Author Topic: World Cup 2022  (Read 9059 times)

excitableboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
Re: World Cup 2022
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2022, 12:32:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I want to root for Senegal but on the other hand I would love for England to have to play France and get crushed.  Mbappe for SOTY.
[close]

Mbappe dropped some heavy shit today.
[close]

for those who missed it.....dude scored 16 goals in his last 14 games with France!

http://www.youtube.com/shorts/QeJTo8A29nQ

Also Giroud became best all-time scorer for les Bleus. Underappreciated player IMO..... Not celebrated as much as Zidane, Platini, Henry or other French greats for some reason. I don't get it honestly....
[close]
Could it be it's harder to appreciate a talent during their own time or something?  Zidane, Henry etc have also had all the bonus years of looking back fondly

Maybe he's comparable to the current alien workshop team or something
[close]

IDK, I feel Zidane and the others were regarded as heros in their own time, whereas Giroud lacks that star quality that Mbappe or Benzema have for some reason....

->Scholesey
Your explanation makes sense! I'm more of a rugby guy so a lot of the technical subtleties of football escape me I'm afraid  :-X

Giroud is outstanding but Zidane and Henry are at a different level. Also doesn't help that he was with Arsenal all those years not winning anything.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2022, 01:34:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I want to root for Senegal but on the other hand I would love for England to have to play France and get crushed.  Mbappe for SOTY.
[close]

Mbappe dropped some heavy shit today.
[close]

for those who missed it.....dude scored 16 goals in his last 14 games with France!

http://www.youtube.com/shorts/QeJTo8A29nQ

Also Giroud became best all-time scorer for les Bleus. Underappreciated player IMO..... Not celebrated as much as Zidane, Platini, Henry or other French greats for some reason. I don't get it honestly....
[close]
Could it be it's harder to appreciate a talent during their own time or something?  Zidane, Henry etc have also had all the bonus years of looking back fondly

Maybe he's comparable to the current alien workshop team or something
[close]

IDK, I feel Zidane and the others were regarded as heros in their own time, whereas Giroud lacks that star quality that Mbappe or Benzema have for some reason....

->Scholesey
Your explanation makes sense! I'm more of a rugby guy so a lot of the technical subtleties of football escape me I'm afraid  :-X
[close]

Giroud is outstanding but Zidane and Henry are at a different level. Also doesn't help that he was with Arsenal all those years not winning anything.

Yeah I think he had a reputation at club level as contributing goals but never changing games, if that makes any sense, so he was never really given his due despite big clubs always being in the running to sign him

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2022, 09:55:27 AM »
Fuuuuck. Now I'm down to my last backup teams Korea and Croatia. I like Morrocco too but can't pretend I picked them before the cup started.

Last time I'll bring it up unless something outlandish happens but I swear the ball sucks lol. Nobody really took a great penalty shot. Maybe apart from the last they only went in because the goalie gambled wrong. You watch penalties from the 90s and the balls almost pulling the net out the ground

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2022, 10:04:21 AM »
Gutted for Japan.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2022, 10:27:26 AM »
Gutted for Japan.
Same.  They get better every cup though.

Let's go Korea you got this. 

Scholesey

• Rep: 24
« Reply #155 on: December 05, 2022, 11:22:29 AM »

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #156 on: December 05, 2022, 11:56:12 AM »
Yo Brazil fucking S. Korea up lol

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2022, 12:08:03 PM »
Yeah, poor Korea.  Rooting hard for em they are just outclassed.
That said Brazil flops significantly more than any other team in the cup this year and it isn't close.  Fuck that team I don't care how great they are.

Scholesey

« Reply #158 on: December 05, 2022, 12:36:48 PM »
What a shot!

rothdigga

• Rep: 575
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #159 on: December 05, 2022, 08:19:01 PM »
Gutted for Japan.
On a plane for Tokyo right now to judge a contest and was really hoping Japan would make it past Croatia just to see how nuts it would be over there in the next round. Bummer to go out like that.  Those PK’s were pretty soft. Being in country when a team is doing good is so epic.  Was in the Netherlands the year they made the final and it was awesome. 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2022, 08:26:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Gutted for Japan.
[close]
On a plane for Tokyo right now to judge a contest and was really hoping Japan would make it past Croatia just to see how nuts it would be over there in the next round. Bummer to go out like that.  Those PK’s were pretty soft. Being in country when a team is doing good is so epic.  Was in the Netherlands the year they made the final and it was awesome.

