Author Topic: World Cup 2022  (Read 9062 times)

excitableboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
Re: World Cup 2022
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2022, 01:29:33 PM »
Bring on the spotless Japan locker room pics. Exemplary squad.

D10S

• Rep: -54
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2022, 03:10:29 PM »
Japan beating both Germany and Spain will forever change the game. Watch now they will start pumping out the Yutos and Ginwoos on the pitch.

Costa Rica cleaned up their act after a demoralizing start of the tournament.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2022, 12:04:07 AM »
Wow what a day of footie.  Congrats to Japan!  Morocco and Spain will be a nice rivalry match.  Frenchie what's the Belgian reaction to the Moroccan rioting?  Surely there will be riots in Spain no matter the result.

you mean the riots in Brussels? It's not talked about much, cause that kind of stuff happens rather often in Brussels.... actually the exact same situation happened in 2017 when Morocco qualified for the WC by beating the Ivory Coast.
Plus the main topic here is the elimination! That's the thing with football, it brings out so much emotion, and sometimes the worst ones. The French/Belgian rivalry is actually kinda unhealthy....

Anyways yesterday was nuts. I feel Japan have become a lot more streetwise after being naively eliminated by Belgium in 2018. I'll be rooting for them besides Les Bleus, for sure   8)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2022, 01:36:28 AM »
I didn’t watch, but I take it there wasn’t the sense that Spain threw in the towel so they’d get 2nd in their group and not have to face Brazil in the quarters

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2022, 02:21:00 AM »
I didn’t watch, but I take it there wasn’t the sense that Spain threw in the towel so they’d get 2nd in their group and not have to face Brazil in the quarters

nah. At one point Costa Rica was leading! So Spain and Germany were both out.... or at least that's what the commentators said. I have to say the second Japanese goal was iffy... I wonder what the spanish media say about it.

marty mcfly

« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2022, 04:32:03 AM »
We suck so bad at soccer, can’t believe there was a time when we played good!
- a German

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2022, 06:58:00 AM »
Was following the group e matchs last night. Fair play to Japan!
This cracked me up thou:

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2022, 07:00:43 AM »
Now that we have almost all the matches for the round of 16 matches, who do you see as the winner? Of course, I hope France we have all the ability to win ! But we must remain suspicious.. I am afraid against Poland, I am too traumatized by the euro against Switzerland..  :'(

Or Brazil

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2022, 07:35:25 AM »
Was following the group e matchs last night. Fair play to Japan!
This cracked me up thou:

That's pretty good indeed. Also shows that the VAR made the right call.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2022, 08:06:19 AM »
Now that we have almost all the matches for the round of 16 matches, who do you see as the winner? Of course, I hope France we have all the ability to win ! But we must remain suspicious.. I am afraid against Poland, I am too traumatized by the euro against Switzerland..  :'(

Or Brazil

I think the champion will be Iberian.  Portugal has the best XI imo, although having a world class striker shouldn't be underrated, so France and England are up there too.  Idk why but I just don't see Brazil winning it despite the easy path they've been given (if they win today).

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2022, 09:03:04 AM »
God it’d be so depressing if the final was between Neymar or Ronaldo getting a World Cup.   A consolation might be Neymar not actually playing any meaningful minutes due to injury.   

At what point does Ghana go to war with Uruguay

Scholesey

• Rep: 24
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2022, 09:06:24 AM »
Son’s trough pass was ingenious!

Glad it’s Korea over Urugay.

Edit:Also the last minutes of Ghana vs Urugay was like a fuckin sunday league, but so funny to watch.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2022, 09:11:26 AM »
I think I've picked the opposite game to watch than everyone on here every time so far. Glad Korea got it bummer for Ghana. Not to take away from Korea but felt like Portugal was kinda taking it easy. Is it still yellows for shirts off. I swear they started getting players to wear those sports bras just to discourage public top removals

Come on Cameroon!

