Author Topic: Tyshawn and Nakel’s board brand is called King skateboards  (Read 158386 times)

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 101
Re: Tyshawn and Nakel’s board brand is called King skateboards
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2022, 02:10:01 AM »
Not a fan of the logo aswell but I'm looking forward to the graphics because I'm positive it will not be just a crown in the middle like mentioned above

Also super stoked on the upcoming video

scab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2022, 02:11:55 AM »
I don't think brands like this necessarily need or even want to be staples in core shops. I wouldn't be surprised if Tyshawn's goal is simply to do his own thing and have the company do well enough to stay afloat and not bleed money. I obviously don't have any insights in his finances, but I'm guessing he doesn't just light those Adidas checks on fire. It can absolutely makes sense from a financial point of view to invest that money into his own company instead of keeping it under the mattress, even though and sometimes especially if the company isn't very profitable. That can be achieved by relying on a couple major online resellers and direct b2c sales if your reach is big enough which definitely is the case for Tyshawn. Let's not forget that 99% of Slap users won't be the target audience for this brand.

veritas

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2022, 02:24:16 AM »
Not a fan of the logo aswell but I'm looking forward to the graphics because I'm positive it will not be just a crown in the middle like mentioned above

Given the name / connotations behind it hoping he gets Carl Aikens and Kader (if he's not already on Violet) onboard as well

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2022, 02:24:23 AM »
That tre flip ad is so fucked, if he actually rides off and roles away after then I'm fully expecting a SOTY winning part.  Hope that date on the site is a full vid plus extra stuff from the speculated supreme vid. Should be a bunch of footy coming

burner

• Rep: 86
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2022, 02:26:41 AM »
King? I thought he was the General. General Skateboards...no that's not good either. Good luck to them, I wonder who they'll distro through??

1080isthebeststunt

• Rep: -30

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2022, 02:39:51 AM »
Ooooooof no bueno
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2022, 02:45:08 AM »
Let’s not pretend that most skate company names and logos are any good. We got Real FFS and they’re selling fine. Terrible graphics, stupid name, ass logo. It’s not that important. People will be hyped and there’s a lot more to keeping them hyped than the name & logo, which to me are both ok.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2022, 02:50:01 AM »
Let’s not pretend that most skate company names and logos are any good. We got Real FFS and they’re selling fine. Terrible graphics, stupid name, ass logo. It’s not that important. People will be hyped and there’s a lot more to keeping them hyped than the name & logo, which to me are both ok.

I'm sure the real logo and identity (it does have one) looked fucking great when it started decades ago. It would do absolutely dog shit now.

As someone said this looks like a vaping company that rebrands itself every quarter
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2022, 02:59:14 AM »
Also, if one of your brands is already called Hardies, I wouldn’t name my other company something that sounds close to another burger fast food place

Skatebrain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2022, 03:24:54 AM »
Judging by the fire sale FA had unloading unsold inventory.   It is probably a very difficult time to start a board brand.    That said if you were to do so, everything about brand has to be on point.   

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2022, 03:46:31 AM »
Also, if one of your brands is already called Hardies, I wouldn’t name my other company something that sounds close to another burger fast food place

I like the name Hardies Hardware it's catchy

Lethatefillyourheart

• Rep: 9
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2022, 03:51:40 AM »
Generic and sterile name and logo. 

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2022, 04:05:55 AM »
That logo makes the disorder logo look profound.

Get hungry on it!

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2022, 04:08:10 AM »
looks like one of those skate 3 team logos you gotta pick in game

Shoulda called it Boardies

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2022, 04:09:59 AM »
This is why pros who start brands should hire graphic designers or use other artist for their graphics. Polars aesthetic is dialed with Jacob and Tynan Kerr, Tyshawn and Na-Kel would be wise to do something similar.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2022, 04:15:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I like the name Hardies Hardware it's catchy

It’s called Carls Jr Hardware on the west coast

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2022, 04:15:24 AM »
Expand Quote
As usual I'm not sure who's trolling and who's ignorant, so I'll just leave this article here for people who don't get why a black man would name his company King.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soloish/wp/2018/05/11/why-i-call-my-male-friends-king/

It's not my place to judge the name choice, but there's definitely a whole lot more thought and meaning behind it than some people might think.
[close]

article is paywalled, wanna post it for those of us unlearned?

Male friendship is often mocked, in the many “bro culture” memes and the jokey way we invoke the word “bromance.” For both men and women, it’s easier to laugh and ridicule than to accept that genuine love between male friends is real, and can be wholesome and completely devoid of toxic masculinity.

My male friends are some of the most supportive and loving people I know. They have given me jobs, told me when my fly was down, checked in on me when I ghosted them, let me know when I put too much Vaseline on my face, given me space when I’m wyling out, texted me when I’m anxious, talked me out of dumb decisions and held me when I cried. But more than anything else, they have loved me and appreciated me. Which is why my male friends and I have been following the newish trend among black men to call one another “king.”

Male friendships are appreciated in some areas of pop culture. Judd Apatow has made an entire career out of movies about them. If you were a white man in the mid-2000s and wanted to be an actor, you could go audition for one of his movies that featured Seth Rogen and hope you were cast opposite him as his white best friend.

Jay-Z and Kanye West are on-and-off best friends who made a monumental joint album in 2011 about their brotherhood and being successful, famous black men at the top of their game. The biggest rap group in the world right now is Migos, made up of Quavo, Takeoff and Offset, a trio of best friends who also are related to one another, rap together, make money together and love each other.