That was in 2010.   I was in Frankfurt then and I was expecting to be having that feeling, but alas.   Then I was in South Africa literally the day after the final and you wouldn’t have known anything was there

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #161 on: December 05, 2022, 08:54:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That said Brazil flops significantly more than any other team in the cup this year and it isn't close.  Fuck that team I don't care how great they are.

Korea would have lost either way but that second point off a BS penalty for Richarlison's dive really changed the loss into a rout. I was glad Korea scored at least once though and it was a really nice shot.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #162 on: December 05, 2022, 10:08:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Korea would have lost either way but that second point off a BS penalty for Richarlison's dive really changed the loss into a rout. I was glad Korea scored at least once though and it was a really nice shot.
Yeah, but that Richarlison goal was probably one of the best of the tournament so far. That and both of Mbappe's goals from yesterday.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2022, 12:24:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Yeah, but that Richarlison goal was probably one of the best of the tournament so far. That and both of Mbappe's goals from yesterday.

yup those mbappe goals clearly showed there's no problem with the ball, you can absolutely shake the net.... ;)

anyways, OK that's it now I want a France-Brazil final!
(totally agree about the Richarlison penalty though. Just plain BS, just like the Poland penalty vs France btw....)

Finally, about being in a country when a team is doing good....man I'll never forget that night of july 98 in Paris. It was insane. Just to give you guys an idea, I watched the final on a giant screen at Jean Bouin stadium, there were over 20 000 people there and it was packed 2 hours before kick-off, people singing non-stop and shit. Each time les Bleus scored the place went nuts and when the game ended... man I can't even describe it. City-wide pandemonium. Pretty sure I'll never feel that again.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 12:43:49 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2022, 01:15:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

yup those mbappe goals clearly showed there's no problem with the ball, you can absolutely shake the net.... ;)

(totally agree about the Richarlison penalty though. Just plain BS, just like the Poland penalty vs France btw....)

Finally, about being in a country when a team is doing good....man I'll never forget that night of july 98 in Paris. It was insane. Just to give you guys an idea, I watched the final on a giant screen at Jean Bouin stadium, there were over 20 000 people there and it was packed 2 hours before kick-off, people singing non-stop and shit. Each time les Bleus scored the place went nuts and when the game ended... man I can't even describe it. City-wide pandemonium. Pretty sure I'll never feel that again.

Ah I’d love that.  Closest I got was when Boston finally won the World Series but that felt kinda muted since a girl died after being shot in the eye with a rubber bullet when the city folk were celebrating reverse sweeping the Yankees. 

I would NOT like a Brazil/France final.   I would very much like to see Brazil lose as soon as possible.   There’s like a NY Yankees level of arrogance to them and their fans that’s starting to grate on me.   France, I’m only happy for them to make the finals of it keeps Portugal out, but my preference is France loses its next match

(Sorry for all the baseball references)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2022, 01:21:40 AM »
Interesting note about US sports pundits making a meal out of them drawing with England and thus showing the progress of the Men’s team…

In 2006, they drew with eventual cup winners Italy in their group (while losing to Czech Rep and Ghana).   

So basically in 16 years it’s been a lateral bit of progress, probably trending ever so slightly down considering all the attention that is now placed on the sport in America.   

Sorry, just still irritated by that energy from last week

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #166 on: December 06, 2022, 01:39:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Ah I’d love that.  Closest I got was when Boston finally won the World Series but that felt kinda muted since a girl died after being shot in the eye with a rubber bullet when the city folk were celebrating reverse sweeping the Yankees. 

I would NOT like a Brazil/France final.   I would very much like to see Brazil lose as soon as possible.   There’s like a NY Yankees level of arrogance to them and their fans that’s starting to grate on me.   France, I’m only happy for them to make the finals of it keeps Portugal out, but my preference is France loses its next match

what ?! You mean you want England to win that game?? England ??

