Author Topic: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair's new brand)  (Read 41752 times)

herecomesaregular

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair's new brand)
« Reply #330 on: March 13, 2024, 06:29:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Someone on the Ace Thread (I don't know how to tag them, but their screenname is Here Comes A Regular) mentioned that a Slappy hanger fits perfectly on an Ace baseplate, and they work really well together. At the time I happened to be converting a pair of forged Ace baseplates to work with an inverted kingpin (JB Weld holding a kingpin nut under the baseplate), so I figured it was worth a try. Once the JB Weld cured, I set those baseplates up with my hollow Slappy hangers, and that shit changed my life. I'm not sure if it works better (there may be a placebo effect going on), but it definitely didn't get worse. The turns and grinds felt great, the grind clearance improved dramatically, and everything felt just as stable as before (didn't suddenly become way too loose). I bought a pair of Slappy Trucks after my frustration with my Indy Mids brought me to a breaking point: I had a LOT of lateral kingpin movement with the Indy Mids and they came loose all the time, which was disappointing because the tech involved with those baseplates seemed like it would solve that problem. Unfortunately it didn't for me. The inverted Slappys are a definite upgrade over the Indy Mids. The addition of the Ace Baseplates were just a fun opportunity to play mad scientist, inspired by the recommendation of a great contributor to this board.

There was nothing wrong with the Slappy baseplates whatsoever, even after about a year's worth of honest wear. The Ace baseplates just happened to be a little lighter, a little stronger, and looked a lot cooler. I was also happy to see how everyone else loved the look of a black baseplate with a raw hanger, because that happened to be the color configuration I ended up with.

I am still curious about those new forged Slappy baseplates. If Slappy offers them in black, with a raw hollow hanger, and an inverted kingpin option, I'll have money ready.
[close]

You’re welcome!

I’m a month into skating my slappy/ace hybrids and still extremely happy with my choices.
[close]

Besides the lower height, what’s the advantage? Aces grind worse (too soft).
[close]

I’m using the ace plates with Slappy hanger (not the other way around), exactly BECAUSE the Slappy metal grinds so much better.
[close]
Thanks - my bad. Of course. You are using the slappy hanger. Does the longer kingpin bother you?

Nah. AF-1’s have plenty of grind clearance as is.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #331 on: March 16, 2024, 10:55:59 AM »
Someone on the Ace Thread (I don't know how to tag them, but their screenname is Here Comes A Regular) mentioned that a Slappy hanger fits perfectly on an Ace baseplate, and they work really well together. At the time I happened to be converting a pair of forged Ace baseplates to work with an inverted kingpin (JB Weld holding a kingpin nut under the baseplate), so I figured it was worth a try. Once the JB Weld cured, I set those baseplates up with my hollow Slappy hangers, and that shit changed my life.

I'm not sure if it works better (there may be a placebo effect going on), but it definitely didn't get worse. The turns and grinds felt great, the grind clearance (which was already great) improved dramatically, and everything felt just as stable as before. Also they maintain at the level of tightness I like, and I'm only having to tighten them once every few sessions, which is incredible. I bought a pair of Slappy Trucks after my frustration with my Indy Mids brought me to a breaking point: I had a LOT of lateral kingpin movement with the Indy Mids AND they came loose all the time, which was disappointing because the tech involved with those baseplates seemed like it would solve all of the problems associated with inverted kingpin trucks. Unfortunately they didn't work for me, and from reading around over here, it sounds like they didn't work for a lot of people (including the pros who had their names on those particular type of trucks). The inverted Slappys are a definite upgrade over the Indy Mids, and the addition of the Ace Baseplates were just a fun opportunity to play mad scientist, inspired by the recommendation of a great contributor to this board.

There was nothing wrong with the Slappy baseplates whatsoever, even after about a year's worth of honest wear. Those are now set up on my cruiser, where they are enjoying semi-retirement life. The Ace baseplates just happened to be a little lighter, a little stronger, and looked a lot cooler. I was also happy to see how everyone else loved the look of a black baseplate with a raw hanger, because that happened to be the color configuration I ended up with.

