Author Topic: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair's new brand)  (Read 41729 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair's new brand)
« Reply #300 on: February 01, 2024, 11:22:32 PM »
Expand Quote
people always complain about inverted kingpins sucking, are the slappy ones any different?
[close]

I've had issues with them loosening. I tried loctite, but had to resort to lightly JB-weld the nut on one of my trucks. Holding up so far.
Thx for the reply, never messed with inverted kingpins since having to do shit to them goes beyond me.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

MongoSwitchIsIllegal

• Rep: -6
« Reply #301 on: February 02, 2024, 02:06:40 PM »
Thousands of slappys on this and no issues... I did replace the pivot cups once because they were squeaky. I mostly do slappy grinds and no kingpin loosening. I took the kingpin off when replacing the pivot cups and it feels brand new once I put the truck back together. Highly recommend I don't see what a lot of the naysayers are bringing up about the kingpin loosening.. it has tons of thread I was surprised when I checked it out that I could probably tighten it a lot more than I do.

Wu Wei - The Art of Doing Nothing - Effortless Action

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #302 on: February 02, 2024, 05:22:56 PM »
Thing about slappy vs mindys/royals is slappy just has a kingpin nut wedge/secured in the baseplate, not some special threaded design sleeve/shaft nut combo...so I can't see how it being upside down would cause it to loosen? Vibration in the plate traveling through the nut? I still ride my inverted 8.75 slappies on the regular and haven't needed to tighten them due to them loosening up,

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 965
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #303 on: February 02, 2024, 08:58:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Buddy of mine showed me his cracked baseplates yesterday, he's an older dude who is light impact type just does slow slappies and some flat ground so he doesn't really beat the hell out of his trucks. I never noticed before, but the square cutout in the middle of the baseplates for weight reduction has super thin sides so I wouldn't be surprised this keeps happening til they change the design. They are already sending out a warranty replacement which is cool, but I have a feeling he will be back on Indy and Ace soon lol.
[close]

That reminds me of the significant number of Indy Stage 9 baseplates with those cutouts that caused the baseplate to end up in two pieces, along with any number of baseplates from Thunder, Destructo, Venture or others with similar mid cut outs to the Slappy trucks I have from over the years, when others broke them.

With the Indy trucks at least, I never broke them skating, more so when the board shot out straight into a curb hitting the truck at speed, which caused the baseplate to buckle enough to then form a crack and when taking it off the deck, tweaked it enough to have one end up with the pivot point popping out, so I guess the wrong / right amount of force in the wrong / right place and it could put a little too much stress on that weaker middle area.

I've broken baseplates. It happens sometimes. You'd be surprised the stomping force a few good sessions in a row can generate. I fuckin try to pow it sometimes. Mostly I bend shit.

I almost set up the slappies today. I didn't even know I still had um. I already had a 5.8 on the new stick so next time maybe.

I kinda think it's almost too pretty to skate.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #304 on: February 14, 2024, 12:49:11 PM »
Looks like forged plates are on the way

Plate is looking thinner in these shots

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #305 on: February 14, 2024, 01:34:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

hopefully there's a non-colored version of these

ish_wav

• Rep: 96
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #306 on: February 14, 2024, 03:02:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Is this a forged plate? Looks cozy either way.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #307 on: February 14, 2024, 03:06:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Is this a forged plate? Looks cozy either way.

Yep, forged plate but same height as the cast version (neat) to retain the height and lighten them up a bit; word on the street is only these color plates at launch, silver later...

Anxiety

• Rep: 46
« Reply #308 on: February 15, 2024, 09:52:57 AM »
Someone please explain to me why companies won’t make a black plate and raw hanger anymore

Mike if you’re reading this

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #309 on: February 15, 2024, 10:36:07 AM »
They just dropped 10-inch trucks too.
They are going off with expanding the range
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 06:06:43 PM by Xen »

Anxiety

• Rep: 46
« Reply #311 on: February 16, 2024, 07:48:26 AM »
Ok well I DIDN'T KNOW THAT

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #312 on: February 16, 2024, 11:07:45 AM »

Obijuan91

• Rep: 16
« Reply #313 on: February 21, 2024, 12:33:35 PM »
Is it just me, or do slappys turn better than Indy’s? Stepped on my daughters set up with Indy’s after messing around with mine with slappys and it turned but for some reason just felt stiff, both king pins are flushed too. Blew my mind had to share.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #314 on: February 21, 2024, 05:20:29 PM »
Better? Subjective, to be sure.

Not sure if you ever tried Theeves but these are pretty much those..faster turning indy, slower turning ACE, with more stability than either. Wish they were a bit lower.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 06:55:09 PM by Xen »

ulpsb

• Rep: 4
« Reply #315 on: February 22, 2024, 10:31:12 AM »
Seeing that the forged will not give a height reduction,  I was kind of bummed as these are just to tall for my liking. Currently on ace lows, they're great. But I did message slappy trucks on Instagram. I asked if they are doing something lower and I got an answer of " Testing Currently,  in the works". So we'll see hopefully a lower truck.

