Author Topic: Tyshawn and Nakel’s board brand is called King skateboards  (Read 165009 times)

No Wave Comply

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 134
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
Re: Tyshawn and Nakel’s board brand is called King skateboards
« Reply #600 on: December 20, 2022, 12:30:24 PM »
So the launch of this company is based purely around Tyshawn's SOTY push? 2 boards and a 2 minute video? No real introduction to a team, no boards available in shops, I don't know, maybe because I think Limosine's roll out was so successful and almost set a blueprint for all new companies in a sense, this just feels like a letdown.

The site is also kinda bare bones. No soft goods, no stickers or merch, no information on the (two) decks other than width (no other dimensions, woodshop, printing details, etc.), no team hype… it all just seems really cheap and lacks a concept other than "Tyshawn has his own skateboards." I was expecting them to lean really hard into the whole "King" thing as in all black men going for theirs are kings. This just seems incomplete.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #601 on: January 14, 2023, 07:17:50 PM »
Expand Quote
So the launch of this company is based purely around Tyshawn's SOTY push? 2 boards and a 2 minute video? No real introduction to a team, no boards available in shops, I don't know, maybe because I think Limosine's roll out was so successful and almost set a blueprint for all new companies in a sense, this just feels like a letdown.
[close]

The site is also kinda bare bones. No soft goods, no stickers or merch, no information on the (two) decks other than width (no other dimensions, woodshop, printing details, etc.), no team hype… it all just seems really cheap and lacks a concept other than "Tyshawn has his own skateboards." I was expecting them to lean really hard into the whole "King" thing as in all black men going for theirs are kings. This just seems incomplete.

Just an update on this, he posted a story earlier asking 'if u nice @ mocking graphics up and making tech packs @greekyoghurt_ dm ASAP !'

Kind of amazing he doesn't have somebody in his orbit he can reach out and get some help, he should be able to text or call anyone and get the help he needs, or be able to push him into the right direction at the very least , asking on Instagram just seems very, I don't know, but this isn't what I was expecting considering why he quit FA.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #602 on: January 14, 2023, 08:47:18 PM »
I remember when I was called a racist for saying he isn't some sort of massively successful entrepreneur and that it wasn't guaranteed his brand would be successful. "Hate to say Atodaso, but Atodaso". Possibly one of the weakest brand launches I can remember. They should have been well prepared for him getting SOTY and had a ton of product to cash in with.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #603 on: January 15, 2023, 12:11:23 AM »
I didn't read all the thread

Did anyone say they should copy a fucking awesome board and just black out everything else except king

Like those black lines they put over people's eyes in dirty pictures
listen to cosmic psychos

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #604 on: January 15, 2023, 05:34:09 AM »
I didn't read all the thread

Did anyone say they should copy a fucking awesome board and just black out everything else except king

Like those black lines they put over people's eyes in dirty pictures

That woulda been sick.  You should @greekyogurt and tell em your an idea man, they’ll get at you if they know what’s good.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #605 on: January 15, 2023, 10:17:28 AM »
Pretty solid stab of an idea for a graphic, Matty.
Props to you, mate.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

slimvanilla

« Reply #606 on: January 22, 2023, 10:15:02 AM »
any chance KB jumps ship from FA to join his boys at King? just posted an IG pic of Nak to then tag kingskateboards. no way FA is chill w him promoting these guys' new company right?

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1223
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #607 on: January 22, 2023, 01:36:50 PM »
any chance KB jumps ship from FA to join his boys at King? just posted an IG pic of Nak to then tag kingskateboards. no way FA is chill w him promoting these guys' new company right?
not on ig but hearing this is wild. Ain’t no way tj would be okay paying him to do nothing. Kb fumbling left and right

Plus he was just on tour with fa

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #608 on: January 22, 2023, 02:57:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Just an update on this, he posted a story earlier asking 'if u nice @ mocking graphics up and making tech packs @greekyoghurt_ dm ASAP !'

Kind of amazing he doesn't have somebody in his orbit he can reach out and get some help, he should be able to text or call anyone and get the help he needs, or be able to push him into the right direction at the very least , asking on Instagram just seems very, I don't know, but this isn't what I was expecting considering why he quit FA.

