Author Topic: Tips for skating in the cold?  (Read 6320 times)

goldperms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Tips for skating in the cold?
« on: November 19, 2022, 09:06:51 AM »
Might be a redundant/dumb question but i live in the south (memphis, tn) and it's definitely been getting way colder these past three years.
I sweat a LOT so my shirts always get soaked and hoodies don't help much/bubble coats are a no go too.
What do y'all do/how do y'all bundle up to skate?
This shit killing me lol

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 39
Re: Tips for skating in the cold?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 09:12:11 AM »
Bundle up and skate in circles/do laps til you warm up. Once you’re warm ditch layers and keep moving.

Lester Bullocks

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 09:20:54 AM »
Multiple thin layers upper body, thin gloves, toque, remove/put back on as necessary.

WPG

• Rep: -8
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Warmup

• Rep: -16
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 10:56:37 AM »
Man up

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 11:54:10 AM »
I generally only skate in low tops, but in the winter, I like to skate in high tops since they give the ankle bones a little bit more protection.  They also help keep the warmth in a bit better.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 11:58:22 AM »
When it's cold, I need to work out/warm up before going outside, otherwise my body never gets warm and everything feels wrong.
Kinda obvious but it took me a long time to figure this out and then actually do it

WavyDavy

• Rep: 129
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 12:21:12 PM »
A thermos flask with hot tea, maybe hot cocoa or mullet wine for an extra boost

jsettle

• Rep: 134
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2022, 12:27:22 PM »
Might be a redundant/dumb question but i live in the south (memphis, tn) and it's definitely been getting way colder these past three years.
I sweat a LOT so my shirts always get soaked and hoodies don't help much/bubble coats are a no go too.
This shit killing me lol

I'm in memphis as well. I try to only skate when the sun is out in the winter or hit up society indoor park and the cold isnt as bad. But if those options dont work for you, i say layer up with some thermals underneath.

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 82
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2022, 12:29:00 PM »
I live in new england and usually do more thin layers over bulky clothes. I'll skate any temp above 15 degress and usually I do tshirt, thermal long sleeve and a flannel for upper layers. Dollar store leggings under jeans are a lifesaver too, they dont bunch up as much as thermal leggings. Wool socks too. Honestly once I'm warmed up it's just about keeping circulation to my feet and legs. I'm tossing top layers off within the first hour of skating.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2022, 12:36:42 PM »
Loosen up your trucks otherwise when the cold seizes up the bushings you’re fucked…

Puddy Smally

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2022, 12:46:20 PM »
Keep moving.

I usually always end up stripping down to a t-shirt.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2022, 12:48:26 PM »
Ditto what everybody said about layers and bushings

It was 39F when I skated this morning, sun was out, not that bad.

Stretch / excercise before you go out too

I personally buy into the Uniqlo Heat-Tech with Japan technology and also Primaloft from LL Bean.  Most skate brands are not good to wear for outwear, but maybe the new stuff is better?

OP, everyone will tell you not to listen to me, but I do this and it helps: bake a couple small potatoes in the oven (not microwave) and wrap in foil, and keep them in your coat pocket along with a little bottle of your favorite hot sauce.  The potatoes will keep you warm for hours and since you have a winter coat on who cares if you're not as mobile as usual, that's not the point.  And when you are hungry you peel them open and put on the hot sauce and you are golden.  Another trick is lots of boiling tea that has steeped for at least for minutes.

Also, telling yourself "it's not cold" works to some degree

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

stringsnthings

• Rep: -48
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2022, 01:44:24 PM »
This shit killing me lol

Play you in skate at Raleigh park and beat you ;) lol if you figure out who this is I'll be stoked.

stringsnthings

• Rep: -48
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2022, 01:45:07 PM »
Expand Quote
This shit killing me lol
[close]

I'm in memphis as well. I try to only skate when the sun is out in the winter or hit up society indoor park and the cold isnt as bad. But if those options dont work for you, i say layer up with some thermals underneath.

