Author Topic: New Supreme Full Length "Play Dead"  (Read 62026 times)

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
Re: New Supreme Full Length "Play Dead" Coming Soon
« Reply #270 on: November 29, 2022, 08:17:47 PM »
Watched Tyshawn’s leaked part. Hope the real thing does this once in a lifetime talent justice and it’s just the handicam footage that made it underwhelming, but something tells me obese William fucking ruined something yet again. Noseblunt was only thing that stood out, but god damn that’s a sick trick. Again, going to rewatch for sure when the real thing drops, but as of now…the King part better be off the chain.

Strobeck should stick to filming objectively low caliber skaters so he can make their low impact spots look gnarly instead of ruining Shit that Tyshawn does.

Can’t wait for the death of the nyc/supreme coolguy aesthetic/approach to skating.

Edit - switch bigflip front board stood out too

Thank you.
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

Eman100

• Rep: 0
« Reply #271 on: November 29, 2022, 08:35:23 PM »
Honestly I’ve always liked strobecks filming to a certain extent, but with this shit I’ve honestly realized how important it is to maybe just back the fuck up a little bit.  I think there’s a very fine line between boring filming ( keeping homie dead center ) and good filming ( engaging with the persons style and attitude )  but honestly the last couple clips were fucked but could have been filmed wayyyy better 

LonleySk8er15

• Rep: 41
« Reply #272 on: November 29, 2022, 08:46:13 PM »
We’re those tricks off to the side of the can? Need a GH video breakdown with a diagram and shadow analysis.

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #273 on: November 29, 2022, 08:50:08 PM »
Wait, so you’re telling me Bill Strobek terribly filmed something?
You. Don’t. Say.

Holy fuck balls he really porked the pooch on that subway kickflip, Jesus at least get a more sane human being to film a second angle that actually has the full scope of it.

Like someone said thank god for Atiba.

Sanka Coffie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
« Reply #274 on: November 29, 2022, 09:14:54 PM »
durag man > leggings man.

pangl0ss

• Rep: -7
« Reply #275 on: November 29, 2022, 09:36:39 PM »

i would've assumed he did it before the bumps but. thoughts?

This is beyond lame. Removed 3 ft of length from what has to be cleared and a huge psychological element. It is fundamentally changing what makes the trick hard.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 09:55:08 PM by pangl0ss »

Eman100

« Reply #276 on: November 29, 2022, 09:40:33 PM »
3 ft?  Lmfao do u have any idea how fucked this is regardless.  When I first saw he kickflipped the subway I didn’t even think of the yellow strip before it

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #277 on: November 29, 2022, 09:49:11 PM »
Crazy how all of these BIG tricks that have gone down this year have had some little like 'hmm' factor... Tfunk carving half the bench then ollieing, TJ switch ollieing over the corner, Nyjah's kicker up the rail (probably the least egregious) and now the removal of the safety bumps at the subway
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Eman100

« Reply #278 on: November 29, 2022, 09:55:31 PM »
Crazy how all of these BIG tricks that have gone down this year have had some little like 'hmm' factor... Tfunk carving half the bench then ollieing, TJ switch ollieing over the corner, Nyjah's kicker up the rail (probably the least egregious) and now the removal of the safety bumps at the subway

I think the t funk argument is hilarious tbh, like how many times when anyone has gone to fuckin skate a set or anything have their wheels gone over it before they popped?  Every fucking time.  Arguing that the t funk Shit doesn’t count or that he “didn’t clear the whole bench” is honestly fucking hilarious to me

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #279 on: November 29, 2022, 10:03:28 PM »

tfunks trick is trick of the year imo....i dont care how it looked

TJ redid the sw ollie, and the subway gap tiles dont bother me....impossible if he didnt remove it.

Nyjahs ramp was a little weird...but cmon....at least make it visible. you know they tried to hide it. either way, it was an insane trick
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #280 on: November 29, 2022, 10:05:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think the t funk argument is hilarious tbh, like how many times when anyone has gone to fuckin skate a set or anything have their wheels gone over it before they popped?  Every fucking time.  Arguing that the t funk Shit doesn’t count or that he “didn’t clear the whole bench” is honestly fucking hilarious to me

+1. Completely ridiculous.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

pangl0ss

« Reply #281 on: November 29, 2022, 10:11:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

+1. Completely ridiculous.

