Author Topic: World Cup 2022  (Read 9011 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
Re: World Cup 2022
« Reply #330 on: December 19, 2022, 03:43:35 AM »
Scoring a hat trick in the final and still losing...that's rough.

Nyjah should give him a call...

You feel for France, but back to back World Cup finals are already a huge achievement (especially after winning one of them) - not to mention missing Nkunku, Pogba, Benzema, and so many others.   

The only final I'm actually gutted for France to lose was when they lost (iirc) that Euro final right after the night club shooting.   It was a shame that the country didn't get that cathartic moment.

OldieButFrenchie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #331 on: December 19, 2022, 03:59:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Scoring a hat trick in the final and still losing...that's rough.
[close]

Nyjah should give him a call...

You feel for France, but back to back World Cup finals are already a huge achievement (especially after winning one of them) - not to mention missing Nkunku, Pogba, Benzema, and so many others.   

The only final I'm actually gutted for France to lose was when they lost (iirc) that Euro final right after the night club shooting.   It was a shame that the country didn't get that cathartic moment.

Yup. That was the Euro final 2016 (played in France!). After the Bataclan shootings in 2015....
I still remember vividly Gignac hitting the post    :-X
It probably taught les Bleus a valuable lesson though, for 2018.

Also agree about Macron trying way too hard to insert himself in the picture!

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #332 on: December 19, 2022, 06:47:04 AM »
What a final game. 
French fans, take solace in that they almost won while missing 6 starters against the best player of all time.  Les Bleus will be back.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #333 on: December 19, 2022, 07:05:13 AM »
What a final game. 
French fans, take solace in that they almost won while missing 6 starters against the best player of all time.  Les Bleus will be back.

Hopefully DD doesn't get any stick for not flying Benzema out for the Final match, I think it was the right call regardless of the outcome

Update: and now Benzema has announced he’s retiring from the French National side.   Fuck em.   Haven’t been down with him since the Valbuena shit (unless there’s something I missed and he was exonerated)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 07:25:43 AM by Atiba Applebum »

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #334 on: December 19, 2022, 07:24:50 AM »
Expand Quote
What a final game. 
[close]

Hopefully DD doesn't get any stick for not flying Benzema out for the Final match, I think it was the right call regardless of the outcome
No doubt about it.  You can't just drop him in a World Cup final, especially since he wasn't needed to get there in the first place. 
Forgot about the virus.  So France almost beat the team with the greatest player of all time while missing 6 starters, a couple of those are arguably the best at their positions in the world, and the team on the pitch may have been sick.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2549
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #335 on: December 19, 2022, 07:58:45 AM »
Now it's between Haaland and Mbappé.

I mean, that's been put to bed already too since Haaland will never win a WC, haha.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #336 on: December 19, 2022, 09:17:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I mean, that's been put to bed already too since Haaland will never win a WC, haha.

But at the same time, Mbappe won’t have the same caliber of club success Haaland does as long as he plays in Ligue 1.  Curious when/if either of them win Champions League and whether it happens at their current clubs

Casuals/non fans will always say Mbappe bc they tune in to the WC, but everyone else knows what Haaland is/can do is off the charts this season   

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #337 on: December 19, 2022, 10:11:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hehe, that's true but then again, the WC is but a sideshow to league football. Back to the As In Soccer thread we go.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 10:18:42 AM by excitableboy »

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2549
« Reply #338 on: December 19, 2022, 10:42:11 AM »
I feel like the criteria for these debates are always shifting, which is why I should have known better than to get involved, haha.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #339 on: December 19, 2022, 01:33:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

George Best never won a world cup either.

Pelé good, Maradona better, George Best.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #340 on: December 19, 2022, 03:26:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

George Best never even played in a World Cup tournament.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #341 on: December 19, 2022, 04:34:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

That's my fucking point.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #342 on: December 20, 2022, 12:26:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
That's my fucking point.
AND HE HAS A FUCKIGN AIRPORT THAT'S NAMED AFTER HIM!  8)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #343 on: December 20, 2022, 01:02:19 AM »
Ah it wasn’t until I saw Aguero hand Messi the mOtm trophy that I realized he missed out bc of his medical induced retirement.   Poor guy

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #344 on: December 20, 2022, 01:28:37 AM »
Expand Quote
What a final game. 
[close]

Update: and now Benzema has announced he’s retiring from the French National side.   Fuck em.   Haven’t been down with him since the Valbuena shit (unless there’s something I missed and he was exonerated)

Nah he won't. The whole Benzema/Giroud debate has been pretty toxic in France and I think most French fans have come to see Benzema for what he is: a great player, but a shitty human being. The Valbuena affair was bad already but the final straw for me was when he compared Giroud to a go-kart, while he himself was a Formula One....
all the while Giroud has a better goal per selections ratio than him!

I have to say one thing that really gives me hope for the future is Mbappe's mental strength. You have to remember he missed his penalty vs Switzerland in the 2020 Euro....And sunday he scored 3 vs one the best keepers at this shit. Cojones of steel. Plus he looked so pissed when the match ended....you know he'll back for blood  ;)
maybe this will be the start of an epic France-Argentine rivalry....The 2018 and 2022 games were by far some of the most epic in WC history!

