Author Topic: World Cup 2022  (Read 9058 times)

McBrandt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -14
Re: World Cup 2022
« Reply #180 on: December 06, 2022, 11:41:14 AM »
Spain didn't even look like they tried in that shootout, it was like they were just passing to the goalkeeper or something.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #181 on: December 06, 2022, 11:48:23 AM »
Spain didn't even look like they tried in that shootout, it was like they were just passing to the goalkeeper or something.
Said the same thing about Japan yesterday. Apparently Spain had been doing tons of penalty kick practice tho so it is kind of odd.

Funny my dad called me to talk about it (he was a proper goalie back in the day) pointing out Spain's keeper also blew it. Like it's pretty standard these days for keepers to dive but if he just stayed on his feet he should of easily saved Morocco's pens. They just kicked it straight up the middle.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #182 on: December 06, 2022, 12:05:40 PM »
Expand Quote
fuxk me that moroccan goalie was wild with it there
[close]

the guy is amazing. They've actually been at their best the whole cup. Bono saved some amazing shots when playing against Belgium

He moves in mysterious ways

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #183 on: December 06, 2022, 12:28:19 PM »
Watching Portugal spank Switzerland makes South Korea's loss yesterday feel a little less shitty now

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 990
« Reply #184 on: December 06, 2022, 12:49:22 PM »

spain is known for their great passing

G raham

• Rep: -49
« Reply #185 on: December 06, 2022, 12:50:42 PM »
anyone else hate penalty shootouts? just feels like a coin flip, such a lame consolation. not sure how eklse theyd do a tiebreak though, maybe something to do with possession% or something.
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #186 on: December 06, 2022, 01:08:03 PM »
anyone else hate penalty shootouts? just feels like a coin flip, such a lame consolation. not sure how eklse theyd do a tiebreak though, maybe something to do with possession% or something.

you’re telling me you’d rather the winner be determined by a possession percentage over a shoot out .. now that would be disappointing as hell if it came to that

i don’t hate penalties at all .. it’s exciting as fuck and is part of the game .. its not luck or by chance that a winner will be determined this way and really shows who has the better team
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #187 on: December 06, 2022, 01:19:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you’re telling me you’d rather the winner be determined by a possession percentage over a shoot out .. now that would be disappointing as hell if it came to that

i don’t hate penalties at all .. it’s exciting as fuck and is part of the game .. its not luck or by chance that a winner will be determined this way and really shows who has the better team

Yeah penalties are great bc they’re infrequent.  Plus, a Golden Goal scenario seems tough bc there needs to be some kind of time limit on these poor guys

McBrandt

• Rep: -14
« Reply #188 on: December 06, 2022, 01:28:59 PM »
Well, after that game now i think I hate Portugal just as much as I hate Brazil. You really need to be going for goals in stoppage time when your up 5 points, and celebrating when you get one?

G raham

• Rep: -49
« Reply #189 on: December 06, 2022, 03:20:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i mean by and large the shooter picks a side n the goalie is just guessing one right? just seems like pure luck
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

rothdigga

• Rep: 575
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #190 on: December 06, 2022, 03:36:04 PM »
I guess you can't just leave them out there for 4 OT's like in the NHL playoffs though right?  Dudes would be pulling hamstrings and all types of shit I'm guessing.  But god damn a long NHL playoff OT is so amazing to watch.  Dudes just losing like 20LBS of water weight during a game and having to eat a full meal between periods just to keep the energy up to keep fighting.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #191 on: December 06, 2022, 05:40:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i mean by and large the shooter picks a side n the goalie is just guessing one right? just seems like pure luck

Nah goalies study that shit and have crib sheets on tendencies and it’s on the taker to time pace, shot, and where to place it.    “Guessing” is a bit reductive

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #192 on: December 06, 2022, 06:45:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Nah goalies study that shit and have crib sheets on tendencies and it’s on the taker to time pace, shot, and where to place it.    “Guessing” is a bit reductive

exactly, both the croatia but especially today the morocco goalie was not a having lucky guesses .. he knew what the shooters were going to do right as they were running up to the ball

