Author Topic: PS Stix lowers minimum to 50 boards  (Read 5881 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
Re: PS Stix lowers minimum to 50 boards
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2022, 08:08:34 AM »
I assume they can do this now because they've been steadily losing big accounts the last few years. Its unfortunate that it seems quality has gone down that much. BBS wood has been lasting me WAY longer in the last 3 years.

This is interesting. My first thought was that it was a sign of the times in the industry, where major brands overcorrected after the 2020 shortage and are now sitting on masses of unsold decks with absolutely no incentive to order more. But obviously the consensus is that PS boards are dogshit, so maybe that's just it.

Someone want to run analysis between woodshops using the Woodshop threads from the past few years?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

El Chupacabra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2022, 08:13:52 AM »
This is a direct result of how the wood presses behaved during pandemic.

They prioritized the big brands (cause duh, capitalism) who subsequently overbought and hoarded stock while throwing little brands to the wolves. Now the big guys are sitting on too much stuff and stopped putting in orders for new boards cause they can't move what they have.

This is a short term cash grab solution that isn't sustainable by PS, but hey if you like their boards, why not right.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2022, 01:17:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Quasi's been dabbling with BBS the past few seasons with the twin tails and a couple others each season from them. Wish they would just go full force and leave the dry crumbling cookie decks behind.
[close]

Do you know what bbs/generator minimums are?
I had a friend order 50 during the pandemic to screenprint on. They haven't gotten back to him recently. I assume they are back to their usual volumes and the minimums are probably higher now.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2022, 01:30:14 PM »
majority of boards I've bought since like 2016 have been ps stix. they seem to work the best for me, though I have had some stinkers, misdrilled bolts, I think I've had a warped one. I really like that shape quasi and wknd use.

I do like a bbs board too, oddly enough I've really only chipped those ones pretty bad, ps stix boards just kinda smoosh out when you bang the nose into shit. splintery as hell

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2022, 02:42:46 PM »
I have honestly disliked every ps-stix deck I have ever had. Granted it hasn't been too many. I think they do the concave really nice even if it is on the flatter side, I like how it feels like a "natural" concave but like everyone else has stated, they feel sogged out from the beginning.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2022, 04:16:38 PM »
Been a few years now but I’ve liked every PS Stix I’ve ever had, which was quite a lot.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2022, 05:58:03 PM »
I don’t want one PS stix deck let alone 50

Tale Crab

• Rep: 350
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2022, 06:16:28 PM »
PS Stix boards have been my favorite and would ride them exclusively if only I could find them the way I like. It's been getting harder and harder to find them in Europe after many of the major brands have switched to other woodshops (BBS, HLC or China). The ones that are left (Quasi, GX1000, WKND, etc.) all seem to favor the H-mold with the huge steep nose, which I don't get along with at all. The ones I've liked were all on the mellower PS-101 mold, which only Toy Machine uses consistently as far as I know. All the Toy Machine boards in Europe seems to be from China, so there goes that as well.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2022, 07:30:42 PM »
First PS Stix, been riding mostly BBS and DSM for the past 3 years. The flex is real, they feel like a BBS that's 4 sessions in and they need to be skated differently than a stiffer board, I need to pop lighter to get the springiness. The flex helps 360 flips a lot, I just wish their 8.25s had longer tails, and they measured tip to tip instead of flat across the length.

I'm only 4 sessions in, can't comment on the longevity yet.

Given the choice I'd stick to BBS.

Edit: Looks like my praise was premature, noticed some ply at delaminating at my nose, nothing major, but it's a bummer since my board didn't shoot off into a pole or wall recently.

First board I've had delaminate on me in 20 years
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 02:04:32 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2022, 08:04:36 PM »
PS Stix boards have been my favorite and would ride them exclusively if only I could find them the way I like. It's been getting harder and harder to find them in Europe after many of the major brands have switched to other woodshops (BBS, HLC or China). The ones that are left (Quasi, GX1000, WKND, etc.) all seem to favor the H-mold with the huge steep nose, which I don't get along with at all. The ones I've liked were all on the mellower PS-101 mold, which only Toy Machine uses consistently as far as I know. All the Toy Machine boards in Europe seems to be from China, so there goes that as well.