Aye 3 Memphians in the same chat haha

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2022, 02:17:36 PM »
Bones bushings.
Bundle up.
That's all you need.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2022, 02:21:18 PM »
Indoor spot. Even if it is freezing, no wind makes such a huge difference. Some of my favorite sessions were in an unheated warehouse where the temp had to be just around freezing.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2022, 02:22:51 PM »
Tuck that undershirt in. Makes a huge difference.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2022, 02:30:35 PM »
Jog or do jumping jacks if needed if it helps you get warm faster.
Once you’re warm, don’t stop moving. If you take a break, don’t stop moving for too long.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2022, 02:53:40 PM »
Echo whoever brought up wind.  I learned that from both skating and golf, that a rainresitent outer garment can help block the wind better than a lot of other materials, so put on your rain slicker on the outside

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2022, 03:06:52 PM »

I personally buy into the Uniqlo Heat-Tech with Japan technology and also Primaloft from LL Bean.  Most skate brands are not good to wear for outwear, but maybe the new stuff is better?

OP, everyone will tell you not to listen to me, but I do this and it helps: bake a couple small potatoes in the oven (not microwave) and wrap in foil, and keep them in your coat pocket along with a little bottle of your favorite hot sauce.  The potatoes will keep you warm for hours and since you have a winter coat on who cares if you're not as mobile as usual, that's not the point.  And when you are hungry you peel them open and put on the hot sauce and you are golden.  Another trick is lots of boiling tea that has steeped for at least for minutes.

I recently was at Uniqlo & noticed the heat tech thermals. You recommend? I have a pair of target brand from last year I like.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 129
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2022, 03:07:51 PM »
OP, everyone will tell you not to listen to me, but I do this and it helps: bake a couple small potatoes in the oven (not microwave) and wrap in foil, and keep them in your coat pocket along with a little bottle of your favorite hot sauce.  The potatoes will keep you warm for hours and since you have a winter coat on who cares if you're not as mobile as usual, that's not the point.  And when you are hungry you peel them open and put on the hot sauce and you are golden. 

Hard boiled eggs can be also useful as a disposable hand warmer

A tube scarf also quite good to keep protected against wind and cold

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2022, 04:16:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I recently was at Uniqlo & noticed the heat tech thermals. You recommend? I have a pair of target brand from last year I like.

Yes I totally recommend.  I discovered them way over there before they were over here, and I thought, "why not give it a try even if it's a gimmick," and lo and behold they are really warm and almost feels like they generate their own heat, and super thin too, and cheap of course

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2022, 06:07:50 PM »

OP, everyone will tell you not to listen to me, but I do this and it helps: bake a couple small potatoes in the oven (not microwave) and wrap in foil, and keep them in your coat pocket along with a little bottle of your favorite hot sauce.  The potatoes will keep you warm for hours and since you have a winter coat on who cares if you're not as mobile as usual, that's not the point.

I think I’d feel too guilty thinking that there are people in the world starving to death; meanwhile I’m using potatoes as hand warmers while I play on my toy.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

rukes

• Rep: 211
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2022, 06:38:50 PM »
Move somewhere warm.

Fuck the cold, I'll take hot and humid any day
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

passthegeritol

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2022, 06:52:04 PM »
Buy softer bushings.  Temperature affects the flexibility behavior of materials.  Rubbers firm up in cold so a softer bushing will perform like your normal bushing in colder months.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2022, 07:08:08 PM »
Expand Quote

OP, everyone will tell you not to listen to me, but I do this and it helps: bake a couple small potatoes in the oven (not microwave) and wrap in foil, and keep them in your coat pocket along with a little bottle of your favorite hot sauce.  The potatoes will keep you warm for hours and since you have a winter coat on who cares if you're not as mobile as usual, that's not the point.
[close]

I think I’d feel too guilty thinking that there are people in the world starving to death; meanwhile I’m using potatoes as hand warmers while I play on my toy.

The potatoes are also your lunch.  You deserve lunch as much as anybody

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2022, 07:43:55 PM »

so good. If I saw the homie pull piping hot, clearly homemade baked potatoes out of his jacket halfway through the sesh I would lose it

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2022, 08:51:22 PM »
Don’t stop once you’re warmed up