Author Topic: World Cup 2022  (Read 8857 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
Re: World Cup 2022
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2022, 03:12:06 AM »
Think that Saudi player broke his jaw and cheekbone/eyesocket. Is that the worst injury ever in a world cup? Fukn unlucky.

Fuck FIFA. It wouldn't ever happen but would be so good if everyone was like fuck you we'll make our own sport and made a game that didn't go for two hours

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2022, 07:08:21 AM »
Banzai!!
My ideal 4 are Mexico, Japan, Wales then Poland for stupid family tree reasons. Obvs I'd like Aus to do well too but I'm a realist.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2022, 07:19:06 AM »
Now I'm extra pissed that this fucking bullshit is in Qatar, I would have loved to watch that match. Bud should just give Japan the beer just for that result.

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2022, 08:16:38 AM »
Now I'm extra pissed that this fucking bullshit is in Qatar, I would have loved to watch that match. Bud should just give Japan the beer just for that result.

So you're not watching it because you don't want to? Like a boycott?

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2022, 08:36:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah boycotting it. I love football and the world cup is normally a great time but fuck this one. I feel bad for the players. Modern football sucks.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2022, 08:56:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah boycotting it. I love football and the world cup is normally a great time but fuck this one. I feel bad for the players. Modern football sucks.

I really enjoyed the Brazil World Cup but I didn’t watch Russia and I am not watching Qatar. The fact that it is illegal to be gay is enough reason to not support this event. Not to mention slave labor. Also, after watching the FIFA documentary I am just turned off.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80221113

Lester Bullocks

• Rep: 18
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2022, 09:36:15 AM »
Spain is getting spanked by Netherlands.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2022, 09:40:46 AM »

Do you mean Costa Rica?  And do you mean Spain is spanking Costa Rica?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 09:47:28 AM by Atiba Applebum »

Lester Bullocks

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2022, 09:50:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you mean Croatia?  And do you mean Spain is spanking Croatia?
Oh shit, for some reason there's a replay of 2014 happening on Peacock and I didn't even notice because I'm sick and out of it(and also a burnout in general).

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2022, 10:18:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you mean Croatia?  And do you mean Spain is spanking Croatia?
[close]
Oh shit, for some reason there's a replay of 2014 happening on Peacock and I didn't even notice because I'm sick and out of it(and also a burnout in general).

Hah thought that was the case.  It’s the one with the amazing Van Persie diving header/volley

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2022, 02:40:35 PM »
Think that Saudi player broke his jaw and cheekbone/eyesocket. Is that the worst injury ever in a world cup? Fukn unlucky.

Fuck FIFA. It wouldn't ever happen but would be so good if everyone was like fuck you we'll make our own sport and made a game that didn't go for two hours

Look up "Schumacher collision with Battiston 82" - German keeper destroyed a French player who lost 2 teeth, consciousness and had 3 cracked ribs

God damn it Davies. You don't take penalties for Bayern, David who is a striker for Lille does...your glory hunting killed us with that weak ass PK. If you had told me Canada lost 1-0 to Belgium and I knew nothing else I'd have thought it was great. Having taken the afternoon off and the kids out of school to watch us absolutely boss the #2 team in the world and still go into the half down a goal - I was losing it. Great teams can have an off day - get one chance and take it. Us lesser mortals have to play a perfect game or we're done.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 02:58:43 PM by nonickname »
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2022, 04:13:41 PM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2022, 08:55:30 PM »
Expand Quote

England is a beast playing football and for sure will go far

[close]

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClOk3qtuF7H/

Pfff acting like England didn’t spank Panama 6-1 in last WCs group stages.    MIB should go back to being excited that the USMNT manager is a “sneakerhead”

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2022, 12:01:54 AM »
You mad bro?

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2022, 10:07:20 AM »
The end of the Portugal vs Ghana game was wild. Portugal goalie was holding ball sets it down not realizing ghana player is behind him, dude runs to steal ball but slips. Would’ve embarrassing if he scored

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2022, 10:13:30 AM »
The end of the Portugal vs Ghana game was wild. Portugal goalie was holding ball sets it down not realizing ghana player is behind him, dude runs to steal ball but slips. Would’ve embarrassing if he scored
Yeah kinda thinking wouldn't it be offside tho? He was already offside before the ball was back in play. Guess there was no stoppage tho so it's just continuing on.
It was definatly refreshing over a bunch of 0-0s. Really wanted it for Ghana tho

Lester Bullocks

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2022, 11:43:30 AM »
I'm at work and can't watch Brazil VS Serbia, endless bummer.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2022, 02:52:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Look up "Schumacher collision with Battiston 82" - German keeper destroyed a French player who lost 2 teeth, consciousness and had 3 cracked ribs

God damn it Davies. You don't take penalties for Bayern, David who is a striker for Lille does...your glory hunting killed us with that weak ass PK. If you had told me Canada lost 1-0 to Belgium and I knew nothing else I'd have thought it was great. Having taken the afternoon off and the kids out of school to watch us absolutely boss the #2 team in the world and still go into the half down a goal - I was losing it. Great teams can have an off day - get one chance and take it. Us lesser mortals have to play a perfect game or we're done.