I am still curious about those new forged Slappy baseplates. If Slappy offers them in black, with a raw hollow hanger, and an inverted kingpin option, I'll have money ready.

There's one thing I don't like about the baseplate. The logo is sharp enough to cut you. I like to fondle my gear
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Curbfiend

• Rep: 4
« Reply #332 on: March 16, 2024, 04:05:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Someone on the Ace Thread (I don't know how to tag them, but their screenname is Here Comes A Regular) mentioned that a Slappy hanger fits perfectly on an Ace baseplate, and they work really well together. At the time I happened to be converting a pair of forged Ace baseplates to work with an inverted kingpin (JB Weld holding a kingpin nut under the baseplate), so I figured it was worth a try. Once the JB Weld cured, I set those baseplates up with my hollow Slappy hangers, and that shit changed my life.

I'm not sure if it works better (there may be a placebo effect going on), but it definitely didn't get worse. The turns and grinds felt great, the grind clearance (which was already great) improved dramatically, and everything felt just as stable as before. Also they maintain at the level of tightness I like, and I'm only having to tighten them once every few sessions, which is incredible. I bought a pair of Slappy Trucks after my frustration with my Indy Mids brought me to a breaking point: I had a LOT of lateral kingpin movement with the Indy Mids AND they came loose all the time, which was disappointing because the tech involved with those baseplates seemed like it would solve all of the problems associated with inverted kingpin trucks. Unfortunately they didn't work for me, and from reading around over here, it sounds like they didn't work for a lot of people (including the pros who had their names on those particular type of trucks). The inverted Slappys are a definite upgrade over the Indy Mids, and the addition of the Ace Baseplates were just a fun opportunity to play mad scientist, inspired by the recommendation of a great contributor to this board.

There was nothing wrong with the Slappy baseplates whatsoever, even after about a year's worth of honest wear. Those are now set up on my cruiser, where they are enjoying semi-retirement life. The Ace baseplates just happened to be a little lighter, a little stronger, and looked a lot cooler. I was also happy to see how everyone else loved the look of a black baseplate with a raw hanger, because that happened to be the color configuration I ended up with.

[close]

There's one thing I don't like about the baseplate. The logo is sharp enough to cut you. I like to fondle my gear

For real. I like looking at my trucks inspecting the grooves forming. Had to pass some sandpaper over the logo to take down the edges.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #333 on: March 17, 2024, 05:06:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

For real. I like looking at my trucks inspecting the grooves forming. Had to pass some sandpaper over the logo to take down the edges.

That's a good idea.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Dawatermelongoblin

• Rep: 1
« Reply #334 on: March 19, 2024, 02:39:58 PM »
Been skating these for a couple weeks. Replaced top washer with a slightly bigger one to prevent them from bubbling over (which they did prior). Bushings started cracking after first session and after about a week they have started shredding big time and I have not cranked the nut down at all, completely flush. Swapped with some doh dohs cause that’s all my local had. Hoping they fix the bushings in the future. Overall, enjoying the trucks.

Nudelholz

• Rep: 0
« Reply #335 on: March 21, 2024, 01:06:19 AM »
Since the top bushings were immediately shredded, I Put some Indy 90a standard cylinder bushings in these bad boys after the first session. Now they are my favorite truck by far! As if Indy and Ace had a beautiful bastard son.

ridethegutter

• Rep: 62
« Reply #336 on: March 21, 2024, 06:03:59 AM »
Since the top bushings were immediately shredded, I Put some Indy 90a standard cylinder bushings in these bad boys after the first session. Now they are my favorite truck by far! As if Indy and Ace had a beautiful bastard son.

I use Indy bushings as well.

Dawatermelongoblin

• Rep: 1
« Reply #337 on: March 23, 2024, 10:45:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just put some Indy bushings in mine as well. Do they change the geometry at all or are they roughly the same size as the stock slappy bushings?

