Author Topic: Marseille  (Read 976 times)

mj23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Marseille
« on: November 14, 2022, 08:30:45 AM »
Sup y’all, it looks like I’m gonna be visiting Marseille in June for work, then extending my stay to have fun

What should I expect? Obviously I want to eat some dank food and drink great wine. I’d like to skate some curbs or mellow transition, if possible. If anyone has advice on what sections of town are good for “alternative” types (ie punk rock, night life, dive bars, etc I would be psyched
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 01:19:06 PM by mj23 »

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
Re: Marseilles
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 10:30:10 AM »
which one?

Pablo Ilie

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 11:03:24 AM »
Pay a visit to Bud Skateshop to know more about Marseille

https://www.lafriche.org/la-friche/lieux/bud-skateshop-marseille/

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 11:40:37 AM »
Touristy or not you must eat some bouillabaisse its incredible

ExpensiveHandjoe

• Rep: 18
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 12:40:46 PM »
Don't go out alone at night

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 01:45:05 PM »
not sure if this is a joke since marseille does have a rough reputation. i'd be interested to hear what locals and/or experienced visitors actually think.

at the moment i just see that marseille has roughly one tenth as much violent crime as NYC (where I currently live), so i'm not too terribly worried. i lived in brownsville for a while, and spent some time backpacking through morocco when i was younger, all without any issue, so i like to think i have a decent sense for how to avoid becoming a statistic. part of that is obviously knowing when not to push your luck, of course. so i'm not trying to act tough or anything.

ExpensiveHandjoe

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 01:59:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
not sure if this is a joke since marseille does have a rough reputation. i'd be interested to hear what locals and/or experienced visitors actually think.

at the moment i just see that marseille has roughly one tenth as much violent crime as NYC (where I currently live), so i'm not too terribly worried. i lived in brownsville for a while, and spent some time backpacking through morocco when i was younger, all without any issue, so i like to think i have a decent sense for how to avoid becoming a statistic. part of that is obviously knowing when not to push your luck, of course. so i'm not trying to act tough or anything.

Not a joke at all my friend

mj23

• SLAP Pal
Re: Marseille
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 02:46:33 PM »
Ok cool dude thanks for all the info, really helpful

ExpensiveHandjoe

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 02:49:29 AM »
 ;D
Sorry for the lack of informations.. I just mean if you go out to bars at night just do go back home alone if you feel like your too drunk, also watch out for your bags and pockets in certain neighborhoods or transports because pickpockets is pretty common around here. During the day there's just a few areas that can be sketchy but you'll be fine as long as you don't look too much like a tourist.
Food is awesome and pretty cheap compared to the rest of France, they have great couscous places and good fish restaurants too.
weed is fine there but I recommend you try their hash.. really nice. Also if your down for nice views " Les Calanques "
is a very beautiful place to go see.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 03:46:32 AM »
I had stiches in my foot when I was there, so didn't see much. But I stayed on Les Îles (Frioul Islands), great spot. Supper chill, worth a day trip, the ferry is dirt cheap from memory.

Here is a english link to the ferry:

https://www.lebateau-frioul-if.fr/en

For punk there is a facebook group called : Marseille Punk + Hardcore

That's all I got. I haven't been back since, want to thou. Bump this thread closer to June and I'll see what I can do, especially if there is a decent show. Its only 2.5 hours from here, but I always end up in other citys.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2022, 01:47:20 AM »

in my experience it's not that bad. just avoid the drug spots and you should be fine.... especially coming from NY.

here's my two tips:
1: go visit the calanques! a must for sure, especially in June when it's not overrun by tourists. if you're not on a shoestring budget, get in touch with http://www.balade-en-mer-marseille.fr/  that's run by an old skating buddy of mine. and visiting Marseille on a boat in the summer is just great. Fucking love it. Go snorkel or something.

