Author Topic: Tyshawn and Nakel’s board brand is called King skateboards  (Read 163859 times)

Sizzle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Tyshawn and Nakel’s board brand is called King skateboards
« Reply #630 on: January 23, 2023, 09:19:45 AM »
Expand Quote
i wish it was just hardies skateboards wit the screw logo idk
[close]

this. hardies is a sick logo and brand. or like someone else mentioned. itd be cool if tyshawn went for a golden age hip-hop/70s new york vibe like he did in his general part. it would work perfect for tyshawn

So I’m really the only one who thinks it looks like a sex toy?

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #632 on: January 23, 2023, 09:40:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

this. hardies is a sick logo and brand. or like someone else mentioned. itd be cool if tyshawn went for a golden age hip-hop/70s new york vibe like he did in his general part. it would work perfect for tyshawn
[close]

The problem is they'd have to drop their team because of brand confusion, like when Diamond started making shoes and most of their hardware team had other shoe sponsors.

IpathCats

« Reply #633 on: January 23, 2023, 09:51:49 AM »
Nak’s first graphic is up
https://www.kingskateboards.com/products/nakel-universal-flag-deck

This shit is so wack on so many different levels. Leaving out my general distaste for religion, the ego it takes to make something like this is insane.

Expand Quote
I legit forgot about King skateboards as soon as it left the front page of UWTB
[close]

to be fair, I guess most of SLAP isnt their targeted demographic

thats fair

slimvanilla

« Reply #634 on: January 23, 2023, 09:57:21 AM »
Nak's graphic is trash. I was at Babylon in LA this summer before it shut down and I saw him holding that board telling Ish Cepeda about the brand n shit. Can't believe they didn't change a thing about that graphic. Looks like some shit I could cook up in photoshop in 10 mins

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1306
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #635 on: January 23, 2023, 10:03:20 AM »
Nak's graphic is trash. I was at Babylon in LA this summer before it shut down and I saw him holding that board telling Ish Cepeda about the brand n shit. Can't believe they didn't change a thing about that graphic. Looks like some shit I could cook up in photoshop in 10 mins
Oh sick Babylon is gone already. Good thing they got Lotties out of the way so they could flame out in less than a year?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 133
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #636 on: January 23, 2023, 11:06:53 AM »
Nak’s first graphic is up
https://www.kingskateboards.com/products/nakel-universal-flag-deck

Subtle.  ::)

I can appreciate the idea, but the execution is so fucking budget. Damn. Like "C+ in community college Intro to Adobe Illustrator class" budget.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 133
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #637 on: January 23, 2023, 11:17:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nope, you're not the only one.

I personally think the Hardies logo/branding, while better than this King shit, is still really awful. Especially since it's named after a car/whatever-spotting game, which we called "Slug Bug" when I was a teen (and I've come across variations since then, like Padiddle, one that centered around abandoned shopping carts, etc.). It really is a dumb name that just seems kinda cool because it can double as the Black Power salute. The actual hardware doesn't bother me though and the film canister packaging is nice.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #638 on: January 23, 2023, 11:20:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I personally think the Hardies logo/branding, while better than this King shit, is still really awful. Especially since it's named after a car/whatever-spotting game, which we called "Slug Bug" when I was a teen (and I've come across variations since then, like Padiddle, one that centered around abandoned shopping carts, etc.). It really is a dumb name that just seems kinda cool because it can double as the Black Power salute. The actual hardware doesn't bother me though and the film canister packaging is nice.
Oh damn I didn't realize it was just Punch Buggy. Padiddle is the one headlight version, at least it was in the 60s.

The elephant in the room is that it's also the name of Carl's Jrs in a bunch of different markets but I always thought that was kinda sick that they just went with it anyway.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #639 on: January 23, 2023, 12:25:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Oh sick Babylon is gone already. Good thing they got Lotties out of the way so they could flame out in less than a year?
Neighbors is the skate shop that got Nakel to get rid of Lotties.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #640 on: January 23, 2023, 12:29:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Haha that leather nun song rules

I give “King” 2 years tops.  Really bleak product. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

IpathCats

« Reply #641 on: January 23, 2023, 12:31:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

lol damn, that's wack too. seeing a trend forming around Nak

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #642 on: January 23, 2023, 12:51:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Does it?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3325
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #643 on: January 23, 2023, 12:54:37 PM »
Has he done a board that says, "Na-Kel for your thots" on it?

