Author Topic: Cons-As You Wish- Louie Lopez/Erik Herrera  (Read 21383 times)

Style Police

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
Re: Cons-As You Wish- Louie Lopez/Erik Herrera
« Reply #210 on: December 06, 2022, 08:08:21 AM »

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #211 on: December 06, 2022, 08:08:39 AM »
This was a fun watch all the way through. Louie is great. Herrera's fake tre in Miami was very cool. Sinaloa the next hot skate destination? Well maybe not.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #212 on: December 06, 2022, 08:15:23 AM »
We need more Louie gifs so all the dummies in this thread recognize what this man has done.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

SSBSTRS

• Rep: 6
« Reply #213 on: December 06, 2022, 08:28:39 AM »
Fakie 5-0 fakie big flip on the picnic table!!!

That has been a dream trick of mine for years, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen one done before.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #214 on: December 06, 2022, 08:49:00 AM »

That has been a dream trick of mine for years, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen one done before.

PJ's done it a lot, here's the one from Tricolor
https://youtu.be/9ps2tNLu4kA?t=1044

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 96
« Reply #215 on: December 06, 2022, 08:51:35 AM »

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #216 on: December 06, 2022, 08:52:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I can’t be the only one who doesn’t feel much when I watch Louie parts. Like he’s obviously incredible at skateboarding but it somehow rarely moves me, maybe too textbook to the point of lacking style idk. I think this year is the closest I’ve come to caring about Louie lol. Tyshawn and T Funk parts have me on the edge of my seat. Louie does not have that effect. Tyshawn parts will get replayed forever by me, I rarely replay Louie parts. Unpopular Louie opinion I know. TJ4SOTY,no one else can do what he does. I’d take Gustav or T funk over Louie because they have more style.
[close]

I think plenty of pros can do nearly every trick  TJ's does just not as high or far..he however hasn't had parts showing he can do a bunch of the tech  manual and rail stuff etc..people have been doing. Maybe he can and never films it. What we do know is a shitton of pros can pop flat ground tricks consistintely with ease..just not as far and high. I think really people forget the massive flip shit guys like decenzo and Joslin do down stuff or on ledges rails etc cuz nobody is into their style yet they ain't sniffing SOTY
[close]

Obviously he can't and that's not his thing. Neither is creativity. TJ is really fucking amazing at bouncing up, down and over things; that's his superpower. And packaging it in dramatic, slo-mo, instagram friendly clips. No wonder he's so successful and popular.

Manuals we haven’t seen much, he’s done some fucked up tricks on rails if you actually watch his parts. But yea he has his preferred lane just like most skaters.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #217 on: December 06, 2022, 09:12:13 AM »
Wow

Gammon_

• Rep: 0
« Reply #218 on: December 06, 2022, 09:52:46 AM »
Just watched in again, and wow. Every trick looks so smooth and easy, then its over a massive bump to bar or gap. Makes me want to skate, and maybe buy some pants. So Louie for sure is my W(ell)D(ressed)SOTY

Phao Lo

• Rep: 53
« Reply #219 on: December 06, 2022, 10:34:55 AM »

QixHexagon

• Rep: 31
« Reply #220 on: December 06, 2022, 10:46:18 AM »
I watched again and I noticed something I unconsciously liked about LL: he never bends his knees too much (or at all) when landing. Not even in gaps. Looks so effortless and classy.

tray

• Rep: 0
« Reply #221 on: December 06, 2022, 10:56:41 AM »
I watched again and I noticed something I unconsciously liked about LL: he never bends his knees too much (or at all) when landing. Not even in gaps. Looks so effortless and classy.

Agreed. I think the half cab heel is the best example of this.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #222 on: December 06, 2022, 10:56:50 AM »
smooth fucking operator. that will get several rewatches. too damn good. this guy has it.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #223 on: December 06, 2022, 11:00:20 AM »
That huge euro gap in the Raemers tee holy shit

Keep making gifs y’all. I feel like that’s a good way to appreciate and savor each trick within its own context. All the tricks are so gnarly the impact can be softened when they’re all hitting you at once can’t even comprehend. Might be what’s happening to all the naysayers in here or those that aren’t stoked by the footage. On the other hand, the insanity of someone like t funk is so exciting to watch.

Y’all nailed it by saying he maybe looks boring because he’s so dam smooth. Makes those independents look good. I tried to imagine tyshawn doing some of these tricks but idk if tyshawn can jump as much whereas tyshawn has insane pop. I guess NY versus LA skater could be a factor. Environmental factors.

