Author Topic: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair's new brand)  (Read 38913 times)

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 104
Re: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair's new brand)
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2023, 10:40:24 AM »
In my jubjective opinion, they should be able to handle big drops.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2023, 01:31:40 PM »
For some perspective it’s Mike and a friend running the brand and shipping product.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2023, 06:27:15 PM »
For some perspective it’s Mike and a friend running the brand and shipping product.

It’s really interesting that the real garage brands, skater owned and operated brands, street plant, black label, now these… never get any love (nfg rip) but oh boy, them kids sure do love the indie board brand #4567 using generic BBS shapes…

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2023, 06:44:58 PM »
Label is untouchable, shit I'd skate lucero's boards forever and ever but he does also use generic BBS shapes with mainly the same boring 14.5 wheelbase. I wish he did runs of popsicles with the short wheelbases like those "misregister" eagles.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2023, 07:39:08 PM »
Label is untouchable, shit I'd skate lucero's boards forever and ever but he does also use generic BBS shapes with mainly the same boring 14.5 wheelbase. I wish he did runs of popsicles with the short wheelbases like those "misregister" eagles.

Yup...Not a fan of the WB/dims on label or I would totally ride/support them. Same goes for Street Plant and they giant ass WBs.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #215 on: March 07, 2023, 06:17:33 AM »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #216 on: March 13, 2023, 04:38:35 PM »
8.25" IKP Hollows just landed on my doorstep.

They don't seem as heavy in hand as I was expecting (hollows or not)...that grind clearance tho, damn...pics kinda do it justice but seeing it in person, it's crazy, The top bushing is lower than a standard top but still taller than a 'low' top, the top of the IKP is damn near, if not at the bottom of the axle; lube in the pivot cavity. Also, and I'm sure most interested already know, but there is no 'shaft nut' for the IKP like Indy/Krux/Royal, just a regs kingpin nut jammed into a round cavity.

It's still moist where I am with more rain on the way, probably won't get to them until the weekend.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #217 on: March 13, 2023, 05:32:18 PM »
I'll definitely try these now they've got the hollows.  Next trucks.

ish_wav

• Rep: 93
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #218 on: March 14, 2023, 07:22:14 AM »

They don't seem as heavy in hand as I was expecting (hollows or not)...that grind clearance tho, damn...pics kinda do it justice but seeing it in person, it's crazy, The top bushing is lower than a standard top but still taller than a 'low' top, the top of the IKP is damn near, if not at the bottom of the axle; lube in the pivot cavity. Also, and I'm sure most interested already know, but there is no 'shaft nut' for the IKP like Indy/Krux/Royal, just a regs kingpin nut jammed into a round cavity.

It's still moist where I am with more rain on the way, probably won't get to them until the weekend.

I am extremely excited to hear what you think about them. I liked my regular IKPs well enough. They’re just very heavy which is why I switched them out. I want the hollow slappys but I don’t NEED the hollow slappys lol.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #219 on: March 14, 2023, 09:41:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I am extremely excited to hear what you think about them. I liked my regular IKPs well enough. They’re just very heavy which is why I switched them out. I want the hollow slappys but I don’t NEED the hollow slappys lol.

It’s raining here again as predicted, so who knows when I’m gonna get to them.

I definitely didn’t need them…. They’re not super light I mean they’re the same weight as an indie hollow maybe a gram or two lighter… so still have some heft

ish_wav

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #220 on: March 14, 2023, 09:56:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It’s raining here again as predicted, so who knows when I’m gonna get to them.

I definitely didn’t need them…. They’re not super light I mean they’re the same weight as an indie hollow maybe a gram or two lighter… so still have some heft

I’m on Indy forged hollows right now so that sounds comfy.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #221 on: March 14, 2023, 12:56:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s really interesting that the real garage brands, skater owned and operated brands, street plant, black label, now these… never get any love (nfg rip) but oh boy, them kids sure do love the indie board brand #4567 using generic BBS shapes…
It's because kids don't need some specific specialty shape or gear to rip and those brands you mentioned hasn't produced any marketing media that speaks to them. No one cares to support anything solely because the person running it rides a skateboard. I've met plenty of skaters that I don't care to support financially.

