Author Topic: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair's new brand)  (Read 38904 times)

big_kev_215 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair's new brand)
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2022, 01:47:39 PM »
Expand Quote
"I finally got the truck to where I really like it, the main thing I wanted in a truck was for it to have the best grind clearance I could get without messing up the turn that I wanted. I also wanted the truck to be strong, light and have a classic look and feel."

I like how there will be ace, the new retro indy that looks like ace, and this slappy truck that looks like ace.
Probably really hard to tell the difference in clips or at all
[close]
links please

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=123563.msg3866286#msg3866286

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=123563.0

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
Re: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair new brand)
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2022, 01:52:42 PM »
Expand Quote
"I finally got the truck to where I really like it, the main thing I wanted in a truck was for it to have the best grind clearance I could get without messing up the turn that I wanted. I also wanted the truck to be strong, light and have a classic look and feel."

I like how there will be ace, the new retro indy that looks like ace, and this slappy truck that looks like ace.
Probably really hard to tell the difference in clips or at all
[close]
links please

Boog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 190
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2022, 02:12:36 PM »
"I've emptied all my accounts".

switchfakie

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2022, 02:32:12 PM »
i think mike sinclair lost his relevancy, no reason for me bc all ive ever known him is as a kotr tm

oski has a name & track record, mag lights have the lightness aspect. all this brand has is a quirky name

not gonna cop

EOABL

• Rep: 3
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2022, 02:36:25 PM »
I've been riding the regular kingpin version for a few weeks, and so far they're great. Sure, these don't reinvent the wheel but they seem to take the most desirable attributes of the big four including amazing kingpin clearance,  a turn that feels more swoopy like an Ace but resists wheelbite like Lurpivs did, they grind like a mix of af1s and Indy. Bushings sort of feel like Ace hards at first but loosen up nicely. QC seems to be on point also, they feel and look like top tier trucks should.

I don't feel compelled to change bushings or pivot cups like I have every other truck in the last 5 years which is a relief because my tendency to blame my equipment instead of myself for my lack of ability had gotten expensive.

I didn't measure or weigh them but they feel light but not too light. Pretty sure they are 53mm tall but again, I haven't measured them.

Tldr- they're good

And no, this isn't Sinclair.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2022, 02:38:43 PM »
Any idea how they make your wheelbase sit? Is it super short like an ace, kinda normal like an indy or a lil longer like indy forged plate, or do they really push it out like a thunder or venture. I imagine more towards the former

EOABL

• Rep: 3
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2022, 02:55:31 PM »
 Without measurements I could be way off but they feel like they are in the honey hole between Indy standards and Ace AF1, wheelbase-wise.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2022, 03:08:20 PM »
Without measurements I could be way off but they feel like they are in the honey hole between Indy standards and Ace AF1, wheelbase-wise.

Thanks, thats about what I would have guessed. So sounds like a lower indy standard with more kingpin clearance?
I'm not mad at that

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2022, 03:14:50 PM »
Any idea where they're made?

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2022, 03:18:52 PM »
Certainly looks like twice the grind clearance as on the Indies. How high are those, weight, I need specs.

My thought exactly. Kingpin clearance looks huge.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2022, 03:19:32 PM »
I don't get why people are shitting on this brand/idea but welcomed Lurpiv with open arms. If the QC is better than ACE it seems like it could be a great truck if you don't want to ride Indys for whatever reason.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2022, 03:30:10 PM »
Certainly looks like twice the grind clearance as on the Indies. How high are those, weight, I need specs.

Same. Kinda weird that there aren't specs out considering every major truck brand has this info readily available. I know not everyone is super into gear, but I frequently hear people at my local talk about basic dimensions like truck height, weight, and how far it pushes out WB.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2022, 03:30:44 PM »
Of course hard to conclude from those photos, but it looks like a very hollow hanger without much support.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2022, 03:49:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same. Kinda weird that there aren't specs out considering every major truck brand has this info readily available. I know not everyone is super into gear, but I frequently hear people at my local talk about basic dimensions like truck height, weight, and how far it pushes out WB.

I wish I went to your local because at the ones I've been to absolutely no fried employee has given a fuck about these things and when you ask them about trucks they just say they ride Indy's. Or that they ride Ventures because Indy moved to China, but that some people that like doing tech stuff skate Thunders but they're not good for transition. Literally all statements I've heard too many times to count. Measuring a deck or asking about specs is frowned upon.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2022, 04:04:40 PM »
I don't get why people are shitting on this brand/idea but welcomed Lurpiv with open arms. If the QC is better than ACE it seems like it could be a great truck if you don't want to ride Indys for whatever reason.
Marketing works and Lurpiv had all the right ingredients except the actual product. Slappy has a weaker image so far but if the product is good, it may work. I do find it strange that they chose a hanger that looks exactly like an ace classic. Makes it harder for footage of your product to stand out.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ck9aVzhJV_O/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2022, 05:02:31 PM »
I don't think people are shitting on them...Lurpiv caught flack as well...anything new does...*AHEM, Royal Thread*

They're special, they went back in time and nabbed a young Chet Thomas.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2022, 05:08:41 PM »
I'd ride 'em if they want a test pilot.

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2022, 05:17:51 PM »
Comes with the added feature of everyone assuming they are Ace trucks and not treating you like an insane person.

