Author Topic: Tyshawn and Nakel’s board brand is called King skateboards  (Read 165897 times)

cornman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 17
Re: Tyshawn and Nakel’s board brand is called King skateboards
« Reply #1830 on: December 12, 2023, 08:12:41 PM »
Tyshawn started making money and decides to open a restaurant in his home neighborhood with his mother, which closed in due to COVID. Sounds like he reinvested in his community and family and was met with unforeseen circumstances. Making him seem like a fool for it is a little fucked.

If Sucui started a natural wine bar in Cupertino when he got his Adidas shoe check and it shuttered due to COVID, it wouldn’t be discussed the same way.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2204
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1831 on: December 12, 2023, 10:08:03 PM »
Tyshawn started making money and decides to open a restaurant in his home neighborhood with his mother, which closed in due to COVID. Sounds like he reinvested in his community and family and was met with unforeseen circumstances. Making him seem like a fool for it is a little fucked.

If Sucui started a natural wine bar in Cupertino when he got his Adidas shoe check and it shuttered due to COVID, it wouldn’t be discussed the same way.
You seem to conveniently forget how much hate Suciu’s SOTY got around here.
Cheers to short memories: long may they wave!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Newphone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #1832 on: December 12, 2023, 10:27:31 PM »

If you’re referring to me saying “a fool and his money…” it’s a saying, and everyone’s been that type of fool at some point.  Hopefully he learns something from the experience. 

It’s a pretty common thing for a gifted athlete to be overconfident in other ventures, outside of where their physical gifts stop being an asset (Jereme Rogers and rapping anyone?)  In many cases, they’ve worked at one thing, very hard and with laser focus and assume that they must have just worked harder and with more specific dedication than others, overlooking the physical advantages they had in becoming exceptional.  Unfortunately, that same singleminded focus also means they sometimes skipped some of the experiences people have had that will be competing with them in these other fields (say going to college for business or accounting, or spending everyday in a family restaurant instead of practicing athletics.)

As I said before, I feel bad for him.  Not as bad as I feel for the restaurants that have no second career to fall back on though.  He’s young and gets interviewed about being an entrepreneur consistently, it becomes a self fulfilling narrative that he’s going to buy into, but that’s not going to stop the real world from demanding he knows what he’s doing if he wants to compete off the board.

Sucui didn’t open a wine bar, and despite the margins being better, there being less spoilage, and easier quality control, he very well might have been criticized for being out of his depth.

cornman

« Reply #1833 on: December 12, 2023, 11:02:33 PM »
Code: [Select]
Expand Quote

[close]
Yeah - I remember there were Suciu threads around Virso that were way longer than this one with just as much hate. I’m not saying it’s unfair to criticize Tyshawn’s skating or King.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding the situation, but it seems like Tyshawn helped open a Jamaican restaurant for his family to operate in his home neighborhood. Seems like a worthwhile pursuit regardless of the return. So I do think it’s irrelevant to point it out in this discussion.

Using Suciu as a hypothetical was stupid but he does seem like one to open a natural wine bar to further gentrify a neighborhood.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 11:36:41 PM by cornman »

cornman

« Reply #1834 on: December 12, 2023, 11:06:42 PM »
Code: [Select]
Expand Quote

[close]

If you’re referring to me saying “a fool and his money…” it’s a saying, and everyone’s been that type of fool at some point.  Hopefully he learns something from the experience. 

It’s a pretty common thing for a gifted athlete to be overconfident in other ventures, outside of where their physical gifts stop being an asset (Jereme Rogers and rapping anyone?)  In many cases, they’ve worked at one thing, very hard and with laser focus and assume that they must have just worked harder and with more specific dedication than others, overlooking the physical advantages they had in becoming exceptional.  Unfortunately, that same singleminded focus also means they sometimes skipped some of the experiences people have had that will be competing with them in these other fields (say going to college for business or accounting, or spending everyday in a family restaurant instead of practicing athletics.)