Nudelholz

• Rep: 0
« Reply #338 on: March 25, 2024, 06:57:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Just put some Indy bushings in mine as well. Do they change the geometry at all or are they roughly the same size as the stock slappy bushings?

Bottom bushings have the same height, so geometry is the same. Top bushing is higher so maybe less kingpin clearance. Sinclair confirmed it via IG message.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #339 on: March 26, 2024, 07:33:42 PM »

Getting closer! Probably two weeks or so...

Tiltmode Army Reservist

• Rep: 22
  • RIP Ben Raemers
« Reply #340 on: March 27, 2024, 04:25:36 AM »

Getting closer! Probably two weeks or so...

It is wild how a piece of metal can generate so many enthusiastic feelings. That improved hex bed really has my eye too. Hope the black ones make it to market along with the gold, red, and blue.
RIP Ben Raemers

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #341 on: March 27, 2024, 11:52:10 AM »
Black/Raw plates aren't coming in this drop...weird. Guess adding some color is more important than sales? Really wish they'd sell the forged plates, at least in silver (and their bushings) separately.

Improved Hex bed is a welcome addition, tho I never had (or read about) anyone getting any issues with the 'wedged' in nut coming loose/falling out?

Still wish they were lower...but 'best grind clearance' is there thing (and unmatched tbh)...just have to settle for lighter/stronger.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #342 on: March 31, 2024, 12:03:10 AM »
Looking at doing a dedicated slappy setup and thinking about these trucks, can anyone give the low down on how much they shift wheelbase and ride feel vs Indy / Ace?

Coming from Ventures and wanted to stay with the Mighty-V but 6.1s are impossible to find.

Edit - did some searching, +3.1" so similar to a Indy forged, still keen to hear about the ride feel
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #343 on: March 31, 2024, 05:51:27 PM »
Looking at doing a dedicated slappy setup and thinking about these trucks, can anyone give the low down on how much they shift wheelbase and ride feel vs Indy / Ace?

Coming from Ventures and wanted to stay with the Mighty-V but 6.1s are impossible to find.

Edit - did some searching, +3.1" so similar to a Indy forged, still keen to hear about the ride feel

They ride like Theeves.

Not as floppy/or squirrly as ACE
Not as slow as Indy

They are much quicker to get back to center (and stay there) than ACE/Indy.

The top washer, depending on how loose you ride, does bind (less wheelbite they say!) - going to a flat top/bones washer fixes this (but does lead to wheelbite if you ride loose).

The bushings are soft, if you ride tight better to swap them out. Indy are the same height for bottoms...the slappy top is essentially a LOW (hence the additional grind clearance).

They grind better than both. No joke. Fight me.

Looking forward to grabbing some 8.5" forged.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #344 on: March 31, 2024, 07:05:09 PM »
Thanks @Xen - going through some gear madness and a funk session wise, thought a change up of gear would be fun and finally learn some slappys. Got some Indy 149 TI off a pal a few weeks ago, will give them a shot this weekend.

I ordered a pair of the 8.5 / 8.75 hollows which are pretty tall coming from Venture forged.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #345 on: March 31, 2024, 07:43:04 PM »
Thanks @Xen - going through some gear madness and a funk session wise, thought a change up of gear would be fun and finally learn some slappys. Got some Indy 149 TI off a pal a few weeks ago, will give them a shot this weekend.

I ordered a pair of the 8.5 / 8.75 hollows which are pretty tall coming from Venture forged.

The height, if you are used to indy is super easy to adjust to; I'm usually riding 52mm trucks and even tho it's 1.4mm difference you can feel it; even coming off forged ventures you can feel but that's the geo as the slappy geo is def in the ace indy camp so at that height it can feel tippy, especially on narrow trucks (for me).

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #346 on: March 31, 2024, 08:22:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The height, if you are used to indy is super easy to adjust to; I'm usually riding 52mm trucks and even tho it's 1.4mm difference you can feel it; even coming off forged ventures you can feel but that's the geo as the slappy geo is def in the ace indy camp so at that height it can feel tippy, especially on narrow trucks (for me).

