Author Topic: Cons-As You Wish- Louie Lopez/Erik Herrera  (Read 21523 times)

Burton Ernie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Cons-As You Wish- Louie Lopez/Erik Herrera
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2022, 01:38:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Why do people think "the cover needs to be the make?" Where did this come from? It's been my understanding for literally decades that the photo in the magazine is just the best photo they shot and not necessarily the make.
[close]

the shadow of the plants on the wall is extremely close to the photo so if it isn't the make it's right around the same time, seems possible that the interested onlooker was photoshopped into the make from a prior attempt, as it does add to the photo... kinda like how fatbill will splice in a previous attempt if it has something happening in it (birds, cops, titties, etc).

Or maybe it’s just a different shot than the make.

Pooh Drunx

• Rep: -61
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2022, 01:40:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
nyjah: insane stunts, no style, unique
tyshawn: insane pop, mediocre style, unique
louie: great alround skater, no style, not unique

my soty goes to nyjah.. barely.. mainly because he derves it, not just for this years output (i know its skater of the year, but still) but for his contribution to progressing skateboarding like no other. and this year is probably his last at this level. tyshawn gets a close second, he is also the best at his thing, but having won it before it would require some extraordinary shit for him to take it again, plus having less competition. louie imo, isnt even close. there is nothing about him worth remebering, he is just a great but bland skateboarder.
[close]

RIP your rep
[close]

kind of agree with bohemian on Louis being bland and forgettable, altho Louis' level of skating is insanely high. The only trick I can ever remember him doing (besides the ones in the new part) is a backside 5-0 fs flip out on a ledge, in a line. His style is not bad, just generic and flawless. Just a grownup skatepark kid kinda style. Not my cup of tea.

This is crazy.... Imagine watching louie skate and feeling this way. then watching tyshawn skate next to trash cans on flat in wacky clothes thinking its the best skating the world has ever seen. thats wild.

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 79
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2022, 01:44:55 PM »
one of the things I love about Louie is that he doesn’t really appear to have “go-to” tricks. it just kinda seems like he can do basically every trick? most skaters have some tricks that show up frequently in their skating but Louie’s bag is seemingly neverending. makes you wonder how he even decides what trick to do when he rolls up to a spot when his arsenal is so big.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2022, 01:45:18 PM »
I thought this has been known for years even sequences can be spliced together from previous attempts. @DGKALIS has broken this down before. The main thing is he landed it, it's only a controversy if it's something like Penny's front blunt transworld cover or Dompierre's Bs Noseblunt Oceanside Hubba and generally it is on the photographer selling the photo not the actual skater.

CurbyPuckit

• Rep: -39
« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2022, 01:50:36 PM »
Expand Quote
looks like once again the shot of  the make was not the shot used for the photo:

notice there is a man talking on the phone at the bottom of the photo. in the video you can see clearly there is no one there at the bottom when he does it. also in the video version, there is a guy in a blue suit talking on his phone in the middle of the stairs. clown shoes think we wouldnt notice
[close]

How are you not aware that a photo is more often not the actual make that is on film? It's a story as old as time. Clown shoes is you posting this thinking they are trying to pull one over you.

Ryan Lee went from contributing filmer to top tier editor really quick. I hope he edits a Mason part next.

Give Louie his trophy. Well deserved.

It doesn’t matter that they didn’t use the make.  This happens all the fckin time.  You just use the best photo and that’s understood

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #155 on: December 05, 2022, 01:53:30 PM »
a few things

- remember when chocolate made that weird ass post about louie getting on chocolate, but no one was in on it, including lou? that was fun

- this entire video was fun

- louie makes me want to skate, tyshawn makes me feel bad about my pop, and nyjah is on some videogame shit. all would be good for SOTY in my eyes

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #156 on: December 05, 2022, 02:08:17 PM »
the fountain louie blunts is fucked. i watched the crew fuck with that spot one night. pretty sure no ones ever skated that before. kinda wild how many indianapolis clips are in this

QixHexagon

• Rep: 31
« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2022, 02:14:06 PM »
Louie has it all. Probably the best part of the year.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #158 on: December 05, 2022, 02:17:33 PM »
Music was on point !