As I said before, I feel bad for him.  Not as bad as I feel for the restaurants that have no second career to fall back on though.  He’s young and gets interviewed about being an entrepreneur consistently, it becomes a self fulfilling narrative that he’s going to buy into, but that’s not going to stop the real world from demanding he knows what he’s doing if he wants to compete off the board.

Sucui didn’t open a wine bar, and despite the margins being better, there being less spoilage, and easier quality control, he very well might have been criticized for being out of his depth.
Okay Mikey. Tell Tyshawn to open wine bar.

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 108
« Reply #1835 on: December 13, 2023, 02:47:01 AM »

New graphics. First 3 graphics are not bad imo. The 3rd one is looking very FA....that Tyshawn one though is awful

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #1836 on: December 13, 2023, 03:12:32 AM »

New graphics. First 3 graphics are not bad imo. The 3rd one is looking very FA....that Tyshawn one though is awful

did saraceno go back to am when they rescued him from mikey a?

AllisonChalmers

• Rep: -41
« Reply #1837 on: December 13, 2023, 03:52:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

And fuck Mark Suciu!

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1223
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1838 on: December 13, 2023, 04:41:06 AM »

that nak board is really sick

fergus

• Rep: 46
« Reply #1839 on: December 13, 2023, 06:06:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is this the first Wire related board graphic to come out? Rip Michael K Williams, a true goat.

addie pray

• Rep: -526
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #1840 on: December 13, 2023, 06:21:37 AM »
it will be so so so fitting when 60 pages of dunking on young people of color turns into 3 pages of dorks talking about how much they love the wire

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #1841 on: December 13, 2023, 06:57:32 AM »

If this fictional scenario came to light, it would be the most roundly mocked incident in the history of Slap.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1842 on: December 13, 2023, 07:05:59 AM »
it will be so so so fitting when 60 pages of dunking on young people of color turns into 3 pages of dorks talking about how much they love the wire

These vauge eye rolls are some of the worst of modern slap.

What would be fitting about that?

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #1843 on: December 13, 2023, 07:45:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If this fictional scenario came to light, it would be the most roundly mocked incident in the history of Slap.

2nded. while i don't think the idea that young black skaters are subject to excess scrutiny is totally baseless, that suciu hypothetical is the worst contrast example possible.

if the dude set up a wine bar that turned out to be modestly viable, there'd be at least 100 pages of people calling him a bougie dickhead. if it was a failure, the ensuing onslaught of schadenfreude and mockery would most assuredly melt the server. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 08:10:21 AM by Arto!Arto!WakeUp! »

Sangriawaterfall

• Rep: 31
« Reply #1844 on: December 13, 2023, 07:59:24 AM »
Hate to break it to you guys but Mark’s wine bar will actually be a tapas restaurant with limited hand picked verso wine pairings in Los Gatos. Traverso’s.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1845 on: December 13, 2023, 08:30:07 AM »
I'd like King to be successful because I'd rather see some young ones with long careers ahead starting and succeeding with a board brand vs Strobeck cashing in (and claiming it's for the kids) or another really old dude focused brand that puts out more generic BBS shapes with meh art (not that I love King's either). Hopefully they give whomever came over from the IC implosion a good home and platform.

I don't know what's relevant to younger skaters anymore so I err on the side of Tyshawn likely being more in tune. It's not like his pro shoe is doing poorly or he isn't known for his work ethic and standout skating. Let's compare to who the PD were at this stage in their lives.

Lots of small businesses and restaurants fail. Let's not act like it's always a bad thing. Failure is celebrated in many business circles (especially tech) and the kid has plenty of time to learn from those situations and adapt.