2: the Fuveau skatepark is a little outside the city but it's real good. Concrete pool and mini, small street area. and uncrowded!

no idea about music venues and night spots sorry. I usually go to Marseille with wife and kids soooo..... :-X :-X

edit: I did not mention the Prado bowl but that goes whithout saying! most of the park has fairly mellow transitions. the spine area is so fun.....damn I haven't skated there in over 10 years probably!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 01:56:28 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2022, 02:02:21 AM »
Sup y’all, it looks like I’m gonna be visiting Marseille in June for work, then extending my stay to have fun

What should I expect? Obviously I want to eat some dank food and drink great wine. I’d like to skate some curbs or mellow transition, if possible. If anyone has advice on what sections of town are good for “alternative” types (ie punk rock, night life, dive bars, etc I would be psyched

Just yes, to all of this - Marseille is one of those cities where you'll just run into the stuff. Not dead at all and people are friendly and will show you around (the skaters at least), you'll make friends quick. Bud Skateshop also is a great recommendation, Momo is the best, definitely go say hi when you arrive and I can guarantee he will hook you up with all you need to know about the city. OG legend Colin Bonino knows all the spots if you ever get to run into him, he's friendly too. Re: night life, if you come from NYC and/or have visited Barcelona before then you'll know what you're doing. In general the climate is so hot with direct access to the sea, most people are really laid back, Mediterrean style. Just don't slip and do all the obviously wrong stuff and you'll be fine.

You'll run into curbs but also way more than just curbs. There are spots everywhere and the only kind of skate tourist I think would catch flack from the locals is the one who wouldn't respect the place which makes sense but you know. Tons of hills if you're into that, but also some clean plazas, skate-wise feels a lot like SF on a micro scale. Have fun!

leftwrightcenter

• Rep: 9
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2022, 05:47:00 AM »

This is a long form piece I wrote about living there for 8 months between 2018-2019.

https://skateboarding.transworld.net/photos/life-on-mars-a-postcard-from-frances-most-vibrant-city/

Everything mentioned above is true; keep your wits about you if drinking. The metro can be slightly sketchy in the evenings because folks sometimes lurk around platforms as there is essentially no security.

The local skate scene is very welcoming and the skaters will give good recommendations about where to go and not to go. I'm stoked you are going to check it out, I have many fond memories from my time there.

Go to Malmousque, get a pizza from L'Eau à la Bouche, and head down to the water for an epic sunset. Also skate Cathedrale de la Major and La Plaine plaza as much as possible.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2022, 06:39:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is a long form piece I wrote about living there for 8 months between 2018-2019.

https://skateboarding.transworld.net/photos/life-on-mars-a-postcard-from-frances-most-vibrant-city/

Everything mentioned above is true; keep your wits about you if drinking. The metro can be slightly sketchy in the evenings because folks sometimes lurk around platforms as there is essentially no security.

The local skate scene is very welcoming and the skaters will give good recommendations about where to go and not to go. I'm stoked you are going to check it out, I have many fond memories from my time there.

Go to Malmousque, get a pizza from L'Eau à la Bouche, and head down to the water for an epic sunset. Also skate Cathedrale de la Major and La Plaine plaza as much as possible.

That was a great read, I'm so stoked you ran into Antoine and liked Waaw, super cool dude and really chill place respectively. Article is a faithful representation of the Marseille experience.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2022, 07:07:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That was a great read, I'm so stoked you ran into Antoine and liked Waaw, super cool dude and really chill place respectively. Article is a faithful representation of the Marseille experience.

yes it is. Proof: the locals interviewed could not help but talk shit about Paris half the time hahaha....
how many times in the 8 months you were there did they tell you Paris is shit compared to Marseille?
My guess: about 8 000..... ::) :-X :-X
It's true Marseille is way more laid-back though. A little too laid-back actually, but that's another conversation....

leftwrightcenter

• Rep: 9
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2022, 06:32:20 AM »

Definitely. Antoine really took me under his wing, very solid guy and rad artist. I still keep in touch with all the guys I met over there, even though it's been four years since I left. Hoping to get back over, especially since La Plaine has been renovated. When I was there it was just a big car park.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2022, 07:36:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This was an awesome essay, thank you!! Makes me even more excited to visit. I’ve saved all the places you mentioned on a Google map so I don’t forget

