Author Topic: can i use dirt as backfill for diy  (Read 404 times)

chipped tail

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
can i use dirt as backfill for diy
« on: November 11, 2022, 11:00:48 AM »
Sup Y'all Im making a cement mini ramp. got some forms up but i dont have any big rocks or chunks of anything solid to use as fill. I have a shit load of dirt tho. is there any reason I should not use dirt as filler? I guess my concern is that dirt will compact over time and leave empty space under the cement. Maybe that doesnt matter. I cant anything that specifically talks about this. Thanks

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
Re: can i use dirt as backfill for diy
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 11:36:27 AM »
Definitely not an expert, but I wouldn't think so.
I know when they use dirt under a flat driveway they have to compact the ever loving shit out of it before pouring the concrete. Be hard to pull that off at a DIY. Between the dirt compacting and erosion I think the concrete would start cracking pretty fast.
Maybe if you used a shitload of rebar? I dunno.

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 12:07:51 PM »
As long as it is 3+ inches thick and steel reinforced you'll have nothing to worry about

Even if it's not 3 inches thick, has no rebar or steel mesh, it will last longer than most vigilante DIY builds

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 04:17:10 PM »
You should post some pictures of your forms and a general plan of how you plan to build the mini ramp if you want an accurate answer. Dirt is fine as fill if it is not supporting your ramp or if the ramp is going to be poured as one solid piece that will hold itself together with steel. Basically the bottom line is that raw, uncompacted dirt has little 'structural' value and will probably erode over time because of wind or rain, but depending on how you are building the ramp it might not matter.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

switchfakie

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 07:57:42 PM »
i wouldnt use dirt

you can buy cinderblocks for cheap at HD or lowes, id recommend that & just fill them up with dirt in the cavities