Maurice46

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1846 on: December 13, 2023, 08:39:29 AM »

It's alright to say black people, that's what we call ourselves, not POC. Moreover, the folks you are talking about all have lucrative endorsement deals for skating, some without doing much of it, and are living their best lives. Not sure who is dunking on who in this scenario.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #1847 on: December 13, 2023, 08:39:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I lol'd at the cupertino reference, Marc would be smarter that...would likely have it in Los Gatos, Saratoga, or Palo Alto

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1848 on: December 13, 2023, 08:53:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have only seen Tyshawn and nak boards so far so effectively yes… but on the flip side, I can’t imagine any of the ic royalty checks Were that fat anyway so it was probably easy for Tyshawn to buy him at an increased salary with plan to release his board in x drops with a part and ad etc. who knows if this will ever happen though

On one hand if you think about it you only make like $5 a board being on FA or whatever, so you only have to sell a fraction of the boards to make the same money. But there is a lot more work involved rallying all the shit you need to make that happen. If he hires someone better to direct his company he could get distribution etc and he has the potential in the future to make a lot of money. But right now it does feel pretty small time.

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 280
« Reply #1849 on: December 13, 2023, 08:59:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I lol'd at the cupertino reference, Marc would be smarter that...would likely have it in Los Gatos, Saratoga, or Palo Alto
Based on past precedent, I would imagine he would visit the east coast and open something there

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #1850 on: December 13, 2023, 09:09:42 AM »
yea itd be a cheesesteak in Philly, chopped cheese in NYC, or a Chicago dog in Chicago.  all with great flavor but lacking authenticity

addie pray

• u a whole goofy
« Reply #1851 on: December 13, 2023, 09:56:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's alright to say black people, that's what we call ourselves, not POC. Moreover, the folks you are talking about all have lucrative endorsement deals for skating, some without doing much of it, and are living their best lives. Not sure who is dunking on who in this scenario.

big dog i am from one of the blackest cities in america and currently reside in the second blackest state in america, dont hit me with this patronizing nonsense. im not worried about black people getting upset with me over pronouns, im just used to these slap suckers screaming racist at me every 5 seconds

+ i know you know what im getting at here. you don't need to feel the need to pretend not to for ed lawndale

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2204
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1852 on: December 13, 2023, 10:12:18 AM »
…you don't need to feel the need to pretend not to for ed lawndale
Don’t be woke for SLAP Ed Lawndale.  🤣🤣🤣

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1853 on: December 13, 2023, 10:23:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

big dog i am from one of the blackest cities in america and currently reside in the second blackest state in america, dont hit me with this patronizing nonsense. im not worried about black people getting upset with me over pronouns, im just used to these slap suckers screaming racist at me every 5 seconds

+ i know you know what im getting at here. you don't need to feel the need to pretend not to for ed lawndale

It’s pretty clear we don’t know what you’re getting at.  Why don’t you stop being coy and explain what the original comment means? 

Is living in the “second blackest” state the new “my second best friend is black”? 

addie pray

• u a whole goofy
« Reply #1854 on: December 13, 2023, 10:26:30 AM »
you dont know what im getting at because you're a dumbass. i think there's a learning center real estate course you're due at.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1855 on: December 13, 2023, 10:33:38 AM »
you dont know what im getting at because you're a dumbass. i think there's a learning center real estate course you're due at.

Better go memorize your state flower, might need it to make an awesome point later

carlwinslow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1856 on: December 13, 2023, 10:34:26 AM »
newphone you fucking suck please stop posting

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #1857 on: December 13, 2023, 10:36:54 AM »
you invited to the bbq or naw?

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 147
« Reply #1858 on: December 13, 2023, 10:42:26 AM »
Love it when loser geeks pop into a thread and baselessly call everybody racist to derail it for three pages. Probably one of my favorite aspects of this site.

one-off

• Rep: 107
« Reply #1859 on: December 13, 2023, 10:56:53 AM »

My question is, if Suciu opened a wine bar, what would it be called? 

SOTYernes?

Stomped?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 12:12:57 PM by one-off »