Thanks for this info

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2022, 10:43:35 PM »
How many PS preferers are smaller people? I got two mother boards (remember when quasi was called that, ahh I'm old) and first time riding one I legit thought they sent me a broken board with how much it was flexing. I've had boards with 3 cracked plys that felt the same. Try the other board and it's the same thing and friends were even commenting on it visually bending while I skated it. Maybe like a week later I focused it without jumping I was being dumb showing other friends how much it bent by like setting up and doing an Ollie and then pressing down but not jumping and the thing just snapped. Maybe a year later got an FA board which was way better but still not for me even just landing in manual you could feel it bending and hear it creaking

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2022, 11:53:19 PM »
How many PS preferers are smaller people? I got two mother boards (remember when quasi was called that, ahh I'm old) and first time riding one I legit thought they sent me a broken board with how much it was flexing. I've had boards with 3 cracked plys that felt the same. Try the other board and it's the same thing and friends were even commenting on it visually bending while I skated it. Maybe like a week later I focused it without jumping I was being dumb showing other friends how much it bent by like setting up and doing an Ollie and then pressing down but not jumping and the thing just snapped. Maybe a year later got an FA board which was way better but still not for me even just landing in manual you could feel it bending and hear it creaking
I have very similar experiences, and I’m not a big guy at all (170cm/72kg or 5’6”/ 159lbs). I always thought that ps boards we get here in europe are old stock/shipped poorly or something, as they feel so ”fragile” from the start and always snap in half within a week but after reading people comments here I guess that’s just how they are. BBS for me thanks.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2022, 09:37:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Quasi's been dabbling with BBS the past few seasons with the twin tails and a couple others each season from them. Wish they would just go full force and leave the dry crumbling cookie decks behind.
[close]

Do you know what bbs/generator minimums are?

I guess I have no idea really, but I heard and read they are not taking any new accounts.

Of course if you know someone or have access to one of those mid level distro type places that deal with Generator boards, you could get whatever they are likely to offer, I think one guy didn't have any minimums, but under 20 or so cost almost as much as RRP for a blank in a shop.

First PS Stix, been riding mostly BBS and DSM for the past 3 years. The flex is real, they feel like a BBS that's 4 sessions in and they need to be skated differently than a stiffer board, I need to pop lighter to get the springiness. The flex helps 360 flips a lot, I just wish their 8.25s had longer tails, and they measured tip to tip instead of flat across the length.

Edit: Looks like my praise was premature, noticed some ply at delaminating at my nose, nothing major, but it's a bummer since my board didn't shoot off into a pole or wall recently.

Experiences like that do make it hard to want another one, but even like some people I know who hate Spitfire wheels, I wonder if the old "one and done" theory is not jumping the gun.

Not a worry though, as everyone has to make up their own mind and being happy with something starts way before I even get to use it, skate it, wear it, etc.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

timemachine

• Rep: 12
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2022, 07:24:08 AM »
I have a fairly new account with Generator. (Within the last 6 months) and the minimums were 50/graphic as well if I remember correctly. I didn’t really have a hard time getting an account set up either

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2022, 08:57:08 AM »

Oh yeah! I forgot that the WKND board I had was delaminating in a corner. I filled it with wood glue and clamped it for a few days and it was fine, but like ... come'on! I'm not going back to that.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2022, 09:22:14 AM »
Straight up selling blanks isn't a good look. 

The worst feeling board I've ever skated was a PS Stix Quasi. The dimensions were great but it felt like they'd managed to engineer a styrofoam-oatmeal hybrid material and press it into the shape of a skateboard.

I skated a Palace (Dwindle) right after with pretty much the same specs aside from being pointier and it was shocking how good it felt.

Also hate how they measure board length along the board instead of tip of nose to tail in a straight line like everyone else.

**edit: Their shapes are probably some of my favourite overall though and like someone said, their concave does feel "natural". BBS concave can feel really drastic

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2022, 06:54:09 PM »

The worst feeling board I've ever skated was a PS Stix Quasi. The dimensions were great but it felt like they'd managed to engineer a styrofoam-oatmeal hybrid material and press it into the shape of a skateboard.

I skated a Palace (Dwindle) right after with pretty much the same specs aside from being pointier and it was shocking how good it felt.

Also hate how they measure board length along the board instead of tip of nose to tail in a straight line like everyone else.

**edit: Their shapes are probably some of my favourite overall though and like someone said, their concave does feel "natural". BBS concave can feel really drastic

Agree with a lot of this. And I’m way into PS.
Your whole edit paragraph is on point. Ps shapes are the best. The bbs concave, the weird swoop, just bothers me. Looks off too. I want my board to be flat as fuck boy.

switchfakie

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2022, 07:57:26 PM »
I assume they can do this now because they've been steadily losing big accounts the last few years. Its unfortunate that it seems quality has gone down that much. BBS wood has been lasting me WAY longer in the last 3 years.

yeye fuck pstix

me and my homies only skate bbs wood

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2022, 08:35:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeye fuck pstix

me and my homies only skate bbs wood

Tinfoil hat time:
Many of the biggest deck sales from brands direct are from board brands that use PS Stix (GX1000, Pizza, WKND), less so on brands that use BBS.