Since everyone is talking about street safety, and you have lived in London and LA, how did you feel like being out in Marseille at night compared to, say, Downtown LA near skid row or something like that? That’s an example of a place where I have parked my car, gotten some drinks, etc, and just tried to mind my own business while people are doing drugs, sleeping in tents, screaming/rambling, asking for money, etc. Never had any problems even though I know people sometimes get assaulted or robbed etc

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2022, 12:39:45 AM »
as a Parisian, I feel I have to offer a counter point here.
Cause honestly....it really bugs me to hear Marseille locals are claiming their city is more open-minded.
When the reality is, the neo-fascist Rassemblement National party had a score 4 times higher in Marseille than in Paris at the last presidential elections. (20 % vs 5 % in the first round). Basically the south-east and the north of France are the 2 strongholds of the RN.

That being said, I still love going to Marseille, and I go pretty much every year. But what the locals claim should be taken with a pinch of salt  :-X

( for Americans missing context here, Paris and Marseille have a let's say, complicated relationship....yes it's the same country but they are very, very different places. it's kinda like the divide between northern and southern italy)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 12:53:54 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2022, 12:48:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
This was an awesome essay, thank you!! Makes me even more excited to visit. I’ve saved all the places you mentioned on a Google map so I don’t forget

Since everyone is talking about street safety, and you have lived in London and LA, how did you feel like being out in Marseille at night compared to, say, Downtown LA near skid row or something like that? That’s an example of a place where I have parked my car, gotten some drinks, etc, and just tried to mind my own business while people are doing drugs, sleeping in tents, screaming/rambling, asking for money, etc. Never had any problems even though I know people sometimes get assaulted or robbed etc

personal experience: I always felt safer in any European city vs an American city. this might be because I'm French so Europe is more familiar to me but the amount of guns circulating in the US makes it way more dangerous IMO.
I only ever stayed 2 or 3 days in LA, back when I was a student, but I remember the Greyhound bus station was just super sketchy at like 5 or 6 in the morning... I had to change bus there, going from SF to San Diego, and I had to wait an hour, on my own. It was like Crackhead central....I was almost surprised I did not get robbed!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 01:05:27 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2023, 01:43:29 AM »
@mj23 I just got offered a cheap weekend in Marseille June 3-5th from work. Prob will go as its very cheap, if your down for a skate and a few brews let me know! Will have a Hotel in the old port area.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2023, 10:07:07 AM »
@mj23 I just got offered a cheap weekend in Marseille June 3-5th from work. Prob will go as its very cheap, if your down for a skate and a few brews let me know! Will have a Hotel in the old port area.
Oh hell yeah! I may be there those days as well. Still waiting on confirmation from the work contacts out there. They originally said they would have everything lined up by late December, but that is now pushed back to February. Maybe this is the "laid back Mediterranean" thing some people have mentioned

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2023, 12:50:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Oh hell yeah! I may be there those days as well. Still waiting on confirmation from the work contacts out there. They originally said they would have everything lined up by late December, but that is now pushed back to February. Maybe this is the "laid back Mediterranean" thing some people have mentioned

Cool! I actually turned down the work trip as they wanted me to pay double for a single room but have Marseille now in my head for a long weekend trip. Let me know once you got your dates and i'll book something. Heaps of shit to skate there! June is good as its not 40C and the kids are still in school.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2023, 04:52:46 AM »
Just got done with my visit to Marseille and figured I would follow up here in case anyone searches the forums for advice in the future

Thanks to everyone who gave me tips. My trip got cut shorter than I would have liked because I needed to fly out on an additional work trip right away, but I enjoyed my quick visit

I really didn’t see the level of crime or danger that some people tried to warn me about, but I was largely in only the Vieux Port and Cours Julien areas, and only for a few days. I did manage to find time to go to Malmousque beach though, which was great.

Based on what my local colleagues told me it seems like gentrification in all those areas has made them pretty low in danger over the past 10 years. I was a bit more on my guard because of all the warnings but honestly, to me, US cities like like Philadelphia or Detroit feel a LOT more sketchy.

Lots of cool stuff to skate but not as many people around on boards as some other big cities.

Overall I give it 10/10 and would love to go back. Thanks again for all the tips