These are some areas of pop culture that I look to as models for what friendship can be. But ultimately I do things my way. Last week, my best friend Isaiah was dealing with a tough personal issue, and it hurt me that he was hurting. I woke up the next day, typed a beautiful text to him in which I called him a king, offered to buy him Chick-fil-A, and told him that I loved him and would be there for him if he needed to talk that day and every day that followed.

Sometimes “friend,” “buddy,” “pal” or “bro” doesn’t suffice. “King” is a word that goes a step further than others in proclaiming your love and appreciation. It’s like: I see you out there. You’re doing your thing, and we may not agree on the best song off Frank Ocean’s “Blonde,” but you are a king.

When I’m calling you a king, I’m admiring your sauce and trying to remind you that you do have that sauce. I’ll see a homie on Twitter feeling down, and I’ll text them four words: You are a king. I’ll be on Instagram and see that my friend Stephen just got a new haircut, and I’ll respond to his story with one four-letter word: king. I’ll greet my friend Alston at his birthday party with “Happy birthday, king.” I’ll be going through something stressful, and one of my homies will tell me: “You got this, king.”

Men calling each other king isn’t a new phenomenon. In the black community, people have been calling one another kings and queens for decades as a term of endearment and to support the idea that black people collectively descended from African royalty. Writer Damon Young pointed out the issues with this in a 2016 essay arguing against the practice, saying: “If you’re from a place where kings and queens existed, there’s a small chance you actually directly descended from them. And a much, much, much, much, much, much, much larger chance you descended from people who were ruled by them. And, if history is any guide, if you happen to be from a place with an unfathomably wealthy ruling class, that unfathomable wealth most likely ended with the ruling class.”

But many songs still perpetuate this idea. A 2013 Jay-Z song opens with an intro from Pimp C’s last interview, in which he talks about black people originating from kings. Despite the historical inaccuracy, calling each other kings and queens is simply a reminder of black Americans’ history in Africa before slavery, something that many in this country don’t know much about.

In the past year, “king” as a term of endearment among black people has become more popular and taken center stage on Twitter. There’s no specific meme or tweet from an account with several thousand followers that started it, and no BuzzFeed article full of tweets from people calling each other king to explain it. Rather it’s happened organically, the way many things do on Twitter.

However, with the resurgence of king-calling, it is understandable that some black people are not pleased that non-black men have co-opted the term.

“They always latch onto black endearment,” my friend Guled told me. “You don’t qualify.”

I’m a black man with tortoiseshell glasses and a nose ring, and I live in Brooklyn, so I do have white friends. However, we live in a patriarchal society where white men are the most privileged. They have been looked at as kings for centuries, and at this point I’m just not in the mood anymore to say what has already been said systemically. I would rather devote my time and breath to telling those among my male friends who will always live in a world that really doesn’t want them that they have that sauce and are the masters of that sauce.

Self-confidence fuels everything we do as human beings. Do you have the confidence in yourself to quit that weird marketing job and pursue your passion for cooking? Do you have the confidence in yourself to get that new haircut and proudly rock it? Do you have the confidence to just be you all the time and never sacrifice that for anyone? In 2018, there are so many things going on that affect our self-confidence and perception of ourselves as men, but when your kings got you and let you know that they love you and will always have your back? There’s nothing you can’t do.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2022, 04:21:35 AM »
Think that writer was just wanKING

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2022, 04:27:22 AM »
This will not last. Like someone said it’s a Numbers type company. Plus Nakel has and will have say on the brand so you know it’s gonna be ass.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2022, 04:28:52 AM »
All hail King Tyshawn I. At least now we know why he was laying on that couch so dandy in the white suit in the General part, garments befitting of a King! Can‘t wait for the tre footy, your Majesty!
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2022, 04:29:31 AM »
Yea logo sucks branding and design is looking sus but footage will be good. Primitive is a corny brand with amazing skaters and videos so that’s what I’ll hope for. More TJ footage with less Strobeck zoom is a win at the end of the day.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2022, 04:29:47 AM »
Gutted, should've just expanded Hardies. Na Kel got that magic touch though, he's got the eye and creative prowess to knock it out the park. And if people don't like it he'll snap your board and knock you out the park until you're too scared to rep anything else.

bohemian

• Rep: -299
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2022, 04:40:45 AM »

IpathCats

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2022, 04:52:40 AM »
I'm Tyshawn's fan but holy shit, that logo is beyond horrendous... what in the "design is my passion" is that?! I'm at a loss of words honestly. And the name... Jesus Christ.
Honestly this makes Nyjah's Disorder look good in comparison (let that sink in).

Yea, this 'bout sums it up.

/thread

skunty

• Rep: 68
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2022, 05:02:16 AM »

He’s been skating a board w this logo in the middle, and so has Zach saracenco

apport

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2022, 05:13:57 AM »
it’s not just bland and uncreative, it’s straight up Bad, really one of the shittiest logos/brand names in the history of skateboarding

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2022, 05:16:46 AM »
I hope they didn't pay anyone for that logo. Looks like it's straight out of Microsoft clipart. Remember when Manny Santiago's board company used a stock image vector gorilla or something?

IpathCats

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2022, 05:17:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He’s been skating a board w this logo in the middle, and so has Zach saracenco

Maybe i'm wrong but i thought the whole calling each other "king" thing came about as a way for black men to uplift each other? Please school me if i'm wrong, but if that is the case and they really HAD to go with this name it should've been an all black team imo. Glad he's getting put on, but having a VERY soft faced lookin white boy on a brand called "King" seems kinda weird.