Author Topic: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair's new brand)  (Read 47995 times)

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 257
Re: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair's new brand)
« Reply #390 on: May 23, 2024, 01:40:34 AM »
My local has some aftermarket bushings in 90a for slappy trucks. Does anyone know what the OG durometer for these trucks is? Are 90a softer than stock bushings?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #391 on: May 23, 2024, 04:21:56 AM »
My local has some aftermarket bushings in 90a for slappy trucks. Does anyone know what the OG durometer for these trucks is? Are 90a softer than stock bushings?

I thought their stock bushings were 90 duro.

They did have a couple of options in different duros in aftermarket bushings though, from what I saw or read.

* Trying to find any more info but I can't see anything about them anywhere right now, including any other duro options for their aftermarket bushings as well.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 04:33:47 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #392 on: May 23, 2024, 06:26:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought their stock bushings were 90 duro.

They did have a couple of options in different duros in aftermarket bushings though, from what I saw or read.

* Trying to find any more info but I can't see anything about them anywhere right now, including any other duro options for their aftermarket bushings as well.

Thanks!
I didn’t find any info neither. Wasn’t sure about the stock duro

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #393 on: May 23, 2024, 08:38:57 AM »
The stocks are supposedly 90a but feel harder to me.

There was a pic on insta when they first announced, black or brownish hard(er) bushings....they were to be sold individually or together with the softs so you could mix duros. They never launched.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #394 on: May 23, 2024, 10:59:57 AM »
The stocks are supposedly 90a but feel harder to me.

There was a pic on insta when they first announced, black or brownish hard(er) bushings....they were to be sold individually or together with the softs so you could mix duros. They never launched.

Thanks. So the aftermarket ones are the same duro as the stock ones.

pops

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 263
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #395 on: May 23, 2024, 11:13:38 AM »
These slappies are weird but not in bad way. They turn pretty quick when you lean and have a nice turning radius, but then stop like theres a bit of resistance before I hit wheelbite and I had to actually try to get one. Felt really stable even at high speeds and I loosened my trucks from the stock tightness. Im not really used to these just yet. They feel weirdly turny and stable at the same time. Didnt get to grind these yet.

smg1138

• Rep: 64
« Reply #396 on: May 23, 2024, 12:28:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Slappy stock bushings will be too soft for me. Do Indy replacement bushings fit in them right?

Amocat

• Rep: 2
« Reply #397 on: May 23, 2024, 01:59:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Slappy stock bushings will be too soft for me. Do Indy replacement bushings fit in them right?

yea, i'm running indy bushings in mine, mini logo are also pretty close as well.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #398 on: May 23, 2024, 02:09:56 PM »

Indy/venture bottoms are the same size as slappy bottoms.

Slappy tops are low tops, even lower than Ace low tops (and let’s be real Ace tops are huge).

Any standard top bushing will fit you’re just going to lose a few mm of grind clearance compared to stock.

ARealWombat

• Rep: 4
« Reply #399 on: May 24, 2024, 08:18:26 AM »

Hell yeah! I messaged Slappy a few months ago asking if there were any plans for a low truck and they just responded "We're working on something now", but then when they released the forged plate with the same height update I was a little disappointed because I thought that was all they had in mind - really cool to see that they did have something planned and delivered.

I normally skate Ventures just because I'm always on 14" wheelbase boards and the extended axles on the Ventures compliments that well, but I tried a set of the original Slappy's and liked a lot of things about them - If I ever get a 14.25" board I think I'll bust them out again or try the new Low's once they're out.
I like this company and how they've been engaging with the community, and they're starting to get a really solid lineup of products. They repost a lot of fan content on their IG when people tag them and answer our spastic truck-madness emails. I want to see Slappy succeed.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #400 on: May 24, 2024, 08:52:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Hell yeah! I messaged Slappy a few months ago asking if there were any plans for a low truck and they just responded "We're working on something now", but then when they released the forged plate with the same height update I was a little disappointed because I thought that was all they had in mind - really cool to see that they did have something planned and delivered.

I normally skate Ventures just because I'm always on 14" wheelbase boards and the extended axles on the Ventures compliments that well, but I tried a set of the original Slappy's and liked a lot of things about them - If I ever get a 14.25" board I think I'll bust them out again or try the new Low's once they're out.
I like this company and how they've been engaging with the community, and they're starting to get a really solid lineup of products. They repost a lot of fan content on their IG when people tag them and answer our spastic truck-madness emails. I want to see Slappy succeed.

They must be doing something right as they keep expanding the line-up.

ARealWombat

« Reply #401 on: May 24, 2024, 09:01:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[img]https://i.imgur.com/vhfarS9.jpg[./img]
[close]

[close]

Yeah my only concern is I'm hoping they don't stretch themselves too thin with all their offerings.
It may be smart, I'd think, to just standardize the forged plate and not have both cast and forged offerings assuming they're the same height anyway - but looks like the lows are going to launch with cast plates first(?)