Nice to hear some killing Joke, saw them with my dad 12 years ago
check my music

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #159 on: December 05, 2022, 02:18:55 PM »
the fountain louie blunts is fucked. i watched the crew fuck with that spot one night. pretty sure no ones ever skated that before. kinda wild how many indianapolis clips are in this

that blunt+the pop out made me yell out loud.

veritas

« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2022, 02:20:39 PM »
that ender section goes crazy

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #161 on: December 05, 2022, 02:21:53 PM »
Dude front feebed out of a building. Look at it closely.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 424
« Reply #162 on: December 05, 2022, 02:24:34 PM »
nyjah: insane stunts, no style, unique
tyshawn: insane pop, mediocre style, unique
louie: great alround skater, no style, not unique

my soty goes to nyjah.. barely.. mainly because he derves it, not just for this years output (i know its skater of the year, but still) but for his contribution to progressing skateboarding like no other. and this year is probably his last at this level. tyshawn gets a close second, he is also the best at his thing, but having won it before it would require some extraordinary shit for him to take it again, plus having less competition. louie imo, isnt even close. there is nothing about him worth remebering, he is just a great but bland skateboarder.

This is why we should require licenses for keyboards.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 159
« Reply #163 on: December 05, 2022, 02:28:55 PM »
The difference between Louie and Jah is so wast.. With Louie you get that creative skating with bangers, where it doesn't feel so calculated. Like hes out skating with homies, filming pieces of his part on tour on random spot and having fun, whereas Jahs part feels like he is out himself with a filmer crossing a list of in a very calculated way. All his part feels like skatepark parts basically, calculated and un-inspiring.

Tabletop

• Rep: -72
« Reply #164 on: December 05, 2022, 02:44:41 PM »
All I'm going to say is that blew my mind.
Some incredible skating in a very well edited and put together piece.

Good Luck Louie, I hope you win SOTY!

Murdercapital

• Rep: -22
« Reply #165 on: December 05, 2022, 02:58:15 PM »
one of the things I love about Louie is that he doesn’t really appear to have “go-to” tricks. it just kinda seems like he can do basically every trick? most skaters have some tricks that show up frequently in their skating but Louie’s bag is seemingly neverending. makes you wonder how he even decides what trick to do when he rolls up to a spot when his arsenal is so big.

I can't even remember his other parts but I strongly disagree based on this part.

I noticed a strong through-line of certain tricks and tendencies on stance/rotation, especially variations of pop shuvits, halfcab flips, backside flips, bs blunts, bs wallrides, fs grind transfers, and just a lot of "classic" tricks but done well on cool spots. Nothing wrong with that, just observing. Didn't pop off his nose once unless you count nollie halfcab flip out of the crooked grind, and just a couple switch tricks.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #166 on: December 05, 2022, 03:12:19 PM »
The difference between Louie and Jah is so wast.. With Louie you get that creative skating with bangers, where it doesn't feel so calculated. Like hes out skating with homies, filming pieces of his part on tour on random spot and having fun, whereas Jahs part feels like he is out himself with a filmer crossing a list of in a very calculated way. All his part feels like skatepark parts basically, calculated and un-inspiring.

the little shuv after the huge gap front shuv louie did seemed almost trolling compared to ninejahs fakie shuv in the line that could've been from me.

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 134
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #167 on: December 05, 2022, 04:07:41 PM »
Incredible skating to say the least. His fits have gotten so much better over the last few years. Music was horrible. Still think Tyshawn, T Funk, and Nyjah deserve it more

RE: "Music was horrible." Just curious, any song in particular. I was personally super hyped to see/hear Louie skate to   "Requiem", a Killing Joke classic. It was edited really well. His second song was whatever though.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #168 on: December 05, 2022, 04:31:32 PM »
I can’t be the only one who doesn’t feel much when I watch Louie parts. Like he’s obviously incredible at skateboarding but it somehow rarely moves me, maybe too textbook to the point of lacking style idk. I think this year is the closest I’ve come to caring about Louie lol. Tyshawn and T Funk parts have me on the edge of my seat. Louie does not have that effect. Tyshawn parts will get replayed forever by me, I rarely replay Louie parts. Unpopular Louie opinion I know. TJ4SOTY,no one else can do what he does. I’d take Gustav or T funk over Louie because they have more style.