Another good excuse to swap from Venture 5.8 to Indy 149 TI on my current setup - acclimate to the Slappy trucks!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #347 on: March 31, 2024, 10:17:49 PM »
Ment to say even coming off CAST ventures you can fee the height change (but based on geo since at 53.5 they are much closer to indy forged/slappy).

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #348 on: April 01, 2024, 02:50:15 PM »
This week!

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #349 on: April 01, 2024, 07:15:44 PM »
Just weight reduction but height remains the the same? Sounds like a wasted opportunity to create a more versatile truck, but would add more SKUs to manage for a small company.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #350 on: April 02, 2024, 10:54:21 AM »
I agree, was hoping for them to be lower but doing so would wipe some of their grind clearance …

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -331
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #351 on: April 09, 2024, 02:11:18 PM »
Tried out a set of the hollows Slappy courtesy of @Uncle Flea  man these are sweet as fuck. Takes the best part of venture/thunder geometry and the profile of Indy's,  highly recommend these for short wheelbase board's.
Dueces Bitch's

herecomesaregular

« Reply #352 on: April 17, 2024, 08:13:55 PM »
Slappy lights are excellent.

All the good things about the originals, but actually feel noticeably lighter and idk if it’s placebo effect or legit, but they feel like they turn better too.

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 8
« Reply #353 on: April 18, 2024, 04:52:41 AM »

All the good things about the originals, but actually feel noticeably lighter and idk if it’s placebo effect or legit, but they feel like they turn better too.

Sci-fi deck and slappy trucks, you are truly living in the future.

I considered trying the lights out, but I'm scared to introduce another truck into my constant madness flip flopping.

CarcassToss

• Rep: 24
« Reply #354 on: April 18, 2024, 07:08:27 AM »
I had set and they were definitely really nice, but for some reason didn't really wow me enough to stick with them. They pinch better than Indy or Ace and the grind is nice, pop feel I got used to more or less but like it was mentioned I've come to find that I don't love the tippy feeling of a tall 8.25 truck. I dunno why I didn't get 8.5s.

I will say that the name really turns a lot of people off of the brand. It's dumb, but almost any other random word would have been better. Most truck brands are random words and associating them with a form of skating that lots of people not over age 35 find less interesting or possibly corny isn't doing much for them.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #355 on: April 18, 2024, 07:18:25 AM »
I had set and they were definitely really nice, but for some reason didn't really wow me enough to stick with them. They pinch better than Indy or Ace and the grind is nice, pop feel I got used to more or less but like it was mentioned I've come to find that I don't love the tippy feeling of a tall 8.25 truck. I dunno why I didn't get 8.5s.

I will say that the name really turns a lot of people off of the brand. It's dumb, but almost any other random word would have been better. Most truck brands are random words and associating them with a form of skating that lots of people not over age 35 find less interesting or possibly corny isn't doing much for them.
I agree, is a terrible name alongside Umaverse
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Rick Trapasso

« Reply #356 on: April 18, 2024, 07:39:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Should've just named them Sinclair's

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #357 on: April 18, 2024, 08:21:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Should've just named them Sinclair's

I would be down for a Sinclair's spectrum aesthetic trucks

herecomesaregular

« Reply #358 on: April 18, 2024, 10:34:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I considered trying the lights out, but I'm scared to introduce another truck into my constant madness flip flopping.

Lol in my defense….eh I got nothin.

What are you flip flopping between? These are closest to ace af-1s in feel but slightly less squirrelly and better grind.

Rick Trapasso

« Reply #359 on: April 18, 2024, 01:52:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Lol in my defense….eh I got nothin.

What are you flip flopping between? These are closest to ace af-1s in feel but slightly less squirrelly and better grind.

Indys and thunders.

Turn vs snap.

Catch me in those threads and the madness thread lol.

Not trying to detail the slappy thread though, this is the last thing I'll say about that.