Author Topic: World Cup 2022  (Read 8860 times)

nonickname

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 85
Re: World Cup 2022
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2022, 04:04:01 PM »
Ugh. Naive playing and misplaced loyalty have no, well little, place on this stage. Playing Atiba for 72 mins when hes clearly past it (2 of the 3 goals against scored while he was on were by someone he lost or by someone in space he left and/or didn't have the legs to get back to) killed us. Croatia time and again attacked the areas around him leaving us getting done in the half spaces. Yes we were outclassed but Herdman before the game with his mouth and during, by not reacting quickly with the subs, made it that much worse. Need a great all around game vs Morocco for a semblance of pride, which if Estaquio is out just got harder.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2022, 05:00:38 PM »
Ugh. Naive playing and misplaced loyalty have no, well little, place on this stage. Playing Atiba for 72 mins when hes clearly past it (2 of the 3 goals against scored while he was on were by someone he lost or by someone in space he left and/or didn't have the legs to get back to) killed us. Croatia time and again attacked the areas around him leaving us getting done in the half spaces. Yes we were outclassed but Herdman before the game with his mouth and during, by not reacting quickly with the subs, made it that much worse. Need a great all around game vs Morocco for a semblance of pride, which if Estaquio is out just got harder.

Good point on Hutchinson. We fought pretty hard in the first two games, but hey. At least we were there and a goal was scored.

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2022, 07:17:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Good point on Hutchinson. We fought pretty hard in the first two games, but hey. At least we were there and a goal was scored.
Oohh starting to sound a little Australian.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2022, 08:43:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Oohh starting to sound a little Australian.
Hahaha

vinithebr

• Rep: -25
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2022, 09:01:22 PM »
I haven't watched a single game but I'm hoping for Germany or Brasil to be out before they face each other, the 7-1 jokes are annoying and I don't want history to repeat itself.

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2022, 01:29:48 AM »

He's old but can see why a coach would want his experience in there. Doubtful another Montreal player in his place would have fared better. You guys went gung ho and it briefly worked, but it was always going to be a very long shot. And yes of all people don't tell Balkans you're going to fuck them.

People are sleeping on Morocco a bit. Great individual players and this time around they seem to gel as a team too. They've crumbled under pressure before however so let's see.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2022, 04:06:17 AM »
Has any one heard anything about the ball being too light or something? I swear there's only been like one shot from the edge of the box in the entire comp that hasnt ended up halfway out the stadium.

I'm also almost at breaking point with this 10 extra passes inside the box/nobody taking a shot bullshit lol. Serbia somehow managed to score on but it was painful how many extra touches they had to add. Cameroon bring the shit back level and then loses all intensity would rather tap the ball fifty times or physically jog into the defenders than try take the lead

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2022, 12:54:54 PM »
That handball was bullshit. Guess karma for Suarez being an extra goalie that time

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2022, 09:13:54 AM »
FUKN BONZA!!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2022, 10:18:41 AM »
Heartbreaker for Tunisia

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2022, 10:32:21 AM »
Heartbreaker for Tunisia
They'd have to be pissed Aus got over them. Aus actually played worse against them than they did when they got rolled by France.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2022, 11:28:32 AM »
I would like to say I've made the following accurate predictions elsewhere and made 0 dollars from them.
-Canada to finish with 0 points (edit this hasn't happened yet)
-Wales to finish bottom
-USA to advance

I'm also saying Brazil won't get to the semis.  Portugal or Spain to win it.  Gun to head Portugal.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2022, 08:33:38 PM »
Know fuck all about soccer, but made a decent sized bet with friends for Argentina to win at the start of the WC. Made a low risk bet on them today to win, which was a nice little profit. No clue what chance they have to win at this point, but let's fucking go Argentina.

Irvine-Sucks.com

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2022, 08:51:26 PM »
they have a solid chance, but don't think it will happen. good thing is their road to the semis is fairly easy.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2022, 11:13:47 PM »
Know fuck all about soccer, but made a decent sized bet with friends for Argentina to win at the start of the WC. Made a low risk bet on them today to win, which was a nice little profit. No clue what chance they have to win at this point, but let's fucking go Argentina.
You're up against a tired looking Australia team next so your chances are pretty good for at least another round

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2022, 12:21:53 AM »
well congrats Australia!

