Author Topic: Tyshawn and Nakel’s board brand is called King skateboards  (Read 165057 times)

HASHZOOT, miff, LUGR, WPG (+ 1 Hidden) and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

BigMurf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Re: Tyshawn and Nakel’s board brand is called King skateboards
« Reply #1440 on: June 23, 2023, 06:32:13 AM »
Expand Quote
This does make me wonder how long King will be around I’d have to imagine they fucked up a big bag not putting the logo on shirts idk who would wanna walk around with that corpo ass logo but some people like this enough for decks to sell out. Either that or Tyshawn is forcing all his restaurant employees to buy the boards themselves.
[close]

Even worse he's paying his employees in King decks.

True sigma grindset

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1441 on: June 23, 2023, 06:36:05 AM »
So is this shaping up to be an Illegal Civ video without Ishod and Zion?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1442 on: June 23, 2023, 07:18:10 AM »
Expand Quote
On second thought, this might seem like putting the cart before the horse, but I believe Tyshawn has a lot of "The Power of Positive Thinking" and "The Secret" energy in him, and this is another attempt to manifest his destiny as great and powerful individual.
[close]
yes tyshawn is totally a woo/self-help book kind of guy, i remember he posted a photo of “rich dad poor dad” on his ig stories and people on #skatetwitter were like noooo, tyshawn nooooooo!

Wait, people actually hate that book? It’s a book on investing and financial literacy.

Can’t knock a guy from Soundview Bronx trying to make the most of the opportunity he’s got. Soundview isn’t Williamsburg or Bushwick with the new residents getting subsidized by their parents in some other state.

Disappointing that skaters are quick to jump on a black owned company just starting out, saying it’s half-assed.

2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #1443 on: June 23, 2023, 07:24:47 AM »
but it is half assed.  objectively. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1444 on: June 23, 2023, 07:34:06 AM »

Half assed or just limited starting budget? It’s not like there’s a Pendleton/Hecox/Cliver/McKee on retainer for art direction.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #1445 on: June 23, 2023, 07:55:56 AM »
Self help books are tight, connecting with your inner is like connecting with your board. Not sure about the financial ones but
A good entry point is you are a badass, shit is mad funny and will make you feel good
Skate twitter dudes are probably on some inner turmoil, kyle beachy shit, like let’s talk this out when they should skate and get into the body more and out of the brain

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -484
« Reply #1446 on: June 23, 2023, 08:24:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Half assed or just limited starting budget? It’s not like there’s a Pendleton/Hecox/Cliver/McKee on retainer for art direction.

Tyshawn has a high end suv in a city known for it public transport , a restaurant and a gang of expensive dogs. I think he can afford a couple grand on some art.

this brand is literally using public domain art and by the looks of it like zero overhead . They’re spending almost zero money to even have a brand, that’s not low budget that’s just being cheap.

King skateboards is essentially a drop shipping brand.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1447 on: June 23, 2023, 08:25:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
well, that's exactly why it's half assed. tyshawn has the funds to renovate houses and open a restaurant and buy nice cars, i have a very hard time imagining he doesn't have the money to put into this brand as much as he doesn't think he needs to put the money into the brand (not to mention he has no real ideas or vision for this brand on a grand scale)

The decks I’ve seen in shops look good, especially the King of Pop one.

Violet, FA, Hockey, and even Quasi follow the same formula art wise. Even Frog gets love and we’ve all seen their graphics…

Renovating houses isn’t cheap, especially properties in New York.

The tax man gets most of your gross revenue, double or triple that in NY.

A skateboard company doesn’t bring in much in terms of hardgoods, though the starting costs are low. Board sponsors never paid much. How King scales in terms of softgoods is TBD.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #1448 on: June 23, 2023, 08:29:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
well, that's exactly why it's half assed. tyshawn has the funds to renovate houses and open a restaurant and buy nice cars, i have a very hard time imagining he doesn't have the money to put into this brand as much as he doesn't think he needs to put the money into the brand (not to mention he has no real ideas or vision for this brand on a grand scale)
[close]

Violet, FA, Hockey, and even Quasi follow the same formula art wise. Even Frog gets love and we’ve all seen their graphics…

A skateboard company doesn’t bring in much in terms of hardgoods, though the starting costs are low. Board sponsors never paid much. How King scales in terms of softgoods is TBD.

What?

Are you compus mentis?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1449 on: June 23, 2023, 08:31:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

What?

Are you compus mentis?

I am, actually.

I also buy a lot of Quasi decks.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #1450 on: June 23, 2023, 08:34:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

What?

Are you compus mentis?
[close]

I am, actually.

It's an interesting opinion. I'll give you that much.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Warmup

• Rep: -16
« Reply #1451 on: June 23, 2023, 09:01:28 AM »
rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #1452 on: June 23, 2023, 10:37:53 AM »
Expand Quote
On second thought, this might seem like putting the cart before the horse, but I believe Tyshawn has a lot of "The Power of Positive Thinking" and "The Secret" energy in him, and this is another attempt to manifest his destiny as great and powerful individual.
[close]
yes tyshawn is totally a woo/self-help book kind of guy, i remember he posted a photo of “rich dad poor dad” on his ig stories and people on #skatetwitter were like noooo, tyshawn nooooooo!

lmao. There's no skateboarding demographic more annoying to me than the "skater who went to college". We all know the type.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #1453 on: June 23, 2023, 10:45:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

What?

Are you compus mentis?
[close]

I am, actually.

