sturdy. Nothing rattles, everything keeps in place. Doesn't bend too much, doesn't feel unstable. I intentionally did the lipslide on the lowest rung to really apply some force to it, but it seems to have taken the impact in stride. I'm not particularly light either (200lb/91kg), so I'd say it's definitely not just for kids or lightweights.

It's a little short for my taste, but that makes it fit into my very small car (Mitsubishi Space Star).

I don't have a lot of tricks on flatbars back yet, but I'm pretty sure I can relearn a couple of old tricks on this one. I can definitely recommend it.
Fuck they are only €80 gonna get one for my garage. Thanks for the review!

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2022, 09:11:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

my honda accord fits it

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Have a gnar. That seals it, I‘m gonna cop one.
why come?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2022, 12:46:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

my honda accord fits it

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Have a gnar. That seals it, I‘m gonna cop one.

@scab just coming back to say thanks, I got the flatbar and it‘s great. It doesn‘t fit in my car in one piece but it‘s easy to take apart/set up, two screws only and they are skate tool compatible which I find clever. It‘s very solid but I still can carry it to spots from the parking lot.

I managed to do front and back boardslides and 50/50s on the lowest level so far. I want to learn lipslides and also go higher. Grinds are so scary on a flatbar. Did you do anything else on it, I can think of 5-0s but most other grinds seem too gnarly. Also nose/tailslides freak me out on flatbars (I can‘t do tailslides anyway).

Anyway just rambling, thanks again, without your vid I might not have copped this and missed some fun.

Other flatbar enjoyers please feel free to chime in…
why come?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2022, 01:28:57 AM »
I forgot all about both Kyle Leeper and that awesome Etnies vid.

As for rain, we got rained on mid session today, sought shelter under a nearby covered curb, made a makeshift bank from a wooden pallet too.

You just have to keep an eye on forecasts and spot pick accordingly

boltwheels

• Rep: -3
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2022, 02:13:49 AM »
Dude that's awesome. I went skating in the rain under and overpass yesterday but I slid out and fell on my ass because of some of the wet ground. How do you keep from sliding out??
you don’t, it’s part of it  ;D

scab

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2022, 09:00:29 AM »
just coming back to say thanks, I got the flatbar and it‘s great. It doesn‘t fit in my car in one piece but it‘s easy to take apart/set up, two screws only and they are skate tool compatible which I find clever. It‘s very solid but I still can carry it to spots from the parking lot.

I managed to do front and back boardslides and 50/50s on the lowest level so far. I want to learn lipslides and also go higher. Grinds are so scary on a flatbar. Did you do anything else on it, I can think of 5-0s but most other grinds seem too gnarly. Also nose/tailslides freak me out on flatbars (I can‘t do tailslides anyway).

Anyway just rambling, thanks again, without your vid I might not have copped this and missed some fun.

Other flatbar enjoyers please feel free to chime in…

@Easy Slider Completely missed your reply, sorry. Might be a little late, but I learned fs lipslides by going at it as a straight on boardslide first and then slowly going over to frontside. Probably not a very hellride way to learn it, but it worked surprisingly well for me. I'm currently working on learning BS 5050s in the same way. I'm also trying to learn fakie fs boardslides (fakie ollie switch fs lipslide? Damn naming conventions) and nollie bs boardslides,  but I'm not particularly close to getting those consisent yet.   

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2022, 10:40:14 AM »
I have some covered spots with small ledges and a parking garage (flatground only tho).
It's such a good feeling to have covered spaces like this—I love how all the sounds echo… even my smallest ollies sound powerful  :D

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2022, 10:57:31 AM »
If it's only a day or two of rain I just stay in.
If it's like a week of rain I'll hit a parking garage and do a flatground and manny session.

channingsk8um

• Rep: 0
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2022, 11:24:05 AM »
if I really wanna skate that bad I’ll just set up an old deck, old bearings, and some cruiser wheels and skate the same shit as usual.