Author Topic: World Cup 2022  (Read 8869 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
World Cup 2022
« on: November 21, 2022, 08:03:41 AM »
Figured a dedicated space might be good now that some of us have made peace with realized we were full of shit when we pretended we were going to take the high ground.  (Six goals will do that to you).   

I figure we have a pretty worldly group of Pals and might attract more interest here than in the usual soccer/football thread

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
Re: World Cup 2022
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 08:11:38 AM »
Not much to say yet. First goal by Ecuador rejected for offside?? I haven't played some time now but I can't really see it.
Will never understand teams like Iran. You can't win if you don't shoot.

For people trying to figure out how to stream it sbs Australia is a free television channel. They have an app or you can just watch on their site (but prob need a VPN or whatever)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 08:14:55 AM »
There was a weird, reviewed two arm take down at the start of England Iran that got waived off but a shirt pull in the dying seconds that got a penalty. 

(Joking) the refs must not want anything to happen in the opening minutes in case people haven’t tuned in yet

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 08:30:51 AM »
Other things already apparent I'll never understand. How can you get to a world cup and not be able to kick a ball first touch and/or still have to double back to get the ball on your prefered foot like a fukn baby.
Also I know they don't care at this level but the amount of dogshit tackles, playing off the ground and foul throws will always seem weird to me

birdplops

• Rep: 25
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 11:38:47 AM »
Trying to get the Iran keeper to stay on with his head injury, throwing water in his face, was pretty messed up.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 03:59:17 PM »
I don’t give a shit about this sport but it feels like I should be hearing more about players forgoing the cup in protest. None of these fucks got a sense of integrity I see. I heard the Europeans aren’t going to go through with their plan to wear pro LGBTQ armbands because of yellow cards or some shit. Cowardice.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 08:43:17 PM »
It's easy to talk big when it's not what you've worked your entire life for. If they hadn't worn the armbands to begin with you'd never of even known it was an option. It was only the first round it would prob be a bigger impact if they do it later in the tournament

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 08:51:36 PM »
It's easy to talk big when it's not what you've worked your entire life for. If they hadn't worn the armbands to begin with you'd never of even known it was an option. It was only the first round it would prob be a bigger impact if they do it later in the tournament

Yeah.  I think about the Welsh players who get the first opportunity to represent their country in the World Cup in 64 years and I don’t begrudge them one iota of not jeopardizing that.   

I also wonder if it’s a bit of a Streisand effect on Qatars part.  Banning it only makes the conversation louder.   Most likely wouldn’t have paid attention to the arm bands or Belgian away shirts in the first place

G raham

• Rep: -47
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 08:58:53 PM »
Something about the fact that it only occurs once every 4 years clicked with me and im super fucking hyped for it now. Hoping England or Argentina wins, idk whos good i know those countries are decent tho. Slightly low scoring/ repetitive play and the injury faking are my only qualms
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 09:14:26 PM »
Something about the fact that it only occurs once every 4 years clicked with me and im super fucking hyped for it now. Hoping England or Argentina wins, idk whos good i know those countries are decent tho. Slightly low scoring/ repetitive play and the injury faking are my only qualms

All games that are 0-0 for a while aren’t equal.   Some are slogs, but some are amazing moments of building tension waiting for that dam to burst thst you don’t get in other sports

G raham

• Rep: -47
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 09:51:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All games that are 0-0 for a while aren’t equal.   Some are slogs, but some are amazing moments of building tension waiting for that dam to burst thst you don’t get in other sports

yeah thats fair. whos tipped to win it this year?
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 10:18:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Won’t really have a good sense until the knockout portion.  We’re in the seeding process right now so the top two teams from each table make it to the knockout, so it’s hard to really predict until you see that layout.   England went so far last World Cup because they were on a significantly easier half of the bracket

That being said - Brazil, Argentina, Germany are always easy picks before anything has been played.   I did a preliminary bracket that had a France/Germany final, but that was before France had a few injuries

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2022, 12:38:42 AM »

WC football is quite low level and cagey. Indeed it's mostly those four-year intervals that lend it suspense.

What do we make of the stoppage times? Apparently it's the legend Pierluigi Collina's doing. Measured precisely to counter time wasted in goal celebrations etc. E.g. nine (!) minutes after yesterday's (from what I read) uneventful USA - Wales second half.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2022, 12:47:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

WC football is quite low level and cagey. Indeed it's mostly those four-year intervals that lend it suspense.

What do we make of the stoppage times? Apparently it's the legend Pierluigi Collina's doing. Measured precisely to counter time wasted in goal celebrations etc. E.g. nine (!) minutes after yesterday's (from what I read) uneventful USA - Wales second half.

Wales equalized in like the 84th minute.   Not that uneventful!

Didn’t really notice it at first.  The England match had a 15 minute stoppage time in he first half, but that seemed to make sense based off the keeper injury.   Then the second half had 9 minutes of stoppage time, so I guess thst seemed off but it was very early in the morning and I was kinda slipping in attention and assumed someone else got hurt

excitableboy

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2022, 01:05:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Wales equalized in like the 84th minute.   Not that uneventful!