Agree. There is no spot modification or misrepresenting what was done. Just a crazy trick

fistful0dynamite

« Reply #282 on: November 29, 2022, 10:19:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

TJ redid the sw ollie, and the subway gap tiles dont bother me....impossible if he didnt remove it.

Nyjahs ramp was a little weird...but cmon....at least make it visible. you know they tried to hide it. either way, it was an insane trick
For real though, dude spray painted the kicker grey to blend in. Still a crazy grind but I think I prefer Kyle Walkers snowboard grind from earlier this year over nigels
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CWJjrjal-Zv/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #283 on: November 29, 2022, 10:26:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
For real though, dude spray painted the kicker grey to blend in. Still a crazy grind but I think I prefer Kyle Walkers snowboard grind from earlier this year over nigels
a boardslide isn’t a grind. concrete is gray, you don’t have to spray paint it. he’s also coming from a black asphalt parking lot so, if they wanted to hide it wouldn’t they have spray painted it black…? don’t you think that if they were trying to hide it, the first angle would’ve been fisheye from the flat in the middle to where you can’t see it as well as, i don’t know… maybe a zoomed in long lens angle right on it might be? they probably wanted it to look like a curb cut in order for it not to get destroyed, who knows how long it took him? cut the dude some slack, the trasher cover kickflip doesn’t show the bondo for the speed stoppers does it? and anybody complaining about tfunk ollieing after carving a little is literally just going out of their way to be an idiot.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

sizzle_chest

• Rep: -12
  • Kookin' Ain't Easy
« Reply #284 on: November 29, 2022, 10:34:22 PM »

i would've assumed he did it before the bumps but. thoughts?

dilbert1

• Rep: 139
« Reply #285 on: November 29, 2022, 10:44:20 PM »

Wtf are you on dawg??

ExpensiveHandjoe

• Rep: 23
« Reply #286 on: November 29, 2022, 10:48:11 PM »
any word on Rowan's footages ?

fistful0dynamite

« Reply #287 on: November 29, 2022, 10:53:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
a boardslide isn’t a grind. concrete is gray, you don’t have to spray paint it. he’s also coming from a black asphalt parking lot so, if they wanted to hide it wouldn’t they have spray painted it black…? don’t you think that if they were trying to hide it, the first angle would’ve been fisheye from the flat in the middle to where you can’t see it as well as, i don’t know… maybe a zoomed in long lens angle right on it might be? they probably wanted it to look like a curb cut in order for it not to get destroyed, who knows how long it took him? cut the dude some slack, the trasher cover kickflip doesn’t show the bondo for the speed stoppers does it? and anybody complaining about tfunk ollieing after carving a little is literally just going out of their way to be an idiot.
I thought it was a wood kicker painted grey not a concrete one. My bad I should’ve said I prefer Kyle walkers snowboard rail trick to jahs snowboard rail trick.

pangl0ss

« Reply #288 on: November 29, 2022, 11:04:38 PM »
3 ft?  Lmfao do u have any idea how fucked this is regardless.  When I first saw he kickflipped the subway I didn’t even think of the yellow strip before it

The rumble strip is one of the main reasons the kickflip hasn’t been done. The carve on the runup, the strip which makes you pop early, the length of the gap, and the third rail. If you don’t believe me, go look at the Jenkem video when the kickflip cover came out (measured with the strip) or this article from Curbed explaining to the outside world what makes the trick iconic (discussed the strip at several points). So yeah, removing the rumble strip from the equation of that absolutely changes what makes it iconic in a significant way.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjoTaI3OoxB/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://www.curbed.com/2022/10/the-making-of-tyshawn-joness-subway-gap-skating-shot.html

Yes, it’s still impressive, of course. I do actually “have any idea how fucked this is regardless”. On the other hand, it’s EXPLICITLY NOT what the people writing that Curbed article or doing the Jenkem thing THOUGHT he was doing. We can all adjust our expectations and choose to be impressed anyway, but I’m not off base for being disappointed when I notice that what was done was not what everyone thought.