As long as it all keeps selling good and they have their production numbers dialed in, which seems to be the case.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #402 on: May 24, 2024, 11:09:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Yeah my only concern is I'm hoping they don't stretch themselves too thin with all their offerings.
It may be smart, I'd think, to just standardize the forged plate and not have both cast and forged offerings assuming they're the same height anyway - but looks like the lows are going to launch with cast plates first(?)

As long as it all keeps selling good and they have their production numbers dialed in, which seems to be the case.

Yes, lows are shipping as cast plates first.

Lots of folks prefer the feel of cast over forged; having skated both slappy variants, the difference in feel is much less noticeable compared to say, a Thunder.

ARealWombat

« Reply #403 on: May 24, 2024, 12:34:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes, lows are shipping as cast plates first.

Lots of folks prefer the feel of cast over forged; having skated both slappy variants, the difference in feel is much less noticeable compared to say, a Thunder.
I bet part of the reason the difference between cast and forged is less noticeable in the Slappy trucks is because for most manufacturers, the forged plates are typically thinner than the cast. Since Slappy has the same thickness on both that takes away one significant variable.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #404 on: May 24, 2024, 12:51:22 PM »
^^ yup

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #405 on: May 24, 2024, 11:12:34 PM »
Expand Quote
went home yesterday and checked the other truck and it was also bottomed out. I honestly don't know it my set came with either extra short top bushings, a kingpin that didn't have enough thread cut in, or a combination of the two...or if it's exactly as designed. I've only had the standard slappy trucks before this so I can't compare it to anything, nor have I even come across the IKP versions in person before. Anyway I sent a message to their insta and they replied quickly. It was suggested by them to try a harder bushing rather than a taller one, so I went with the boned hard and it seemed to work out fine enough. I think it's roughly close in height to the stock bushing. However I did try the ace top bushing, which is a lot taller, and I think it feels better, but I'll stick with slappy's suggestion for the time being though to see if I can get used to it quickly. I'm sure it will be fine.
[close]

Yeah, using a tall bushing cuts down grind clearance but fixes the issue. They def changed something, feels like a pin with fewer threads if this is showing up in standard IKP and the new forged.

The ikp is definitely bottoming out. This picture is with just the kingpin in the base plate screwed all the way down, no bushings. This is as far as it can go. With the stock bushings you’ll have fewer threads showing and it’s pretty loose. With some blue 92s indy aftermarkets, It’s acceptable at nut flush turn wise but I can’t tighten it any further because of the taller top bushing.

finecojeffe

• Rep: 141
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #406 on: May 25, 2024, 04:51:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
went home yesterday and checked the other truck and it was also bottomed out. I honestly don't know it my set came with either extra short top bushings, a kingpin that didn't have enough thread cut in, or a combination of the two...or if it's exactly as designed. I've only had the standard slappy trucks before this so I can't compare it to anything, nor have I even come across the IKP versions in person before. Anyway I sent a message to their insta and they replied quickly. It was suggested by them to try a harder bushing rather than a taller one, so I went with the boned hard and it seemed to work out fine enough. I think it's roughly close in height to the stock bushing. However I did try the ace top bushing, which is a lot taller, and I think it feels better, but I'll stick with slappy's suggestion for the time being though to see if I can get used to it quickly. I'm sure it will be fine.
[close]

Yeah, using a tall bushing cuts down grind clearance but fixes the issue. They def changed something, feels like a pin with fewer threads if this is showing up in standard IKP and the new forged.

[close]

The ikp is definitely bottoming out. This picture is with just the kingpin in the base plate screwed all the way down, no bushings. This is as far as it can go. With the stock bushings you’ll have fewer threads showing and it’s pretty loose. With some blue 92s indy aftermarkets, It’s acceptable at nut flush turn wise but I can’t tighten it any further because of the taller top bushing.

Are these kingpins the shortest on the market? If not, then the shorter ones would be the solution to keeping the slappy top bush long and keeping the full grind clearance

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #407 on: May 25, 2024, 05:30:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Are these kingpins the shortest on the market? If not, then the shorter ones would be the solution to keeping the slappy top bush long and keeping the full grind clearance

ROYAL  |  SLAPPY  |  INDY  |  KRUX (old 'down low' style)

All but Krux not cross-compatible as the threading is different in the 'shaft nuts' (Krux only works in Indy).

I've seen someone with the old krux in the first gen (cast) IKP slappy plates - not sure how they did it because I couldn't get mine to go in either.

CarcassToss

• Rep: 72
« Reply #408 on: May 25, 2024, 05:48:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Do you define "engaging with the community" as not selling into skate shops and doing an exclusive deal with Zumiez? Getting YouTubers as early adopters and paid reviewers? 1 step removed from the Cariuma playbook.