The dude walking down the stairs also joins the group giving props to Louie lol. So sick. Louie for soty! Tyshawn already got his and is soty for life. We need some certified dill moments at the SOTY party

nothing's been the since same

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1136
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #224 on: December 06, 2022, 11:08:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I can’t be the only one who doesn’t feel much when I watch Louie parts. Like he’s obviously incredible at skateboarding but it somehow rarely moves me, maybe too textbook to the point of lacking style idk. I think this year is the closest I’ve come to caring about Louie lol. Tyshawn and T Funk parts have me on the edge of my seat. Louie does not have that effect. Tyshawn parts will get replayed forever by me, I rarely replay Louie parts. Unpopular Louie opinion I know. TJ4SOTY,no one else can do what he does. I’d take Gustav or T funk over Louie because they have more style.
[close]

Right here with ya dude. I never rewatch his parts, but appreciate his skating. I really don't think FA fits him either.
[close]

Samesies.
[close]
Ditto.
[close]
Room for one more?
[close]

Makes even less sense he was in with the IC crew back in their heyday
well not really. Kb was part of the disorganized fun crew and ic and louie nak and kb were all friends so I mean it makes sense

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #225 on: December 06, 2022, 02:06:05 PM »
Herrera’s gonna make me not hate inward heels and I don’t know if I’m ready for it

Overall I really enjoy what he’s bringing to the table right now - the simplicity, the quality, the flick, the not hideous clothing choices. Great style and very classic-Chocolate.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 03:17:55 PM by ToySanta »

who da thunk it

• Rep: -79
« Reply #226 on: December 06, 2022, 03:54:24 PM »
Does anyone know where the photo that guy was taking of Louie's 5050 transfer into the bank then launch down the stairs  at around 14 minutes in, would be? A photo of that would be sick. Might be hard to get a good angle in that alleyway

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Miss you Rusty Berings

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #228 on: December 06, 2022, 04:47:30 PM »
I think what separates this part from Nyjah’s “Need that” and Tyshawn’s “Play Dead” parts were the diversity of tricks and the way Louie executed them.

I was impressed by the gnarliness of Nyjahs part but he’s got weird jockish movement, kind of like Jagger Eaton that comes off clunky. Contrived is probably the best way to describe it. Like he’s trying to imitate or try too hard to make it look good. Also, while I am not trying to play down Jah’s part, it just didn’t have the most variety. He definitely played his strengths which is totally fine, but wasn’t the most entertaining for me.

For Tyshawn, his skating is more fun to watch than Nyjah, though I’m a sucker for powerful skating, and East Coast spots. However, his style can be a bit stiff. He lands like he’s got Forrest Gump leg braces. As well, he needs to get guys that can film him better. A lot of his clips have been butchered. His style has grown on me, but I feel skeptical about it still, and I feel like it’s because the butchered clips don’t give me a real presentation of his execution. Compared to Lou, not the most variety, but more than Jah, and I have to give him credit. He surprise me with some clips.

After watching Louie’s Cons part, I feel most confident saying he should get Soty this year. He’s got same similarities as two of my favorite SOTY’s of the past. Ishod, and Koston. Dudes that you feel can do it all. Can be creative. Have great trick and spot selection. At a pure talent level, I feel like Louie for sure exceeds the other nominees. He’s the most well balanced. The roll on crooked to half cab wallride thing, the nose bonk slide thing to five o. The gnarly feeble to drop and skating fast. He does everything so well. I’ll have to watch it again, but my biggest complaint would be the choice of his last two tricks for the part. I guess you could blame that on the editing.

Tdlr, Louie won SOTY with this Cons part in my opinion.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 06:23:14 PM by TurdyBird »
The chillest1

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #229 on: December 06, 2022, 05:50:22 PM »
Herrera’s gonna make me not hate inward heels and I don’t know if I’m ready for it

Overall I really enjoy what he’s bringing to the table right now - the simplicity, the quality, the flick, the not hideous clothing choices. Great style and very classic-Chocolate.

That's a beaut. I enjoyed his opening part more than I thought I would.

I also really liked the fs nose pretzels Louie did and forget to mention those in my earlier appreciation post.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #230 on: December 06, 2022, 10:07:32 PM »
I couldn’t pick a winner at this point, it’s silly to try.
They all deserve it.

dunc

• Rep: 49
« Reply #231 on: December 07, 2022, 12:33:52 AM »
Wow. Jaw was on the ground. I'm 44 I've seen a heap of skaters come and go and watched thousands of hours of skateboarding. Louie has style and finese like all the greats. But most of all he makes you want to go and skate. Even though his tricks are so difficult they translate across the screen as doable. Maybe its because he is a genuine skate rat and totally relatable. Maybe it's the big smile and enjoyment he seems to be having.
He is my pick for that silly award thingy. He even dresses at times like the trophy. 
Thanks for the beautiful skateboarding Mr Lopez.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #232 on: December 07, 2022, 12:53:28 AM »
Come as you are

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #233 on: December 07, 2022, 01:04:01 AM »
I think what separates this part from Nyjah’s “Need that” and Tyshawn’s “Play Dead” parts was the diversity of tricks and the way Louie executed them.

