Author Topic: any one got advice for a guy who just turned 20?  (Read 2452 times)

graibe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -53
any one got advice for a guy who just turned 20?
« on: November 22, 2022, 01:58:05 PM »
Its my birfday today and im 20 now. what can I expect from being in my 20s?? what should I avoid doing? What should I focus on? skateboarding and non-skateboarding-related answers are welcome....

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
Re: any one got advice for a guy who just turned 20?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 03:00:33 PM »
School is a waste of time.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 03:07:53 PM »
It's not time to make a change
Just relax, take it easy
You're still young, that's your fault
There's so much you have to know
Find a girl, settle down
If you want you can marry
Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy

I was once like you are now
And I know that it's not easy
To be calm when you've found
Something going on
But take your time, think a lot
Think of everything you've got
For you will still be here tomorrow
But your dreams may not

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P6zaCV4niKk

Captain No Cab

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 03:35:12 PM »
Start actively stretching/ yoga, you can thank me later
If you sk8, you know, when you bite into that spring-roll

Kumiko

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 05:47:29 PM »
Happy birthday!

I don't know what you're like as a person so I can't offer any real advice, but I'd say it's never too early or late to start developing good habits toward yourself like learning to cook and eating healthy or getting into a groove of regularly cleaning your living space. IDK. Be young, have fun, stay cool.
i love skateboarding all the time, but sometimes i wish i was one of those douchebags who hangs out with hot girls and parties every week

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 05:52:58 PM »
Happy birthday, foo.

Like Captain No Cab said, do stretches daily. Also get some resistance bands and do some light workouts just to keep your body right. At your age I did a lot of leg workouts to help with pop and to make sure they didn’t get tired as much.

Tbh, ignore long term dating, most relationships at that age don’t last anyway so you’re just taking up time you could be doing something you like.

Enjoy not getting hangovers after 4 beers, after like 28 your body just decides to not handle hangovers as well.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 06:57:06 PM »
Happy birthday dude! I’ll give you the same advice my old man gave me when I turned 18.

Never waste a boner, never trust a cop, never trust a fart, and never teabag a cannibal.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 09:14:13 PM »
Brush and floss. Go to the dentist. Pay your taxes. act 15% dumber and 15% nicer than you really are. Learn to cook. Always Clean up after yourself sooner rather than later. Avoid sunburn. You don't need 99% of the things you want.

graibe

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 09:16:15 PM »
Happy birthday, foo.

Like Captain No Cab said, do stretches daily. Also get some resistance bands and do some light workouts just to keep your body right. At your age I did a lot of leg workouts to help with pop and to make sure they didn’t get tired as much.

Tbh, ignore long term dating, most relationships at that age don’t last anyway so you’re just taking up time you could be doing something you like.

Enjoy not getting hangovers after 4 beers, after like 28 your body just decides to not handle hangovers as well.

yeah i been ignoring long term dating, never been in a serious thing. but idk man sometimes i feel like having a gf is less of a waste of time than going out on dates with different women. maybe ill just ignore dating and go skating.

graibe

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 09:17:00 PM »
Brush and floss. Go to the dentist. Pay your taxes. act 15% dumber and 15% nicer than you really are. Learn to cook. Always Clean up after yourself sooner rather than later. Avoid sunburn. You don't need 99% of the things you want.
I definitely gots to floss. I already got gingivitis.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2022, 09:22:51 PM »
Its my birfday today and im 20 now. what can I expect from being in my 20s?? what should I avoid doing? What should I focus on? skateboarding and non-skateboarding-related answers are welcome....

try to avoid addiction or addictive behavior. don't pile out. learn a job that makes money asap.

i piled out hard in my twenties and now i'm very poor in my 30s and getting out of line of "career" is pretty hard. being somewhat financially secure will take a lot of stress off of you as well.

don't get catfished into working for free for anyone. always get payed, never do something on the promise of a connection or whatever. don't get distracted from your own goals.

be accountable for your own fuck ups and learn from them so you don't repeat them in the future.

EDIT: oh, and happy birthday of course. hope you had a sick day

graibe

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2022, 09:30:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

try to avoid addiction or addictive behavior. don't pile out. learn a job that makes money asap.

i piled out hard in my twenties and now i'm very poor in my 30s and getting out of line of "career" is pretty hard. being somewhat financially secure will take a lot of stress off of you as well.

don't get catfished into working for free for anyone. always get payed, never do something on the promise of a connection or whatever. don't get distracted from your own goals.

be accountable for your own fuck ups and learn from them so you don't repeat them in the future.

i definitely gotta avoid addictive behavior. my father is notorious for his little drug binges every now and again and everyone in my family has had their problems with substance abuse.. also the money thing... im going to school to become a musician and that is no money maker lol.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2022, 11:01:44 PM »
Happy birthday, may God bless you.

Staying away from drugs (at least hard ones) is certainly a good idea. Booze is not healthy in the long run unless you manage to be a moderate drinker. Don‘t follow everything your „friends“ do just because they are „cool“, try to make up your own mind.

I would also encourage you to keep skating, which I gave up around your age and only took up again more than 20 years later, just to wonder what I could have achieved if I had kept at it in the first place.

Being a musician is great but you have to be very honest to yourself about your talent and skills. It might turn out at some point you don‘t have „it“, so it might be wise to branch out to at least have a back up plan oder side gig you can rely on should you not be able to make a living off of music.

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2022, 11:57:34 PM »
Happy birthday

Travel as much as possible. Look into getting working holiday visa's for other countries. Check to see if you can claim another passport due to your parents/grandparents.

Learn to cook or bartend, they are the easiest jobs to travel with and normally you have the day off to skate. 

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2022, 12:43:27 AM »
Happy birthday!
Now is the time to live it up, try to have as much fun as you can but also be responsible.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2022, 01:57:33 AM »
Oh yeah don't get any chick pregnant.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2022, 02:01:45 AM »
Wear condoms.. if you drink soft drink regularly, stop now and only have one as a treat.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2022, 03:22:15 AM »
Also tho if you know you want to have kids kind of think about it a tiny bit now. Not saying jump in at 20 or anythinf but I know a lot of people who had kids at like 35 and they're all like they should of done it ten years earlier.
I never wanted kids but now in my mid 30s realise it's kinda not even an option now.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2022, 03:43:30 AM »
Lube

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2022, 04:17:09 AM »
everything is good in moderation. if so meting seems to good to be true, it probably is, the grass is always greener on the other side.
social media is not real life.

buy that dirt bike you've been thinking about

Tic-Tac God

• Rep: 5
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2022, 05:29:48 AM »
If you have a menial job and it gives you push back for any reason, quit. You can replace one menial job with another menial job pretty easily. I missed a few concerts and skate events in my youth because I had to come in Saturday for 3 hours to cover a kitchen shift. Made probably 30 bucks but missed out on a lifetime of memories.

chris

• Rep: 402
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2022, 05:42:58 AM »
Come as you are, clean as you go.

Think hard about the people in your life and make the effort to not let the good ones slip away.

Make good faith attempts at understanding where other people coming from, even when they’re saying some crazy shit.

When you fuck up, make it right.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2022, 05:53:15 AM »
Lube

Definitely didn't know about this one until well after I should have learned.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2022, 05:53:25 AM »

Bumping this one. All solid advice.

I would also say school is not "a waste of time" if you know what you want out of it.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2022, 06:12:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
i definitely gotta avoid addictive behavior. my father is notorious for his little drug binges every now and again and everyone in my family has had their problems with substance abuse.. also the money thing... im going to school to become a musician and that is no money maker lol.

but you're going to school for something and earning skills, so sounds like you're on the right path. you might not end up making a lot selling your own music, but you can be involved in the whole thing and know what you're doing and that is great.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2022, 06:52:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Hey man!  39 here.  Hang with me...

Don't go to music school...  There is a WEALTH of information out there.  If you're motivated, you can easily find the Theory, Harmony, and Ear Training knowledge you'll need.  I went to Berklee College of Music, which was a dream of mine, and am still paying it off. 

Find a master of your instrument that does Skype lessons and study privately with them as often as you can afford, and play music with other people as often as you can.  You'd be amazed how many "virtuoso's" there were at Berklee that could barely play in a group context from the jump.

This isn't trying to discourage you at all.  Just sharing some advice that I wish I would've followed before going 10's of thousands of dollars in debt.  Not worth it when the average gig for MOST musicians is $100 a night or upwards of $300-$500 for more quality gigs.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2022, 08:52:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bumping this one. All solid advice.

I would also say school is not "a waste of time" if you know what you want out of it.

lots of sage advice in this thread, and especially in the two right here. and teeth issues are random, but really can ruin a day when you get older especially--i have learned the hard way.

i'm 51, and what i will add to this thread is that despite what it may seem like some days, and despite what some people want you to believe, there are far more good people in the world, than bad...

Blind Fisherman

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2022, 09:35:02 AM »
Happy birthday, dude. Enjoy yourself, take in every small moment you can, love yourself and listen to some of the old heads when they're talking - you just might learn a good life lesson or you can learn what to avoid if you don't want to end up like the ones who piled out hard.
Also, leave your hometown and see what other places have to offer. The world is much larger than what you can see from your front yard.

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2022, 09:42:14 AM »
Live with your parents for as long as you can and use that money you save to travel as much as possible.

Dont wait on your friends or anyone to do the stuff you want to do.

Dont dive to deep into your local skate scene, keep with the people who you have a actual connection with outside of skating.

My biggest regret is not getting a degree, it makes moving to a new place and finding a decent job alot easier.

I'm only 28 but it felt like my 20s so far been a rollercoaster, alot of ups, alot of downs, alot of re-evaluating life. But you'll make the most of it.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2022, 09:57:05 AM »
Live with your parents for as long as you can and use that money you save to travel as much as possible.

Dont wait on your friends or anyone to do the stuff you want to do.

Dont dive to deep into your local skate scene, keep with the people who you have a actual connection with outside of skating.

My biggest regret is not getting a degree, it makes moving to a new place and finding a decent job alot easier.

I'm only 28 but it felt like my 20s so far been a rollercoaster, alot of ups, alot of downs, alot of re-evaluating life. But you'll make the most of it.

These two rank highly in things I'd do differently if I lived my late teens/twenties over again.