Didn’t really notice it at first.  The England match had a 15 minute stoppage time in he first half, but that seemed to make sense based off the keeper injury.   Then the second half had 9 minutes of stoppage time, so I guess thst seemed off but it was very early in the morning and I was kinda slipping in attention and assumed someone else got hurt

I guess it was one of the better games so far(?) Just that one pen and a bit of Bale celebrating warrants nine minutes I'm puzzled about. Although all the little throw-ins, cramps and whatnot could amount to that much. We could easily see matches with upwards of fifteen minutes of added time. Might as well introduce the stop-clock at that point.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2022, 01:06:56 AM »
Wales did score late but fuck they were scared to have a crack at goal. They must of got to the box a dozen times and gone for the extra pass instead of looking up.
I think the correctly adding all the stoppage time makes sense and won't seem that weird anymore in just a couple days.

excitableboy

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2022, 01:38:50 AM »
Wales did score late but fuck they were scared to have a crack at goal. They must of got to the box a dozen times and gone for the extra pass instead of looking up.
I think the correctly adding all the stoppage time makes sense and won't seem that weird anymore in just a couple days.

I'm all for maximizing real playing time. Added time may not be the optimal solution but for now it's the best FIFA can do. It's up to the Home Nations to OK a change of rules (like a stop-clock). They finally went ahead with VAR also so who knows.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2022, 02:22:46 AM »
Plus, anything to chip away at that interminable time between matches

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2022, 04:02:37 AM »
Dam that Saudi defender just got fukn rocked by his own keeper. Put that Lennie Kirk thread aside for a second that's how people fukn die. Hope he's alright.
Edit: he gave a thumbs up so that's good

SPOILER:  fuck yes! Goalie was on fire. A bit too much fucking around for my liking. Whenever I see a team go try settle in a corner I hope the field gets struck by lightning I swear it's never ever worked before
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 04:09:49 AM by Mean salto »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2022, 04:29:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Won’t really have a good sense until the knockout portion.  We’re in the seeding process right now so the top two teams from each table make it to the knockout, so it’s hard to really predict until you see that layout.   England went so far last World Cup because they were on a significantly easier half of the bracket

That being said - Brazil, Argentina, Germany are always easy picks before anything has been played.   I did a preliminary bracket that had a France/Germany final, but that was before France had a few injuries

And that is why I don’t make predictions until the round of 16 is set.   group c (?) could get really interesting.   

excitableboy

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2022, 04:49:52 AM »
Dam that Saudi defender just got fukn rocked by his own keeper. Put that Lennie Kirk thread aside for a second that's how people fukn die. Hope he's alright.
Edit: he gave a thumbs up so that's good

SPOILER:  fuck yes! Goalie was on fire. A bit too much fucking around for my liking. Whenever I see a team go try settle in a corner I hope the field gets struck by lightning I swear it's never ever worked before

That was an awful collision.

Tuned in at 2-1. Nice upset from SA, who have many players from the same team. Perhaps that helped them.

Noticed the ads that say 'dance to our beat'. Qatar rubbing in how it made Fifa its groveling puppet.

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2022, 06:23:15 AM »
Hell yeah just logged in and wanted to see whats up in the football thread but this is a better option!

I couldn't believe when my coworker told me Argentina lost against Saudi Arabia

I fucking LOVE world cups! The only odd thing is it's almost christmas and a WC is happening lol

England is a beast playing football and for sure will go far

Hopefully Portugal gets to the final! Ronaldo sure wants that trophy under his belt

Edit: anyone playing the WC fantasy?

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2022, 11:03:10 AM »
That Argentina game was annoying.
Really interested to see how th cup develops.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2022, 12:38:27 PM »
Le Blues are using the game against Australia as a training exercise.

Lester Bullocks

• Rep: 18
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2022, 07:08:14 PM »
Unexpected and hilarious that Argentina lost(have never been a fan as I've been a Brazil supporter since I was young), the Saudi Arabia goalie made some great saves.  I don't expect the US to make it past the first round, would be cool to see Mexico go far.  As previously mentioned France toyed with Australia, they need to lose the man buns though.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2022, 08:31:11 PM »

I didn’t watch but I saw AUS briefly up up a goal and I got excited

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2022, 09:07:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Aus is always a tuf watch. Their only hope was to attack a lot and after fifteen mins they stopped doing that. I feel Aus is going to return to the dark times of not even qualifying anymore. (Altho they're upping the number of teams next time so maybe not) oh well at least we had a good while of not being a total joke.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2022, 09:48:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Aus is always a tuf watch. Their only hope was to attack a lot and after fifteen mins they stopped doing that. I feel Aus is going to return to the dark times of not even qualifying anymore. (Altho they're upping the number of teams next time so maybe not) oh well at least we had a good while of not being a total joke.

I miss Harry Kewell.   Always wanted him to shine at Liverpool but it was not to be with injuries

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 760
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2022, 02:07:57 AM »
I some how avoided the match last night. Was playing darts with mates when it started. We left to another bar that never plays football. Been reading about the matches in fairness.
Glad it looks like the Germans are actually gonna go after FIFA over the arm bands, funny how it was first accepted, then forbidden with a yellow card, then now they are saying a game suspension...let alone the bullshit over the Beer...

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2022, 02:30:17 AM »
I some how avoided the match last night. Was playing darts with mates when it started. We left to another bar that never plays football. Been reading about the matches in fairness.
Glad it looks like the Germans are actually gonna go after FIFA over the arm bands, funny how it was first accepted, then forbidden with a yellow card, then now they are saying a game suspension...let alone the bullshit over the Beer...

Rumors of sport sanctions against countries too.

All that aside, we can be happy for harmless himbo Grealish making that kids day with the goal celebration and hopefully getting some donations going for cerebral palsy