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #193 on: December 06, 2022, 07:22:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

exactly, both the croatia but especially today the morocco goalie was not a having lucky guesses .. he knew what the shooters were going to do right as they were running up to the ball
If you don't prematurely dive you can save basically anything that isn't in the absolute top corner or crazy fast bottom corner. Which watching both shootouts nobody really goes for anymore almost every shot was one because the goalie went the wrong way

el bong

• Rep: 8
« Reply #194 on: December 06, 2022, 10:03:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
If you don't prematurely dive you can save basically anything that isn't in the absolute top corner or crazy fast bottom corner. Which watching both shootouts nobody really goes for anymore almost every shot was one because the goalie went the wrong way

Penalties are indeed a reflection of the team's skill. I hear that they're 'all luck' too often. As if landing a tre flip is all luck

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #195 on: December 07, 2022, 12:12:30 AM »
Glad Morocco got threw, the Spanish lads at work might actually shut up tomorrow:-) plus my mate is from there so stoked for him.
Gonna break my boycott Saturday French vs les rosbifs is too good to miss and I'll be at a house party were it will be on.

I see you are becoming more French by the minute haha ;D

About the golden goal: there was still a time limit when they had them. It just meant the game was instantly over when someone scored. If it did't happen, then it was a shoot-out.

anyways, as much as I wanted to root for Morocco (mainly cause I find Spain's style of play boring....)  their fans behaviour really soured me on the team.... Constant whistling when their opponents have the ball is just disrespectful. I noticed it in the Belgium game and it was exactly the same vs Spain.

Finally Portugal is looking real good without Ronaldo....Made me think of the Euro final they won vs France after Ronaldo was injured!

edit: how good was Goncalo Ramos' first goal!! the angle was incredible....The defender, the goalie, the commentators,
me ( :P), noone expected him to take a shot like that, with his left foot too!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 01:04:28 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #196 on: December 09, 2022, 09:49:06 AM »
Holy moly
Croatia don't like doing things the easy way

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #197 on: December 09, 2022, 09:51:26 AM »
Take those wack ass haircuts home Brazil SEE YA

Scholesey

• Rep: 24
« Reply #198 on: December 09, 2022, 09:53:02 AM »
I say I say I say Croatia vs Netherlands and France vs Portugal 🫡

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #199 on: December 09, 2022, 10:19:35 AM »
Kinda glad to see the Brazilian national diving team exit. They went from dancing on the pitch to crying on it

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2548
« Reply #200 on: December 09, 2022, 10:24:46 AM »
Tbh, I don't see why the dancing was controversial to some people. They were just celebrating on the sideline, not taunting the opposition or whatever.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #201 on: December 09, 2022, 10:52:46 AM »
fuck this

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #202 on: December 09, 2022, 12:11:52 PM »
Tbh, I don't see why the dancing was controversial to some people. They were just celebrating on the sideline, not taunting the opposition or whatever.

I personally never found it controversial. Just a celebration like any other. But it was quite a contrast to their exit.

Scholesey

« Reply #203 on: December 09, 2022, 12:33:15 PM »
Looks like the ref doesn’t like the Oranges.

Scholesey

« Reply #204 on: December 09, 2022, 12:54:37 PM »
Looks like the ref doesn’t like the Oranges.

This ref couldn’t keep any of the games he did under control, because of his fear and lack of respect he demands by showing yellow cards.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #205 on: December 09, 2022, 01:07:27 PM »
Argentina what is you doing WOW

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
« Reply #206 on: December 09, 2022, 01:09:31 PM »
Argentina what is you doing WOW

This game is crazy haha

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #207 on: December 09, 2022, 01:11:19 PM »
This shits kinda tedious everybody knows you aren't going to fight so stay on your bench. Kinda hard watching just weeks after rugby league World cup or even real life soccer where if the bench storms the field shits about to get messy (/Messi if you want a pun)

Almost every player must be on a yellow by now. Next rounds gonna be tricky
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 01:59:10 PM by Mean salto »

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2548
« Reply #208 on: December 09, 2022, 01:44:27 PM »
The second Dutch goal was amazing. Dying seconds of stoppage time and so audacious. Maybe the moment of the tournament for me.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #209 on: December 09, 2022, 02:06:58 PM »
The second Dutch goal was amazing. Dying seconds of stoppage time and so audacious. Maybe the moment of the tournament for me.

that goal was insane . can’t believe they went for that and it worked .. as an argentine fan that was not enjoyable