Author Topic: Fourstar is back?  (Read 8271 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Fourstar is back?
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2022, 11:15:44 PM »
Expand Quote
These stories of the absolute ramshackle quality of their clothing intrigue me. Does anybody else have any tales of buying four star clothing only to have your pants split an hour later?
[close]

Idk if I got lucky or what. Everything I had from Fourstar when I was actually hucking and slamming a lot outlasted almost everything else except Volcom. I still have a longsleeve with the pirate logo and a pair of jeans that have outlasted 3 pairs of Carhartts. My longest lasting favorite shirt was also Fourstar now that I think about it but I lost it after about 8 years of use.

I regularly wear the Malto pants and button ups for work and skate, zero complaints.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

urbneathme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2022, 01:41:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wasn’t Fourstar one of the reasons why Koston and Giy left Crail on bad terms?
[close]

Yeah that’s what I keep trying get going on here.   From what I remember, they secretly took the company away from those two aka the founders
[close]

From what I heard it was the opposite. Guy and Koston (plus Ishod and CK etc) were all getting big add ons to their Nike deals to package footwear and clothing as one sponsor, also lots of pressure to do so. Nike wanted those guys in head to toe Nike gear at street league etc. It was more money than those guys had trickling in from 4* so they bailed to take that check.

definitely not. tom gavin wouldn’t have cried in koston’s epicly laterd about them getting good apparel deals. something big got fucked with them and lakai that exposed the really flimsy foundation crail had

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2022, 02:03:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Completely forgot Julian Davis was on fourstar
[close]

the guy from korn?

You not rrrh rot
dot n dot n dot per rot
dot n not n dot per
n dot chi cot n dot rrr ah
dot dot ki o ma gri a dot
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2022, 02:11:27 AM »
Expand Quote
These stories of the absolute ramshackle quality of their clothing intrigue me. Does anybody else have any tales of buying four star clothing only to have your pants split an hour later?
[close]

Idk if I got lucky or what. Everything I had from Fourstar when I was actually hucking and slamming a lot outlasted almost everything else except Volcom. I still have a longsleeve with the pirate logo and a pair of jeans that have outlasted 3 pairs of Carhartts. My longest lasting favorite shirt was also Fourstar now that I think about it but I lost it after about 8 years of use.

I have similar experiences. I still have a black BA signature t-shirt from like 10 years ago with dozens and dozens of washes, still soft and very wearable. I also have a CK fleece hoody from like 5 years back which is kinda ugly but I love it, so comfy, my favorite hoody.

And the real pearl: street pirate knitted sweater from at least 15 years ago. Still break it out for christmas dinners etc.

I definitely agree that the world doesn't need any more shit quality clothing but if the quality is there, re-launching Four Star doesn't seem like the worst idea in this era of fashion. Sure it's mostly for 40 year olds nostalgia trippers but there are plenty of us.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2022, 02:28:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah that’s what I keep trying get going on here.   From what I remember, they secretly took the company away from those two aka the founders
[close]

From what I heard it was the opposite. Guy and Koston (plus Ishod and CK etc) were all getting big add ons to their Nike deals to package footwear and clothing as one sponsor, also lots of pressure to do so. Nike wanted those guys in head to toe Nike gear at street league etc. It was more money than those guys had trickling in from 4* so they bailed to take that check.
[close]

definitely not. tom gavin wouldn’t have cried in koston’s epicly laterd about them getting good apparel deals. something big got fucked with them and lakai that exposed the really flimsy foundation crail had

Well something shady was going on at Podium which precipitated Koston leaving Lakai.   I think that was established in that EL

The impression I got when he and Guy left Crail was that when the venture capital firm that came in and bought a piece of Crail, some fishy paperwork was shuffled around that took ownership of Fourstar away from Guy and Eric (and maybe the Royal founders - guy and Rudy?). 

Whether this is just Slap apocrypha or not, it’s hard to say.   Skateboarding doesn’t really have a paper of record for me to cite sources.   

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2022, 05:52:28 AM »
Thanks again to whoever was dropping tons of 4* samples at the Buffalo Exchange on Broadway in Denver 10+ years ago.  Kept my broke self semi fresh

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2022, 06:23:27 AM »
I just think it’s really hard to skate in LA and be in the industry as much as Carroll and Howard are and to not run into Guy and Koston. So do they have beef when they see each other? Do they ignore each other? Because I can’t imagine skateboarding with someone for 10+ years and then just never talk to them or want to skate with them.

Pastasash

• Rep: 61
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2022, 06:30:48 AM »
Ive been a big fan and wearing Fourstar since like 2009ish. Never had any complaints about their quality other than a few of their basic cotton tees that shrunk to a M from a L. Lot of their stuff I still wear that I wore bunch in HS that's holding up well.

A Trip Called Mapquest was my favorite back in the day, watched that constantly on my ipod touch.

Love this collab, might need everything minus the tshirt haha

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2022, 06:37:45 AM »
“One paper thin, skull and cross-crusierboard logo tshirt please!”

Maybe kids will like it like I did in 2008, but I definitely couldn’t be seen dead in that now haha. Lookin like I just strolled out of my 6 year old nephew’s arts & crafts screen printing birthday party where someone dressed as Jack Sparrow helped them make tshirts designs on primark blanks.

Mitch Brenner

• Rep: -14
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2022, 09:00:09 AM »
Anyone remember that four star gonz vision graphic shirt they made

When I was younger I was psyched on it. Looking back weird to just rock a shirt with a strangers face. I think they ended up rereleasing it with CK1's face on it. 

