Author Topic: Tyshawn and Nakel’s board brand is called King skateboards  (Read 165540 times)

Chief Grease, bob george and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

apport

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
Re: Tyshawn and Nakel’s board brand is called King skateboards
« Reply #1770 on: December 11, 2023, 01:22:57 AM »
MINDFREAK would be a cool name for a brand, like a semi-ironic spiky graphic type company

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #1771 on: December 11, 2023, 03:59:55 AM »
MINDFREAK would be a cool name for a brand, like a semi-ironic spiky graphic type company

That would be the Mystery to Edgelrd’s Zero

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 108
« Reply #1772 on: December 11, 2023, 04:16:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Caleb Barnett is on, that makes Hockey MUCH better, and King somehow worse LOL
[close]

Where did you hear this

No board in the B2B for Hockey for next drop......I Am pretty sure Hockey does 4 drops a season, and the pros always have boards (Not like FA)....plus he was on the King trip to Cayman Islands....i guess Nak helped him out at the start, but still, be your own man fool...he peaked when he got introduced in hockey 3.

Tyshawns restauraunt has gone out of business, and Kings last drop of product was 6 months ago lol

At least Disorder has a website full of product you can purchase and also seem to be more active in general https://www.instagram.com/disorder/

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1773 on: December 11, 2023, 04:55:49 AM »

Would Criss Angel skate for Violet, Frog, or Glue

Earlier this year I was in the backstage of a Korn show right next to Criss Angel, in Vegas. Mf was fully dripped in Phillip Plein (as he should). True Twilight Zone moment

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 679
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1774 on: December 11, 2023, 05:40:37 AM »

Looks like jr lido is getting boards from em
He is that little kid who skated with Vincent nava for vyzer / 10c41 and he 5050d Hollywood high when he was like 8 or some shit

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #1775 on: December 11, 2023, 06:20:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Where did you hear this
[close]

No board in the B2B for Hockey for next drop......I Am pretty sure Hockey does 4 drops a season, and the pros always have boards (Not like FA)....plus he was on the King trip to Cayman Islands....i guess Nak helped him out at the start, but still, be your own man fool...he peaked when he got introduced in hockey 3.

Tyshawns restauraunt has gone out of business, and Kings last drop of product was 6 months ago lol

At least Disorder has a website full of product you can purchase and also seem to be more active in general https://www.instagram.com/disorder/
Caleb literally had a board come out two weeks ago with the new drop
https://hockeyhomevideo.com/products/caleb-barnett-intro?variant=41069946175585

and he had this one from the previous drop, that i'm actually riding atm
https://hockeyhomevideo.com/products/caleb-barnett-red-ranger?variant=40783972696161
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1776 on: December 11, 2023, 07:27:23 AM »
FWIW i can confirm Caleb has a board on SP24

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #1777 on: December 11, 2023, 07:43:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Where did you hear this
[close]

[close]

https://hockeyhomevideo.com/products/caleb-barnett-red-ranger?variant=40783972696161

Damn, I do love a Ford Ranger. Pretty dope board. Great color combos.

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 45
« Reply #1778 on: December 11, 2023, 08:13:30 AM »

He is that little kid who skated with Vincent nava for vyzer / 10c41 and he 5050d Hollywood high when he was like 8 or some shit

I was asking myself the other day what happened to this kid. Vyzer videos were great.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #1779 on: December 11, 2023, 08:30:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Where did you hear this
[close]

Damn didn’t realize the restaurant went out of business already.

A fool and his money as they say, still sucks though.

I remember just last year when people here were yelling at me about what a good business man he was because he opened that among other things.

Maybe failing a restaurant with his mom working at it was a genius tax write off right? 4D chess and what not.

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -215
« Reply #1780 on: December 11, 2023, 08:45:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Where did you hear this
[close]

[close]

I remember just last year when people here were yelling at me about what a good business man he was because he opened that among other things.

Maybe failing a restaurant with his mom working at it was a genius tax write off right? 4D chess and what not.

i know a guy who is a financial advisor to rich people. he tells every client to NEVER open or invest in a restaurant because the failure rate is astronomical.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1781 on: December 11, 2023, 08:53:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Where did you hear this
[close]

[close]

[close]

i know a guy who is a financial advisor to rich people. he tells every client to NEVER open or invest in a restaurant because the failure rate is astronomical.