Example: A group of skaters around me love Loophole wheels but have never heard of NFG when I tried to talk to them about it even tho that's who made their products at the time. Branding is everything and those garage brands have too much trust in the charm of being a DIY operation or their legacy being a selling point.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #222 on: March 14, 2023, 02:55:33 PM »

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #223 on: March 14, 2023, 09:04:52 PM »
Also, and I'm sure most interested already know, but there is no 'shaft nut' for the IKP like Indy/Krux/Royal, just a regs kingpin nut jammed into a round cavity

I’m curious to see how that nut situation holds up and whether or not the kingpin loosens with use. That seems to be a common feature of IKP trucks. Hopefully it’s more secure than Lurpiv’s nut. 

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #224 on: March 15, 2023, 07:57:57 AM »
I’m back riding the IKP wave. Just gotta buy loctite and anytime you fuck with your trucks and take ‘em apart, clean off the threading on the kingpin with some rubbing alcohol real quick, then apply loctite again and good to go. So if these slappy trucks have the same issue, just scoop some loctite.

ish_wav

« Reply #225 on: March 15, 2023, 08:16:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Also, and I'm sure most interested already know, but there is no 'shaft nut' for the IKP like Indy/Krux/Royal, just a regs kingpin nut jammed into a round cavity
[close]

I’m curious to see how that nut situation holds up and whether or not the kingpin loosens with use. That seems to be a common feature of IKP trucks. Hopefully it’s more secure than Lurpiv’s nut.

Mine did. I’ve read (although i haven’t tried myself) that the AF1 kingpin nut with retreaded built in keep them from loosening if you’re not wanting to do loctite.

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #226 on: March 18, 2023, 12:05:25 PM »
This may have been mentioned already, but does anyone know if these suck in the wheelbase similar to an Indy? Or what effect these have on wheelbase in general?

I want to try the hollow IKP even though I really don’t need more gear rn

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #227 on: March 18, 2023, 12:32:15 PM »
This may have been mentioned already, but does anyone know if these suck in the wheelbase similar to an Indy? Or what effect these have on wheelbase in general?

If memory serves, +3.1 ish similar to Indy forged?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #228 on: March 18, 2023, 12:59:51 PM »
First session, new deck (14.20" ish WB, mellow kicks), 8.25" trucks and 52mm spit classics.

Nut flush (IKP) - I did adjust both trucks prior to setting up (one was cranked down more than flush), stock everything.

These are easily the most skateable trucks out of the bag I've ever ridden. Zero adjustment (after setting nut flush). 185lbs right now and they were perfect (just a tad 'new bushing' feel, but they broke in very fast during a ~2hr session). Unless the bushings get super smooshy I don't see the need to adjust them, even after they break in.

Pinch/Grind - They do. Feel like grinding indys. Fast(er? I did slip out on the tail end of quite a few b-side 50s and 5-Os), loud and smooth. Definitely not soft like ACE Classics and not hard like Venture/AF1(and to some extent, Royal). Grinds were done on heavy rain-washed (for like 3 fucking weeks) well skated curbs (no wax).

Turn: Great! Not sure, but somewhere between ACE (not as squirrly) and Indy (faster turn yet still stable when you need them). If anything there is just a hint of initial turn delay but I'm chalking that up to new bushings as just pushing/front foot steering and swerving around they did what I wanted.

Bushings are super spongy/bouncy feeling, lots of rebound, they feel very very lively. Very different than ACE /Royal / Indy stocks

Pop feel is very light, I was surprised, I was expecting any Indy feel.

Weight: They're hefty, no denying it (coming off Thunder Team hollow).

They're honestly, fantastic if you want an ACE/INDY/ML turn but feel like each one of those isn't just right (slow/squirrly/heavy/soft/too low). Again; the best set and forget trucks out of the bag I've ever set up.

Wheelbite: Never got pitched and the marks are super small:

Front Truck TOE side :

Front Truck HEEL side (fucking tiny):

No wheelbite marks at all for the rear trucks, either side.

