Author Topic: Tyshawn and Nakel’s board brand is called King skateboards  (Read 165409 times)

svenfuck cowboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: Tyshawn and Nakel’s board brand is called King skateboards
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2022, 09:03:56 AM »
are they rushing the release of their company so TJ can gun for SOTY this year? that's the only way i can justify the graphic design choices being made here - hopefully they rework the logo/graphics/everything

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2022, 09:06:43 AM »
is it possible that the sw ollie table controversey and the bad logo prevent him from winning SOTY?

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2022, 09:07:29 AM »
Was listening to this when i found out about his company

Rune Spliffberg

• Rep: 107
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2022, 09:08:04 AM »
the logo is a 3-pointed crown so that it can be combined with adidas's logo much the same way they have done with mark gonzales's shmoo character

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 424
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2022, 09:15:44 AM »
Short king summer, baby.

"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2022, 09:22:21 AM »
are they rushing the release of their company so TJ can gun for SOTY this year? that's the only way i can justify the graphic design choices being made here - hopefully they rework the logo/graphics/everything

No. In a recent interview he said he wanted his video to have been released back in June/July but Thrasher made him wait to put it out. He also said he doesn’t care about being SOTY and they should give it to someone who just did one trick that stands out over people who release multiple parts just to flood the footage…

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2022, 09:24:10 AM »
the logo is a 3-pointed crown so that it can be combined with adidas's logo much the same way they have done with mark gonzales's shmoo character

Deep thoughts brought to you by Rune Spliffberg  ;D

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2022, 09:25:13 AM »
All I care about is if Zach Saraceno blows the fuck up. That kid is so fucking good.  If TJ picked him to be one of the pros that has to say something.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2022, 09:32:03 AM »
As usual I'm not sure who's trolling and who's ignorant, so I'll just leave this article here for people who don't get why a black man would name his company King.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soloish/wp/2018/05/11/why-i-call-my-male-friends-king/

It's not my place to judge the name choice, but there's definitely a whole lot more thought and meaning behind it than some people might think.

Doesn't literally every tictok and whatever else kid these days call one another "king" literally constantly? It's a trendy word, even if it's possible to give it meaning too.

Would have been MUCH MORE interesting if he named his company Queen.

edit: has anyone asked Puleo his thoughts on this? Seems important!

Punished Skateboards

• Rep: 61
« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2022, 09:40:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No. In a recent interview he said he wanted his video to have been released back in June/July but Thrasher made him wait to put it out. He also said he doesn’t care about being SOTY and they should give it to someone who just did one trick that stands out over people who release multiple parts just to flood the footage…

That’s what I’m talking about

mindfuzz

• Rep: 35
« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2022, 09:40:58 AM »
In terms of branding and direction, I hope this project exceeds our expectations. I'm not so certain though. The logo on the website is like, a blown up jpg. It looks like the logo was a stroke/outline graphic in AI, pasted into PSD as pixels, scaled up using the cursor tool, then filled in with the paint can. Should have exported as SVG my dood.

It looks like someone's high school project where they made up a skate company for a class learning to use the adobe creative suite.

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2022, 09:48:25 AM »
Expand Quote
As usual I'm not sure who's trolling and who's ignorant, so I'll just leave this article here for people who don't get why a black man would name his company King.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soloish/wp/2018/05/11/why-i-call-my-male-friends-king/

It's not my place to judge the name choice, but there's definitely a whole lot more thought and meaning behind it than some people might think.
[close]

Doesn't literally every tictok and whatever else kid these days call one another "king" literally constantly? It's a trendy word, even if it's possible to give it meaning too.