Recent GX1000 and Quasi boards have been a mix of PS Stix and BBS, so the theory that PS Stix is losing accounts has some merit.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

burner

• Rep: 86
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2022, 10:47:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Your whole edit paragraph is on point. Ps shapes are the best. The bbs concave, the weird swoop, just bothers me. Looks off too. I want my board to be flat as fuck boy.

Absolutely. I ride mostly Quasi PS, but I’ll buy BBS too, though hadn’t in a while. Just finished with a Quasi 8.75 felt perfect and I rode it to death, just set up a 917 8.25, slightly smaller venture hi and same 52mm wheels...and it’s just feels terrible, so stiff, tres are gone, nollie game completely messed up, just feels wrong. I thought It’d be better for my flatground but it’s just not working. I’ve switched up to some Thunders to see if that’ll help (trying that out next session). I really miss the flex, the “give and give back”.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2022, 05:04:42 AM »
I also had a Wknd PS Stix deck this summer that did the "crumbling cookie". After only 2 sessions of skating, the plies on the right corner of the nose delaminated until it looked like cabbage and then subsequently exploded into sharp shards. Got very little value out of it. The customer service said it's "wear and tear". Not surprised to see this press, I won't be trying out another PS deck any time soon.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2022, 05:32:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Absolutely. I ride mostly Quasi PS, but I’ll buy BBS too, though hadn’t in a while. Just finished with a Quasi 8.75 felt perfect and I rode it to death, just set up a 917 8.25, slightly smaller venture hi and same 52mm wheels...and it’s just feels terrible, so stiff, tres are gone, nollie game completely messed up, just feels wrong. I thought It’d be better for my flatground but it’s just not working. I’ve switched up to some Thunders to see if that’ll help (trying that out next session). I really miss the flex, the “give and give back”.
Steeper boards can flatten out with time. Flat boards start "broken in" and get to the dead feeling stage quicker. Especially when you use playdoh wood like PS Stix does.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2022, 05:54:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yep, I’ve been skating several in a row now.  Love my styrofoam-oatmeal boards.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2022, 06:39:19 AM »
I like ps stix for my curb board so I can feel it undulating under my feet, sometimes I like that feeling on transition too. Just got one with a wood knot on the second from top ply near the nose, they sanded the rail and there is a wobble, even my grip tape cut around the knot - haha.

Schmidt always struck me as that really smart entrepreneur who can’t let go enough to let others people run certain parts of his business, or really mentor any one for that matter.

douchenozzle

• Rep: 30
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2022, 07:09:06 AM »
South Central or death. P.S. Stix was decent when they were exclusive to Alien/Habitat. Hearing how they skate and just by looking at the boards, they got real sloppy with quality in their manufacturing. Also Clutch wood is what crailtap wood was in the 2000's

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2022, 07:20:12 AM »
Schmidt always struck me as that really smart entrepreneur who can’t let go enough to let others people run certain parts of his business, or really mentor any one for that matter.

I get that exact same vibe, which is unfortunate.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

burner

• Rep: 86
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2022, 07:27:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Steeper boards can flatten out with time. Flat boards start "broken in" and get to the dead feeling stage quicker. Especially when you use playdoh wood like PS Stix does.

Yeah, maybe that’s part of it, just need to break it in like you say, and the steeper BBS kicks really threw me off - the Thunders made a big difference just lowering it a fraction and pulling in the wheelbase a scoche, I still suck but I’m back in the fun zone.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2022, 08:09:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I get that exact same vibe, which is unfortunate.

I’m sure a lot of us have worked for someone like that. Wonder if he has an heir set if he ever retires.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2022, 08:22:50 AM »
I've skated a few PS decks, not my favorite decks but I didn't have a problem with them.
Have a couple buddies who swear by them.

What's the deal with some of y'all always being like "_____ is not my favorite thing so I hate it and hope they fail"
Like, you can have a preference without hating everything that isn't your preference, you know that right?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 08:34:20 AM by KC_Rookie »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2022, 04:10:30 PM »
I have a fairly new account with Generator. (Within the last 6 months) and the minimums were 50/graphic as well if I remember correctly. I didn’t really have a hard time getting an account set up either

Thanks!

I must have missed your reply on the first round, but came back to it from all the new comments.

Guessing everyone now is "open for more business" with almost too much wood available, compared to when there were shortages and everyone was screaming for more, or even just a small number of boards.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.