I watched France-Tunisia with my kids and France was playing so badly (it was a B team C team) they both got bored and stopped watching halfway through haha....Then came back for Griezman's disallowed goal! Wich was cancelled AFTER the restart, so the French federation has actually filed a complaint to fifa. Noone cares that much as it does not change the qualifying result but IMO it sets a bad precedent if goals can be cancelled whenever....The ref was pretty bad generally I guess.

From a french point of view this game showed our bench really lacks quality and the absence of Pogba and Kante is very noticeable in midfield. Anyways I'm just happy we made it out the group, despite the winner's curse. I have real bad memories of the 2002 WC, when we failed to score a single goal as title holders! Now I'm thinking if no important player gets injured and the "Mbappe cheat code" produces some magic now and then....who knows! Tournament seems pretty open actually.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 09:19:26 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2022, 08:27:13 AM »
Well Canada has figured out that Concacaf level ain't the same as a world cup...and once Borjan stopped wearing tracksuits he became Samson shorn of his locks.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2022, 08:37:21 AM »
Swear Canada just scored and everyone moved on like nothing happened. Looked like the ball bounced past the goal line usually they'd stop for var and all the rest and show a little animation graphic thing but nothing

Scholesey

• Rep: 24
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2022, 08:40:55 AM »
Don’t sleep on Croatia.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2022, 08:56:52 AM »
Croatia even luckier than Poland to still be in the competition.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2022, 09:00:54 AM »
Feel like I'm the most uncultured football fan, I'm no lover of "the beautiful game" but seriously what the fuck are these teams doing? You know you have to win or you're going home so why do literally nothing for a hundred minutes. At least Mexico gave it an honest try. Morrocco too but fuck for half these they barely even considered trying to score a goal

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2022, 09:19:08 AM »
Never in a million years would I have imagined Morocco topping a group that had Belgium and Croatia.....

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2022, 09:28:38 AM »
It's a new age. I'm telling yous all the euro teams are going home early and they're all gonna pretend they did it on purpose as some kind of protest/ say they aren't doing the world cup anymore for some kind of moral or environmental reasons

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2022, 09:36:22 AM »
It's a new age. I'm telling yous all the euro teams are going home early and they're all gonna pretend they did it on purpose as some kind of protest/ say they aren't doing the world cup anymore for some kind of moral or environmental reasons

say what ?? haha you seriously think that? I live in Belgium and I can tell you people here are pissed about exiting now....
and they aren't talking about the climate, they are talking about the next big tournament!
Also I very much doubt that we will not see a final with at least one European team.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2022, 09:50:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

say what ?? haha you seriously think that? I live in Belgium and I can tell you people here are pissed about exiting now....
and they aren't talking about the climate, they are talking about the next big tournament!
Also I very much doubt that we will not see a final with at least one European team.
Lol no not honestly. Very much jokingly but it would be very funny if it happened.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2022, 10:21:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Lol no not honestly. Very much jokingly but it would be very funny if it happened.

Mmm no. Making jokes about football is not allowed.

hahaha

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2022, 10:32:12 AM »
Feel like I'm the most uncultured football fan, I'm no lover of "the beautiful game" but seriously what the fuck are these teams doing? You know you have to win or you're going home so why do literally nothing for a hundred minutes. At least Mexico gave it an honest try. Morrocco too but fuck for half these they barely even considered trying to score a goal

You're not wrong, it's a pandemic of clean sheet cowardice. Teams go out not to concede rather than score. Look at Belgium, so preoccupied with taking out Ziyech and Hakimi their entire squad leaned to that side of the field, unable to put any plays together themselves. So many teams are bogged down in a negative approach they don't have a game of their own, even once they have nothing left to lose. It makes sense that coaches have teams play like this to be sure - they lack time and/or talent to practice a better gameplay. It's a shame Italy is not there because they have been a rare exception the last couple years. But arguably it's a reason for their not qualifying, too.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2022, 11:06:58 AM »

You are joking? Sure they need a good striker and a goalie, but to compare them to Poland is a bit extreme.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2022, 12:55:27 PM »
Wow what a day of footie.  Congrats to Japan!  Morocco and Spain will be a nice rivalry match.  Frenchie what's the Belgian reaction to the Moroccan rioting?  Surely there will be riots in Spain no matter the result.

Expand Quote
[close]

You are joking? Sure they need a good striker and a goalie, but to compare them to Poland is a bit extreme.

I mean about what happened in their 3rd games.  Lukaku couldn't hit a barn door.  Croatia obviously a much better side than Poland.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2022, 01:04:29 PM »
japan won my heart. my favorite team alongside brazil

glad to see belgium and germany go