I was impressed by the gnarliness of Nyjahs part but he’s got weird jockish movement, kind of like Jagger Eaton that comes off clunky. Contrived is probably the best way to describe it. Like he’s trying to imitate or try too hard to make it look good. Also, while I am not trying to play down Jah’s part, it just didn’t have the most variety. He definitely played his strengths which is totally fine, but wasn’t the most entertaining for me.

For Tyshawn, his skating is more fun to watch than Nyjah, though I’m a sucker for powerful skating, and East Coast spots. However, his style can be a bit stiff. He lands like he’s got Forrest Gump leg braces. As well, he needs to get guys that can film him better. A lot of his clips have been butchered. His style has grown on me, but I feel skeptical about it still, and I feel like it’s because the butchered clips don’t give me a real presentation of his execution. Compared to Lou, not the most variety, but more than Jah, and I have to give him credit. He surprise me with some clips.

After watching Louie’s Cons part, I feel most confident saying he should get Soty this year. He’s got same similarities as two of my favorite SOTY’s of the past. Ishod, and Koston. Dudes that you feel can do it all. Can be creative. Have great trick and spot selection. At a pure talent level, I feel like Louie for sure exceeds the other nominees. He’s the most well balanced. The roll on crooked to half cab wallride thing, the nose bonk slide thing to five o. The gnarly feeble to drop and skating fast. He does everything so well. I’ll have to watch it again, but my biggest complaint would be the choice of his last two tricks for the part. I guess you could blame that on the editing.

Tdlr, Louie won SOTY with this Cons part in my opinion.
He's def the most balanced of the frontrunners. When it comes to recent SOTY's I'd add Wes Kremer into that mix in that they were just insanely balanced in what their parts provided. Silas too. They have gnarly stuff, tech stuff, skate fast, etc.

burner

• Rep: 86
« Reply #234 on: December 07, 2022, 06:41:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

PJ's done it a lot, here's the one from Tricolor
https://youtu.be/9ps2tNLu4kA?t=1044

Yeah, but not on a picnic table.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I think plenty of pros can do nearly every trick  TJ's does just not as high or far..he however hasn't had parts showing he can do a bunch of the tech  manual and rail stuff etc..people have been doing. Maybe he can and never films it. What we do know is a shitton of pros can pop flat ground tricks consistintely with ease..just not as far and high. I think really people forget the massive flip shit guys like decenzo and Joslin do down stuff or on ledges rails etc cuz nobody is into their style yet they ain't sniffing SOTY
[close]

Obviously he can't and that's not his thing. Neither is creativity. TJ is really fucking amazing at bouncing up, down and over things; that's his superpower. And packaging it in dramatic, slo-mo, instagram friendly clips. No wonder he's so successful and popular.
[close]

Manuals we haven’t seen much, he’s done some fucked up tricks on rails if you actually watch his parts. But yea he has his preferred lane just like most skaters.

Yeah, your right, Tyshawn isn’t a rail guy but some mind blowing rail tricks. He’s not really a grind/ledge guy either, but same situation, amazing individual tricks. Tyshawn summed it up in that interview video with Nakel, he’s going for individual unbelievable tricks that can “take out” someone elses entire part (or words to that effect). And for the most part, he’s probably right. I don’t see anyone else popping switch/nollie etc ticks over trash cans, and all the tricks he does at his spots, no one else can do that. Tyshawn has returned to a lot of the same blessed spots (which is a much much better compiled/executed  part) and did slightly different tricks, and more crazy shit, that’s cool, that’s his legacy, he owns those spots. Is it worth another SOTY, when he’s already a SOTY...is 2x SOTY ever a great idea? Well, guess we’ll find out soon who SOTY 22 is, all would be deserved winners. All I know is I’ve watched this LL part more than all the other “contenders” combined.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 07:09:20 AM by burner »

witty pseudonym

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #235 on: December 07, 2022, 07:27:46 AM »
This one really stood out to me, popping out of this requires so much control. 

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #236 on: December 07, 2022, 09:05:48 AM »

I've said this before - i'm convinced it's because he looks and skates like he weighs 90 pounds. In theory I love his skating - good style, good spots, and great trick selection - but I can't relate to it as he flitters around like a hummingbird, each spot just a flower in which to stick his proboscis and suck up all the nectar, granting him the sugar-high necessary to keep flapping his wings 60 times a second

QixHexagon

• Rep: 31
« Reply #237 on: December 07, 2022, 10:34:55 AM »
Lots of tricks already highlighted, I'm gonna add one too:

ashthrower

• Rep: -11
« Reply #238 on: December 07, 2022, 11:06:01 AM »
gap 5-0 trend (tfunk's ender + cernicky + louie in this part) proof of jim greco's influence being revived?
 #2022jimgrecorevival   #jimgrecoSOTY

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 50
« Reply #239 on: December 07, 2022, 11:38:04 AM »
Probably been mentioned but the clip of his ender here wasn't the Thrasher cover. Missing the cleaning guy in the bottom left. Must have bailed which would not be fun.

The Walk of Fame bench trick here is one of the best I've seen at that spot.