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -215
« Reply #169 on: December 05, 2022, 04:32:29 PM »
Louie is the shit, love his style, and he'll for sure win SOTY but this isn't his year. Great part but it doesn't seem like he's out there putting it on the line like TJ, Nyjah and T-Funk. I don't think we've even begun to see his final form though, I expect even better parts in the future.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #170 on: December 05, 2022, 04:47:05 PM »
I thought this has been known for years even sequences can be spliced together from previous attempts. @DGKALIS has broken this down before. The main thing is he landed it, it's only a controversy if it's something like Penny's front blunt transworld cover or Dompierre's Bs Noseblunt Oceanside Hubba and generally it is on the photographer selling the photo not the actual skater.
I'm spacing on the examples now but I'm sure in videos they've even shown people redoing a roll away for the sequence. That said wasn't Snyder black listed from thrasher for a spliced together sequence

vinithebr

• Rep: -20
« Reply #171 on: December 05, 2022, 04:47:36 PM »
Holy shit

« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 04:54:36 PM by vinithebr »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #172 on: December 05, 2022, 05:00:50 PM »
I can’t be the only one who doesn’t feel much when I watch Louie parts. Like he’s obviously incredible at skateboarding but it somehow rarely moves me, maybe too textbook to the point of lacking style idk. I think this year is the closest I’ve come to caring about Louie lol. Tyshawn and T Funk parts have me on the edge of my seat. Louie does not have that effect. Tyshawn parts will get replayed forever by me, I rarely replay Louie parts. Unpopular Louie opinion I know. TJ4SOTY,no one else can do what he does. I’d take Gustav or T funk over Louie because they have more style.

Right here with ya dude. I never rewatch his parts, but appreciate his skating. I really don't think FA fits him either.

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #173 on: December 05, 2022, 05:02:26 PM »
Tyshawn style looks like a bamboo when the wind blows

Nyjah is Boring on board.

Louie is classy and stylish skate rat, that type of skate that  chill with friends after session.
Miss you Rusty Berings

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #174 on: December 05, 2022, 05:04:41 PM »
Holy shit

He was like oh you thought I was just gonna do a ride in grind

fergus

• Rep: 46
« Reply #175 on: December 05, 2022, 05:16:38 PM »
Loved it, I like that Louie wanted Erik to be part of this rather than have it as a solo part.

Soo many standout tricks but how Ben Chadourne managed to film the line at 8:50 and make it look good is insane. The dude really is one of the goats when it comes to filming.

Baby on Board

• Rep: 33
« Reply #176 on: December 05, 2022, 05:17:21 PM »
amazing part from louie but slightly disappointed. i thought he would grind the whole rail from his thrasher cover

You’re outta your goddamn mind if you think anyones grinding that whole rail

burkel

• Rep: -2
« Reply #177 on: December 05, 2022, 05:22:06 PM »
Louie Lopez feels like your little brother's best friend. Like the two of them show up at your house and Louie's not super impressive, just a skinny kid with adult braces. Then you go skate with them and he's one of the greatest skateboarders of all time.

That might sound weird, but it's what gives him this underdog appeal IMHO. Like he's just kind of smiling slyly at how competitive the SOTY race is and killing it regardless.

Great part. Heelflip nose grind off the bump was real sick.

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #178 on: December 05, 2022, 05:46:01 PM »
Holy shit

Dude I made the same clip! Crazy that it stood out to you as well.  The control for this one is tops. 
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 428
« Reply #179 on: December 05, 2022, 05:48:23 PM »
Can we talk about the video and not only the Louie part/SOTY thing?

Love Erik's skating, something clean and old school about it, simple tricks done well. He's absolutely perfect for Chocolate. Ender was amazing and he has the best back noseblunt out at the moment.

Can't believe Eddie re-did that gap to 5-o after that slam to the head. Kind of think he shouldn't have.

Louie killed it, too many amazing tricks to mention and tasteful to a t. He makes the diciest shit look easy (front feeble pop over!) The front nose pretzel at the Louvre must be the apotheosis of that trick.