3 points to the crown, 3 stripes in adidas. 33. jesus was 33 when he was crucified. there are 33 steps in the double helix staircase that appeared in the loretto chapel in santa fe new mexico that defied all logic, made out of a type of pine that isn’t known to man. the wood these boards will be made out of came from the heavens and will defy the the physics of gravity as we know it.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2022, 09:50:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

3 points to the crown, 3 stripes in adidas. 33. jesus was 33 when he was crucified. there are 33 steps in the double helix staircase that appeared in the loretto chapel in santa fe new mexico that defied all logic, made out of a type of pine that isn’t known to man. the wood these boards will be made out of came from the heavens and will defy the the physics of gravity as we know it.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckin' knew it man fuck

As an addendum: I feel like logo design is less important than concept, and the concept behind this name is quite honestly so boring.

Surprise us Tyshawn!

I bet if you asked 10,000 skaters what they thought Tyshawn would name his company, 9,437 of them would be like, "Ah man he should name it 'King' that would be so rad."

What a snooze-fest.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2022, 09:52:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think hes timing it with black panter trend ...Queen is forever Freddy Mercury's

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2022, 09:56:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think hes timing it with black panter trend ...Queen is forever Freddy Mercury's

Fair.

What about Sassy Skateboards?

CAPTAIN NOBODY

« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2022, 10:05:44 AM »
Still a better name than Heroin Skateboards

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2022, 10:17:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No idea, I'm not on social media. Would definitely not be the first nor the last time that a term which carries a specific meaning in the black community, or any minority community for that matter, gets appropriated.

100% agree, that would have been awesome.
I'm not saying King a good or even a well thought-out name, just that there is an obvious connotation to it.

The validity of the origin story of that term is something else entirely, and afaik it's very much debated in black communities if the term should be used in that context at all, as @tyroneshoelace 's post indicates.
I'm not black and by no means an expert in the matter, just a linguist. I'm not here to discuss the merits of the term, just wanted to make people who didn't know about it aware of it.

Edit: fixed quote
Edit 2: spelling
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 10:35:54 AM by scab »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2022, 10:25:15 AM »
@scab that's a measured and thoughtful response and I find that rad.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2022, 10:27:52 AM »
Maybe he saw how well Monarch was doing and he wanted in
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

dannyprovolone

« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2022, 10:32:10 AM »

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2022, 10:39:01 AM »
What is a Hardee?

lesghettah

• Rep: -15
« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2022, 10:46:04 AM »
Man what a horrible move, I’d be so embarrassed to show this to people.

MisterX

• Rep: 50
« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2022, 10:53:54 AM »
I know Tyshawn is form New York, so I thought oh maybe he called it King because he was born in Queens on some King of Queens shit.  I googled his name and saw on Wikipedia he isn't born in Queens, but in the first paragraph I saw this

"Jones was a fan of Lizard King in his early days and part of a photo op featuring Lizard King followed by "thousands" of other skaters"

No matter what he says, I am just going to pretend this brand is named after his love to for Lizard King.  Also, if you go to the King website the logo is all blown up and pixelated.  I can't wait to see what amazing innovations this premium brand of elite athletes brings to the game. 

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2022, 10:55:33 AM »
A board brand no longer deferred

GetItStraitRideKrooked

• Rep: 15
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2022, 11:08:17 AM »
Was listening to this when i found out about his company

King Tubby is the shit, love me some dub. Dude basically created the foundation of edm with reggae in the 60s

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2022, 11:11:34 AM »
Name is fine but launching with just a logo is kind of a miss. Seems like you'd want to have the graphics a bit more fleshed out.
But if April can survive with just a boring ass font then I guess this is ahead of the game.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2022, 11:11:42 AM »

• Rep: 99
  • Fully Flared! coming November 16th 2007
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2022, 11:12:19 AM »
looks like one of those skate 3 team logos you gotta pick in game
can't find it but I remember hearing tyshawn's intro to professional skating was playing the first EA skate game

Mall Grab Mike

• Rep: -9
« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2022, 11:12:37 AM »
Damn, Chris Gentry is pissed.

boogs

« Reply #149 on: November 10, 2022, 11:16:53 AM »
Queen is the sister company’s name