Quasi? Your tripping bro. You obviously DONT by a lot of Quasi decks. OR, you have never seen the other ones.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #1454 on: June 23, 2023, 10:57:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do we really think that there are no talented, eager young graphic designers in New York who could put some kind of direction into King's product for a low price and the chance to work with a two-time SOTY winner and fixture of adidas? That his only option is to pull images from Wikipedia?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

WPG

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1455 on: June 23, 2023, 11:02:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Half assed, like lots of stuff he does remember Brick Underneath? Started it at the same time as King (smart thinking real business genius) and their first drop still hasn't sold out https://brickunderneath.com/products/100-boxer

If anything the limited starting budget just shows his lack of awareness and business sense

He suceeded with hardies and his restraunt to an extent (3.8 star reviews are nothing to write home about, but I'm sure in your eyes people haven't given it a fair chance) and assumed he had the Midas touch so the board company would just work out
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #1456 on: June 23, 2023, 11:35:29 AM »
Isnt "zenith" the peak/apex of something?

Implying its all downhill from here?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1457 on: June 23, 2023, 11:54:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

What?

Are you compus mentis?
[close]

I am, actually.

[close]

Quasi? Your tripping bro. You obviously DONT by a lot of Quasi decks. OR, you have never seen the other ones.

Collages, photos, and pics of other people’s art. Even Anti Hero clowned on their collage art.

I love the company to death, but they had to change their name because they couldn’t do due diligence and didn’t file a trademark.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1458 on: June 23, 2023, 11:58:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Half assed, like lots of stuff he does remember Brick Underneath? Started it at the same time as King (smart thinking real business genius) and their first drop still hasn't sold out https://brickunderneath.com/products/100-boxer

If anything the limited starting budget just shows his lack of awareness and business sense

He suceeded with hardies and his restraunt to an extent (3.8 star reviews are nothing to write home about, but I'm sure in your eyes people haven't given it a fair chance) and assumed he had the Midas touch so the board company would just work out

Looks like all he’s got left is an XL in one style of boxer, I couldn’t imagine that the remaining XL constitutes half-assed.

There are trademarks for Brick Underneath and an LLC for King. Both filed a year apart. That doesn’t telegraph half-assed to me.

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #1459 on: June 23, 2023, 12:24:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Looks like all he’s got left is an XL in one style of boxer, I couldn’t imagine that the remaining XL constitutes half-assed.

There are trademarks for Brick Underneath and an LLC for King. Both filed a year apart. That doesn’t telegraph half-assed to me.

if youre XXL that XL might literally be half assed though

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1460 on: June 23, 2023, 12:28:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

if youre XXL that XL might literally be half assed though

Probably 3/4 assed. 😂

veritas

« Reply #1461 on: June 23, 2023, 12:51:38 PM »
Wish he'd develop the company more but id probably prioritize flipping houses too. One house probably turns more profit than a small board brand does in a year

WPG

« Reply #1462 on: June 23, 2023, 02:43:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Personally I'm not up to date with Tyshawns trademarks, that being said idc when he registered for trademarks bricks first ad was in August or September last year and King was announced in October for the general. Taking into account Thrasher prints mags like a month or 2 early let's say June to give them benefit of the doubt. That's still only 4-5 Months between launching the 2 brands. IDGAF when he filed a trademark.

Also big ups to black John D. Rockefeller for ALMOST selling out his boxers in a year's time
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 08:18:40 PM by WPG »
Muska, Chillin Chillin

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1463 on: June 23, 2023, 03:00:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Personally I'm not up to date with Tyshawns trademarks, that being said idc when he registered for trademarks bricks first ad was in August or September last year and King was announced in October for the general. Taking into account Thrasher prints mags like a month or 2 early let's say June to give them benefit of the doubt. That's still only 4-5 Months between launching the 2 brands. IDGAF when he filed a trademark.

Also bug ups to black John D. Rockefeller for ALMOST selling out his boxers in a year's time

Idgaf when he filed a trademark either, but the fact that he did proves it’s not half-assed. He didn’t pull a Mother Collective at the start, he did his due diligence.

The night listener

• Rep: -163
« Reply #1464 on: June 23, 2023, 03:03:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Wait, people actually hate that book? It’s a book on investing and financial literacy.

Can’t knock a guy from Soundview Bronx trying to make the most of the opportunity he’s got. Soundview isn’t Williamsburg or Bushwick with the new residents getting subsidized by their parents in some other state.

Disappointing that skaters are quick to jump on a black owned company just starting out, saying it’s half-assed.
. probably being black owned has nothing do with it

WPG

« Reply #1465 on: June 23, 2023, 03:14:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Also bug ups to black John D. Rockefeller for ALMOST selling out his boxers in a year's time
[close]

Idgaf when he filed a trademark either, but the fact that he did proves it’s not half-assed. He didn’t pull a Mother Collective at the start, he did his due diligence.
oh I see, good point
Muska, Chillin Chillin

Bread Harrity

• Rep: 241
« Reply #1466 on: June 23, 2023, 03:31:34 PM »
Wish he'd develop the company more but id probably prioritize flipping houses too. One house probably turns more profit than a small board brand does in a year

that is definitely true, but then why start a board brand at all?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1467 on: June 23, 2023, 04:23:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

that is definitely true, but then why start a board brand at all?
As a tax write off and a platform that he has complete control of
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

thespacewolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 13
« Reply #1468 on: June 24, 2023, 10:26:18 AM »

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1469 on: June 25, 2023, 09:06:30 AM »

Nothing wrong with promoting Michael Jackson, after all he is the king, amirite.

Puh.