oh man. That Germany-France semi-final in 82 was my first exposure to international football.... I was 8 and I remember it so vividly. there was no red card, no penalty, nothing. Injustice in its purest form. left the whole country traumatized, even awaking bad memories of WWII. sounds silly but it is what is.....French and german heads of state actually released a joint statement to call for appeasement. Just crazy all around. for those who have not seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSnGCoFKKRA

as for the Australia game, I just want to say I am super glad for Giroud. these 2 goals made him the all-time top goal scorer for France (tied with Henry) and his whole career is a testament to a positive attitude and hard work. Unbelievable to think he started to play in Ligue 1 so late, at 24 and had his first cap at 25.

oh, also: Jewel Runner, you must be new at this sport if you think England is "beast at football" hahaha.....english national team has not won anyting in decades.

edit: Fifa video can't be embedded apparently....here's another archive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGq7VcaHoqo&t=3s
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 03:13:37 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2022, 03:18:33 AM »
Not that it's a contest but I think the Saudi guy copped it a little worse. Plus it was collateral damage but then we've got a billion more cameras etc going now.
Funnily enough I played in a stupidly ruf league and shit like that would happen every week. Not as bad as broken jaws but people getting bodied like it's hockey was normal. Still I guess you don't expect that bullshit at pro level

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2022, 03:41:21 AM »
Not that it's a contest but I think the Saudi guy copped it a little worse. Plus it was collateral damage but then we've got a billion more cameras etc going now.
Funnily enough I played in a stupidly ruf league and shit like that would happen every week. Not as bad as broken jaws but people getting bodied like it's hockey was normal. Still I guess you don't expect that bullshit at pro level

I doubted you at first  but it seems you're right: Saoudi player actually had to have pancreas surgery! crazy.
but yeah the fact is, pretty much all the guys I knew that played club football got broke off at least once. Knee surgery, broken leg or something.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2022, 04:18:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I doubted you at first  but it seems you're right: Saoudi player actually had to have pancreas surgery! crazy.
but yeah the fact is, pretty much all the guys I knew that played club football got broke off at least once. Knee surgery, broken leg or something.
Fuck did we just do a speak of the devil lol. Almost had a new example in Wales v iran

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2022, 12:59:12 PM »
I’m gonna be honest, I really wanted the us to win out of hype and because of the memes.

The game was alright.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2022, 01:02:33 PM »
I’m gonna be honest, I really wanted the us to win out of hype and because of the memes.

The game was alright.

I thought it was boring as hell, but fine with final score.   England has a good enough goal differential that should see them through should they lose wales and England beats Iran, but who knows

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2022, 04:03:47 AM »
Fuck that last thirty felt like three hours. Hate watching Aus play even worse with the commentary (not sure what coverage people getting else where but Aus commentators when Aus plays are so horrid. Talk about everything like Aus is winning 100-0 and can do no wrong)
well now on to get spanked by some Vikings

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2022, 05:01:03 AM »
Fuck that last thirty felt like three hours. Hate watching Aus play even worse with the commentary (not sure what coverage people getting else where but Aus commentators when Aus plays are so horrid. Talk about everything like Aus is winning 100-0 and can do no wrong)

That’s how I feel with Americans on commentary.   The fact that every article written today makes it out to be a victory that the US held England (bc they think England is an upper tier team for some reason) when England played like a team that knew it didn’t have to win to be fine in the group.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2022, 08:07:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That’s how I feel with Americans on commentary.   The fact that every article written today makes it out to be a victory that the US held England (bc they think England is an upper tier team for some reason) when England played like a team that knew it didn’t have to win to be fine in the group.

As a non-Mexican from Latin America. Most coverage in the US in Spanish is biased. Mexico can be down 50-2 but those 2 goals will be replayed like 50 times each.

But… I’m still watching in Spanish because the commentary is so much better than English. The ball won’t be rolling and they already have you sweating hyped up.

Mexico’s better players are out and no one is happy with the line up. Which is a reflection of the cup. Because it doesn’t make sense but the teams are powering through.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2022, 03:54:17 AM »
Fucking hell Wales, Mexico and Japan.
Is it so much to ask that in a hundred minutes of a sport where you have to score more goals than the other team to win you at least a few times in the game actually try to score some fucking goals.
You'd think somewhere leading up to the world cup they'd of had some practice shooting but come game time they think passing horizontally ten times in the box is going to somehow get past the keeper.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 07:44:21 AM by Mean salto »

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2022, 07:37:18 AM »
Let’s go Canada.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2022, 07:58:29 AM »
Man, Belgium losing to Morocco.   Loving these giant-killer games.    Gotta think Brazil has a loss due

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2022, 08:07:12 AM »
Would be funny if all the euro teams got knocked out early and they just cancelled the next world cup. Like oh yeah actually ummm it's unethical for all of us to travel we're just going to do a euro cup from now on. It's because of the environment.....