I remember my homie asking how I got Thunders with an inverted kingpin, when I said they were Royals he looked like I spat in his face.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2022, 06:43:30 PM »
The front view and baseplate look like an Indy, made me think they were an Indy rebrand like Zumiez's Compound trucks https://www.zumiez.com/compound-polished-silver-5-25-skateboard-truck.html

But the hanger looks skinnier and the kingpin lower, so IDK.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2022, 07:21:27 PM »
Here's 13 seconds. Still confused how Sinclair has access to a foundry that allows him to tinker. Maybe they are just going to put these on all the toy machine completes.

http://youtu.be/GkWMyiTNZEM

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2022, 01:11:13 AM »
Here's 13 seconds. Still confused how Sinclair has access to a foundry that allows him to tinker. Maybe they are just going to put these on all the toy machine completes.

http://youtu.be/GkWMyiTNZEM

Everyone does. You send your specs and references to a Chinese foundry and they send you a prototype in a few weeks. China is cutthroat so its surprisingly cheap (by b2b standards) to get just a couple pairs made and if you're someone like Sinclair who is probably at least somewhat connected over there they'd probably throw themselves at your feet in the hopes of landing even a 2500 pc order.

There's that whole Zumiez-centric side of Tumyeto that pumps out 8" completes, so I'd assume he's probably just working with whatever foundry makes those though.

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2022, 01:19:03 AM »
Design looks clean but in my somewhat worthless opinion, i think the logo on the baseplate cheapens them.

IpathCats

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2022, 06:06:31 AM »
Just buy forged indys or aces.

You can even get IKP indy plates now

this seems silly

and they look like some kmart shit.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2022, 06:58:09 AM »
The front view and baseplate look like an Indy, made me think they were an Indy rebrand like Zumiez's Compound trucks https://www.zumiez.com/compound-polished-silver-5-25-skateboard-truck.html

But the hanger looks skinnier and the kingpin lower, so IDK.

Not to quibble, but it's a mistake to describe the cheap Indy knockoffs which Zumiez sells as an "Indy rebrand," which would imply that they simply take authentic Independent Trucks and brand them with a different logo. These are obviously cheap fakes.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

slobburnquist

• Rep: 6
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2022, 07:02:30 AM »
Will start this off by saying I am a fuck the rest kinda guy. Haven't had anything other than forged Indy's for the past 10 to 15 years on my main board. I wanted to join the ace hype train (they are a beautiful truck), but have never been able to get a pair to my liking. They do not grind like they should either, but that is a different story.

Been riding the 8.5 standard KP for a couple weeks now on a lightly used popsicle that I had laying around. I love talking shit on things, but overall I do not really have any gripes with these. They feel good right when set up, which is surprising, but they have also worn in/ loosened up nicely. I have not really messed with them much on any bigger transition, but the trucks have been fun to play around with on slappy curbs, boxes, and flatgound. I am not a small boi and enjoy to ride a decently loose truck and these have a bit of wheel bite resistance that doesn't seem to negatively affect the feel of the turn of the truck. Something that I did not know I wanted, but think I kinda like.

The verdict is still out, as to how these will hold up since its only been a couple weeks of riding but they have been a pleasant surprise thus far. Solid job Larry.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2022, 07:21:01 AM »
ill wait a few years before i fuck with it. i just got my first pair of aces recently lol
ONTARIO CANADA

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2022, 07:22:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Everyone does. You send your specs and references to a Chinese foundry and they send you a prototype in a few weeks. China is cutthroat so its surprisingly cheap (by b2b standards) to get just a couple pairs made and if you're someone like Sinclair who is probably at least somewhat connected over there they'd probably throw themselves at your feet in the hopes of landing even a 2500 pc order.

If you are just DHLing some samples this makes sense. I’ve seen the exact scenario in my work.

My confusion is probably me just projecting that I really don’t want another truck brand to think about haha

IpathCats

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2022, 09:30:32 AM »
Will start this off by saying I am a fuck the rest kinda guy. Haven't had anything other than forged Indy's for the past 10 to 15 years on my main board. I wanted to join the ace hype train (they are a beautiful truck), but have never been able to get a pair to my liking. They do not grind like they should either, but that is a different story.

Been riding the 8.5 standard KP for a couple weeks now on a lightly used popsicle that I had laying around. I love talking shit on things, but overall I do not really have any gripes with these. They feel good right when set up, which is surprising, but they have also worn in/ loosened up nicely. I have not really messed with them much on any bigger transition, but the trucks have been fun to play around with on slappy curbs, boxes, and flatgound. I am not a small boi and enjoy to ride a decently loose truck and these have a bit of wheel bite resistance that doesn't seem to negatively affect the feel of the turn of the truck. Something that I did not know I wanted, but think I kinda like.

The verdict is still out, as to how these will hold up since its only been a couple weeks of riding but they have been a pleasant surprise thus far. Solid job Larry.

pretty similar in height to forged 149s, are there any obvious differences other than the aforementioned wheelbite resistance? (probably attributed to bushings)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2022, 09:50:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

pretty similar in height to forged 149s, are there any obvious differences other than the aforementioned wheelbite resistance? (probably attributed to bushings)

That bottom washer (in the images) cups that bushing like a MF.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -61
Re: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair new brand)
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2022, 10:18:35 AM »
I'll wait for the Ben Degros review

Same. Especially considering my personal preferences are extremely similar to his.
Probably because we're both 90s' tech dinosaurs.