Yeah it’s classic athlete blowing money stuff.  Investing in your friend’s restaurant, investing in their clothing line, basically any start up with a person you know.   Hell, Robert DeNiro’s ass was on the line during the pandemic bc of all his restaurant investments

The fact that customers are socially obligated to pay part of the staff’s wages because a restaurant can’t even afford to pay them minimum wage tells you all you need to know about the margins they’re running

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1782 on: December 11, 2023, 09:06:14 AM »
damn
i wanted to see if it tasted so good
rarely in the bronx though
unfortunate
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 679
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1783 on: December 11, 2023, 09:26:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was asking myself the other day what happened to this kid. Vyzer videos were great.

I really liked the middle skool vid but I felt like with Vincent gone it just didn’t hit the same. He was the type of dude to put 120% into every clip. The rest of the guys are decent skaters but not close to pro level. I think they were hoping jr would take the spot of Vincent to carry the brand. They are putting out scooter videos now ffs so I think safe to say they are done

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 108
« Reply #1784 on: December 11, 2023, 10:10:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Where did you hear this
[close]

[close]

I said next drop. Not the one that just came out......there is no Caleb board in the next one, but all the other riders have boards

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1785 on: December 11, 2023, 10:18:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Where did you hear this
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah it’s classic athlete blowing money stuff.  Investing in your friend’s restaurant, investing in their clothing line, basically any start up with a person you know.   Hell, Robert DeNiro’s ass was on the line during the pandemic bc of all his restaurant investments

The fact that customers are socially obligated to pay part of the staff’s wages because a restaurant can’t even afford to pay them minimum wage tells you all you need to know about the margins they’re running

Yeah it seemed like his heart was in the right place wanting to set his mom up with a place, but what where their restaurant owning bone fides?  When people who know a business tell you there are slim margins and it’s difficult, unless it’s Burnett, believe them.

The stock market indexes have gone up 70% since he started that and even gold is up 30%.  His mom coulda been off her feet chilling, and they’d be way up easily instead of way down.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #1786 on: December 11, 2023, 10:55:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Where did you hear this
[close]

A ton of restaurants folded during Covid or couldn't make a comeback,  I almost betting this was the case with tyshawsn restaurant, NY is a hot bed for food and most of them are small business owners, the restaurant was probably doing good before covid. 

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1787 on: December 11, 2023, 11:34:46 AM »
bummed to hear Taste So Good closed. I was kinda stoked to try it the next time I was in NY. I hope Tyshawn was able to navigate that in a way that didn't fuck his money up too much.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1788 on: December 11, 2023, 11:37:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Where did you hear this
[close]

[close]

A ton of restaurants folded during Covid or couldn't make a comeback,  I almost betting this was the case with tyshawsn restaurant, NY is a hot bed for food and most of them are small business owners, the restaurant was probably doing good before covid.

No doubt Covid was hard on restaurants.  I’m sure his mom worked super fucking hard too, they lasted 5 years, no small feat Covid or not.

I was just saying from strictly a money perspective, it was always a bad move if it’s not something that you know a lot about.  I’m afraid that he might find a similar situation in owning a skateboarding brand, you be better off having business education or experience than to be currently actively at the top of your skateboarding career to run a successful brand.

Sure there are success stories, but way more failed brands and similarly to a restaurant, there is no “moat” and a relatively no barrier to entry for competitors in a highly saturated market.

Tyshawn should let someone else invest his earnings unless he has some actual business credentials or acumen that were not privy to.

This talk of him as a entrepreneur in the past, was as I said, premature and unfounded.

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 39
« Reply #1789 on: December 11, 2023, 11:50:16 AM »
Pocket-watching & giving unsolicited business advice or insight on something you have nothing to do with and someone you don't even know is pretty weird.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1790 on: December 11, 2023, 12:06:00 PM »
Pocket-watching & giving unnecessary business advice or insight on something you have nothing to do with and someone you don't even know is pretty weird.

As American as apple pie.

We all know Taylor Swift crossed 1 billion this year and how much Elon is down on his ill advised twitter purchase.

I feel bad for the Tyshawn, but he should listen to someone he pays to “pocket watch” and not his ego. there’s a long list of athletes that could have used lots of people criticizing their investments before the money dried up.