;)

As for Brazil, I get the arrogance accusation.... But I feel a certain level of arrogance is to be expected when your team is that good for that long. I did enjoy the 2014 7-1 thrashing though..... But they are really looking good this year

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #167 on: December 06, 2022, 02:03:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

;)

As for Brazil, I get the arrogance accusation.... But I feel a certain level of arrogance is to be expected when your team is that good for that long. I did enjoy the 2014 7-1 thrashing though..... But they are really looking good this year

Yes, that is and has always been my team.    For some reason it’s harder for people to understand than if I was an Italian-American rooting for Italy, but when I got into it like 20 years ago, the US team was a non-entity and it was easier to follow England games on what was televised

Scholesey

« Reply #168 on: December 06, 2022, 03:42:59 AM »
Interesting note about US sports pundits making a meal out of them drawing with England and thus showing the progress of the Men’s team…

In 2006, they drew with eventual cup winners Italy in their group (while losing to Czech Rep and Ghana).   

So basically in 16 years it’s been a lateral bit of progress, probably trending ever so slightly down considering all the attention that is now placed on the sport in America.   

Sorry, just still irritated by that energy from last week

Yup, USA in football reminds me of Switzerland in hockey. Big progress.

Meanwhile, here in the Czech republic we just talk about how everyone is thrash and what we have won in the past, but we’ve missed the progress train.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #169 on: December 06, 2022, 03:55:23 AM »
I find it amazing that this is the first time England and France will play against each other in a knockout round

It's crazy yes .. and the match is going to be incredible and stressful ..  :P ;D It's going to look a bit like France - Belgium in 2018 .. however, I reassure myself, Belgium was stronger than England!

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #170 on: December 06, 2022, 06:11:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

;)

[close]

Yes, that is and has always been my team.    For some reason it’s harder for people to understand than if I was an Italian-American rooting for Italy, but when I got into it like 20 years ago, the US team was a non-entity and it was easier to follow England games on what was televised

Oh right, I get it...well all I can say is that if England beat us, I'll be rooting for all their opponents!
Very predictable from a Frenchman, I know  :-X   

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #171 on: December 06, 2022, 06:32:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

;)

[close]

[close]

Oh right, I get it...well all I can say is that if England beat us, I'll be rooting for all their opponents!
Very predictable from a Frenchman, I know  :-X   

Hahaha I’m under no illusions that everyone hates England.   I have a very good friend who’s half Scottish…

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #172 on: December 06, 2022, 09:29:56 AM »
Fucking hell how do you make it this far in a world cup while being terrified to shoot. Morocco made mad runs into the box just have to basically pass the ball into the net and just stop dead and let themselves be tackled.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #173 on: December 06, 2022, 09:51:16 AM »
fuxk me that moroccan goalie was wild with it there
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #174 on: December 06, 2022, 09:55:04 AM »

BRASIL NÚMERO UM CAMPEÕES DO MUNDO

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
« Reply #175 on: December 06, 2022, 10:00:36 AM »
glad at least morocco made it to the next round in terms of non european/south american teams

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #176 on: December 06, 2022, 10:15:15 AM »
Glad Morocco got threw, the Spanish lads at work might actually shut up tomorrow:-) plus my mate is from there so stoked for him.
Gonna break my boycott Saturday French vs les rosbifs is too good to miss and I'll be at a house party were it will be on.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: December 06, 2022, 10:52:28 AM »
Ronaldo benched for upcoming game vs Switzerland whoa.
Not that he doesn't deserve it but still.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #178 on: December 06, 2022, 11:05:45 AM »
Ronaldo benched for upcoming game vs Switzerland whoa.
Not that he doesn't deserve it but still.

I'm sure he will be substituted on if they go a goal down. Up for the Swiss thou.

el bong

• Rep: 8
« Reply #179 on: December 06, 2022, 11:18:56 AM »
fuxk me that moroccan goalie was wild with it there

the guy is amazing. They've actually been at their best the whole cup. Bono saved some amazing shots when playing against Belgium