I'll check back in after a few more sessions...but color me impressed AF.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 07:12:00 PM by Xen »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #229 on: March 18, 2023, 08:15:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #230 on: March 18, 2023, 08:25:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ah, so close yet so far away. Thanks for re-sharing that, I forgot Schmitt did those measurements

Rich Harrow

• Rep: 2
« Reply #231 on: March 20, 2023, 12:21:35 PM »
Awesome info!! I was looking for reviews on Hollow slap trucks and came across this. You would say they are much lighter than independent hollows? I ordered the hollow 8.5 in. Thanks for link
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 12:35:09 PM by Rich Harrow »

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2023, 04:42:19 PM »
BOOM!

whispering pines elementary

I'll do some comparison to other 8.25 trucks when I get home tomorrow
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #233 on: March 20, 2023, 04:58:37 PM »
Awesome info!! I was looking for reviews on Hollow slap trucks and came across this. You would say they are much lighter than independent hollows? I ordered the hollow 8.5 in. Thanks for link

Apples to apples (Indys listed are cast hollow):

Slappy 8.25" 362g
Indy 144 - 363g

Slappy 8.5" 368g
Indy 149 - 369g

So, yeah, they're lighter? :P

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #234 on: March 20, 2023, 06:55:26 PM »
I’ve got no plans to get these, and yet….I want to hear aaaaaaall about how they skate

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #235 on: March 20, 2023, 07:06:07 PM »
If I had to sum it up, they took the best from ACE and Indy, but more stable than either, with none of the drawbacks, except weight.

Which got me thinking, how fucking hard is it to make a truck that has ACE/INDY characteristics and make it light (no special metals, mind), like say, a Thunder team hollow or some shit (I see you ML, but not a low)?

You've got the 'light truck' camp over there with Thunder/Venture/Royal, but they are have that similar 'not ACE/Indy' turn, you know? For trucks to skate like Indy they have to be heavy? Looking at you ACE and Slappy (Lurpiv...industrial, z-flex, Paris, whateverthefukc, too).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 07:50:29 PM by Xen »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #236 on: March 20, 2023, 08:35:20 PM »
If I had to sum it up, they took the best from ACE and Indy, but more stable than either, with none of the drawbacks, except weight.

Which got me thinking, how fucking hard is it to make a truck that has ACE/INDY characteristics and make it light (no special metals, mind), like say, a Thunder team hollow or some shit (I see you ML, but not a low)?

You've got the 'light truck' camp over there with Thunder/Venture/Royal, but they are have that similar 'not ACE/Indy' turn, you know? For trucks to skate like Indy they have to be heavy? Looking at you ACE and Slappy (Lurpiv...industrial, z-flex, Paris, whateverthefukc, too).

That is an interesting point: the turn is heavy.
How’s the slappy pop?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #237 on: March 20, 2023, 10:12:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That is an interesting point: the turn is heavy.
How’s the slappy pop?

Lighter than expected but still feels like an ACE/Indy feel. Running on a short WB (14 3/8th), normally I only run indy/ace on 14.3x + WBs to pull them in some. I'm going to move them over to a longer WB at some point.

Make no mistake, they are firmly in the Indy/ACE (theeve, real close to theeve) camp for turn feel, IF ACE and Indy had a baby = Slappy..I mean, just look at them =)

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #238 on: March 21, 2023, 07:18:20 AM »

My guess is really hard? I think it comes down to height and the length of the kingpin needing to be longer in order to give a deeper turn. With a taller kingpin, I assume the hanger has to be beefed up to both support the extra height and to give a reasonable clearance. All this goes towards weight being heavier. I think thunder is able to do the thinner hangers since its lower and the center of gravity isn't as dramatic. Could be wrong but thats my thinking.

Also, one of the appeals of indy and to an extent, ace, is that the hangers are more substantial and carry through crustier grinds better. This is my experience at least. 

stupidfuckface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #239 on: March 21, 2023, 07:38:39 AM »
I’ve got a lightly used pair, they aren’t for me..If anyone is curious to try them,  I’m willing to trade for comparable Indy or Ace..
8.75” wide ...