Skatebrain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #316 on: February 22, 2024, 10:42:47 AM »
I’d imagine the no wheelbite guarantee would be an issue.  I have a pair and they are a pretty nice truck that really clheck all boxes, but height. 

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #317 on: February 22, 2024, 02:17:26 PM »
I can't believe the forged ones are the same height until someone here measures theirs. Why would they do this?

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 965
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #318 on: February 22, 2024, 02:29:50 PM »
Is it just me, or do slappys turn better than Indy’s? Stepped on my daughters set up with Indy’s after messing around with mine with slappys and it turned but for some reason just felt stiff, both king pins are flushed too. Blew my mind had to share.

That's normal. I had to put cut bushings in our kids trucks.

I suggest the Venture loose trucks truck with the green bushings for people under 100 lbs. Is100 the best truck for kids turns incredible. Can get loos like an ace but no wheel bite.

My 6.1s jingle but I can stand full weight on the rail still. Do a 360+ turn around.
I have 58mm wheel anda 1/8 riser. I'm 160lbs

Speed whobbles NEVER. I am a speed freak tho
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Tiltmode Army Reservist

• Rep: 22
  • RIP Ben Raemers
« Reply #319 on: February 22, 2024, 03:59:29 PM »
Someone on the Ace Thread (I don't know how to tag them, but their screenname is Here Comes A Regular) mentioned that a Slappy hanger fits perfectly on an Ace baseplate, and they work really well together. At the time I happened to be converting a pair of forged Ace baseplates to work with an inverted kingpin (JB Weld holding a kingpin nut under the baseplate), so I figured it was worth a try. Once the JB Weld cured, I set those baseplates up with my hollow Slappy hangers, and that shit changed my life.

I'm not sure if it works better (there may be a placebo effect going on), but it definitely didn't get worse. The turns and grinds felt great, the grind clearance (which was already great) improved dramatically, and everything felt just as stable as before. Also they maintain at the level of tightness I like, and I'm only having to tighten them once every few sessions, which is incredible. I bought a pair of Slappy Trucks after my frustration with my Indy Mids brought me to a breaking point: I had a LOT of lateral kingpin movement with the Indy Mids AND they came loose all the time, which was disappointing because the tech involved with those baseplates seemed like it would solve all of the problems associated with inverted kingpin trucks. Unfortunately they didn't work for me, and from reading around over here, it sounds like they didn't work for a lot of people (including the pros who had their names on those particular type of trucks). The inverted Slappys are a definite upgrade over the Indy Mids, and the addition of the Ace Baseplates were just a fun opportunity to play mad scientist, inspired by the recommendation of a great contributor to this board.

There was nothing wrong with the Slappy baseplates whatsoever, even after about a year's worth of honest wear. Those are now set up on my cruiser, where they are enjoying semi-retirement life. The Ace baseplates just happened to be a little lighter, a little stronger, and looked a lot cooler. I was also happy to see how everyone else loved the look of a black baseplate with a raw hanger, because that happened to be the color configuration I ended up with.

I am still curious about those new forged Slappy baseplates. If Slappy offers them in black, with a raw hollow hanger, and an inverted kingpin option, I'll have money ready.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 04:17:17 AM by Tiltmode Army Reservist »
RIP Ben Raemers

herecomesaregular

• Rep: 6
« Reply #320 on: February 22, 2024, 05:19:18 PM »
Someone on the Ace Thread (I don't know how to tag them, but their screenname is Here Comes A Regular) mentioned that a Slappy hanger fits perfectly on an Ace baseplate, and they work really well together. At the time I happened to be converting a pair of forged Ace baseplates to work with an inverted kingpin (JB Weld holding a kingpin nut under the baseplate), so I figured it was worth a try. Once the JB Weld cured, I set those baseplates up with my hollow Slappy hangers, and that shit changed my life. I'm not sure if it works better (there may be a placebo effect going on), but it definitely didn't get worse. The turns and grinds felt great, the grind clearance improved dramatically, and everything felt just as stable as before (didn't suddenly become way too loose). I bought a pair of Slappy Trucks after my frustration with my Indy Mids brought me to a breaking point: I had a LOT of lateral kingpin movement with the Indy Mids and they came loose all the time, which was disappointing because the tech involved with those baseplates seemed like it would solve that problem. Unfortunately it didn't for me. The inverted Slappys are a definite upgrade over the Indy Mids. The addition of the Ace Baseplates were just a fun opportunity to play mad scientist, inspired by the recommendation of a great contributor to this board.

There was nothing wrong with the Slappy baseplates whatsoever, even after about a year's worth of honest wear. The Ace baseplates just happened to be a little lighter, a little stronger, and looked a lot cooler. I was also happy to see how everyone else loved the look of a black baseplate with a raw hanger, because that happened to be the color configuration I ended up with.

I am still curious about those new forged Slappy baseplates. If Slappy offers them in black, with a raw hollow hanger, and an inverted kingpin option, I'll have money ready.