It is kinda weird. You’d think if you’re starting a brand you’d have at the very least a designer you’re working with. But I guess that explains the free logo creator crown they’re running with. I just don’t get it though, he runs Hardies and I like the branding they have going on there. You’d think some of that team would be involved in this brand.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -437
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #609 on: January 22, 2023, 03:19:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It is kinda weird. You’d think if you’re starting a brand you’d have at the very least a designer you’re working with. But I guess that explains the free logo creator crown they’re running with. I just don’t get it though, he runs Hardies and I like the branding they have going on there. You’d think some of that team would be involved in this brand.
Hardies has cool t shirts but c’mon man, the logo is literally a fist dildo. Every time I see it it’s all I think about. I can’t be alone on this

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #610 on: January 22, 2023, 03:44:21 PM »
Skater run companies need a business dude as a partner cos skaters just wanna skate and say ‘yeah dude that’s sick’ and put their board on socials. They do t wanna be bored with the nuts and bolts of keeping a business afloat.

Phao Lo

• Rep: 54
« Reply #611 on: January 22, 2023, 07:04:03 PM »

slimvanilla

« Reply #612 on: January 22, 2023, 08:19:44 PM »

lets hope it's better than their first couple graphics lol. this first run of boards can really make or break the brand.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #613 on: January 22, 2023, 10:10:09 PM »
This seems like a terrible time to be starting a skateboard company but I’m sure these entrepreneurial masterminds know what they are doing.

switchfakie

« Reply #614 on: January 23, 2023, 05:34:13 AM »

no way, kb is getting paid to do nothing, why would he leave that my g

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #615 on: January 23, 2023, 06:01:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Didn't Tyshawn throw shad about people on the team not skating? Can't see KB on King. lol

IpathCats

« Reply #616 on: January 23, 2023, 06:06:09 AM »
I legit forgot about King skateboards as soon as it left the front page of UWTB

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #617 on: January 23, 2023, 06:47:02 AM »
This shit its worse than BA's 3D adventure; at least those stupid skatemental 2.0 graphics were well done  ;D

Expand Quote
[close]

exactly

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #618 on: January 23, 2023, 07:18:41 AM »
Skater run companies need a business dude as a partner cos skaters just wanna skate and say ‘yeah dude that’s sick’ and put their board on socials. They do t wanna be bored with the nuts and bolts of keeping a business afloat.

they need that paul rodriguez touch

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
  • ow

dill8849

• Rep: -41

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #621 on: January 23, 2023, 08:24:35 AM »
I legit forgot about King skateboards as soon as it left the front page of UWTB

to be fair, I guess most of SLAP isnt their targeted demographic

warmonke

• Rep: 43

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #623 on: January 23, 2023, 08:38:47 AM »
Nak’s first graphic is up
https://www.kingskateboards.com/products/nakel-universal-flag-deck

So weird that when you feed a couple of KIDS egos non stop, you’d get this type of low effort megalomaniac shit.  I mean, who could have seen this coming, shocking. 

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #624 on: January 23, 2023, 08:43:40 AM »
so its just straight up 5-percent nation skateboards?

WPG

• Rep: -2
« Reply #625 on: January 23, 2023, 08:45:16 AM »
Through my minimal research of 5% nation I can conclude that NaKel is a bad choice to represent all Black people as God's with superior knowledge of the universe
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 404
« Reply #626 on: January 23, 2023, 08:58:26 AM »
While there's plenty to discuss here, Na-Kel's real full name is Na-Kel Allah Smith. Do with that as you will.

dropintopileout

• Rep: -39
« Reply #627 on: January 23, 2023, 08:59:25 AM »
I saw in an interview Tyshawn mentioned he likes reading books about money and success. I have a feeling there was a chapter about branding that grossly over simplified the process of creating a brand. Like the book was under the assumption that it was be some average joe shmuck starting a small business in their hometown. Simple name and instantly readable visual icon that is appealing to the masses. Tyshawn didn't factor in that he has to appeal to a niche market, not the average citizen.

Just seems like there is not real game plan here, sad to see. The 1970s looking KING that was on the website before it launched looked very promising like maybe he'd use 70s NYC imagery or something, but this shit is so fucking bland, yeesh.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #628 on: January 23, 2023, 09:04:39 AM »
i wish it was just hardies skateboards wit the screw logo idk

backfliptofiftyfifty

• Rep: -139
  • commitment issues (in life and skating)
« Reply #629 on: January 23, 2023, 09:18:25 AM »
i wish it was just hardies skateboards wit the screw logo idk

this. hardies is a sick logo and brand. or like someone else mentioned. itd be cool if tyshawn went for a golden age hip-hop/70s new york vibe like he did in his general part. it would work perfect for tyshawn