Author Topic: Tyshawn and Nakel’s board brand is called King skateboards  (Read 165287 times)

jgonzalez and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

switchfakie

Re: Tyshawn and Nakel’s board brand is called King skateboards
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2022, 07:13:35 AM »
i like TJ & Na-kel but the logo and name sucks. this some 00-10's basic ass shit

IpathCats

« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2022, 07:14:38 AM »
Honestly, should have just called it Skates So Good and used the same logo as his restaurant and called it a day.

Bad, but still better than what they went with haha.

apport

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2022, 07:15:23 AM »
Honestly, should have just called it Skates So Good and used the same logo as his restaurant and called it a day.
this i would honestly back, with board graphics of like oxtail and jerk chicken, would have 1000 times more character than king

something that might bug me more than the logo and brand name is that zach's last name is "saraceno" and not "sacareno". how much better does ZACH SACARENO roll off the tongue. all i'm saying is tyshawn better force a tx/desarmo style name change.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2022, 07:20:06 AM »
I don't disagree with any of the thoughts above, but how many board companies out there actually have good graphic design/identity?

GREAT
AWS
Habitat
Quasi
Palace
Spitfire
$lave
old Toy Machine

GOOD
Chocolate
Polar
Hockey
Antihero

MEH BUT IDENTIFIABLE
modern toy machine
FA
Girl
Primitive
Zero
Baker
Krooked
DGK
Powell
WKND

BAD
Real
Real (again)
Deathwish
Element
Blind

SO BAD IT'S GREAT
Sour
SK8Mafia
Darkstar

AWS/Habitat needs a modern/old distinction with old in good and modern in meh. Passport also needs to be in the top tier.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2022, 07:22:35 AM »
Love Tyshawn, but bad logo, someone should have spent more than five minutes in Illustrator. Here's what you can do with 10 mins

solid try but i don't think this brand is salvageable, the king/crown imagery and concept is just so wack and stupid to start with

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2022, 07:24:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

something that might bug me more than the logo and brand name is that zach's last name is "saraceno" and not "sacareno". how much better does ZACH SACARENO roll off the tongue. all i'm saying is tyshawn better force a tx/desarmo style name change.
Saraceneaux

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -484
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2022, 07:31:02 AM »
This brand identity is not sjw safe. I wonder if people get triggered.
Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2022, 07:39:27 AM »
chris gentry is rolling over in his skateboard car rn

fr fr

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2022, 07:41:48 AM »
Graphic looks like a thank you or blind or Walmart graphic.  Name is wack like free dome bad.  Numbers iphone background graphic may be better. Also is there a direction with this company? I mean dudes on slap assigning a direction but has TJ himself said anything to go along with the direction of a pro black company and stuff that slap is claiming?  If tj said it cool but if he didn’t your just creating a narrative that isn’t there
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 07:50:15 AM by Murge »

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2022, 07:46:31 AM »
Expand Quote
looks like one of those skate 3 team logos you gotta pick in game
[close]

Shoulda called it Boardies

feelin this

IpathCats

« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2022, 07:47:42 AM »
Graphic looks like a thank you or blind or Walmart graphic.  Name is wack. Numbers iphone background graphic may be better. Also is there a direction with this company? I mean dudes on slap assigning a direction but has TJ himself said anything to go along with the direction of a pro black company and stuff that slap is claiming?  If tj said it cool but if he didn’t your just creating a narrative that isn’t there

No statement from Tyshawn, but come on man, that's a fairly safe assumption to make if you know much about him. The whole black power ethos/fist is like hardies whole identity. That combined with his restaurant and how its run, plus other shit he's said in interviews makes it pretty clear that black activism is on the top of his priority list. He's kinda killing it on that front tbh, really no reason to think "king" isnt a direct nod to those values.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 984
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2022, 07:51:07 AM »
why is that lego king so frowny

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2022, 07:52:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Graphic looks like a thank you or blind or Walmart graphic.  Name is wack. Numbers iphone background graphic may be better. Also is there a direction with this company? I mean dudes on slap assigning a direction but has TJ himself said anything to go along with the direction of a pro black company and stuff that slap is claiming?  If tj said it cool but if he didn’t your just creating a narrative that isn’t there
[close]

No statement from Tyshawn, but come on man, that's a fairly safe assumption to make if you know much about him. The whole black power ethos/fist is like hardies whole identity. That combined with his restaurant and how its run, plus other shit he's said in interviews makes it pretty clear that black activism is on the top of his priority list. He's kinda killing it on that front tbh, really no reason to think "king" isnt a direct nod to those values.

Man if that’s the case it would be cool if he commissioned black artist to do the drops. They may can save this dumpster fire with good art.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2022, 07:53:51 AM »
This brand identity is not sjw safe. I wonder if people get triggered.

What are you even talking about?

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2022, 07:56:17 AM »
Its giving  cannabis brand vibes lmao

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2549
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2022, 07:57:21 AM »
Yea logo sucks branding and design is looking sus but footage will be good. Primitive is a corny brand with amazing skaters and videos so that’s what I’ll hope for. More TJ footage with less Strobeck zoom is a win at the end of the day.

Yeah this was my first thought as well. Bottom line, we already know that top skater =/= top design. Was anyone even expecting to be blown away by the art direction?
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2022, 08:00:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I hoped there will be some graphics based on royals like Henry VIII, Louis XIV, or Charles the great

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2022, 08:03:55 AM »
Came here to roast the shit out of the logo just to find you guys are hours ahead and 4 pages deep, so bummed lol.