You’re welcome!

I’m a month into skating my slappy/ace hybrids and still extremely happy with my choices.

Dmng

• Rep: 10
« Reply #321 on: March 12, 2024, 01:33:27 AM »
I actually think about doing the mad scientist as well and put the Slappy hanger on my ace af1 baseplate.

Can I extract / reuse the inverted kingpin from the Slappy ? Or do I need to get another kingpin?

Tiltmode Army Reservist

• RIP Ben Raemers
« Reply #322 on: March 12, 2024, 03:55:06 AM »
I actually think about doing the mad scientist as well and put the Slappy hanger on my ace af1 baseplate.

Can I extract / reuse the inverted kingpin from the Slappy ? Or do I need to get another kingpin?

The old kingpin should work fine, but I would recommend using a brand new kingpin nut to JB weld into the baseplate, so that your trucks won't loosen up as easily.
RIP Ben Raemers

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #323 on: March 12, 2024, 05:35:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Someone on the Ace Thread (I don't know how to tag them, but their screenname is Here Comes A Regular) mentioned that a Slappy hanger fits perfectly on an Ace baseplate, and they work really well together. At the time I happened to be converting a pair of forged Ace baseplates to work with an inverted kingpin (JB Weld holding a kingpin nut under the baseplate), so I figured it was worth a try. Once the JB Weld cured, I set those baseplates up with my hollow Slappy hangers, and that shit changed my life. I'm not sure if it works better (there may be a placebo effect going on), but it definitely didn't get worse. The turns and grinds felt great, the grind clearance improved dramatically, and everything felt just as stable as before (didn't suddenly become way too loose). I bought a pair of Slappy Trucks after my frustration with my Indy Mids brought me to a breaking point: I had a LOT of lateral kingpin movement with the Indy Mids and they came loose all the time, which was disappointing because the tech involved with those baseplates seemed like it would solve that problem. Unfortunately it didn't for me. The inverted Slappys are a definite upgrade over the Indy Mids. The addition of the Ace Baseplates were just a fun opportunity to play mad scientist, inspired by the recommendation of a great contributor to this board.

There was nothing wrong with the Slappy baseplates whatsoever, even after about a year's worth of honest wear. The Ace baseplates just happened to be a little lighter, a little stronger, and looked a lot cooler. I was also happy to see how everyone else loved the look of a black baseplate with a raw hanger, because that happened to be the color configuration I ended up with.

[close]

You’re welcome!

I’m a month into skating my slappy/ace hybrids and still extremely happy with my choices.

Besides the lower height, what’s the advantage? Aces grind worse (too soft).

Dmng

• Rep: 10
« Reply #324 on: March 12, 2024, 09:03:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The old kingpin should work fine, but I would recommend using a brand new kingpin nut to JB weld into the baseplate, so that your trucks won't loosen up as easily.

I don’t have Slappy yet. I was thinking about getting hollow inverted Slappy and put it on my ace, ideally reusing the inverted (new) kingpin of the Slappy as it’s hollow + JB weld it

Else, do you know if I can find some good inverted hollow kingpin in Europe ?

herecomesaregular

• Rep: 6
« Reply #325 on: March 12, 2024, 11:42:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

You’re welcome!

[close]

I’m using the ace plates with Slappy hanger (not the other way around), exactly BECAUSE the Slappy metal grinds so much better.

Tiltmode Army Reservist

• RIP Ben Raemers
« Reply #326 on: March 12, 2024, 06:38:58 PM »

There's a (slight) weight reduction with the forged Ace AF-1 Baseplate, and I think they look cooler than the soon-to-be previous generation Slappy Baseplate. I will try the forged Slappy Baseplates when those come out though, especially if there is a color option (black would be so rad).

The Slappy hanger is made out of a stronger aluminum so they'll last longer than the Ace Hangers, and I don't do enough (any) nose or tailslides to worry about wearing out that one part of either Ace baseplate.
RIP Ben Raemers

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #327 on: March 12, 2024, 10:20:43 PM »

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #328 on: March 13, 2024, 01:12:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

You’re welcome!

[close]

[close]

I’m using the ace plates with Slappy hanger (not the other way around), exactly BECAUSE the Slappy metal grinds so much better.
Thanks - my bad. Of course. You are using the slappy hanger. Does the longer kingpin bother you?

Tiltmode Army Reservist

• RIP Ben Raemers
« Reply #329 on: March 13, 2024, 03:46:29 AM »
Does the longer kingpin bother you?

Mine don't, but I also happen to use a shorter inverted hollow kingpin (from the Krux K4's, they're sometimes called "Pink Labels" because Krux used to sell them individually in a clear bag with a pink label. Hopefully Krux brings those back because a lot of people realized how great those were after Krux stopped making them.). If you skate tight trucks you might run out of thread on the inverted kingpins, and/or the kingpin might start to make contact with the bottom of your deck which could cause more damage if you're jumping down things with your board. A good set of shock pads would help with that.
RIP Ben Raemers