Rune Spliffberg

• Rep: 99
« Reply #644 on: January 23, 2023, 01:50:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Here's a little tip that will help you out in the future when you're fisting someone for the first time. Thumb always goes on the inside. Hardies Hardware logo is an obvious reference to the raised fist salute:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raised_fist#:~:text=At%20the%201968%20Summer%20Olympics%20in%20Mexico%20City%2C%20medal%20winners,Olympic%20Project%20for%20Human%20Rights.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #645 on: January 23, 2023, 01:54:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Neighbors is the skate shop that got Nakel to get rid of Lotties.

Not to dredge up old recepits but Babylon was initially directly involved in the beef. Nak big upping Neighbors was a pivot later in the story.
Lotties can kiss my ass. One of the owners of Babylon is black and the owner of lotties got the nerve to dislike his shop that’s in a black neighborhood after the fact that Babylon tried to be coo with lotties. & note… the owner of lotties it’s note for the skate community, how you gone tell the Lil kids from
Your shop not to go to Babylon. Kinda Lil kid shit is that.. Fuck that racist mike lotties !! Get ya bread up and stop worrying bout the next mutha fuckas old man…

conan777

• Rep: -52
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #646 on: January 23, 2023, 02:00:35 PM »
Everything about this so far is comically bad. No surprises though, they don't seem like the smartest cookies. Compare this to Paul with Primitive or even Shane with April and see the difference

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #648 on: January 23, 2023, 04:14:47 PM »
Another swing and a miss for king with that wack ass graphic.

SwitchNollieHeel

• Rep: -6
« Reply #649 on: January 23, 2023, 05:34:35 PM »
The new tre Williams pro graphic screams king more than anything that’s dropped thus far

Everything about this so far is comically bad. No surprises though, they don't seem like the smartest cookies. Compare this to Paul with Primitive or even Shane with April and see the difference

ShitNuts

• Rep: -2
« Reply #650 on: January 23, 2023, 06:05:37 PM »
This board seems like a magnet for weird religious fruitcakes hitting you up. Can't wait for clueless mfers riding this to get schooled out in public.

ghost of barry white

• Rep: 1
« Reply #651 on: January 23, 2023, 06:23:16 PM »
A little shocking that King gets so much hate, but companies like Frog or All timers (who have equally if not worse graphics) get so much praise. I wonder what the difference is here...

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #652 on: January 23, 2023, 06:34:10 PM »
A little shocking that King gets so much hate, but companies like Frog or All timers (who have equally if not worse graphics) get so much praise. I wonder what the difference is here...
Frog’s graphics are on purpose. He had a vision. Which TJ doesn’t seem to have.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #653 on: January 23, 2023, 06:36:23 PM »

Frog and alltimers are bad on purpose "ironically" where as king is bad on purpose because the guys on it have unchecked egos and no idea what they're doing. Or it could be the forum that champions for minorities and other liberal values just suddenly decided to hate black people like you seem to be implying.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #654 on: January 23, 2023, 06:49:04 PM »
Makes me think of the RZA verse in careful

Wait, hold up, chill, what's that, son?
Damn nigga got fucked, shit, huh?!
Bob’s back, watch nigga run
Seven in the center of the eight point Sun
Hold tight grip on the God-U now, you best be careful!
Can't dodge two self he’s aimed at your dome piece
Father-U-C-King police!

But yeah pretty weak stuff from them so far, should’ve just made Hardies a board company.

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #655 on: January 23, 2023, 08:42:24 PM »
The brand is shit so far but TJ's not stupid. After seeing the negative reception he'll probably try to turn it around by hiring an art department and people who actually know what they're doing. Putting out a sick video will definitely help the brand. Either way, I don't care if they succeed or not. I'm not a fan of any of these dudes and would never support them. Especially Nak.

BL0B

• Rep: 414

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #657 on: January 23, 2023, 08:53:43 PM »
Got roasted by my buds when I said this company is gonna be really low effort and fueled mostly by the two big names’ egos and sense of entitlement to skater’s money. They’ve all been really quiet since the graphics come out.

Really surprised they haven’t even started selling t shirts or anything besides the decks. Seems like every no name has a hobby t shirt brand these days. Much bigger margins too.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #658 on: January 23, 2023, 08:56:56 PM »
Has any collab or anything Nak has had his name on that wasn't an FA deck sold well? I remember all his Adidas shit being heinous and going on close out soon after release.

This company's image is like 2 teenagers in 1999 finding out about the Illuminati on a Geocities page and "tagging" symbols on their book covers during English class.

livin on a speyer