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2022, 09:20:04 AM »
Yeah Portugal took it easy since we were already qualified but I'm not taking any merit off Korea. They played really good and went after what they wanted

The second goal was a beautiful counterattack

Since we're first in our group we are not playing against Brazil so that's a plus even tho I think we would beat them

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2022, 09:27:53 AM »
Knockout stage look perfectly poised with Argentina Brazil on one side and England, Portugal, Spain, France on the opposite.  December 10 might be England France and Portugal Spain.  That'll be amazing. 

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2022, 09:43:19 AM »
Not happening. It's gonna be USA, Australia, Japan, Korea, Morrocco, Senegal, Cameroon, Poland.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2022, 09:51:05 AM »
Nice one Korea! 

France breaks the curse this year.  Mbappe is terrifying.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2022, 09:56:39 AM »
Gutted for Uruguay. Them against Brazil would have been brilliant.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2022, 10:01:17 AM »
The Korea victory made me emotional. Glad to see more Asian teams advancing in the tournament.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2022, 10:31:19 AM »
The Korea victory made me emotional. Glad to see more Asian teams advancing in the tournament.
More Asian teams than South American. That's gotta be a first

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2022, 11:54:19 AM »
Gutted for Uruguay. Them against Brazil would have been brilliant.

99% of the world was rooting against Suarez I'd say.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2022, 12:22:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

2 Asian 2 African and 2 South American teams.   I know AUS is in the Asian conference, but it seems weird to consider them an Asian team

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2022, 12:24:46 PM »
Agreed, it's so obnoxious that they take an Asian spot in the World cup, but at least Asia is getting a lot more spot in the next world cup.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2022, 12:40:46 PM »
Agreed, it's so obnoxious that they take an Asian spot in the World cup, but at least Asia is getting a lot more spot in the next world cup.

I think next World Cup is when they do the big expansion, so there’s going to be a ton of countries repping

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2022, 02:13:20 PM »
groups are set and what an exciting finish for most of them .. now that the knockout round is about to begin, let’s see your bracket predictions

ive got argentina taking it .. im a messi fan boy and need to see him win this, fuck

What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2022, 02:17:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

2 Asian 2 African and 2 South American teams.   I know AUS is in the Asian conference, but it seems weird to consider them an Asian team

It's kinda weird culturally speaking but it makes sense regionally and since they play against Asian teams all the time.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2022, 06:27:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

It's kinda weird culturally speaking but it makes sense regionally and since they play against Asian teams all the time.

Right - the Oceania division got absorbed into the Asian group it seems - but I wouldn’t refer AuS as an Asian team.   I’d caveat Asian Division or whatever it’s officially called.    It’s a cool achievement nonetheless.

Does Japan/S Korea matches get heated because of their history or has that kind of gone away in the younger generations

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2022, 08:48:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Right - the Oceania division got absorbed into the Asian group it seems - but I wouldn’t refer AuS as an Asian team.   I’d caveat Asian Division or whatever it’s officially called.    It’s a cool achievement nonetheless.

Does Japan/S Korea matches get heated because of their history or has that kind of gone away in the younger generations

They get heated in terms of fanbases going wild for their country but not in terms of players getting chippy or anything like that. There's definitely very strong nationalism and occasional internet beefs or trash talk, which I guess is not too different from any other international soccer/football matches.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2022, 09:03:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think next World Cup is when they do the big expansion, so there’s going to be a ton of countries repping
Obnoxious? Fukn choke yourself. First look at an atlas.
For thirty years for Aus to get into the world cup we had to beat every team in the pacific islands which we always did then every team in South Asia which we always did then play in Asia anyway. We've been part of Asian football longer than most of you have even payed attention to Asian teams

Also I know they took it easy but fuck yeah Cameroon. No big team got away unscathed in the entire group stage.

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2022, 09:28:27 PM »
Uruguay got jobbed...and before you say "karma" - Suarez's handball was called, he got a red and Gyan missed the penalty. Today however both Nunez and Cavani were fouled in the area...now after saying all that "MY gawd what a through ball by Son" for their victory. That ball was outrageous.

Hopefully the Dutch aren't throwing up on the field tomorrow as LVG admitted they have the flu in camp. A bit of gamesmanship?
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk