Author Topic: How to improve style?  (Read 3125 times)

modern life is war

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
How to improve style?
« on: November 22, 2022, 07:56:57 AM »
I'm sure everyone gets this feeling where they watch footage of themselves and they think, 'YUCK do i really skate like THAT?'

How do you improve your style if you currently have bad style? Is it possible or are you just stuck this way? I'm a reasonably tall guy at 6'1 and it seems being tall is a disadvantage for having good style on a skateboard.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: How to improve style?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 08:22:02 AM »
i'm not a style guy but if i had to guess... loosen your trucks and go faster

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -61
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 08:44:56 AM »
Worst thing you can do is think "I want to skate like _____". Never try to skate like someone else.
I'm a tall guy too (6'4), i'd love to skate like Yuto Horigome but even if I emulated his movements perfectly it wouldn't look as good as him because I have a totally different body shape than him and I move differently.

Number one thing is get your tricks down solid, bolts. Eg - If your kickflips are mobbed, fix that and you now have a more useful kickflip and better style.
If you're tic tacking and flailing while you roll away from tricks, that's not your style, that's you not refining your tricks.
Style comes after perfecting the trick. Never before.

Another thing is, loosen up a little and bend your knees a little more.
This almost always improves your technique and style, especially for us tall kings.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 08:53:41 AM »
i dont think being tall is a disadvantage. i think it can make you stand out more,but you are just as capable of making a nice looking trick as anyone. reynolds, jake johnson, etc. tons of sick tall skaters make it happen because they put in a lot of effort. it is mostly a matter of being comfortable on your board. there is no shortcut. its just a matter of putting in a ton of time.

i think a lot of people skip steps. i definintely did. focused so mcuh on 3 flips when your kickflips are not perfect. etc. trying to do back smiths but you dont have back 5050s or back 5-0s that good. if you really spend the time learning each foundation, the next tricks come easier and look better.

in my mind a pro should be able to do every single trick on any board... that is someone who has really accomplished "skateboarding". some people just stay in their lane and thats cool. when i go on an old school board, i can still do all my tricks. its a little bit harder but i know the adjustmetns i need to make to get it to work just cuase i have done them so many times.
ONTARIO CANADA

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -61
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 09:38:49 AM »
i dont think being tall is a disadvantage. i think it can make you stand out more,but you are just as capable of making a nice looking trick as anyone. reynolds, jake johnson, etc. tons of sick tall skaters make it happen because they put in a lot of effort. it is mostly a matter of being comfortable on your board. there is no shortcut. its just a matter of putting in a ton of time.

The biggest struggle I have as a (very) tall guy is it's hard to not look stiff.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Ncqoa3X738s
That's the only short clip I have ready to post, but even on such a small trick I feel like I look so rigid.
I don't think I look bad, necessarily, but I'd love to have a more smooth, flowing style.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 10:41:40 AM »
One change I made as a tall guy after seeing footage of myself and thinking oh fukn gross is I don't grab either edge of my board. Only grab the nose or tail and Beanplant instead of boneless but to be honest I rarely do boneless or grabs anyway.
I don't wave my arms around. my theory is they are too tired from working to do any more unnecessary exercise so maybe get some type of labouring job

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 01:02:38 PM »
One change I made as a tall guy after seeing footage of myself and thinking oh fukn gross is I don't grab either edge of my board. Only grab the nose or tail and Beanplant instead of boneless but to be honest I rarely do boneless or grabs anyway.
I don't wave my arms around. my theory is they are too tired from working to do any more unnecessary exercise so maybe get some type of labouring job

Why don't you grab the sides of your board? Do you think it makes you bend over too far and look awkward or something?

I work in construction too so I feel you on waving your arms around, but I feel like my arms are too stiff if anything. Maybe that's the other end of the tired arms issue.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 01:11:26 PM »
Just to add to the discussion, I think feet placement can make or break style when skating transition. If you have your front foot too far forward it means when you crouch down you're likely to pull your knees together which looks wack, if you have your front foot in the right place (just behind front bolts for me) your knees will be more parallel when crouched and it looks more natural. I'm trying to unlearn the wide feet stance when skating transition, I think I've always just done it because it feels safer and more stable. Also I never skated much street so I never got that default ready to pop stance that street skaters have.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 02:10:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Why don't you grab the sides of your board? Do you think it makes you bend over too far and look awkward or something?

I work in construction too so I feel you on waving your arms around, but I feel like my arms are too stiff if anything. Maybe that's the other end of the tired arms issue.
my stiffness issue is more my back so I use my legs more with grabs. I could do all different tweaks of frontside grabs and stalefish like noseboned, tailbone, tucknee, methodish etc but my stupidly long legs being bent out all crazy. Looked like a frog or something. Nosegrab, crail, tail, seatbelt you can get your legs way more straight. Like nosegrab super rocket straight back leg.
I'm not some vert/transition guy anyway I don't need all the grabs

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 02:36:03 PM »
I'm sure everyone gets this feeling where they watch footage of themselves and they think, 'YUCK do i really skate like THAT?'

How do you improve your style if you currently have bad style? Is it possible or are you just stuck this way? I'm a reasonably tall guy at 6'1 and it seems being tall is a disadvantage for having good style on a skateboard.

I’m roughly the same height (6’2”) and I have found that doing “go to” tricks over and over has helped with my style immensely. For me it’s something like a crooked that I’ll do numerous times in a row and you start to feel the ones that look better stylistically. Once you feel more comfortable with those it’ll help you get a better feel for what tricks you do are more aesthetically pleasing.

Also I never really filmed much and started doing that and it’s helped. Well it helped me realize I got Pudwill arms lol, but now I know it I’m more cognizant of it and can tell if I should redo a trick or not.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 95
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 09:28:47 AM »
go fast and get your tricks down. people with the best style are always the most consistent

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 12:51:34 PM »
Enjoy what Bukowski has to say about style.. if you like it, go find the animated video of iconic tricks edited to his voice track..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HpgtW8tGfA
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2022, 08:26:52 PM »
Start skating when you are 10yos or preferable sooner.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2022, 09:48:44 PM »
Relax your shoulders and get low.
No, lower than that. You might think you’re low, but you look like Bambi.
Lower.
Lower.
Goddamit, this isn’t a grant application to the Ministry of Ugly Skating
Thats better.
Almost there.

To be clear, this advice is solely for me. But if it helps you, run with it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 10:30:45 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2022, 11:17:27 PM »
Just start faking it on your most consistent tricks.
 Dance. Have fun with your arms.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2022, 01:46:35 AM »
Don't worry about it. Just skate and get comfortable with how you look. You better get used to it because that's who you will be for the rest of your life.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2022, 02:52:53 AM »
Bend your knees when you land stuff. Keep those weird hand gestures mid-trick in check.

skatebruh

• Rep: 27
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2022, 05:52:08 AM »
Film the same trick several times until you get a clip you're happy with. That's what Reynolds does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWUHOpHII4A

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2022, 07:14:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m roughly the same height (6’2”) and I have found that doing “go to” tricks over and over has helped with my style immensely. For me it’s something like a crooked that I’ll do numerous times in a row and you start to feel the ones that look better stylistically. Once you feel more comfortable with those it’ll help you get a better feel for what tricks you do are more aesthetically pleasing.

i have watched Morgan Smith and Bobby DeKeyzer skate in person and they just do the same tricks over and over again. they would do like 20 kickflips in a row before moving on to another trick. hit the same grinds over and over again... like 20 nosegrinds back to back. 20 back tails etc. it is not enough for them to land it just 1 time
ONTARIO CANADA

vinithebr

• Rep: -25
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2022, 07:44:49 AM »
I have weird wide open gorila arms while doing anything, so what I do to not look ridiculous is to rest my arms closer to my body, like bending my elbow backwards instead of outwards, it still looks bad but not as bad.

Knowing that, reading stuff like:
Dance. Have fun with your arms.
is pretty funny.
I'm not saying it's a bad advice btw.

I'm not tall, and in general I look uncomfortable as fuck skating, it's probably because I don't cruise around often, but I do have a lot of tricks down really well. All my time was spent practicing tricks, the state of the aslphalt and sidewalks here is horrible and I used to live too far from any skatepark.

Enjoy what Bukowski has to say about style.. if you like it, go find the animated video of iconic tricks edited to his voice track..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HpgtW8tGfA
Dunk old man talks danger of having sex, and domestic animals.
Good vid.

Tight Pants Big Wheels

• Rep: -8
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2022, 06:13:30 AM »
Like others have mentioned, it's my arms and hands that look akward on the few videos I've seen. I don't mind what my legs and posture look like too much, but I look like I'm doing the robot dance with my arms.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2022, 09:43:45 AM »
Most people look like shit when they skate.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

lydius

• Rep: 40
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2022, 10:31:47 AM »
agree with lots that's been said. go fast(er), get your go-to tricks really consistent, and just develop more confidence in your setup. be mindful of things that help you have especially good seshes, whether it's stretching, music, footage, or a certain indica that just works.
strike a balance between what you think is ergonomically correct (i.e. looks good) and what comes naturally.
don't be afraid to change up foot placement, i resonate with the earlier comment about avoiding knees bending inwards.
get some other skaters' opinions on whether you're really riding too small or too large of a board.

BallparkFrank

• Rep: 11
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2022, 07:29:06 AM »
Keep that duck butt tucked in

switchfakie

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2023, 07:15:10 PM »
this is gonna sound corny and lame asf

but analyze the skater you enjoy watching the most

look at the way they dress, what their arms are doing midair, the way they land, the way they push

if you pick up on the small details, you can slowly incorporate them into your own skating, emphasis on slowly. if you try doing them all at once, itll be immediately obvious you have fake style

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2023, 11:02:39 PM »
If im working on making a trick more stylish I usually just do the same trick over and over again until you can figure out a tweak that either makes it look better or makes it more comfortable to do (less effort involved compared to technique), then I work on upper body later (if at all possible) and try to keep my arms down. Fuck else can i do out here

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2023, 08:39:09 AM »
Taking it back to the basics is a good way to work on your posture or body movements - like just go to the park and focus on Ollieing everything as fast as you can till it feels super smooth - then keep working way up with different tricks etc.
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

Marsh not mellow

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2023, 09:13:39 AM »
If im working on making a trick more stylish I usually just do the same trick over and over again until you can figure out a tweak that either makes it look better or makes it more comfortable to do (less effort involved compared to technique), then I work on upper body later (if at all possible) and try to keep my arms down. Fuck else can i do out here

The above is gospel.

Also, yoga. After I watched the Peralta doc on surfer Gerry Lopez I felt compelled to blatanly copy the following idea from Gerry: I can learn to do these difficult yoga poses and learn this control/balance and the bring THAT energy to the surfboard.

So yes, you read right, you must pose more - yoga pose.

kook1234

• Rep: 132
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2023, 10:25:40 AM »
pay attention to your back leg when you pop.  are you bending it in?  dont

my bad cuh

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2023, 11:38:37 AM »
tall guy pro tip: dont
flail around enough and it'll start to look good