I've resisted heading into this thread for a long time cuz I don't wanna be tempted and they sound great in a ton of ways. Kind of like what I wanted AF1 to be. But their initial push rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #409 on: May 25, 2024, 06:28:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Do you define "engaging with the community" as not selling into skate shops and doing an exclusive deal with Zumiez? Getting YouTubers as early adopters and paid reviewers? 1 step removed from the Cariuma playbook.

I've resisted heading into this thread for a long time cuz I don't wanna be tempted and they sound great in a ton of ways. Kind of like what I wanted AF1 to be. But their initial push rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

It is interesting that there were the Zumiez exclusives, as had been mentioned before, but has that now turned around completely because I don't see any Slappy products on the Zumiez site???

https://www.zumiez.com/brands/slappy-truck-co

I am not in USA so don't know if they still have them in stores, or whatever is going on, but maybe there was a change in direction and they are now only in other shops?

Just something to check / see any which way.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #410 on: May 25, 2024, 06:30:06 PM »

***  Not sure what is going on but they do actually show up with some trucks when searching just the word SLAPPY.

https://www.zumiez.com/search/slappy

Just the curb creeper series, a couple of shirts and clearance regular 8.5 silver polished truck in stock.

Who clears out regular / standard lines??

finecojeffe

• Rep: 141
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #411 on: May 25, 2024, 07:18:42 PM »
Quote from: Xen

ROYAL  |  SLAPPY  |  INDY  |  KRUX (old 'down low' style)

[url=https://ibb.co/Z6BpgTK
[/url]

All but Krux not cross-compatible as the threading is different in the 'shaft nuts' (Krux only works in Indy).

I've seen someone with the old krux in the first gen (cast) IKP slappy plates - not sure how they did it because I couldn't get mine to go in either.

Thanks! I assumed all kp were same thread just different heights. Strange.

CarcassToss

« Reply #412 on: May 25, 2024, 07:56:25 PM »
I take back about the part about not being in many local shops- they definitely are available from many shops with an online presence, just hadn't seen them in the shops I frequent online or in person.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #413 on: May 25, 2024, 08:08:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

When has Slappy not sold into skateshops?

I've purchased [all] my Slappy trucks from CORE shops...Oh, you mean those buttfucking ugly exclusives he gave zumiez? Who honestly gives a fuck? That Zumiez money gave him a leg up to keep the brand going; and I call bullshit if you wouldn't do the same damn thing trying to get a [truck] brand off the ground when facing the [truck] industy cartels.

Zumiez has an exclusive Nike SB Air Max Ishod colorway...boycott/hate Nike? Fuck Ishod right?
Zumiez has an exclusive Adidas Gazelle ADV colorway...fuck them too.

Have you ever purchased anything from Skatewarehouse? Tactics? CCS?

Paying reviewers bad. Flowing product to 'Tubers? Fine if the toobers keep it legit. Tell me you never watched a BenD vid or stopped once he started getting product. Don't watch DadBoard? 

I fully understand the Zumiez hate but they were, at one time, a single CORE shop setup in the late 70s (yes in a mall, big deal), expanded and changed the name. They also have a 'give back' foundation (sure, probably a tax write off) but it appears limited as to who can launder...donate money and the employees are involved.

***  Not sure what is going on but they do actually show up with some trucks when searching just the word SLAPPY.

https://www.zumiez.com/search/slappy

Just the curb creeper series, a couple of shirts and clearance regular 8.5 silver polished truck in stock.

Who clears out regular / standard lines??

I'm not entirely sure they ever did carry them? If they did, maybe it was just part of the initial 'we'll order if you give us some colorways" which is damn funny as no one is buying those colorways...Sinclair probably giggling at the check amount for ugly trucks and getting a foot into a retailer that serves a huge population and getting that name out.

I'm a fan of them, they turn and grind great; I am, however, massively dissapointed in the forged IKP shit I'm facing by being unable to tighten them enough using stock bushings and how trashfuck the stock bushings are.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 08:15:45 PM by Xen »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 46
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #414 on: May 26, 2024, 01:24:06 AM »
Is there ever been a truck with IKP that worked? (Stock ofc)
I keep seeing people getting them and never a good thing a about them.
Sir, I'm going to politely, but firmly, ask you and your common sense to leave this establishment.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #415 on: May 26, 2024, 02:52:20 AM »
Is there ever been a truck with IKP that worked? (Stock ofc)
I keep seeing people getting them and never a good thing a about them.

I think a lot of people loved Grind King trucks, although I never had any growing up and only have acquired some from bulk lots of trade in used / old / second hand stock, none of which I had put on a board as they are all under 8" but pretty sure the inverted kingpin options on most of the older trucks just had a basic nut secured in the baseplate they could swap out as needed, so none of this other stuff they have now where the whole baseplate has to be changed to make it work.

