Author Topic: PS Stix lowers minimum to 50 boards  (Read 5927 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 859
Re: PS Stix lowers minimum to 50 boards
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2022, 09:29:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Straight up selling blanks isn't a good look. 

The worst feeling board I've ever skated was a PS Stix Quasi. The dimensions were great but it felt like they'd managed to engineer a styrofoam-oatmeal hybrid material and press it into the shape of a skateboard.

I skated a Palace (Dwindle) right after with pretty much the same specs aside from being pointier and it was shocking how good it felt.

Also hate how they measure board length along the board instead of tip of nose to tail in a straight line like everyone else.

**edit: Their shapes are probably some of my favourite overall though and like someone said, their concave does feel "natural". BBS concave can feel really drastic
[close]

Agree with a lot of this. And I’m way into PS.
Your whole edit paragraph is on point. Ps shapes are the best. The bbs concave, the weird swoop, just bothers me. Looks off too. I want my board to be flat as fuck boy.
[close]

Absolutely. I ride mostly Quasi PS, but I’ll buy BBS too, though hadn’t in a while. Just finished with a Quasi 8.75 felt perfect and I rode it to death, just set up a 917 8.25, slightly smaller venture hi and same 52mm wheels...and it’s just feels terrible, so stiff, tres are gone, nollie game completely messed up, just feels wrong. I thought It’d be better for my flatground but it’s just not working. I’ve switched up to some Thunders to see if that’ll help (trying that out next session). I really miss the flex, the “give and give back”.
[close]
Steeper boards can flatten out with time. Flat boards start "broken in" and get to the dead feeling stage quicker. Especially when you use playdoh wood like PS Stix does.

Boards can "flatten" out, but it's minimal and you're still not going to change the mold no matter what you do to it. Same deal with variance in stack position. You're never going to turn a dlx IV into a flat deck without destroying it no matter what you do to it.

And the fact that still, after years of this exact discussion, that people don't understand that different doesn't mean worse is why I mostly stay out of this section now. PS decks flex and spring rather than just bouncing off the ground. Its a different design approach. Adjust your timing slightly and they'll reward you with being some of the most effortless to skate boards.

But nah, couldn't be ME that's doing something wrong. It has to be the gear...

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2188
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2022, 03:28:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

The worst feeling board I've ever skated was a PS Stix Quasi. The dimensions were great but it felt like they'd managed to engineer a styrofoam-oatmeal hybrid material and press it into the shape of a skateboard.

I skated a Palace (Dwindle) right after with pretty much the same specs aside from being pointier and it was shocking how good it felt.

Also hate how they measure board length along the board instead of tip of nose to tail in a straight line like everyone else.

**edit: Their shapes are probably some of my favourite overall though and like someone said, their concave does feel "natural". BBS concave can feel really drastic
[close]

Your whole edit paragraph is on point. Ps shapes are the best. The bbs concave, the weird swoop, just bothers me. Looks off too. I want my board to be flat as fuck boy.
[close]

Absolutely. I ride mostly Quasi PS, but I’ll buy BBS too, though hadn’t in a while. Just finished with a Quasi 8.75 felt perfect and I rode it to death, just set up a 917 8.25, slightly smaller venture hi and same 52mm wheels...and it’s just feels terrible, so stiff, tres are gone, nollie game completely messed up, just feels wrong. I thought It’d be better for my flatground but it’s just not working. I’ve switched up to some Thunders to see if that’ll help (trying that out next session). I really miss the flex, the “give and give back”.
[close]
Steeper boards can flatten out with time. Flat boards start "broken in" and get to the dead feeling stage quicker. Especially when you use playdoh wood like PS Stix does.
[close]

Boards can "flatten" out, but it's minimal and you're still not going to change the mold no matter what you do to it. Same deal with variance in stack position. You're never going to turn a dlx IV into a flat deck without destroying it no matter what you do to it.

And the fact that still, after years of this exact discussion, that people don't understand that different doesn't mean worse is why I mostly stay out of this section now. PS decks flex and spring rather than just bouncing off the ground. It’s a different design approach. Adjust your timing slightly and they'll reward you with being some of the most effortless to skate boards.

Agree w/ the above: it takes some getting used to, but they’ve almost got a sprung preload from that little flex, and before these decks sog-out, they are a real delight if you’ve got the timing adjusted.
I’ve certainly enjoyed most of mine.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2022, 06:17:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

And the fact that still, after years of this exact discussion, that people don't understand that different doesn't mean worse is why I mostly stay out of this section now. PS decks flex and spring rather than just bouncing off the ground. It’s a different design approach. Adjust your timing slightly and they'll reward you with being some of the most effortless to skate boards.

[close]
Agree w/ the above: it takes some getting used to, but they’ve almost got a sprung preload from that little flex, and before these decks sog-out, they are a real delight if you’ve got the timing adjusted.

They feel really good from start to mid way through the life of the board, but start feeling shitty towards the last 40%.

BBS feel too stiff from the start and after breaking in they feel great all the way till the tail end of the board.

I've done some of my best flatground skating in the past few weeks riding a PS Stix, I attribute that to having to pop light and be deft with the flick, rather than trying to stomp the pop. The board is near the end of it's life but it was fun while it lasted, far from an inferior product, just different from BBS. Glad I finally rode a PS Stix to experience the flex and springiness firsthand.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2022, 06:20:21 PM »
Every time I try a PS Stix I think to myself, wow this is actually pretty good. And then after a dozen sessions or so, I remember why I shouldn't bother again, as I'm standing on a lifeless wet noodle.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1106
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2022, 08:13:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Very much agree

LebowskisRug

« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2022, 09:06:01 PM »
My main issue with PS is their decks are mostly short and squared with steep noses. Otherwise the wood is fine.

What major brands have they picked up recently? It seems they lost most of their bigger ones aside from WKND and Quasi.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2022, 09:46:24 PM »
My main issue with PS is their decks are mostly short and squared with steep noses. Otherwise the wood is fine.

What major brands have they picked up recently? It seems they lost most of their bigger ones aside from WKND and Quasi.

Super short tails too, under 6.5" in a few cases.

Habitat partially? Gillette's pro model has the PS Stix engravings but the rest of the collection are BBS.

WKND has a few PS Stix boards listed as "Medium Concave", keen to try those out.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fur lined sea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 233
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2022, 02:16:28 AM »
The best PS Stix boards I had were a stack of Roger boards around 2013/2014.

Pretty indifferent about PS Stix boards these days however. I'd rather BBS, South Central or Chapman if they were still around.
Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2022, 02:18:38 AM »
So we're not starting a slap board brand?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2022, 03:43:00 AM »

How about a woodshop instead? Slapstix?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1221
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2022, 09:09:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How about a woodshop instead? Slapstix?

More like SlapDicks
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1055
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2022, 06:19:14 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Clm8lThpGYi/?igshid=MDM4ZDc5MmU=

The deals keep stacking. 5 free boards when you order 50 for the shop