Doing it over the strip would be much more impressive and would be respecting the legacy of the spot.

Eman100

« Reply #289 on: November 29, 2022, 11:24:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The rumble strip is one of the main reasons the kickflip hasn’t been done. The carve on the runup, the strip which makes you pop early, the length of the gap, and the third rail. If you don’t believe me, go look at the Jenkem video when the kickflip cover came out (measured with the strip) or this article from Curbed explaining to the outside world what makes the trick iconic (discussed the strip at several points). So yeah, removing the rumble strip from the equation of that absolutely changes what makes it iconic in a significant way.

https://www.curbed.com/2022/10/the-making-of-tyshawn-joness-subway-gap-skating-shot.html

Yes, it’s still impressive, of course. I do actually “have any idea how fucked this is regardless”. On the other hand, it’s EXPLICITLY NOT what the people writing that Curbed article or doing the Jenkem thing THOUGHT he was doing. We can all adjust our expectations and choose to be impressed anyway, but I’m not off base for being disappointed when I notice that what was done was not what everyone thought.

Doing it over the strip would be much more impressive and would be respecting the legacy of the spot.
Regardless dude the rumble strip ain’t even close to 3 feet long, shits a foot and a half at most, nitpicking some shit like this is super wack to me honestly

Eman100

« Reply #290 on: November 29, 2022, 11:29:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lmao “the rumble strip is one of the main reasons the kickflip hasn’t been done”
You sure about that buddy? 
While I do agree leaving a spot as is is way cooler
U really can’t fuckin downplay this

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #291 on: November 29, 2022, 11:33:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Noseblunt the pyramid was the most surprising to me. What other if any tricks have been done up it? Noselides?
[close]
https://youtu.be/xMQBvgA0Z30?t=31

Thanks G I'm still trying to catch up

+35

• Rep: -16
« Reply #292 on: November 29, 2022, 11:49:28 PM »
online when?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #293 on: November 29, 2022, 11:50:36 PM »
The worst part of the kickflip was the way Bill filmed it. He fucking sucks.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #294 on: November 30, 2022, 12:20:37 AM »
old man shouts at cloud alert:

bill really, really fucked this one.

he managed to film noseblunt up the pyramid ledge in a way that made it seem totally unimpressive. luckily we know the spot, so we know to be impressed - but the filming sells it way short. same with the muni trashcan.

the kf over the tracks and the wall to wall 3flip didn't look as crazy as they should have. there's just no real sense of the spot.

i think the combo of this coming just after nyjah's and the shitty filming robbed it of a lot of its power.

fried

• Rep: 52
« Reply #295 on: November 30, 2022, 01:19:22 AM »

I’m pretty sure the Ollie and 180 over the gap were done before the blind bumps were there. It used to just be a small strip of yellow paint.

Tj kickflipped it over the OG gap and 1 strip of bumps…

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #296 on: November 30, 2022, 01:34:42 AM »
sad to see historic skateboarding being butchered like this

maybe that's the point though ... creating an word of mouth myth on how each trick is incredibly harder that what the footage conveys

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #297 on: November 30, 2022, 01:47:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m pretty sure the Ollie and 180 over the gap were done before the blind bumps were there. It used to just be a small strip of yellow paint.

Yep. 

It always baffles me how confidently some people make objectively wrong statements. If you wanna hate on someone, at least put some effort into it.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #298 on: November 30, 2022, 02:11:19 AM »
That was such an emotional rollercoaster. Super hyped on what Tyshawn does, super bummed on how it looks.
There should be a photo of every trick edited in the corner while it's happening so people know what's happening.

veritas

« Reply #299 on: November 30, 2022, 02:15:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yep. 

It always baffles me how confidently some people make objectively wrong statements. If you wanna hate on someone, at least put some effort into it.

They have those rumble strip bumps in some of the the crosswalks on Broadway now (near 96th), if you ever hit them by accident you get fucking tossed