Mitch Brenner

• Rep: -14
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2022, 09:02:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Well something shady was going on at Podium which precipitated Koston leaving Lakai.   I think that was established in that EL

The impression I got when he and Guy left Crail was that when the venture capital firm that came in and bought a piece of Crail, some fishy paperwork was shuffled around that took ownership of Fourstar away from Guy and Eric (and maybe the Royal founders - guy and Rudy?). 

Whether this is just Slap apocrypha or not, it’s hard to say.   Skateboarding doesn’t really have a paper of record for me to cite sources.

That's what I remember reading somewhere is when the firm bought it they had access to the accounting books. Someone on the firm side noticed that Koston and Guy we're not getting the cut they were owed and only a percentage. I don't think Rick and Mike were necessarily stealing it for themselves but reinvesting it into Crail to keep it afloat. Memories fuzzy.

KBizzle

• Rep: -18
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2022, 11:35:28 AM »
I just think it’s really hard to skate in LA and be in the industry as much as Carroll and Howard are and to not run into Guy and Koston. So do they have beef when they see each other? Do they ignore each other? Because I can’t imagine skateboarding with someone for 10+ years and then just never talk to them or want to skate with them.

"Best friends" or close friends stop speaking regularly in real life. Can't be any different because these guys are skate bros. / legends. Money and business ruin friendships routinely.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2022, 12:47:38 PM »
Lets be real, Guy is the only one of the four out in the streets.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2022, 02:30:09 PM »
From Koston's Chromeball -

So why leave Girl in 2016? When did you ultimately make the decision and how did you go about doing so?

(laughs) Well, there was point where I made it very clear that I was thinking about leaving but would be willing to stay if certain things were addressed and taken care of. I honestly can’t get into everything but I will say that the acquisition of everything represented a huge question mark for me personally because I did not get a lot of information about things before or after. So as a partial owner, that was concerning to me.

Simply put, I just didn’t want to go along with it. But it happened anyway and I wasn’t happy with the way it all unfolded. I never wanted to go start a company at age 40. That was never in the plans. For the longest time, I never thought that I would ever leave Girl but things changed.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2022, 04:58:43 PM »
Here is some existing Fourstar stuff for dirt cheap.

https://tgmskateboards.com/brands/Fourstar.html?sort=priceasc&page=1
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

JoseCansnake0

• Rep: -37
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2022, 06:27:44 PM »

Who's buying the hobbit fedora?

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2022, 06:33:40 PM »

How reliable is this site? asking for a friend

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2022, 06:51:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Very reliable for the most part, ordered Fourstar products a few times and all item were in great condition and in stock. Only 1 Harsh Euro Barge t-shirt was out of stock, would have been cool to snag that piece of memorabilia
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2022, 07:01:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Very reliable for the most part, ordered Fourstar products a few times and all item were in great condition and in stock. Only 1 Harsh Euro Barge t-shirt was out of stock, would have been cool to snag that piece of memorabilia

Thanks! Ordered a Beanie!

Personally I love Fourstar. ALL of their videos are filled with insane skating and good vibes. The products look dope as fuck and have not failed me quality wise. I even bought a jacket twice because I lost it and loved it so much. Stoked on the comeback.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2022, 07:09:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've bought plenty of hard goods from TGM without any issues. Others on here have had negative experiences though (warped/blemished decks IIRC). I'm assuming if it's soft goods it'll be fine.

Bucketguy

• Rep: 15
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2022, 07:18:42 PM »
I’ve had a fourstar lined coaches jacket for years, it’s pretty fucked up now but I still wear it to work regularly

Vds

• Rep: -43
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2022, 07:04:14 PM »

I ordered a set of trucks  like 3 years ago, they are pretty good.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2022, 12:35:48 AM »
Honestly, I don't know if I was a one-off, as well, but 4Star apparel was always quality to me. I had t shirts, hats, and recently a dead stock beanie (TGM buy. Jan. 2021) from who knows when, and a button up since I was a fan back in 2006.  Never saw any issues with these. Maybe their pants were bad but everything else was standard fare?

I'd love to see them back and blend the youthful vigor of what made them dope but also be subtle for the adults who grew up with it.

I hope this one-off collaboration is a springboard for 4Star
Super Champion Fun Zone

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2022, 10:24:34 AM »
Yeah I hope 4star comes back strong. I had Max Schaff pants and they were the best but did end up ripping after a few years of heavy use. Superchampionfunzone is my fave
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2022, 05:02:48 PM »
Imagine if they had made a full video when Reynolds and Keenan were still on. That woulda been one for the ages...

I miss the look and quality of their ads. They had a good thing going for awhile. Clean and crispy.

JoseCansnake0

• Rep: -37
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2022, 05:53:31 PM »
Imagine if they had made a full video when Reynolds and Keenan were still on. That woulda been one for the ages...

I miss the look and quality of their ads. They had a good thing going for awhile. Clean and crispy.

God damn, what a team.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2022, 08:37:30 PM »
That Reynolds sequence could have been an Independent ad with that massive sticker.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Trilogy

• Rep: -230
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2022, 02:57:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

God damn, what a team.

So GOOD!!!!!

The team and ads of pre-2002 Four Star were so good it hurts!!!!

But wasn't Four Star the Mariano & Koston's Crailtap clothing brand?? If that being truth how can 4 Star come back???
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 12:14:20 PM by Trilogy »

wheelchair skitch

• Rep: -19
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2022, 09:00:55 AM »
manchild is a wet blanket on any skate video he is in... just cant stand him.

at what age does it become embarrassing to go by a nickname for marketing purposes?
BE LIKE WATER

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2022, 09:18:13 AM »
manchild is a wet blanket on any skate video he is in... just cant stand him.

at what age does it become embarrassing to go by a nickname for marketing purposes?

Beagle is still living that life.