Is it “weird” to see someone making dumb money moves and wish them luck?  That’s weird to me.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 01:21:21 PM by Newphone »

Taraval

• Rep: 28
  • :p
« Reply #1791 on: December 11, 2023, 01:02:43 PM »
[/url]
Expand Quote
Pocket-watching & giving unnecessary business advice or insight on something you have nothing to do with and someone you don't even know is pretty weird.
[close]

As American as apple pie.

We all know Taylor Smith crossed 1 billion this year and how much Elon is down on his ill advised twitter purchase.

I feel bad for the Tyshawn, but he should listen to someone he pays to “pocket watch” and not his ego. there’s a long list of athletes that could have used lots of people criticizing their investments before the money dried up.

Is it “weird” to see someone making dumb money moves and wish them luck?  That’s weird to me.

😶

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1792 on: December 11, 2023, 02:46:20 PM »
 King for a day, fool for a lifetime.

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 49
« Reply #1793 on: December 11, 2023, 02:55:31 PM »
King for a day, fool for a lifetime.

with that arrogance he display, he is bound to pay for his stupidity. I remember him bitching over skaters not making as much as NBA players. They are shown on worldwide tv daily, with large audience and sponsors. that will never happen to skateboarding (thank God for that).

addie pray

• Rep: -526
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #1794 on: December 11, 2023, 03:25:44 PM »
slap messageboards:UWTB:frontpage

--------------------------------------------------------
> THESE TWO YOUNG BLACK MEN HAVE A STUPID BOARD COMPANY

> IS THIS BLACK WOMAN DESERVING OF PRO STATUS

>YOUNG BLACK MAN UPDATE: IS HE WORKING HARD ENOUGH?
------------------------------------------------------------

Maurice46

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1795 on: December 11, 2023, 03:50:33 PM »
slap messageboards:UWTB:frontpage

--------------------------------------------------------
> THESE TWO YOUNG BLACK MEN HAVE A STUPID BOARD COMPANY

> IS THIS BLACK WOMAN DESERVING OF PRO STATUS

>YOUNG BLACK MAN UPDATE: IS HE WORKING HARD ENOUGH?
------------------------------------------------------------

Being being black doesn't exempt us from criticism. The board company is corny, it is valid to point out when high-profile sponsors support someone whose skills don't align with that of their peers, and critiquing a pro skater whose output is noticeably lower than average is reasonable. Could some of this criticism be motivated by racism? Certainly. However, most of the criticism here seems to be based on observable weaknesses, in my view. Claiming racism as the main factor in situations like this without sufficient reason is the type of shit that weakens our legitimate calls for justice in the wider society.

addie pray

• Rep: -526
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #1796 on: December 11, 2023, 04:01:54 PM »
i dont disagree, just weird that slap seems to drill down on the "observable weaknesses" of king and kader and not say, skate mental and gino

im sure they could use unsolicited financial advice from a loser/losers too

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #1797 on: December 11, 2023, 04:12:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Where did you hear this
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Deniro owns nobu , I feel like that’s a lot different than some carribean restaurant in the Bronx . As long as rappers and white girls exist deniro is fine , I mean it’s only the most famous  sushi chain on the planet .
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Maurice46

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1798 on: December 11, 2023, 04:20:40 PM »
i dont disagree, just weird that slap seems to drill down on the "observable weaknesses" of king and kader and not say, skate mental and gino

That’s not been my experience. When the Gino/Asics collaboration was announced and their video came out, I recall many people here mocking it and  the whole “I’d rather see Gino push” silliness. Also, I’ve seen the phrase 'I could see him on Skate Mental' often used here to imply fading into irrelevance.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1799 on: December 11, 2023, 04:45:36 PM »

If Tyshawn had Gino’s push this would be a different discussion.

Seriously though, comparing skate mental and king is apples and oranges.  Skate mental is part of girl skateboards, right?  Then there is brad being later in his career, more focused on the brand then his career at that point and having clever ideas for art direction and such.  Even so, I’ve seen plenty of criticism over the years of skate mental.

In regards to kader and geno, ironically it’s pretty similar.  People definitely criticized Gino when his production was low, and criticized his career choices.

I personally was more annoyed by the people idiotically saying he was basically a business guru and making smart moves, when that was pretty obviously not the case.