Anyways the name and logo reminds me of an off-brand condom company. Like the type of shit you use on a chick from Philadelphia. Should’ve just made Hardies a board company to channel ‘peak Muska’ vibes, but with better money management.

Honestly the name isn’t terrible, as skate branding is literally just random nouns. But they gotta rework that logo and link up with a better artist. Can’t be the same person that did Hardies.

Edit: Also a black empowerment board company would at least make for an interesting art direction. Better than Dill’s Tarantino-esque infatuation of black culture with his FA graphics, or Alex Olson pretending to be gay for a couple years.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 08:12:52 AM by Lenny the Fatface »

Chris

• Rep: 9
« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2022, 08:04:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
name it whatever, brand it however, I only pray the dimensions are similar to what he was skating on FA
[close]

Agreed. Dont think anyone has mentioned how the board looks very similair to FA shape. Steep kicks and phat nose as they say.

*Edit by 'they' I mean people who describe FA boards as having "steep kicks and phat nose"
[close]
So you guys just want a product that is already available but with shittier graphics printed on them?
[close]

Speaking for myself, but to support TJ, yea thats the point.  This is like asking why support your local.

If my local carried King skateboards and I knew it was a familiar shape id choose that over FA. I would not order one from a website tho. at this point I would prefer the crown over a class photo of Beatrice.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2022, 08:14:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Yea logo sucks branding and design is looking sus but footage will be good. Primitive is a corny brand with amazing skaters and videos so that’s what I’ll hope for. More TJ footage with less Strobeck zoom is a win at the end of the day.
[close]

Yeah this was my first thought as well. Bottom line, we already know that top skater =/= top design. Was anyone even expecting to be blown away by the art direction?

No but come on lol. Maybe their first drop has better stuff but this is just clip art.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2022, 08:14:42 AM »

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2022, 08:15:51 AM »
A) This is just one logo. Who the hell knows what else they have planned? Calling it a "dumpster fire" after seeing a single screenshot of an Instagram post is ridiculous.

B) You might have noticed that a lot of the highly paid, top-level pros have started their own board brands, and I don't think this is because they all dream of being the next Dill or PRod and controlling a huge swatch of the industry. Owning a company which loses money or barely breaks even is a time tested way for wealthy people to shelter their income from taxes. Tyshawn is involved with a restaurant and house flipping (another amazing tax scam), and this could very easily be just that. I don't mean to imply this in a nefarious way, it's just what a lot of high earners do.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2022, 08:17:42 AM »
The only way I could see King skateboards being a good brand is if, Basquiat was still alive and willing to make skateboard graphics.

As said before, this is gonna be a Numbers 2.0. Hoping the boards with the crown are just samples but I have a feeling they aren’t.

Look at Primitive. Not my favorite graphics but I think
it was a smart play to make them all gold. Caught a lot peoples eye. Plus, I think they had the clothing thing going. Would have been smart to just expand the Hardies brand as I think someone else said.

Hope it works out as I like Tyshawn and Zach’s skating.
The chillest1

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2022, 08:19:08 AM »
A) This is just one logo. Who the hell knows what else they have planned? Calling it a "dumpster fire" after seeing a single screenshot of an Instagram post is ridiculous.

B) You might have noticed that a lot of the highly paid, top-level pros have started their own board brands, and I don't think this is because they all dream of being the next Dill or PRod and controlling a huge swatch of the industry. Owning a company which loses money or barely breaks even is a time tested way for wealthy people to shelter their income from taxes. Tyshawn is involved with a restaurant and house flipping (another amazing tax scam), and this could very easily be just that. I don't mean to imply this in a nefarious way, it's just what a lot of high earners do.

good points and C) board companies probably pay absolutely jack shit so it's almost like... why not

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2022, 08:19:55 AM »

I agree that you have to see a product drop before calling it a dumpster fire, but it is a weak logo.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2022, 08:26:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

good points and C) board companies probably pay absolutely jack shit so it's almost like... why not

True, I didn't really even think that, cynically preferring everything to be an elaborate tax shelter. A few years ago, a shop owner told me that the only people making real money from decks sales were Nora and Andy Anderson. The days of $10,000/m checks are decades gone and they are never coming back. Most pros aren't this lucky, but if you've got a large, engaged fanbase on social media, you can probably make more money selling direct than you can being engaged with a brand.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 79
« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2022, 08:43:21 AM »
say what you will about the name but let's remember, Tyshawn and Nak are coming from a brand named "Fucking Awesome" so in all fairness, "King" is a pretty solid step up from that imo

logo needs work tho lol

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2022, 08:46:39 AM »
Would buy a dumpster fire deck. Who's on team?

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -600
  • who knows
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2022, 08:52:01 AM »
That 360 flip is insane.  SOTY shit.

I hope it has nothing to do with us calling each other kings and queens.  That's the dumbest shit and im embarrassed everytime it happens. 

"We used to be kings and queens".

Like nah, we were 99.998% warring tribes and oppressed fuedal states 🥴🤡.

Logo looks bad but i think thats what they are going for
where is home?

Joasmom

• Rep: 2
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2022, 08:52:41 AM »
My son would love these! Does anyone know which kmart in Ohio are stocking them?

Will they be doing any paid promotion? I’m sure he would do a nice review on his YouTube channel.