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #345 on: December 20, 2022, 01:33:25 AM »

also, I kinda changed my mind about Macron when I saw these pics...I might be naive, but it looks like he just reacted like an average French dude at the equalizer! dude may have been more sincere than I thought!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #346 on: December 20, 2022, 01:54:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What a final game. 
[close]

[close]

Nah he won't. The whole Benzema/Giroud debate has been pretty toxic in France and I think most French fans have come to see Benzema for what he is: a great player, but a shitty human being. The Valbuena affair was bad already but the final straw for me was when he compared Giroud to a go-kart, while he himself was a Formula One....
all the while Giroud has a better goal per selections ratio than him!

I have to say one thing that really gives me hope for the future is Mbappe's mental strength. You have to remember he missed his penalty vs Switzerland in the 2020 Euro....And sunday he scored 3 vs one the best keepers at this shit. Cojones of steel. Plus he looked so pissed when the match ended....you know he'll back for blood  ;)
maybe this will be the start of an epic France-Argentine rivalry....The 2018 and 2022 games were by far some of the most epic in WC history!

Ok I’m glad that Benzema’s form last season didn’t overshadow what a creep he has historically been.   

Mbappe def is strong mentally considering the stick he’s received over his PSG contract and all the surrounding drama, plus what you mentioned.    And all at an obnoxiously young age.   

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #347 on: December 20, 2022, 11:57:24 AM »

This just in...France to invade the Falkland Islands...

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #348 on: December 21, 2022, 01:11:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

haha.....well it would be tempting to send the Charles de Gaulle aircraft carrier to Martinez'doorstep.....just to teach him a lesson about mocking kyky....

in other news, my oldest son has now started to say it's all rigged, and Fifa wanted Messi to lift the cup....I'm trying to get conspiracy theories out of his head!

Finally....my wife showed me this image on twitter and I feel like hammering the point home.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #349 on: December 21, 2022, 02:59:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

haha.....well it would be tempting to send the Charles de Gaulle aircraft carrier to Martinez'doorstep.....just to teach him a lesson about mocking kyky....

in other news, my oldest son has now started to say it's all rigged, and Fifa wanted Messi to lift the cup....I'm trying to get conspiracy theories out of his head!

Finally....my wife showed me this image on twitter and I feel like hammering the point home.

Is there one of those for Moroccos team? 

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #350 on: December 21, 2022, 03:24:45 AM »
Is there one of those for Moroccos team?

haven't seen it! But I have no problem with guys who have dual citizenship choosing the country they want to play for.
BTW walid regragui, the moroccan coach, grew up right next to my hometown! Essonne represent haha....

The only case that bugs me is Aymeric Laporte, who plays for Spain even though he's French and has no ties at all there (except his club). Spain just gave him citizenship, as Deschamps did not pick him for the squad. And this is the guy who was captain of the French under 19 team!

Edit: ok Laporte had one basque grandparent....still, apart from picking him for the national squad, Spain had no reason to give him citizenhip.

goeatsomefriedbread

• Rep: 268
« Reply #351 on: December 21, 2022, 10:02:58 AM »
So many amazing moments in that world cup, my favourite was prob Messi reverse pass against Holland, amazing

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #352 on: December 21, 2022, 10:24:47 AM »
I can't get over the crazy match we have in the final .. ! I'm disgusted for France that it lost after fighting so hard.. but on the one hand, I can't be sad that it lost, for me they won in the hearts of the French a doing a crazy feat !! And they have a much better mentality and esteem than the Argentinians.. Martinez disgusts me HUGELY !!! An awful mentality in the world of football  >:(

In short, crazy match, I had tears in my eyes at Mbappe's second goal.. I screamed like never before  :-* :D

It would have been crazy for Kolo muani to score at the very last second..

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #353 on: December 22, 2022, 05:39:35 AM »
I can't get over the crazy match we have in the final .. ! I'm disgusted for France that it lost after fighting so hard.. but on the one hand, I can't be sad that it lost, for me they won in the hearts of the French a doing a crazy feat !! And they have a much better mentality and esteem than the Argentinians.. Martinez disgusts me HUGELY !!! An awful mentality in the world of football  >:(

In short, crazy match, I had tears in my eyes at Mbappe's second goal.. I screamed like never before  :-* :D

It would have been crazy for Kolo muani to score at the very last second..

ouais je comprends....moi aussi j'ai du mal à m'en remettre !! et je crois bien avoir versé une petite larmiche aussi au moment de l'égalisation. Mais bon faut se dire que pendant 70 minutes, on a pas existé. C'est déjà bien d'être revenus et de les avoir fait douter.
Et puis, on a déjà de la chance de voir notre pays 2 fois en finale de suite ! Y'a plein d'équipes/supporters qui vivront jamais UNE finale. En plus, l'avenir s'annonce pas mal vu les petits jeunes qui arrivent !

(dudes pardon us for this French moment  ;D   )