I also have some Silver trucks that do have the longer built in nut, again, never skated them, but others have loved them too at times.  They have a longer thread on the kingpin, like the first pic from @Xen too.

More than anything, I feel like these newer trucks just don't have enough threads on the kingpin, even another five or so threads would be plenty, just so you can take the kingpin down a little more if needed, as they seem quite limited in that regard.  I have to use a stock / regular height top bushing, as my low top bushings I usually use don't tighten down enough, but would have given a lot more clearance.

Maybe more of the DIY type versions or older versions just worked better, or the people using them didn't go as hard as some of the people did that bought the Indy mids, or other current versions, then destroyed them and so they appear to have more issues than maybe they actually do.

I got a few sets of the Indy mids on sale and they have worked fine, or well enough with no issues, but I also saw first hand all the problems others were having with them, how they came apart, or the baseplate hole got bent with too much pressure, etc.

CarcassToss

« Reply #416 on: May 26, 2024, 08:45:21 AM »
I had Grind Kings as a kid and remembered they turned horribly, but looked cool to me at the time. No clue on how the IKP performed.

As for Slappy and Zumiez- early on they had sold into very few shops when they did the Zumiez collab. Clearly they have sold into more locals, so that criticism isn't valid. I do hold Tactics and CCS above Zumiez (the former more so) even if fundamentally they all sell skateboards and gear. The big Z was closer to me as a kid so it was my local in a way and they did have decent stock there, but from what I know about CCS and Tactics they have teams comprised of local/lower level skaters they support, engage a lot with their local community, and seem to stock a wider range of brands including smaller brands. They seem to be more oriented towards skating than overall mall sales.

What I actually do like about Zumiez is they have always had decent price point decks and clothing. Empyre isn't cool and never was, but quality wise nas been on par with skate brands.

With Nike and Adidas you're right. I guess I've mentally given up caring about shoe companies because the bigger ones have made better shoes for a while. With Nike I never really expect much to begin with and don't like a lot of models, but like that they gave Leo shoes (that I like) and a bunch of their smaller models. I'm not an Adidas fan one bit I hate the way their shoes skate and their durability. My non skate Adidas have all been terrible.

I think the YouTube review avenue most brands go through is kinda shitty, but seems like it's here to stay in a lot of niche sports and hobbies. I guess I can't blame Slappy if they're not offering money. I've only read a few pages of reviews after a friend got a set. They seem nicer than modern Indy or Ace and I wonder if these be more popular if they chose a different name. If it were not for me being perfectly content on Ventures and waiting on Lurpivs I'd try them.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #417 on: May 26, 2024, 10:46:59 AM »
Any 'new' truck, hell even a revival (Grind king, Royal, Fury...let's be real, no one thought GK was gonna make a come back) is almost destined for failure.

They have three things going for them because they are true:

Grind, literally the best out; smooth feeling like ace classics but harder metal (like an ACE classic/indy hybrid). They grind amazing farther for me at the same spots with the same speed, so yeah, perfect for, well...um, slappys? Makes Royals feel even more like ventures here :(

Grind clearance, which is pretty insane again, the best out there (IKP or not) something I am really noticing when skating say...literally everything out there.

Less wheelbite (true) which has a lot to do with how they turn, i.e., they give you a lot of controllable movement (like thunder) in the intial turn/setup timing window, then slow down and smooth out (the latter is where I wheelbite with thunders...). These aren't a tight truck riders truck.

The name, I get it, capitalize on the slappy riders market (dominated by ACE and Indy)...naming a 'thing' is incredibly hard, I'm in the process of name creation with my team on a product (unrelated) and it's soooooo damn hard...everyone has a TM or (C) so you can't use what you want and the best option is always to just bonk people over the head with a name that describes what it actually is/is good for.

If you look at their insta, there is a lot of support, from them to the shops and community. Is it self serving? Sure is but they're selling a product and the best way to do that is show off your riders and shops that support you.

CarcassToss

« Reply #418 on: May 26, 2024, 12:16:24 PM »
I don't have social media and haven't since a bit after they launched. I'm glad they're a solid product and spreading their brand. It never hurts to have more options than the big few. Better grind is always tempting given I love Ventures, but I'm resisting changing anything on my setup but my wheels. It was a wild few years when I felt beholden to sticking with Ace/Indy and micro optimizing and then found a nice home with Ventures.

The IKP thing seems like it's a really easy solve. I wonder if they consciously limited it bc the threads marred on the sleeve?

smg1138

• Rep: 64
« Reply #419 on: May 26, 2024, 01:49:44 PM »
Does the no wheelbite thing on these trucks affect pinch on crooks?